ADVERTISEMENT

Sept 23 Iowa birthdays

green2623

Feb 18, 2014
Fran Fisher and I became friends during the Bruce Parkhill era at Penn State. We shared a seating area for basketball games in Rec Hall. We met in the hallways during halftimes of the games. In our conversations we found we enjoyed many of the same things. We laughed as we talked in the hallway as we enjoyed our cigarettes. And discovered we shared the same birthday; the day we came back to defeat Iowa. That night after the game I smiled to myself thinking about how much he must have enjoyed the night, where ever he may be right now. That victory fueled many memories of Fran and Joe for me. Oh yea Fran Sat with Joe and Sue at those games in Rec Hall. Just thought I would mention his birthday and the victory that night in one breath.

Fran Fisher and I became friends during the Bruce Parkhill era at Penn State. We shared a seating area for basketball games in Rec Hall. We met in the hallways during halftimes of the games. In our conversations we found we enjoyed many of the same things. We laughed as we talked in the hallway as we enjoyed our cigarettes. And discovered we shared the same birthday; the day we came back to defeat Iowa. That night after the game I smiled to myself thinking about how much he must have enjoyed the night, where ever he may be right now. That victory fueled many memories of Fran and Joe for me. Oh yea Fran Sat with Joe and Sue at those games in Rec Hall. Just thought I would mention his birthday and the victory that night in one breath.
Fran was always a true gentleman and is missed by legions of fans.

One of the memories I have of Fran Fisher, and you would see him around town a lot almost anywhere...on University Drive there's a Snappy's C-Store and there used to be a Uni-Mart right across the street on Bellaire. I was in Snappy's one time paying for gas or whatever and Fran was in there. At the time he was doing a lot of radio spots for UniMart. I was joking with him about being caught in Snappy's with UniMart literally a few feet away. We were walking out and he grabbed my sleeve and said real sheepishly with a wink "Uni Mart doesn't have what I'm looking for." We both had a good laugh. I didn't know him but he seemed like a heckuva nice man.

Good story, g.

Mine, which I think I told before: One afternoon, during my freshman or sophomore year, he held the front door of Rec Hall open for me and a buddy...allowing us to go in before him. He was a fine gentleman. That was 1974 or 1975, and he was quite famous by then.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT