ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Rutgers Dual Discussion Thread

You must think wrestling started 12 years ago. I been watching PSU since 1980. He is a good wrestler maybe not great yet. He has beaten others out to be the starter.
We also need to figure out how he looked 15 pounds lighter than a normal 125 pounder tonight when we have plainly been informed that he walks around at 135 pounds 🤔

We also need to figure out how he looked 15 pounds lighter than a normal 125 pounder tonight when we have plainly been informed that he walks around at 135 pounds 🤔
664c27d8-fafd-46c3-a92f-ce6df35b6505_text.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Psugo823
Ed Banach, Randy Lewis, Joe Williams, Tom Brands, Jim Zelesky. These are a few Iowa Hawkeyes who did attack vigorously. That just ain't the style anymore. Somehow push, shove scream "heeeeeesssss stttttaaaaallllliiiiinnnnnn" is what Tom and Terry remember from their Gable years.
Randy Lewis was a complete animal.

Reactions: Callthestall
Grades
141- B- took to long to impose your will.
149- B- can't let a poluka get to your legs ,but did finish strong.
157- A - did your best for a guy who didn't want to get major.
165-A put up a 25 burger, but still waiting on can you get off the bottom vs a good wrestler and ride out an ugly win.
174- A -look a little wide eyed in third on that half ass cradle, but we're smart not to put yourself in that position again.
184A+ - best ankle pick of the decade, toyed with the frosh, Like to see you Sunday .
197A -see 157, how many head slaps are allowed on senior night. I think 6 are to many.
Hwt A+ maybe just yell at the guy to tilt himself would have been more dominantnating.

Grades
141- B- took to long to impose your will.
149- B- can't let a poluka get to your legs ,but did finish strong.
157- A - did your best for a guy who didn't want to get major.
165-A put up a 25 burger, but still waiting on can you get off the bottom vs a good wrestler and ride out an ugly win.
174- A -look a little wide eyed in third on that half ass cradle, but we're smart not to put yourself in that position again.
184A+ - best ankle pick of the decade, toyed with the frosh, Like to see you Sunday .
197A -see 157, how many head slaps are allowed on senior night. I think 6 are to many.
Hwt A+ maybe just yell at the guy to tilt himself would have been more dominantnating.
Disagree with 141 and 149. Thought Beau looked great. A major against a top 20 opponent is nothing to sneeze at no matter how he started the match.

149 I couldn’t disagree more. Most of us have been saying we want Shane to get to his offense more. He did that. When you constantly try to score you’re going to give up some take downs. I’ll take that effort anytime

149 I couldn’t disagree more. Most of us have been saying we want Shane to get to his offense more. He did that. When you constantly try to score you’re going to give up some take downs. I’ll take that effort anytime
Bingo. "Can't let a poluka get to your legs" is something nobody ever said about Jason Nolf. Van Ness is at his best when he's pushing pace and attacking.

It was interesting that Goodale mentioned our hand-fighting. Could it be that it's been a point of emphasis for the last few weeks?

Our youngsters had difficulty getting to their offense against Iowa because the Hawks were winning the ties. Good learning experience, I won't be surprised if at least 2 of those losses are avenged.

I thought SVN looked great. On his offense the entire match.

He was super aggressive, which I like. Not just content to hand fight and hold center.

Reactions: RealMicah
I thought SVN looked great. On his offense the entire match.

He was super aggressive, which I like. Not just content to hand fight and hold center.
I agree. This is how he needs to wrestle every time out. Don’t be afraid to give up a td or 2 because you know you will get them back with the pace you are wrestling at. Nolf is the prime example of this. He gave up more tds than other greats because he was always attacking and just knew that with his pace and attack rate he would get those tds back and then some. SVN doesn’t wrestle like Nolf but he can weaponize his pace and aggressiveness like Nolf did.
I know Facundo’s opponent wasn’t great but hopefully this match gave him more confidence on his feet and getting to his attacks. I want him to up his attack rate just like SVN especially because he has proven to have a gas tank large enough to push the pace for an entire match. His defense is so good that I wish he would take more shots even if they aren’t great just to create scramble situations. Those scrambles are what wears people out plus with Alex’s feel and wrestling IQ he seems to win most of those positions. Overall though I’ve been really impressed with Facundo this season. Coming into the season and being at the toughest weight in the country I felt like he was probably a blood round guy at best this year but he has been very good and now I see him as a definite AA contender. I don’t see top 4 in the cards but if he continues to improve each time out I can absolutely see him in the 4-8 range if he wrestles his best. This weight is brutal though. Some really really good kids aren’t going to AA

I also disagree on any criticism of Bartlett, even though it was not terribly critical. He wasn't wrestling chopped liver and yet he still got a takedown in each of three periods, got riding time and was never close to being scored on himself. I'll take that each and every time, particularly against ranked opponents. He looked supremely confident and in charge to me.

Did anyone see the McKee match today? What a match. He went down.
Needed an escape to force ot and couldn't get it...the other issue of course is that it wasn't a back side ncaa tournament match because if it was he would have tech falled Barnett in 4 minutes 😆 😆

Reactions: danoftw and hlstone
He looks more confident and aggressive with each match.
He just seems so comfortable at 141. His quickness is outstanding and his strength is an asset at 141 that it wasn't as an undersized 149. He would not likely have been able to pull off that move at the end of the match last night at 149. Really excited for Beau!

WE ARE!!!

Part of the reason Beau doesnt shoot as much as we would like is that he is just so comfortable countering - and unlike most guys, he is looking for back points when defending a shot.
He looks for cradles more than anyone on the team.
The next 2 yrs he will lead the team in falls, if he doesnt ths year.
I think he is enjoyable to watch.

so I am betting coach tell these guys to smack people if the face it doesn't make them tuffer just get them beat more.Why does the ref say nothing?

rewatching PSU vs. Rutgers. This ref really sucks, Not just SVN pin, very slow on calls in general. Very indecisive!!
Also these could be the best student announcers? I have ever heard! not homers, tells it like it is!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT