ADVERTISEMENT

Shane Grifith?

7brwnpsu - you gave me a like. Did you know him? He's my cousin on my mom's side of the family.
I remember Don Thomas at Sharon. He was head coach in the late 70’s and/or early 80’s iirc. Long-time Grove City coach, Marty Ruley (who coached Tom and Erin Tomeo, both of whom are mentioned in this thread, and former PSU wrestler, Wes Phipps), started his high school coaching career with Don as his assistant for a season (77’-78’), then Don took over when Marty went to GC the following season.

Sharon was your typical western PA steel mill town then - great football (former Pitt AA Rande Holloway and long-time college and pro assistant coach Terryl Austin were both great players for them in 70s and 80s, respectively)- but suffered hard times when steel industry shut down. From what I know, Don was a well respected administrator within the school district. Wrestling was a low priority sport at the school when he coached but I know some of his former wrestlers. The economic collapse and corresponding population decline of the city- and all of the problems that accompany that- were the issues that Don dealt with during his tenure as coach, so countering cradles was probably more of a distraction than a focus.

We would like see lots of great photos when you get back!!!
Was more of a family trip than photo trip, though I did have my camera. But I did catch this White Ibis with my phone while eating breakfast in Tarpon Springs FL.

197596181_10158078027480812_1499819356897841136_n.jpg

Was more of a family trip than photo trip, though I did have my camera. But I did catch this White Ibis with my phone while eating breakfast in Tarpon Springs FL.

Sorry.....but that bird is not white :). More like a Saltine color.......perhaps we should call it a Crac...........oops......Nevermind :)

Reactions: Palicia5605
I would hope PSU department admissions admistrators accept a Stanford UG Degree for entrance into most of our related Graduate programs. ;-/

• Haha
Reactions: Dogwelder

Did you eat at Hellas, great Greek restaurant.

Reactions: yekrut321
Did you eat at Hellas, great Greek restaurant.
Hellas is a bit touristy but solid. My sister has lived around the corner from the sponge docks for nearly 30 years, and have their own business (a music store, Tarpon Strings), so I let them steer when I'm in town, and they usually take me to Costa's, sometimes Mama's.

While I sit here eating some Chicken Carbonara at a local pizza joint (I kid you not), I came across this segment.

This should be the last update (felt it was worth sharing) but probably won't be lol: Corby/Willie on The First Word basically made it sound like he's down to staying at Stanford or UNC. No mention of any more planned visits anywhere.

Reactions: backdrft76
I think Joe Lee might be happier than Shane right now.
I still don't think Joe gets handed the spot next year. With 4 returning champs + Max Dean + Kerkvliet + Bartlett/Van Ness ... I think Cael will consider pulling Facundo if he sees him potentially scoring points for us at Nationals. Kid's defense is there, can he learn enough offense? We shall see. I obviously prefer to shirt him but the fact there were rumors of him going OTC and then not makes me think Cael wants him on board just in case.

EDIT: Time to lock this and the Wick thread and start discussing Joe Lee at 157 and Alex Facundo at 165 on another?

Reactions: backdrft76
I still don't think Joe gets handed the spot next year. With 4 returning champs + Max Dean + Kerkvliet + Bartlett/Van Ness ... I think Cael will consider pulling Facundo if he sees him potentially scoring points for us at Nationals. Kid's defense is there, can he learn enough offense? We shall see. I obviously prefer to shirt him but the fact there were rumors of him going OTC and then not makes me think Cael wants him on board just in case.

EDIT: Time to lock this and the Wick thread and start discussing Joe Lee at 157 and Alex Facundo at 165 on another?
Yeah, lets add weigh struggles to Joe’s list of “problems”, great move.

Why not Facundo at 157 and Lee at 165? As long as we are spitballing :)

Well, Penn State will enter the season the same as last season with the exception of Max Dean coming and Brady Berge going. Perhaps someone steps up at 149, 157, and 165? Losing Howard hurts though.

McSoreley is simply offering another discussion point. Joe was at 165 both his redshirt year and last year so I'm not confident he could cut to 57 or be worth anything if he did. But, we also don't know if he's had a relatively easy cut to 65, either of those years (maybe he was "growing into" the weight). We can all rest assured that Cael has a plan and whatever it is, it will be the best for the program given the kids we have. That is a very simplistic take, but it's the truth.

McSoreley is simply offering another discussion point. Joe was at 165 both his redshirt year and last year so I'm not confident he could cut to 57 or be worth anything if he did. But, we also don't know if he's had a relatively easy cut to 65, either of those years (maybe he was "growing into" the weight). We can all rest assured that Cael has a plan and whatever it is, it will be the best for the program given the kids we have. That is a very simplistic take, but it's the truth.
Appreciate that. I don't actually think it's a good idea either. Just a running joke since it's inevitable.

Based on what I see with Facundo, he's not ready to do much as a true freshman. Very raw offensively, strong defense though but the sky is the limit. Joe Lee, if he can be fixed has the higher ceiling IMO. That being said, if Cael thinks he can get Facundo caught up in the room very quickly, he might consider it if he sees it making a difference in the team race. If that is the case then either Joe goes down or he just sits.

I assume you are limiting this assessment to next year only? If so I tend to agree, but long term Facundo's ceiling might not have a limit.
Correct, I should have clarified. Joe's ceiling next year is higher IMO. Joe has proven he can beat NQ level guys if he has his head screwed on right (and is healthy)

I think Facundo is set for a Starocci path. I think he's really going to struggle to get takedowns in the room at first but once he breaks through ....

The Starocci comparison is pretty good. Facundo has spectacular defense; the offense will come. I think he’s also going to be a guy that, because he’s so hard to take down cleanly, will regularly turn someone’s shot into 2 of his own.

Reactions: pointingdogsrule
The Starocci comparison is pretty good. Facundo has spectacular defense; the offense will come. I think he’s also going to be a guy that, because he’s so hard to take down cleanly, will regularly turn someone’s shot into 2 of his own.
I actually want to revise my comparison haha. I actually see a little bit of Mekhi Lewis in Facundo. I think Carter can turn into a guy who racks up 4NF pretty easy from the top position, not sure that's Facundo.

I actually want to revise my comparison haha. I actually see a little bit of Mekhi Lewis in Facundo. I think Carter can turn into a guy who racks up 4NF pretty easy from the top position, not sure that's Facundo.
The size doesn't work, but he reminds me a lot of Nico. His splits are always going to keep him in matches. Total pain to wrestle. If he can figure out a way to consistently score a takedown or two per match, he's a really tough draw in March, but could also end up losing a ton of 3-2 matches early in his career.

Reactions: McScoreley
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT