ADVERTISEMENT

Shane Grifith?

I got bored so I did a @dicemen99 attempt (I'm nowhere near as talented as him) if we get Griffith. I believe Max Dean should have a redshirt (Ivies are weird in that they don't allow them but I always thought NCAA went by years since enrollment rules and he's not in the Ivy League anymore) He delayed enrollment from HS and then wrestled 2018/2019, used an Olympic redshirt in 2020 then last year didn't count anyways)

2022:
165 - Griffith (sell him on one more year of going down for the team race, I have to think he's considering this if he is strongly considering us and all reports are he is)
174 - CStar
184 - Brooks or Dean (probably Brooks)
197 - Brooks/Dean/Beard
RS - Facundo, Dean if he loses the wrestleoff to Beard, Beard would just lose eligibility

2023:
165 - Facundo
174 - Griffith
184 - CStar
197 - Beard
RS - Brooks, Dean (depending on how the team race looks, we can probably afford this)

2024:
This year should be easy as if all goes right, most of our guys should have an Olympic redshirt so it can be a mixed bag. I'll assume Brooks and Star takes one and it looks like this.
165 - Facundo
174 - Griffith
184 - Dean
197 - Beard

So all in all, it actually can be juggled even with Griffith coming in. Only Beard is likely to lose eligibility and it wouldn't be significant. After Griffith vacates, Facundo goes 174 long term. Another option is just redshirt Facundo in 2024 (I think he qualifies just from being a cadet medalist from before) so he doesn't suck down to 165 for that long and let someone like Joe Lee (assuming he sticks around) or Levi Haines (Willie says we got him) go. Willie mentioned on his show that greyshirting Facundo is still an option ... just don't enroll him for the Fall.

Last edited:
I got bored so I did a @dicemen99 attempt (I'm nowhere near as talented as him) if we get Griffith. I believe Max Dean should have a redshirt (Ivies are weird in that they don't allow them but I always thought NCAA went by years since enrollment rules and he's not in the Ivy League anymore) He delayed enrollment from HS and then wrestled 2018/2019, used an Olympic redshirt in 2020 then last year didn't count anyways)

2022:
165 - Griffith (sell him on one more year of going down for the team race, I have to think he's considering this if he is strongly considering us and all reports are he is)
174 - CStar
184 - Brooks or Dean (probably Brooks)
197 - Brooks/Dean/Beard
RS - Facundo, Dean if he loses the wrestleoff to Beard, Beard would just lose eligibility

2023:
165 - Facundo
174 - Griffith
184 - CStar
197 - Beard
RS - Brooks, Dean (depending on how the team race looks, we can probably afford this)

2024:
This year should be easy as if all goes right, most of our guys should have an Olympic redshirt so it can be a mixed bag. I'll assume Brooks and Star takes one and it looks like this.
165 - Facundo
174 - Griffith
184 - Dean
197 - Beard

So all in all, it actually can be juggled even with Griffith coming in. Only Beard is likely to lose eligibility and it wouldn't be significant. After Griffith vacates, Facundo goes 174 long term. Another option is just redshirt Facundo in 2024 (I think he qualifies just from being a cadet medalist from before) so he doesn't suck down to 165 for that long and let someone like Joe Lee (assuming he sticks around) or Levi Haines (Willie says we got him) go. Willie mentioned on his show that greyshirting Facundo is still an option ... just don't enroll him for the Fall.
So Max Dean's post-HS years:

1) greyshirt
2) freshman at Cornell
3) sophomore at Cornell
4) Olympic red shirt
5) COVID
6) junior at PSU
7) redshirt
8) senior at PSU

Probably turning 26 in his eighth year.

Reactions: udt012 and Str8DBLz
Time to lock this thread. Congratulations Stanford!!!!
Let’s congratulate Stanford and also steal their wrestlers! #whynotboth

tenor.gif

So Max Dean's post-HS years:

1) greyshirt
2) freshman at Cornell
3) sophomore at Cornell
4) Olympic red shirt
5) COVID
6) junior at PSU
7) redshirt
8) senior at PSU

Probably turning 26 in his eighth year.
And he only graduates with an associate's degree :)

I'm sorry for being that guy but I'll drag you guys back in maybe.

youngie (the poster who has been posting Shane Griffith information) said the following:

"Respectfully disagree. Will also reaffirm that he is graduating in August. Will ask if this changes anything when I have a conversation. Do not believe he wants to go to grad school at his current location. Will see what I can find out later today."

His respectfully disagree was to Brantt who said Griffith was never coming because he's going 174.

Griffith was on Baschamania, few key points:

-Obviously said the right things. Would love to stay at Stanford and build them back up but there's a few moving pieces.
-He said he still plans to take his official visits
-Talked about whether there is increased pressure to stay now because he was the face of the movement he said it does play a factor and he loves the program but if he did have to move on, he kind of feels he did what he had to do in his eyes.
-He said he's at 175 right now and he originally wanted to go up to 174 because he got to 180 but realized he actually doesn't put on weight that easily so now he's not sure.

My sense is the kid just has a ton to think about right now (and a lot of work to do since he's graduating) and doesn't want to make any rushed decisions. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the kid is so humble and likeable. For a kid who has done what he has done, he's so soft spoken and polite.

Last edited:
Can’t believe he’s only 174 pounds. No need to go up in that case. Dude must not like the weight room. Which is fine since he can win without it lol

When is the official visit?
He said "End of June-ish" for his decision in his visits/decision with David Mirikitani originally. Obviously that can change now that the program is saved.

His goal is Investment Banking/Management Consulting. On paper, UNC/Michigan is higher ranked than PSU for MBA and placing kids in those jobs but I said it before, the kid really doesn't need a MBA to get those opportunities, he's going to be a Stanford graduate who is a National Champion wrestler.

He said "End of June-ish" for his decision in his visits/decision with David Mirikitani originally. Obviously that can change now that the program is saved.

His goal is Investment Banking/Management Consulting. On paper, UNC/Michigan is higher ranked than PSU for MBA and placing kids in those jobs but I said it before, the kid really doesn't need a MBA to get those opportunities, he's going to be a Stanford graduate who is a National Champion wrestler.
Penn State as the number one networking University isn't a bad selling point.
Elinisky should take him to dinner on his visit.

Reactions: McScoreley
Penn State as the number one networking University isn't a bad selling point.
Elinisky should take him to dinner on his visit.
I'm going to venture a guess and say Ira Lubert might know a guy or two in the business world

Alas, we can't risk Hawkeye Report calling NCAA compliance ;)

Reactions: Sullivan
I bet Ira knows a guy.

Reactions: nitlion6

If what Corby says is true then this kind of puts Shane in an awkward spot IMO. It wouldn't be the best look to leave right now but if that was always his plan, you can hardly blame him. Seems like everyone expects him to just stay at this point. He did make it a point to say "If I do move on, I feel I did what I had to do" on Baschamania.

If what Corby says is true then this kind of puts Shane in an awkward spot IMO. It wouldn't be the best look to leave right now but if that was always his plan, you can hardly blame him. Seems like everyone expects him to just stay at this point. He did make it a point to say "If I do move on, I feel I did what I had to do" on Baschamania.

I think Corby is helping him here rather than putting him in an awkward spot. Most of the people I know (I never went to grad school) went to a different grad school from their Bach degree.

Reactions: Ski
I think Corby is helping him here rather than putting him in an awkward spot. Most of the people I know (I never went to grad school) went to a different grad school from their Bach degree.
Oh I think Corby is trying to explain the situation and help Shane for sure. Just that most people don't understand the situation and I think that's why it's awkward for Shane since I think he sees everyone just assuming he's going to stay at this point. He very well might but it's absolutely not a foregone conclusion at this point that people think it is.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
I have no idea what kind of student he is, but very few athletes at Stanford get accepted into the grad programs. That’s why so many Stanford guys transfer out after graduating. He has so many good options, he’ll be fine whichever path he chooses.

Reactions: Bob_Anderson
Shane also said picking Stanford was purely an academic decision (that would obviously make sense though since they're not known as a wrestling powerhouse). Now he is in a position to get his degree, he said he wants to focus on wrestling and more than anything, he's focused on staying on top the rest of college. I'm trying not to get too excited but between him directly saying he's not sure about 174 anymore (that was probably the biggest roadblock originally) and that he still wants to take a visit to PSU and meet with Cael Sanderson ....

Shane needs to do what is best for Shane and should not be concerned about what other people may think. Stanford initiated this and subsequently, never exhibited any loyalty towards Shane and the wrestling program. They just hoped and wished Shane and this whole issue just quietly went away. He does not owe any loyalty to Stanford, at this point.

Shane needs to do what is best for Shane and should not be concerned about what other people may think. Stanford initiated this and subsequently, never exhibited any loyalty towards Shane and the wrestling program. They just hoped and wished Shane and this whole issue just quietly went away. He does not owe any loyalty to Stanford, at this point.
True, but I’m certain that he feels loyalty to his teammates. Will be interesting to see what he decides.

True, but I’m certain that he feels loyalty to his teammates. Will be interesting to see what he decides.
Well, he did give his teammates all his undergrad years. I say he should do what regular people do: choose a grad school by asking, “where is the best place for me?”

Reactions: nitlion6
Shane will have a Stanford degree in his hip pocket and a National championship trophy in hand.

He already is in a position to land an job at an A+ company if he so chooses down the road.

A masters is just icing on the cake and frankly he already has the credentials he needs. Sure he could get a masters from Cornel, or Michigan, or PSU and as long as the school he chooses has a program that interests him, in the end he will be just fine in terms of achademic credentials regardless.

Where would any smart kid go if he wanted to become his absolute best as a wrestler?

And if 165 is still under consideration?

Saying no to Cael may prove write difficult, not to mention the why. We absolutely still have a solid shot.

Last edited:
Shane will have a Stanford degree in his hip pocket and a National championship trophy in hand.

He already is in a position to land an job at an A+ company if he so chooses down the road.

A masters is just icing on the cake and frankly he already has the credentials he needs. Sure he could get a masters from Cornel, or Michigan, or PSU and as long as the school he chooses has a program that interests him, in the end he will be just fine in terms of achademic credentials regardless.

Where would any smart kid go if he wanted to become his absolute best as a wrestler?

And if 157 is still under consideration?

Saying no to Cael may prove write difficult, not to mention the why. We absolutely still have a solid shot.
157? Never seen that as a consideration. 165 or 174 are the only weights I have seen discussed.

It will be a tough decision for sure. The people who ambushed his program are still there. His head coach is gone. He said the program having to start over after basically losing two recruiting classes is a factor. He also said he wasn’t really considering Stanford but went on a trip with Glory and fell in love with the place.

There is nothing wrong with wanting him to come to psu. Honestly, I have seen about a dozen posts now that keep dancing around the idea in crazy ways

He's very loyal to his teammates and said he obviously would love to stay at Stanford and help build the program back up so for sure he is thinking hard about that. But he made it a point to say he did what he felt he had to do. He outright considered not even wrestling last year because of what was going on with the team and practice/travel restrictions due to COVID protocols (he couldn't go home for Thanksgiving/Christmas) Instead, he wins a title and more or less became the biggest icon to the movement to save 11 sports. I think the kid is definitely planning to do what is best for him and block out the noise. Maybe it ends up being Stanford, why not? He did just win a National Title there after all.

Reactions: nerfstate
He has made it pretty clear that where ever he goes he is going for the wrestling component as opposed to any MBA/education component.. His Stanford degree pretty much is his ticket education wise.. and now with him having an individual title in hand.. you would think team title would be at the top of his list.. for that to happen he has to be looking very hard at PSU and staying 65.. anywhere else, the chance of a team title is near zero (minus Iowa of course.. )

ADVERTISEMENT