ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Roman Bravo-Young to return for final season

Fix might prefer his chances with Spencer since if he can get to Saturday night, he has a 12 hour weigh in. Not saying he’d win but he might have a size advantage at least. Also who knows how Spencer looks off double ACL repair. He’s gotten a feel of both RBY and Spencer, he might know who he can game plan for better.
Is there a lot of precedent for guys coming back from double ACL surgery/replacement within 12 months?

I've always thought that seems like an incredibly dicey proposition. Especially considering he has goals beyond this year.

It's fairly obvious he has nothing for RBY. Cutting to 125 would make for a miserable season though.
Not if he just cuts to 125 at the very end. Not certain he cares much about seed going into Big 12s or even at the big dance. 50-50 chance he is in the opposite bracket.

Reactions: hlstone
The only reason Spencer is interested in wrestling one more season of garbage wrestling is to become a 4 timer. What would the chances be he puts that legacy at risk challenging a 2 time champ, up a weight? The only thing HR knows about wrestling is pretty much nothing.
BLASPHEMY!!!!

Spencer Lee is the 'chosen one'. The HR faithful can pencil him into their fantacy line-up anywhere they choose and then confidently predict he will dominate. ;)

Reactions: danoftw
BLASPHEMY!!!!

Spencer Lee is the 'chosen one'. The HR faithful can pencil him into their fantacy line-up anywhere they choose and then confidently predict he will dominate. ;)
lol you mean like all those other guys in the other 9 weights?

BLASPHEMY!!!!

Until things die down, I’m going to steer clear of @nitlion6 - at least stay out of the blast zone. The guy is going to have a Fatwa announced against him soon

Nobody has won more hypothetical matches, championships than Spencer Lee.

Which is kind of funny because he's won so many real ones, you'd think Iowa fans wouldn't need to make up hypothetical ones to prop him up.

I don't recall seeing any predictions on his board that Bo Nickal would pin J'Den Cox at Final X.

Assuming for a moment that it’s Howard at 125, Beau at 141, SVN at 149, Haines at 157 and everyone else returns, are the lowest ranked recruits in the lineup: RBY (just outside top 10) and Dean?

Spencer to 133 and Drake (fully healed) at 125 actually is probably their best lineup for most points at nationals. Right now as is, they're looking at not much at 133.

Reactions: Ja1339
Assuming for a moment that it’s Howard at 125, Beau at 141, SVN at 149, Haines at 157 and everyone else returns, are the lowest ranked recruits in the lineup: RBY (just outside top 10) and Dean?
I think @smalls103 had Howard 15th or something by the end. He was hurt and took a few Ls to lower ranked 126s in HS. Facundo/SVN were both Top 5, I think Bartlett was definitely Top 10. Haines is 7th.

Reactions: mcpat
Spencer to 133 and Drake (fully healed) at 125 actually is probably their best lineup for most points at nationals. Right now as is, they're looking at not much at 133.

I was thinking the same thing.

If anything, I see the opposite happening (Ayala to 133).

If Spencer goes to 133 and wins, he’d be the first 4 timer to win 3 times at one weight then move up to get the fourth. That would have to make him the greatest 4 timer ever, huh?

Which is kind of funny because he's won so many real ones, you'd think Iowa fans wouldn't need to make up hypothetical ones to prop him up.

I don't recall seeing any predictions on his board that Bo Nickal would pin J'Den Cox at Final X.

You've gotta cut HR a break. Spencer is the only superstar they've had in recent memory. Who else can they put out there in their offseason hypotheticals?

It's easy actually, they just put an 'IF' in front of the proposed match-up.

For example - 'IF' Spencer Lee weighed 174 he would dominate Starocci. See, it's easy 🤷‍♂️ ... and no fear it can be unproven.:)

Well....DT beat dake everywhere but the mat.

Reactions: danoftw and hlstone
Fix might prefer his chances with Spencer since if he can get to Saturday night, he has a 12 hour weigh in. Not saying he’d win but he might have a size advantage at least. Also who knows how Spencer looks off double ACL repair. He’s gotten a feel for losing to both RBY and Spencer, he might know who he would lose to by the smallest margin.

Fixed (no pun intended) your last sentence.

Seriously, has any wrestler ever gone 0-4 in NCAA finals? He’d be the Buffalo Bills of the NCAA Wrestling 😆

Last edited:
True. But perhaps Spencer is thinking he already carried the team on his back with 2 bad knees to help secure the title in 2021. So maybe he’d prefer to maximize his chances at #4 at 125, vs maximizing team points. 🤷‍♂️ Couldn’t blame him.

True. But perhaps Spencer is thinking he already carried the team on his back with 2 bad knees to help secure the title in 2021. So maybe he’d prefer to maximize his chances at #4 at 125, vs maximizing team points. 🤷‍♂️ Couldn’t blame him.

Agree, Spencer has already set his international goals aside for 5 years, and now who knows if he can be the same after knee surgery.

He's given TnT all they could have hoped for. Time for him to put himself 1st.

Reactions: Ja1339
Newsflash - just checked the Outer Circle and they aren’t taking it well.

cHeAtInG, sTaLlEr, Spencer is going up to 133 and will sMaSh EvErYoNe!!!!!
To be fair, at this time last year when the veterans in Iowa City all announced that they were returning for an 8th year, there were plenty of posters on this board saying they were too old, too banged up, and too mentally fatigued to be effective during the 2023 post season.
hgB.gif

To be fair, at this time last year when the veterans in Iowa City all announced that they were returning for an 8th year, there were plenty of posters on this board saying they were too old, too banged up, and too mentally fatigued to be effective during the 2023 post season.
hgB.gif
And none of them have accomplished what RBY has and will accomplish. nor does RBY have the wear and tear of a hawkeye wrestler

Reactions: Ski
Newsflash - just checked the Outer Circle and they aren’t taking it well.

cHeAtInG, sTaLlEr, Spencer is going up to 133 and will sMaSh EvErYoNe!!!!!
@Chickenman Testa, I have seen this posting technique often recently, so you are the grand winner (loser!) recipient of my internet ignorance question of the day. By alternating lower case and upper case letters, what is that supposed to communicate? TIA : )

@Chickenman Testa, I have seen this posting technique often recently, so you are the grand winner (loser!) recipient of my internet ignorance question of the day. By alternating lower case and upper case letters, what is that supposed to communicate? TIA : )
It’s generally driven by the younger set on the Interwebs to express mockery of the subject matter and the person purportedly saying what is in the crazy phrase with the alternating text. Like all caps signifies someone yelling in text form, alternating caps makes a person seem off-kilter.

The human personification of alternating caps would seem to me to be someone like Grip220 on HR.

I’m way older than the typical Internet memester, so alternating caps always remind me of those ransom notes made by cutting out letters from various magazines and putting them together so as not to have your handwriting deciphered.

If Spencer goes to 133 and wins, he’d be the first 4 timer to win 3 times at one weight then move up to get the fourth. That would have to make him the greatest 4 timer ever, huh?
: ) I seem to remember some obscure wrestler at 184 who moved up to 197 his senior season to win his fourth title. I think he went on to coach under the name Bael Masterson and had some moderate success. Unfortunately, the rumors of cheating, skulduggery and all-around nefariousness followed him up through the infamous chair tossing incident of 2017. He apparently has now legally changed his name to Who's Your Daddy? and runs a successful company whose product line consists solely of "You got a plan?" T-shirts and adult incontinence diapers.

Last edited:
That would follow the TnT Spencer plan. What's best for Iowa is what's best for Spencer.
Didn't spencer recently say he walks around near 125 in the offseason? Do his joints want the extra strain of bigger guys to wrestle? I realize that's your point.

It’s generally driven by the younger set on the Interwebs to express mockery of the subject matter and the person purportedly saying what is in the crazy phrase with the alternating text. Like all caps signifies someone yelling in text form, alternating caps makes a person seem off-kilter.

The human personification of alternating caps would seem to me to be someone like Grip220 on HR.

I’m way older than the typical Internet memester, so alternating caps always remind me of those ransom notes made by cutting out letters from various magazines and putting them together so as not to have your handwriting deciphered.
You, Sir, are a scholar and a gentleman!

Not that I’d want this at all, I definitely wouldn’t, but is there a percentage chance RBY bumps up to 141 this year? If so, what is it? 10%? 5%? 1%?

Very well thought out answer, I just always assumed it was the sarcasm font we all wish existed in an easier format.

Reactions: hlstone
Fix might prefer his chances with Spencer since if he can get to Saturday night, he has a 12 hour weigh in. Not saying he’d win but he might have a size advantage at least. Also who knows how Spencer looks off double ACL repair. He’s gotten a feel of both RBY and Spencer, he might know who he can game plan for better.
No way Fix is cutting to 125. Never....John Smith already has Whitlake on a decent plan to 125!🤪

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT