ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP/FC: Not to hammer another crappy fan base, but about Rutgres

rutgres is ridiculous.

rutgres.jpg

maybe they should focus on NOT LOSING to a MAC team that was 0-58 against Power 5 teams

and stop trashing the PSU football program

#Justsayin

How is a fan base expected to focus on NOT LOSING to a MAC team?

Perhaps our fan base should have focused more on beating Michigan last year.

LdN

At the risk of sounding like a cranky old man.....which I am....but at the Pitt game this weekend, I saw our students and some younger alumni less than nice to Pitt's band and some of their fans. Including some older Pitt fans. Our side was the instigator.

Sadly, it happens. There are pricks in every crowd. Fortunately, I did not witness such nonsense from either side on Saturday.

At the risk of sounding like a cranky old man.....which I am....but at the Pitt game this weekend, I saw our students and some younger alumni less than nice to Pitt's band and some of their fans. Including some older Pitt fans. Our side was the instigator.
I was not at the game, but a Pitt friend who was told me the same thing. It is disappointing, but all fan bases have aholes and no amount of preaching from the coaches or the AD will change that. When I held season tickets I had more problems from our own fans (drunk, rude, foul mouthed) than anyone else, which is one of the reasons I gave up my seats. Sadly, crude behavior has become an American institution and it is getting worse every year.

I was not at the game, but a Pitt friend who was told me the same thing. It is disappointing, but all fan bases have aholes and no amount of preaching from the coaches or the AD will change that. When I held season tickets I had more problems from our own fans (drunk, rude, foul mouthed) than anyone else, which is one of the reasons I gave up my seats. Sadly, crude behavior has become an American institution and it is getting worse every year.

my opinion is that people selling the "Joe Knew" t shirts stoke these fires.

maybe people would be drunk and rude anyway. and maybe people are antagonized by the worst parts of a fan base. Most Big Ten fan bases have nothing but praise for PSU

maybe people would be drunk and rude anyway. and maybe people are antagonized by the worst parts of a fan base. Most Big Ten fan bases have nothing but praise for PSU

I did not see any of those shirts, but I was not at the stadium long before I went in to my seat.

Unfortunate. Youth is a disease, but it can be cured. Mostly.

We were lucky enough to have the Pitt cheerleaders and dance team and the Panther walk right past our tailgate. We said 'welcome to PSU', and high-fived them, and they were all smiles and waves and high-fives in return. All nice stuff.
(Ok, ok, perhaps some of us then watched them walk away for a longer period of time than is socially acceptable, but maleness is a disease that we can only hope to contain, but can never really stop.)

Btw, and I'm sure inquisitive minds want to know, that Panther cannot hold a candle to our Nittany Lion (but then again, can any other mascot?). They need a re-do on that costume.
And that's your new opinion for the morning.

Last edited:
So I'm driving to NY from Florida and I stop in Cherry Hill NJ for the night. I went to a bar last night and all the staff were wearing eagles jerseys. So I asked one of the bar backs if they make the shitty employees wear Rutgers jerseys on Saturdays. Turns out he is a Rutgers season ticket holder and didn't like my question too much.

I did not see any of those shirts, but I was not at the stadium long before I went in to my seat.

I don't think the cowards actually went out there to sell the shirts

but I think their provocation on social media, and (let's face it), the idiots who post to their chat boards don't do much to endear themselves to Penn State fans

You may be right, but we have always held ourselves to a higher standard, regardless of the opponent. That said, I realize if you have over 100,000 fans in a stadium, a certain percentage will be obnoxious and no one can change that. My answer was to give up my seats and I have become more comfortable with that decision as each year goes by. I can fully appreciate the joy of being at the game on a beautiful day when the result is a victory, but I will also tell you I had a terrific time at home and saved a bunch of money in the process.

So I'm driving to NY from Florida and I stop in Cherry Hill NJ for the night. I went to a bar last night and all the staff were wearing eagles jerseys. So I asked one of the bar backs if they make the shitty employees wear Rutgers jerseys on Saturdays. Turns out he is a Rutgers season ticket holder and didn't like my question too much.
Which bar?

You may be right, but we have always held ourselves to a higher standard, regardless of the opponent. That said, I realize if you have over 100,000 fans in a stadium, a certain percentage will be obnoxious and no one can change that. My answer was to give up my seats and I have become more comfortable with that decision as each year goes by. I can fully appreciate the joy of being at the game on a beautiful day when the result is a victory, but I will also tell you I had a terrific time at home and saved a bunch of money in the process.

agreed, and Franklin did a great job encouraging fans to stay classy.

there's only so much you can do.

and for the records, I fully support PSU fans telling our own to STFU when appropriate

maybe they should focus on NOT LOSING to a MAC team that was 0-58 against Power 5 teams

and stop trashing the PSU football program

#Justsayin
You post what Rutgers should focus on (not losing...), without indicating what you believe they are in fact focusing on? Was there something specific, or was this just a "wow, look at who Rutgers lost to this week"? Also, is this somehow relevant to Penn State, or just a bash Rutgers post? As I always say when people post about Pitt, is that posting about them makes them more relevant and allows their fans to believe that they are our rivals.

Reactions: TenerHallTerror
You post what Rutgers should focus on (not losing...), without indicating what you believe they are in fact focusing on? Was there something specific, or was this just a "wow, look at who Rutgers lost to this week"? Also, is this somehow relevant to Penn State, or just a bash Rutgers post? As I always say when people post about Pitt, is that posting about them makes them more relevant and allows their fans to believe that they are our rivals.

I was mostly referring to their "EFF PENN STATE" chants and other detestable fan behavior during game week since they "joined" the Big Ten

Dan, all posts about Rutgers should be welcomed here because Rutgers is our BIG RIVAL. ;)

I will add that this week will be a big test for the Scarlet Knights. They play Morgan State who has lost to Towson and Albany by a combined score of 36-0. The question is, can Morgan State score for the 1st time this year against the vaunted Rutgers defense? And if they score, can they take the lead at some point in the game? And if they take the lead at some point in the game, can they win it? And if they win it, can Rutgers be thrown out of the BigTen before next week's game?:confused:

Last edited:
Miller's ale House... it's attached to some hotel.

That is about 2 miles from where I live. The hotel is the "aloft" hotel and is supposed to be nice. Not surprising that they were wearing Eagles shirts, considering it was the first Eagles game yesterday. It's an OK place, and it's big saving grace is that it's 2 miles from where I live.

Was he wearing a "Kick Me" sign on his back?

(Ok, ok, perhaps some of us then watched them walk away for a longer period of time than is socially acceptable, but maleness is a disease that we can only hope to contain, but can never really stop.).
Flag! Most phones have cameras these days...perhaps the board may want a little visual evidence of what extended your gaze.

Reactions: Woodpecker

Wanted to give your post a "like" but somehow that seemed wrong.
I agree. The fans booed so loud the pitt band was drowned out. Its the first time I've seen that happen at PSU and I was not a fan of it.

What are the odds of meeting a Rutgers season ticket holder, who has a steady job too? Must be a million to one.

I also saw none of those shirts on Saturday.

LOL, neither did I and I specifically walked past that part of the stadium.
It was the typical Liar posters who have internet muscles and wanted the rest of the Liar board to "like" them.
Obviously the pitt fans that attended have absolutely nothing to do with the Liar board since they actually took the time to drive 3 hours to go to a game and support their team.

Wanted to give your post a "like" but somehow that seemed wrong.
I agree. The fans booed so loud the pitt band was drowned out. Its the first time I've seen that happen at PSU and I was not a fan of it.

I'm actually surprised Pitt has a band. Are they also rented?

Reactions: odshowtime
Flag! Most phones have cameras these days...perhaps the board may want a little visual evidence of what extended your gaze.

I hear ya, and my unstoppable maleness agrees. I accept the 15 minute penalty without challenge.

However, traditional strategery around containing the maleness says.... There's being subtly socially unacceptable, and then there's old guys being blatantly creepy. As Confucius (iirc) said, Be ye not creepy, so that ye may gaze unfettered yet again next week.

Can you imagine the cultural outrage of certain posters here had I posted photos?! :eek: He would be aghast yet again this morning, and would need to find thon....er.... tongs to continue typing.

As Confucius (iirc) said, Be ye not creepy, so that ye may gaze unfettered yet again next week.

Can you imagine the cultural outrage of certain posters here had I posted photos?! :eek: He would be aghast yet again this morning, and would need to find thon....er.... tongs to continue typing.
Okay, this is seriously one of the funniest posts I've ever read - well played sir!

Unfortunate. Youth is a disease, but it can be cured. Mostly.

We were lucky enough to have the Pitt cheerleaders and dance team and the Panther walk right past our tailgate. We said 'welcome to PSU', and high-fived them, and they were all smiles and waves and high-fives in return. All nice stuff.
(Ok, ok, perhaps some of us then watched them walk away for a longer period of time than is socially acceptable, but maleness is a disease that we can only hope to contain, but can never really stop.)

Btw, and I'm sure inquisitive minds want to know, that Panther cannot hold a candle to our Nittany Lion (but then again, can any other mascot?). They need a re-do on that costume.
And that's your new opinion for the morning.
The Pitt dance team (don't know if they have a name), they do a great job and they look spectacular.

CulzFXXXgAAzcAV.jpg

I was there, and I saw nothing consistent with your hearsay statement.

I was there, and I saw nothing consistent with your hearsay statement.
Yes, it was hearsay, but from a good Pitt friend who has always been straight with me. If you dismiss his account, there is that of psuro, who observed the conduct first hand, and his veracity on this board has never been questioned.

Yes, it was hearsay, but from a good Pitt friend who has always been straight with me. If you dismiss his account, there is that of psuro, who observed the conduct first hand, and his veracity on this board has never been questioned.

So be it. I'm telling you what I saw with my own eyes -- our fans being gracious hosts.

And since you're pressing the point, I saw mostly good conduct by Pitt fans, but I did see a handful who were needlessly provocative. Our fans -- at least to this specific incident -- taking the Nar-dog high road

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT