ADVERTISEMENT

Say Goodbye to College Football as We Know It - Jay Paterno...

• Thread starter anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
  • Start date

JoPa was an advocate for 'semi-professional' college football for decades i.e. college playoffs system and player stipends. Those facts are true. He also advocated for a form of 'revenue sharing' of the proceeds for all eligible universities -- long before the billion$ now being created by the playoffs, league TV revenues and 'licensed' merchandise.

Time and change ....

Not me. Which paid team that did exactly what Vegas said they would is of no interest. College football used to be fun, interesting, at times unpredictable, and played by amateur players for their school. Not so much anymore. I won't be tuning in whether it goes on the planned date or gets postponed.
We all agree, but when was the last time a college football team loaded with student athletes was strong enough to win a NC? The 1994 Penn State team and that was because of Coach Paterno. Seriously, point to a NC team in the last 20 years whose roster had legit student athletes.

listen, I’m with you, but the NCAA knows the moment they mandate serious changes to academic eligibility for a SA they will be met with unprecedented opposition. Now, they should consider putting a soft CAP across the board on what a Head Coach or Athletic Director can earn.

In case you're not being sarcastic, at some point in life your body is going to start telling you you can't be doing the things you easily did in your teens through mid 30's. Athletics cease to be a viable option for supporting yourself. You damm well better have a back up plan. It's the greatest and most common sin for all great athlete's, growing old.
A $15 million signing bonus and a 3 year NFL career is much more lucrative than a 30 year career in most professions.

I guess what I'm saying is that the problem isn't what a person is going to do to support himself after the NFL. It's what happens to the 90% who fall short and don't make it in the NFL.

College football is the NFL's "minor league". It probably should never have been that way, but it is what it is. It's kind of crazy that the biggest and most lucrative sport in America has an amateur minor league. You could create an NFL minor league in an effort to keep the traditions and amateurism of college football, but you sacrifice quality of play. Otherwise, college football fans should be ready to embrace the inevitable changes toward professionalism that are sure to continue.

In case you're not being sarcastic, at some point in life your body is going to start telling you you can't be doing the things you easily did in your teens through mid 30's. Athletics cease to be a viable option for supporting yourself. You damm well better have a back up plan. It's the greatest and most common sin for all great athlete's, growing old.
No sarcasm at all. What does the guys getting paid for what they are already doing have to do with getting an education? I don’t see the correlation.

What would the solutions be to this avalanche of new realities?
Here's my opinion (that will never be considered because of the money).

• No payments for a players, even ads. Just a scholarship.
  • Schools not allowed to use or sell a player's likeness on merchandise
  • Scholarships are binding to both parties. Players who accept scholarships are committed for 4 years and agree to accept no outside revenue from football.
  • 3 year graduation rates bellow a certain threshold result in a loss of scholarships.

Every once in a while we would go to a Princeton game, that’s college football (I think?). On 1/11/21 we will watch a far more entertaining game between Alabama and OSU.
The Bama/OSU game is only "more interesting" because you have feelings (perhaps negative towards OSU? Or perhaps negative towards the SEC?) that you do not have (I don't think) about Princeton.

If the only metric of how enjoyable football is "talent level on the field" the NFL would be FAR more popular than CFB. It is not. Therefore, if talent were to get siphoned away from CFB to a minor league NFL system, I strongly believe that CFB would be just as popular (and the NFL minor league would be very poorly watched/attended).

College football will remain popular (regardless of talent level) because of team loyalty, which really boils down to tribalism.

So if the NFL wants to start a minor league and pay players, go for it. It will not affect me or my relationship with PSU football one bit.

If the only metric of how enjoyable football is "talent level on the field" the NFL would be FAR more popular than CFB. It is not. Therefore, if talent were to get siphoned away from CFB to a minor league NFL system, I strongly believe that CFB would be just as popular (and the NFL minor league would be very poorly watched/attended).

^^^ This ^^^

Reactions: DandyDonII
I think what people want, myself included is a level playing field. I would prefer everyone follow the rules and keep things at an amateur level. That being said, Bama and OSU are never going to follow the rules, so what is the point of the rules in the first place.
I agree with you, but paying players and opening up transfer rules is not going to level the playing field, it will make it more uneven.

The Bama/OSU game is only "more interesting" because you have feelings (perhaps negative towards OSU? Or perhaps negative towards the SEC?) that you do not have (I don't think) about Princeton.

College football will remain popular (regardless of talent level) because of team loyalty, which really boils down to tribalism.

So if the NFL wants to start a minor league and pay players, go for it. It will not affect me or my relationship with PSU football one bit.
Exactly, college fans don’t follow the players, they follow the school....they couldn’t follow the players because they change every three to four years. Would anyone on here have become a Rutgers fan if Barkley would have gone there?

Reactions: PSU2UNC
Exactly, college fans don’t follow the players, they follow the school....they couldn’t follow the players because they change every three to four years. Would anyone on here have become a Rutgers fan if Barkley would have gone there?
WHAT!! (Lol)

We all agree, but when was the last time a college football team loaded with student athletes was strong enough to win a NC? The 1994 Penn State team and that was because of Coach Paterno. Seriously, point to a NC team in the last 20 years whose roster had legit student athletes.

listen, I’m with you, but the NCAA knows the moment they mandate serious changes to academic eligibility for a SA they will be met with unprecedented opposition. Now, they should consider putting a soft CAP across the board on what a Head Coach or Athletic Director can earn.

That is an anti-trust case the NCAA would lose in about 15 seconds.

85 scholarships are a joke. SEC just stockpiles good players.
Get back to 1 platoon football, 60 ships are plenty.
Lenny Moore, greatest RB in PSU history, also led team in interceptions.
I still remember Pete Liske playing safety. Fun times!
The sport would be awesome again.

I agree, can it be done using a different methodology, sort of like a “legal” work around?
the players would have to unionize and agree to a collective bargaining agreement. That ends up opening up a massive can of worms that would require years and millions to resolve.

I don't know if that's the case. If anything, it'll give kids something else to consider. 'Do I want to go to Alabama, or somewhere closer to a big city where there might be more opportunity for licensing my image and making money?' There are only so many car dealerships and radio stations in Tuscaloosa.
This is the key. U of Minnesota, Northwestern, and Rutgres would have the urban financial fire power to join tOSU as B1G royalty.

I don't know if that's the case. If anything, it'll give kids something else to consider. 'Do I want to go to Alabama, or somewhere closer to a big city where there might be more opportunity for licensing my image and making money?' There are only so many car dealerships and radio stations in Tuscaloosa.
interesting thought. USC makes out well. NYC not so much. PSU is a big loser unless you consider Philly and Pitt. TX schools make out well. Also, have to wonder about a right guard's opportunities while the QB is making millions.

Does anyone remember that college football game back in the 80's that turned the college football world on its backside? I think it was the Duel in the Desert, or something like that. It used to be the game with the largest TV audience. Not sure if it still is. I think PSU was a part of that game.

Might that be when the change to the game started?

Jay didn’t seem to mind when his dad was the highest paid state employee for decades. This has been happening for quite awhile. Not sure why he’s all of the sudden decided to clutch his pearls today
Ah, Joe was paid considerably less than coaches today. Not even close. Your comment is surely more about your dislike for Jay than logic. Nice try.

Reactions: bdgan
Ah, Joe was paid considerably less than coaches today. Not even close. Your comment is surely more about your dislike for Jay than logic. Nice try.
I like Jay a lot. Heard him speak at a NYC alumni event and he couldn’t have been a nicer guy afterward.

Joe could have been paid less than some of his peers or the coaches and still be the highest paid state employee.

Pretty lame try

the players would have to unionize and agree to a collective bargaining agreement. That ends up opening up a massive can of worms that would require years and millions to resolve.

The question was on capping coaches' salaries, not players. Sure, the coaches could unionize and sign a collective bargaining agreement. I could actually see them as a group be that stupid. That's why they have agents.

Reactions: Obliviax
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT