ADVERTISEMENT

Roar's 2023 Big Ten Wrestling Championships Seeding Review

Logically, we shouldn't want that. Nelson is going to get beat either by Labriola or Smith, give Carter an easier to bonus guy.
Logically or not, I'd much rather watch Starocci get another shot at Nelson than have a marginally better chance at bonus in his quarterfinal match.

Reactions: Hoosier Lion
To clarify, Brooks won't split Common Opponents 5-5 with Keckeisen and Munoz. Both beat Coleman, and their losses were to opponents Brooks did not face. Brooks will lose that category 10-0 to them.

Brooks should score 10-0 or 5-5 against the other 30 qualifiers in the seeding sim.
My comment was a general one. These criteria could be split, but that does not appear to be an option.

The way Warner looked against Michigan makes me think he's feeling better and he's "back" If he is, nobody in the B1G can beat him but Max IMO.
Despite Warner looking like wrestling this year is a drudgery and snapping Terry in two would be his only moment of joy, he still has the talent to be the biggest obstacle between Max and title number 2. However, I am not sure beating up on a Michigan backup is indicative his competitive passion has returned. If Tom looks at him and says go ahead and give Terry a toss or two, maybe fun and joy can be restored for the kid.

El Jefe, I completely agree. Winning % is equally silly. What is the difference between 19-1 and 18-1? Plus, the binary approach to common opponents makes little sense.

Of course, the NCAA is intentionally unclear about these "standards."

Appreciate @RoarLions1 @El-Jefe @Fink for doing the math on this stuff.

@El-Jefe you’re right the seeding doesn’t matter much for a guy like Brooks as he’s by far the best guy in the weight. Was curious if there was any “common sense/past accomplishment” type factor. Appreciate you breaking it down
I believe that the criteria are used to determine pre-seeds. Final seeds are after coaches' approval.

But seed changes are constrained to within some small range (can't remember offhand if it's +/- 2 or 3). For each wrestler. It's not a blank check to re-draw the brackets.

Meaning the coaches could theoretically vote to bump Brooks up from 3 to 1. The pre-seed 1 and 2 would then drop 1 spot each. They can't drop him from 3 to 8, by itself or as the result of adjusting other guys.

Obviously this makes it very rare. As it should be. The sport doesn't need national tournament brackets drawn by back room politicking.

Reactions: pish69
For all of that: the best indicator of NCAA seeds remains the Coaches Poll. Most seeds are close to the rankings. Not exact, but very close.

For those that aren't, it's usually because they didn't have an RPI, or they were upset conference champs, or some oddity like that.

Or their coaches' rank stunk on ice, and the other criteria served as a correction. Example: if Truax returns for the postseason, he'll very likely be seeded well above his rank (currently 33).

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but doesn't Brooks' win over Keckeisen at the NWCA count toward seeding at Nationals? That is the impression I was under, it did not count toward record, but did count in the seeding criteria for Nationals.

Reactions: hlstone
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but doesn't Brooks' win over Keckeisen at the NWCA count toward seeding at Nationals? That is the impression I was under, it did not count toward record, but did count in the seeding criteria for Nationals.
I don't think in anything official. Places like Intermat or flow can rank however they want.

Reactions: hlstone

It's not an official match; the only thing it *might* count towards is the coaches' ranking where, like it or not, the coaches *might* take that into consideration when ranking him in the final coaches poll.

So, theoretically, it DOES matter in seeding, but only so far as it influences how the coaches rank Brooks.

His multiple absences from the lineup will actually have a bigger, much more negative impact than that, IMO.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
It was an exhibition.

It might get reflected in the coaches poll because they don't always follow their own rules.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT