ADVERTISEMENT

Roar's 2016-17 Review...and more!!

Nice job Roar! Tracking Tank in his Olympic quest has taken some of the longing away to get things going for PSU in '16-'17. It will be a good one for sure, with both ZPain and some kid named Nolf looking to be the bonus point king. Different relentless styles. ZPain is a total grinder, never allowing the opponent to breath. Nolf is a constant attacker, an assassin that you don't see coming. If you need a reminder ...

I doubt we'll see much bonus pts from 125 and 133 this year based upon styles of Suri and Cortez
I think just the opposite. Jason and Zain and bo and and will push them to become bonus point machines. We are going to need those points come Bigs and Nationals. Plus it will be fun watching Suriano face mushing gilman this year. huh, jefe

Reactions: jtothemfp
I think just the opposite. Jason and Zain and bo and and will push them to become bonus point machines. We are going to need those points come Bigs and Nationals. Plus it will be fun watching Suriano face mushing gilman this year. huh, jefe

I just can't expect Cortez to bonus many NCAA qualifiers based upon his results so far and Suriano is a true freshman physical wrestler that will expand his offense over time.

I doubt we'll see much bonus pts from 125 and 133 this year based upon styles of Suri and Cortez

I find myself feeling similar. That being said Cortez does bonus against lower rung talent but seems to tighten up against similar credentialed kids. I think that is the norm across sport. What nolf zain dt do is rather remarkable

Suriano I can't put a finger on yet because HS is vastly different than college. But I expect him to dominate >25 ranked kids win the >15 by a healthy margin and be in every other matchother match. loosing to guys like nato and Gillman but they'll respect his strength and defense. Put it this way I feel If we wrestle iowa late in the year Gillman by 4 if it's pre scuffle Gillman by 7.

Roar have you had the time to examine if bonus points are up or trending up or static?

Wondering if we can draw any info from this and with an eye to the rule changes last season and how the future changes might affect the same.

year______________ total points

2013_______________1,393
2014_______________1,406.5
2015_______________1,382
2016_______________1,423.5

Too soon to tell, but it appears to have had 'some' effect. I believe there are 1,100 placement and advancement points given at nationals, so if you take the average of 2013-2015 and subtract the 1,100, you arrive at 294 bonus points. 2016 had 324 bonus points, which is an increase of 10% over the average. Obviously, sample size makes this info relatively meaningless.

Starting in 2013, there are 435 total Advancement Points, and 670 total Placement Points (or 1105 total). Prior to 2013, there were up to 200 more Advancement Points available (the old "free Advancement Points" for both the Championship (1) and Wrestle-back (.5) brackets), as the bracket was a 64-man bracket...now it's a 32-man bracket with a pigtail.

Excluding forfeits, here's the number of Bonus Point wins (and breakdown) since 2010;

2010: 162 (95 Majors, 8 Tech Falls, 59 Pins)
2011: 162 (91 Majors, 15 Tech Falls, 56 Pins)
2012: 169 (73 Majors, 15 Tech Falls, 81 Pins)
2013: 190 (104 Majors, 11 Tech Falls, 75 Pins)
2014: 180 (85 Majors, 16 Tech Falls, 79 Pins)
2015: 170 (103 Majors, 12 Tech Falls, 55 Pins)
2016: 191 (94 Majors, 25 Tech Falls, 72 Pins)

Hard to make any "statistical-significance" out of the data, but I will make these observations;

1) 25 Tech Falls in 2016 was far-and-away more than any other year. This does appear to be significant, and is the likely result of the 4-point nearfall. A couple more year's worth of information needed to make a declarative statement.

2) There does appear to be a difference in overall Bonus Point wins (excluding Forfeits). In 2010-2012, in was mid-160's, while in the past 4 years there were 2 at 190 and 191, and even a year at 180. The average for 2010-2012 was 25.7% of all NCAA matches were Bonus Point Wins, while the average for 2013-2016 was 28.6%.

3) Other numbers jump around, such as the big increase (73 to 104) in Majors, 2012 to 2013. Or Falls (56 to 81) from 2011 to 2012, among others. Some of this is explained by the average overall talent for each year, nothing more.

Presumably, by "really long", you mean impossible. There are no roads through the Darien Gap, that straddles the border between Panama and Colombia. Good luck getting a bus across that roughly 60 mile stretch of rain forest!

I'm certainly no expert on this matter, but I do recall reading about a Dutch soccer fan who drove from San Francisco to the 2014 World Cup held in Brazil.

I believe the Pirate is correct about this. The Pan American Highway, which runs from Prudhoe Bay, Alaska to Ushuaia, Argentina, has one gap in it -- at the Darien Gap, which is partly in Panama and partly in Colombia. The Highway ends in Yaviza, Panama, and picks up again in Turbo, Columbia, breaking the Pan American Highway into the northern section and the southern section.

Starting in 2013, there are 435 total Advancement Points, and 670 total Placement Points (or 1105 total). Prior to 2013, there were up to 200 more Advancement Points available (the old "free Advancement Points" for both the Championship (1) and Wrestle-back (.5) brackets), as the bracket was a 64-man bracket...now it's a 32-man bracket with a pigtail.

Excluding forfeits, here's the number of Bonus Point wins (and breakdown) since 2010;

2010: 162 (95 Majors, 8 Tech Falls, 59 Pins)
2011: 162 (91 Majors, 15 Tech Falls, 56 Pins)
2012: 169 (73 Majors, 15 Tech Falls, 81 Pins)
2013: 190 (104 Majors, 11 Tech Falls, 75 Pins)
2014: 180 (85 Majors, 16 Tech Falls, 79 Pins)
2015: 170 (103 Majors, 12 Tech Falls, 55 Pins)
2016: 191 (94 Majors, 25 Tech Falls, 72 Pins)

Hard to make any "statistical-significance" out of the data, but I will make these observations;

1) 25 Tech Falls in 2016 was far-and-away more than any other year. This does appear to be significant, and is the likely result of the 4-point nearfall. A couple more year's worth of information needed to make a declarative statement.

2) There does appear to be a difference in overall Bonus Point wins (excluding Forfeits). In 2010-2012, in was mid-160's, while in the past 4 years there were 2 at 190 and 191, and even a year at 180. The average for 2010-2012 was 25.7% of all NCAA matches were Bonus Point Wins, while the average for 2013-2016 was 28.6%.

3) Other numbers jump around, such as the big increase (73 to 104) in Majors, 2012 to 2013. Or Falls (56 to 81) from 2011 to 2012, among others. Some of this is explained by the average overall talent for each year, nothing more.
Some of the variability in such a short window of time appears to be related to a slug of high end talented bonus machines in 2013, so we'd need to see another 10-15 years of data to smooth it out. If you remove PSU from the numbers for the years you list, what are the yearly numbers for everyone else? Just eyeballing, I think the variability would lessen. What I'm getting at is PSU may be driving the numbers.

One thing about Cortez, or really, more about 133. 4 of 8 NCAA AA's are gone from last year, and the other 4 will be gone in 2017-18 (i.e., all 8 All-Americans were Jr's or Sr's). Assuming Cortez stays at 133, this weight class opens up this year, and even more next year. With time in the room, he may surprise many with his Bonus Point prowess. 2016-17 not as much as the following year, and probably not against top-talent. Look around, there's really not many Zain's and Jason's, Bo's too, out there.

Reactions: purescurve
Some of the variability in such a short window of time appears to be related to a slug of high end talented bonus machines in 2013, so we'd need to see another 10-15 years of data to smooth it out. If you remove PSU from the numbers for the years you list, what are the yearly numbers for everyone else? Just eyeballing, I think the variability would lessen. What I'm getting at is PSU may be driving the numbers.
Penn State's Bonus Point wins at NCAA's (includes Forfeits)
2011 - 10
2012 - 17
2013 - 19
2014 - 14
2015 - 6
2016 - 17

Penn State's Bonus Point wins at NCAA's (includes Forfeits)
2011 - 10
2012 - 17
2013 - 19
2014 - 14
2015 - 6
2016 - 17
so really, rather than the following with PSU included:

2013: 190
2014: 180
2015: 170
2016: 191

you have the following excluding PSU:

2013: 171
2014: 166
2015: 164
2016: 174

probably within the margin of error even for large sample sizes.

I believe the Pirate is correct about this. The Pan American Highway, which runs from Prudhoe Bay, Alaska to Ushuaia, Argentina, has one gap in it -- at the Darien Gap, which is partly in Panama and partly in Colombia. The Highway ends in Yaviza, Panama, and picks up again in Turbo, Columbia, breaking the Pan American Highway into the northern section and the southern section.
Not that I'm planning to make that trip (and not to detract from Roar's most excellent thread), but is there some ferry or other connection that would accommodate someone inclined to make an inter-continental journey by car?

There is a vehicle ferry that takes you across the Darien Gap so in the strict literal sense, you cannot "drive" the entire way however it's a far cry from transversing 60 miles of rain forest.

Last edited:
Reactions: royboy
Not that I'm planning to make that trip (and not to detract from Roar's most excellent thread), but is there some ferry or other connection that would accommodate someone inclined to make an inter-continental journey by car?

Sorry royboy. The ferry service is now defunct: link If you like to live dangerously, you could try to bribe some FARC rebels. :D

Roar, how many of the 17 bonus points from this past year were from the graduating seniors?

I find myself feeling similar. That being said Cortez does bonus against lower rung talent but seems to tighten up against similar credentialed kids. I think that is the norm across sport. What nolf zain dt do is rather remarkable

Suriano I can't put a finger on yet because HS is vastly different than college. But I expect him to dominate >25 ranked kids win the >15 by a healthy margin and be in every other matchother match. loosing to guys like nato and Gillman but they'll respect his strength and defense. Put it this way I feel If we wrestle iowa late in the year Gillman by 4 if it's pre scuffle Gillman by 7.
I don't think any college 125 beats Suriano by 7. He's going to be an animal for us.

At the risk of becoming a Pirate myself by helping to hijack this thread even further, there are other carriers in the area so go for it royboy, just watch out for rebel bullets. ;)

I promise roar, I'm done, lol.
No problem, this will never reach an unreadable 29 pages ;) (back at you!).

Last edited:
Roar, how many of the 17 bonus points from this past year were from the graduating seniors?

Pretty sure everything about 2016 is somewhere in this thread. Here's a recap, plus additional info, by wrestler;

First, we scored 23 Bonus Points, winning 17 matches by Bonus Points. The breakdown is Falls/MFF's - 4, Tech Falls - 4, Majors - 9.

Bonus Points accounted for 18.7% of our total team score.

We lose 5 of the 23 points to graduation (Nico had 1 Bonus Point, Jordan had 2 Bonus Points, and Smack had 2 Bonus Points).

In addition, Jimmy had 1.5 Bonus Points, Zain had 8.5, Jason had 6, and Bo had 2. No Bonus Points were scored by PSU at 165, 184 and 285.

Reactions: Sean Harp
Nice job Roar! Tracking Tank in his Olympic quest has taken some of the longing away to get things going for PSU in '16-'17. It will be a good one for sure, with both ZPain and some kid named Nolf looking to be the bonus point king. Different relentless styles. ZPain is a total grinder, never allowing the opponent to breath. Nolf is a constant attacker, an assassin that you don't see coming. If you need a reminder ...

Very good Nolf highlight video MDAlum.

Nolf has such incredible body awareness, both his own and his opponents'.

Combine that with his very competitive drive, high wrestling IQ, lightening reflexes, acrobatic moves and a deep tank that wears down opponents.

Very fun to watch Jason turn it on in matches. Yet, he is so outwardly calm during interviews. He has a rare mix of exceptional wrestling abilities.

There are 3 wrestlers in the nation who can beat him. That's it. Three. And IF they beat him, it will be very, very close. Gilman, Nato, Dance, that's it.

I believe Dance is on record that he is moving up to 133 for his senior year.

I believe Dance is on record that he is moving up to 133 for his senior year.

Not sure. He is showing up on preseason reports as 125, although I also heard he is going to 133. I am sure The Mat will be deeply saddened if he moves up, as it would cause a PSU wrestler to move up one spot.

One thing about Cortez, or really, more about 133. 4 of 8 NCAA AA's are gone from last year, and the other 4 will be gone in 2017-18 (i.e., all 8 All-Americans were Jr's or Sr's). Assuming Cortez stays at 133, this weight class opens up this year, and even more next year. With time in the room, he may surprise many with his Bonus Point prowess. 2016-17 not as much as the following year, and probably not against top-talent. Look around, there's really not many Zain's and Jason's, Bo's too, out there.

I think Cortez AAs, but 133 has some studs coming in. Miccic, Eirman, Brock, and Pletcher will all be tough.

Cortez has had a year in that room.

A year in THAT room, changes people. That's been proven time and time again.

I think Cortez AAs, but 133 has some studs coming in. Miccic, Eirman, Brock, and Pletcher will all be tough.
No doubt, but my opinion is Jered will hold his own against these guys, and win more than he loses. Oh, and it's "Micic" and "Eierman".

There are 3 wrestlers in the nation who can beat him. That's it. Three. And IF they beat him, it will be very, very close. Gilman, Nato, Dance, that's it.
Eh, you forgot Tim Lambert. And of course, Vitali Arujau.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT