ADVERTISEMENT

Shane Grifith?

Not hiring internally when they have 2 coaches that are highly qualified makes 0 sense. One of them has been a HC at Penn (Tirapelle) and the other has given 14 years to the school (Ray Blake)
Not to mention Stanford's former head coach, who's running your RTC (No idea if Kerry would be interested or not). Seems crazy to me to look outside at this stage of the offseason after so bumpy a previous year.

Reactions: bwfight
Yeah. Shane should just come to PSU already. Do we know what the deadlines are, if any, for him to apply to grad school(s)?
Or, maybe more relevantly, do Penn State grad schools admit on a rolling basis or do they admit en masse on specific predetermined dates.?

Not to mention Stanford's former head coach, who's running your RTC (No idea if Kerry would be interested or not). Seems crazy to me to look outside at this stage of the offseason after so bumpy a previous year.
None of Kerry, Blake, nor Tirapelle have a great resume. Put it this way, if a Big-10 head-coaching job opens up, and all interested candidates in the country apply, would Blake, Kerry, and Tirapelle be sure finalists? I doubt it.

None of Kerry, Blake, nor Tirapelle have a great resume. Put it this way, if a Big-10 head-coaching job opens up, and all interested candidates in the country apply, would Blake, Kerry, and Tirapelle be sure finalists? I doubt it.
Sure--but they sure ain't gonna be any where near a B1G quality team if they don't keep some of the studs in the stable. It seems you might need to buy some loyalty up until you can start manufacturing it again. Varner is definitely an interesting wrinkle, though.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Not sure if true at all, but someone posted Rob Koll interviewed for the position. I don’t know why he would want to leave an established position at a top ten team to go rebuild Stanford. Not to mention the difference in cost of living in Ithaca vs Palo Alto

Not sure if true at all, but someone posted Rob Koll interviewed for the position. I don’t know why he would want to leave an established position at a top ten team to go rebuild Stanford. Not to mention the difference in cost of living in Ithaca vs Palo Alto
Maybe he realizes that if he doesn't want to miss out on making those $millions, getting into the Stanford MBA grad program is the way to go. ;-)

I actually heard we lead ... he's taking his chances at PSU because Cael apparently has a speech therapist that can help Shane get rid of his surfer accent.
I heard Bordeaux will help Shane speak upper crust old money in no time. :)

tumblr_mg4crfne8u1rvcjd7o3_250.gif

Off topic but what happened to Evan wick
Still undecided it appears ... or maybe just unannounced. The question is, is he looking at other schools besides PSU and Cal Poly? Possible he is but if not, it's pretty obvious Griffith might put him in limbo. Maybe Cael will take him whenever but I doubt he promises to stop recruiting Shane. Or better yet, does Cael take him if Griffith drops us as a result? It's an interesting dilemma for sure.

What do you guys do?
1. Take Wick guaranteed now
2. Take a risk at Griffith but losing him, you lost Wick also

This would make me a sad panda.
I understand the interest angle on both sides, and nobody couldn't celebrate it for him, but I think it'd be a great loss.
HUGE loss, not many teams can claim having a HWT Oly champ on the staff. JV could still beat the majority of guys in the country, we cant afford to lose him PERIOD.

Not hiring internally when they have 2 coaches that are highly qualified makes 0 sense. One of them has been a HC at Penn (Tirapelle) and the other has given 14 years to the school (Ray Blake)

This basically feels like the administrator is saying, okay you win but we get the last laugh since you had the nerve to made us look bad for a few months: go find a new job.
Yeah the “and staff” part is definitely interesting. Interestingly Blake did say on FRL that if he was still there regarding the guys in the portal that he’d tell them if he thought they’d be better off elsewhere. Hopefully they can easily get jobs elsewhere if they’re not retained by Stanford.

I guess it makes some sense since it’d probably be awkward given the situation. But I’d also think the situation would make it seem like a risky job for a new guy coming in. I assume they got some reassurance that it won’t happen again (likely backed by monetary evidence of what was/will be donated).

Maybe he realizes that if he doesn't want to miss out on making those $millions, getting into the Stanford MBA grad program is the way to go. ;-)
FYI - do a little research about the careers of Brett and Clinton Matter whose father is none other than Andy Matter from Penn State. Both Brett and Clinton went to Penn and followed up by going to the Wharton school of business which is one of the premier MBA programs in the US. They ended up doing pretty well and their wrestling background certainly didn't hurt either. They received some good mentorship from former Penn wrestler, Dave Pottruck who was the past president of Charles Schwab.

If “touchy“ is calling you out for correcting MY mistake without even responding to someone correcting YOURS,then yes, touchy. Pobodys Nerfect

Can’t imagine this will make people want to stick around more unless it is a slam dunk hire. Blake seemed like the right choice to me but we’ll see what they come up with.
Maybe we got this all wrong and Shane is coming to PSU to interview Cael for the Stanford head coaching position.:eek: If Koll takes the job, could we see Kyle Dake coaching Cornell?

It was confirmed on Cornell's forum. edit: well that he interviewed at least and is "seriously considering it"
maybe he didn't like how Cornel handled a few things this past year. Do they have Freshperson's too? Can't believe PSU doesn't have more important things to review...

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
Depends. When I went to Stanford a lot of professors and staff were leased properties by the university at incredibly low rates. Plus Palo Alto is a whole lot nicer than Ithaca.

If Koll takes the job, could we see Kyle Dake coaching Cornell?
I feel like it would be Mike Grey’s to lose— in my mind, he is the best assistant coach in America not named Cunningham or Sanderson.

I could see Dake becoming an assistant, but probably not until he feels like he’s done wrestling.

Reactions: creamery freak
Unless he stopped recently Dake is already an assistant, I've seen him in the corner plenty of times.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT