ADVERTISEMENT

Schedule will be 8+1

Since Iowa is our current crossover rival and it is a home game we will not play NW. Also, that means we will play either Ill or Neb on the road for our 2nd crossover opponent.

EDIT. Our current rival is Iowa and next one iwill be Illinois so B1G preferred opponents for new fall schedule are Iowa and @Nebraska.

Last edited:
Reactions: NedFromYork
Every team gets a +1.
The conference championship week EVERY team plays,
B1G West 1 plays B1G East 1, with the winner being conference champion.
So, if you already played that team in one of the 2 crossovers, then you’ll play that team again.

Unless it’s 1 vs 1, he said the would adjust for the possible rematches.

If you follow the NFL, you'll always hear teams who get a real early bye week (like week 4) complain that their bye-week is too early, because they then have to play too many games in a row ot end the season and it's wear&tear on their bodies.

You do realize the bye week wasn't introduced to the NFL until 1990, right? They played a 16 game schedule, without byes, 1978-1989.

Reactions: bison13
I doubt that games not played due to Covid restrictions would be considered forfeits. We may see teams that wind up playing various numbers of games across the conference. How that all works out, who knows. How about this scenario, the OSU vs. PSU game is canceled and both teams run the table, who goes from the East?

Which is why they should have built in one or two wiggle room weeks at the end. They complicated things that never had to be complicated. And then decided to play a meaningless 9th game that will expose players to possible injury anyway.

I must have misunderstood you. I thought that you did not like that the other teams were playing +1 games because you believed them to be meaningless. Are you saying that you don't like teams with high infection rates not playing?

I'm saying that the Conference initially delayed the season using the excuse of player safety. Then, instead of starting on October 10 or 17 where they could have built in one or two meaningful weeks at the end for significant makeup games to determine TRUE Division Champs, they play 6 absolutely meaningless games on Championship week exposing the players to injury anyway. Strictly for TV money.

WTF???

Then, instead of starting on October 10 or 17 where they could have built in one or two meaningful weeks at the end for significant makeup games to determine TRUE Division Champs, they play 6 absolutely meaningless games on Championship week exposing the players to injury anyway. Strictly for TV money.
All games are played for TV money. All games expose players to injury. There is no correlation between what date they start and the 6 games played the same week as the Championship game. They were added not because there weren't extra weeks for byes or makeup games (not sure how you would do that), they were added so that all teams in the conference play the same number of games. I believe that the players participating in those games don't consider them meaningless. While playing for championships is a worthy goal, I think most players have other motivations.

Barry on the oversight picture, i don't know ???? He's like Bo , he just won't retire and go away. If he wanted to be involved he should have been the Commissioner.
If any school wants out of the Big, now is the time for them to do it.

Since Iowa is our current crossover rival and it is a home game we will not play NW. Also, that means we will play either Ill or Neb on the road for our 2nd crossover opponent.
Agree with playing Iowa and dropping NW, but reason is likely based on Indiana having Purdue at home this year. All other dropping of teams from schedules can be based on that if the idea is to keep the original 2020 opponents as they were.

All games are played for TV money. All games expose players to injury. There is no correlation between what date they start and the 6 games played the same week as the Championship game. They were added not because there weren't extra weeks for byes or makeup games (not sure how you would do that), they were added so that all teams in the conference play the same number of games. I believe that the players participating in those games don't consider them meaningless. While playing for championships is a worthy goal, I think most players have other motivations.

I think we have a communication problem. : ^ )

I don't have much time, so I'll try again. Briefly.

They could have started a week or two earlier, and had the wiggle room to make those games meaningful. No one would have questioned the injury factor.. Now you are opening yourself up to criticism by making these kids play in 6 meaningless games strictly for TV money.

In other words, there are multiple factors I could give you where starting on October 10 or 17 was exponentially more practical than October 24. I'll have to leave it at that now for now for a few hours. : ^ )

Reactions: LeatherHelmets

They could have started a week or two earlier, and had the wiggle room to make those games meaningful. No one would have questioned the injury factor.. Now you are opening yourself up to criticism by making these kids play in 6 meaningless games strictly for TV money.

In other words, there are multiple factors I could give you where starting on October 10 or 17 was exponentially more practical than October 24. I'll have to leave it at that now for now for a few hours. : ^ )
Maybe you can clarify for me when you return. I'm not debating the merits of when to start - I'm not privy to the rationale behind that. We now have what we have and there's no changing it.
But, if weeks were added, how does that change the nature/importance/safety of the 2 vs. 2, 3 vs. 3, etc. games scheduled to be played the same week as the Conference Championship Game?

Who are you to determine which games are meaningful or meaningless? What's the difference between 5 vs 5 on Nov 14 or Dec 19? Everybody gets to play 9 games which is 3 less than originally scheduled but 1 more than 8, 2 more than 7, etc. You dont have to watch them if you don't want to, but I'll bet the players and coaches will show up anyways.

Reactions: sandiegohawk
A guess..
In any order...
Iowa
At Michigan
Maryland
At Rutgers
Michigan State
At Indiana
Ohio State
At Illinois

Thoughts?

Who are you to determine which games are meaningful or meaningless? What's the difference between 5 vs 5 on Nov 14 or Dec 19? Everybody gets to play 9 games which is 3 less than originally scheduled but 1 more than 8, 2 more than 7, etc. You dont have to watch them if you don't want to, but I'll bet the players and coaches will show up anyways.

It's a game between two teams that are each trying their hardest to win... that sounds meaningful to me.

I hate the stupid idea that a game is "meaningful" only if it is significant to win a conference or national championship, etc. Why can't trying to win as many games as possible in a season be reason enough? It's the same logic that has people decry bowl games and I think that's equally stupid - the games are real, they count and the players want to win them.

A guess..
In any order...
Iowa
At Michigan
Maryland
At Rutgers
Michigan State
At Indiana
Ohio State
At Illinois

Thoughts?
Specific order is nothing but guesswork, but I would think there could be front-loaded big games to give OSU some quality wins (assuming they win) over the likes of PSU and Michigan. If the whole schedule doesn't get played, and who's kidding who it won't, OSU will at least need that on their resume to have a chance of making the playoff.

I want to see these games AT Minnesota, AT Wisconsin, AT MSU, AT Michigan..... in late November & December. But hey, it's all about the safety & health of the players .
Any chance we can move that game against Maryland to TCF? No advantage for my Gophers.;)

NFL Players - College Players.

You do realize they play HS games in Minnesota and Wisky every single year; maybe even Peewee games. I guess NFL players=HS players>College players.
Whine, whine, whine.

Specific order is nothing but guesswork, but I would think there could be front-loaded big games to give OSU some quality wins (assuming they win) over the likes of PSU and Michigan. If the whole schedule doesn't get played, and who's kidding who it won't, OSU will at least need that on their resume to have a chance of making the playoff.
That's my prediction for PSU schedule not osu

I do not know how you do it AND give each team a bye-week. By my calendar there are 9 weeks between Sat. 10/24 thru Sat. 12/19. If you want to have a B1G Champ Game on Sat. 12/19 (BEFORE the CFB Selection on 12/20), then you have 8 weekends between 10/24 and 12/12. How do you play 8 games in 8 weeks and give each team a bye ???
I believe they said there would be no bye weeks.

Would they still be able do that if they start Oct 24?

Wonder if they might do Friday night games in order to max TV coverage. Not sure the networks will be able to carry 7 Big Ten games every Sat.
I’ve heard the B1G will possibly play Thursday’s and Friday’s.

If the teams have been practicing for weeks, why does it take until 10/24 to get ready to play?

Normally a team gets ready to play the season during 20 Fall practices starting in mid-August. Haven't the teams been practicing for a couple of weeks already. A reasonable time line would be starting October 3rd, which is still 2.5 weeks away.....

Haven't the protocols for testing been in place during the organized practices during these past weeks, and the rapid testing plan for implementation set up? It's as if the losers in the B10 are hoping that something happens in the interim to cause even games on 10/24 to be cancelled....

:oops: :oops:
The B1G teams were being limited to no tackling in practice by the B1G and only 12 hours practice by NCAA. The SEC, ACC, Big XII, ASC and Sunbelt are allowed 20 hrs per week of practice time. That extra 8 hrs goes a long way in preparing your team and figuring out your depth.

You do realize they play HS games in Minnesota and Wisky every single year; maybe even Peewee games. I guess NFL players=HS players>College players.
Whine, whine, whine.

Have you ever watched or played HS football?? HS is over by late Oct. / early Nov.

Maybe you can clarify for me when you return. I'm not debating the merits of when to start - I'm not privy to the rationale behind that. We now have what we have and there's no changing it.
But, if weeks were added, how does that change the nature/importance/safety of the 2 vs. 2, 3 vs. 3, etc. games scheduled to be played the same week as the Conference Championship Game?

The "weeks should have been added" at the beginning. Unless I'm wrong, we both seem to agree with that. Where we differ is that by not doing that, which would have made sense so you would be able to sort out the inevitable mess at the end, they delay the season, and try to put lipstick on a pig with 6 meaningless games that mean nothing.

If you think every team is going to have 8 games under their belt by Championship week, I have some nice green land on the Moon to sell you. Why not begin the season on October 10 or 17, and have one or two open weeks before the Champinship Game to play that game you are going to play on Championship week so that it means something???

I guarantee you that all of us will be screaming our lungs out if we beat Ohio State, Michigan, and everyone else we actually are able to play on our schedule, but have to forfeit to Rutgers and Maryland. That leaves Ohio State at 7-1 and us at 6-2. Ohio State then goes to the Championship game under our current brain dead setup because we didn't build in one or two weeks at the end to replay any missed games and have a chance to reverse a loss.

If you're happy with that, fine. Enjoy watching Ohio State playing for a shot at the CFP because we had guys test positive before Rutgers and/or Maryland week. I'm sure we'll love playing our 7th actual game on Championship week against some West Division opponent when it could have been the week before against Rutgers or Maryland to reverse a forfeit loss and jump us over Ohio State into the Championship Game.

In short, there are going to be a bunch of pi$$ed off people playing games on "Championship week" that would have rather had an open week the week before to play a more meaningful makeup opponent.

Last edited:
The "weeks should have been added" at the beginning. Unless I'm wrong, we both seem to agree with that. Where we differ is that by not doing that, which would have made sense so you would be able to sort out the inevitable mess at the end, they delay the season, and try to put lipstick on a pig with 6 meaningless games that mean nothing.

If you think every team is going to have 8 games under their belt by Championship week, I have some nice green land on the Moon to sell you. Why not begin the season on October 10 or 17, and have one or two open weeks before the Champinship Game to play that game you are going to play on Championship week so that it means something???

I guarantee you that all of us will be screaming our lungs out if we beat Ohio State, Michigan, and everyone else we actually are able to play on our schedule, but have to forfeit to Rutgers and Maryland. That leaves Ohio State at 7-1 and us at 6-2. Ohio State then goes to the Championship game under our current brain dead setup because we didn't build in one or two weeks at the end to replay any missed games and have a chance to reverse a loss.

If you're happy with that, fine. Enjoy watching Ohio State playing for a shot at the CFP because we had guys test positive before Rutgers and/or Maryland week. I'm sure we'll love playing our 7th actual game on Championship week against some West Division opponent when it could have been the week before against Rutgers or Maryland to reverse a forfeit loss and jump us over Ohio State into the Championship Game.

In short, there are going to be a bunch of pi$$ed off people playing games on "Championship week" that would have rather had an open week the week before to play a more meaningful makeup opponent.
Wow. Overthinking much?
Chill dude, let us get the schedule then panic

Have you ever watched or played HS football?? HS is over by late Oct. / early Nov.

Championships are played in December. Maybe they should have passed a rule that only games be played when the temperature is between 70 and 80. After all, I am sure if they started in August you would have been concerned about the poor kids playing in all that heat.

Was there ever any doubt that the sobbing fan boys screaming "let them play" would pivot instantly and find fault with the schedule? I wanna play....I wanna play...please let us play....ok who the hell is making us play like this? LOL

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
A lot to unpack here. I'll try to address some of your points and then be done with it. I know that I won't change your mind and I may be too obtuse to see what you're trying to say. You can have the the last shot.
The "weeks should have been added" at the beginning. Unless I'm wrong, we both seem to agree with that. No, I simply don't know the reasoning behind the chosen starting date so I can't say that I know what should have been done. I'm not saying you're wrong; I'm saying I don't know enough to judge. Where we differ is that by not doing that, which would have made sense so you would be able to sort out the inevitable mess at the end, they delay the season, and try to put lipstick on a pig with 6 meaningless games that mean nothing. It turns out that a lot of games mean nothing to a lot of fans but I suspect that they mean a lot to the coaches and players who participate.

If you think every team is going to have 8 games under their belt by Championship week, I have some nice green land on the Moon to sell you. Why not begin the season on October 10 or 17, and have one or two open weeks before the Champinship Game to play that game you are going to play on Championship week so that it means something??? Yeah, I have no idea why the meaning of the Championship Game changes based on how many weeks preceded it.

I guarantee you that all of us will be screaming our lungs out if we beat Ohio State, Michigan, and everyone else we actually are able to play on our schedule, but have to forfeit to Rutgers and Maryland. You lost me. Why exactly will Penn State forfeit to Rutgers and Maryland? Will the team exceed the number of positives for those games? That leaves Ohio State at 7-1 and us at 6-2. Ohio State then goes to the Championship game under our current brain dead setup because we didn't build in one or two weeks at the end to replay any missed games and have a chance to reverse a loss. I'm not sure what you are proposing. Are you saying that the additional weeks should be built in after the regular schedule but before the Championship Game to accommodate all potential "make up" games that couldn't be played because of Covid cancellations? Could that scheduling even be done? I can't imagine how which games are made up and which would not.

If you're happy with that, fine. Enjoy watching Ohio State playing for a shot at the CFP because we had guys test positive before Rutgers and/or Maryland week. I'm sure we'll love playing our 7th actual game on Championship week against some West Division opponent when it could have been the week before against Rutgers or Maryland to reverse a forfeit loss and jump us over Ohio State into the Championship Game. That seems to be a highly unlikely set of specific circumstances (although I suppose that it is possible - I haven't seen the schedule). I tend not to worry about such things until they happen although I agree that it is good to have contingencies.

In short, there are going to be a bunch of pi$$ed off people playing games on "Championship week" that would have rather had an open week the week before to play a more meaningful makeup opponent. I get the impression that you're going to be pissed off no matter what. Penn State is not under any constraints or restrictions different than every other team.
Fire away.

Championships are played in December. Maybe they should have passed a rule that only games be played when the temperature is between 70 and 80. After all, I am sure if they started in August you would have been concerned about the poor kids playing in all that heat.
Not sure if what I'm hearing is fact....but a radio show I listened to said a player who tests positive is out for 21 days. So If you test positive on game day, you would miss half the season. I'm not concerned with the schedule.....I'm more concerned if there will actually be a season, given the strict testing, protocols etc. Seems a bit trite to bitch about who and when a team plays, when it might be more logical to be concerned if you will have an actual competitive roster. If your QB tests positive, go home.

Wow. Overthinking much?
Chill dude, let us get the schedule then panic

We already KNOW the schedule (the dates). And we already KNOW pretty much who we'll play, minus two of the Western teams we had on the schedule. That's not the freakin problem.

Have you even bothered to look at the extreme COVID requirements required to play???? Some teams WILL have to forfeit games. We built in NO weeks before December 19 to make those games up when we could have easily started the season on either October 10 or 17, and left the one or two weeks before the Championship Game open for makeup games.

I can't wait to watch you "chill" if we get screwed out of the Championship Game because of a forfeit loss somewhere along the line. Especially if it's to someone like a Rutgers or Illinois.

A lot to unpack here. I'll try to address some of your points and then be done with it. I know that I won't change your mind and I may be too obtuse to see what you're trying to say. You can have the the last shot.

Read the extreme COVID requirements the teams will have to meet EVERY week to just take the field. Then guarantee me that every team will actually play an 8 game schedule before the December 19 Championship Game.

We already KNOW the schedule (the dates). And we already KNOW pretty much who we'll play, minus two of the Western teams we had on the schedule. That's not the freakin problem.

Have you even bothered to look at the extreme COVID requirements required to play???? Some teams WILL have to forfeit games. We built in NO weeks before December 19 to make those games up when we could have easily started the season on either October 10 or 17, and left the one or two weeks before the Championship Game open for makeup games.

I can't wait to watch you "chill" if we get screwed out of the Championship Game because of a forfeit loss somewhere along the line. Especially if it's to someone like a Rutgers or Illinois.
How about we go undefeated first then worry about that later.

One solution to bitching about the schedule, the protocols or the possibility that fate will deal an unkind blow to PSU.......don't play at all. I've said all along....the original decision by the B1G, may have been the correct one. Every school that is attempting to play in the 4 power conferences , is rolling the dice. No amount of weeping and gnashing of teeth, will make the pandemic go away and make life (or football in this case) normal.
If PSU plays on 10/24 I'm gonna get my Yuenglings, kielbasa, brats, wings etc. and assume that it will be the one and only time they strap in on this year. I will enjoy it.
If week two comes, repeat the process from week one and so it goes.
Why do some people live for donut holes? It is so sad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT