ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Jim Brown, age 87

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
I am always of mixed emotions on JB. He clearly is the best NFL running back of all time. And he was able to Bed, perhaps, the most beautiful natural woman of all time, Raquel Welch.

He was a physical abuser but in the day, was able to get away with it. In later years, as he mellowed, he was a great leader of youths to help them get out of gang activity.

• Never missed a game in his career
  • Ran for at least 100 yards in 58 of his 118 regular-season games
  • Still an NFL-best 8 rushing titles
  • Only non-QB to win 3 NFL MVPs
  • Ranked the 4th greatest athlete of the 20th century by ESPN

RIP, JB.

I am always of mixed emotions on JB. He clearly is the best NFL running back of all time. And he was able to Bed, perhaps, the most beautiful natural woman of all time, Raquel Welch.

He was a physical abuser but in the day, was able to get away with it. In later years, as he mellowed, he was a great leader of youths to help them get out of gang activity.

RIP, JB.

Never saw him live in college, on occasional TV though. In the pros he was a glider and bigger than the line men of his time.

RIP, JB.

When I first saw this, got my schools and RB's mixed. Sid Young, coached at Haverford High and played for Syracuse, Sid was the Syracuse Defensive player who grabbed Prentis Gault's tear away jersey in the Orange Bowl and was left face down in the dirt. You could never mention that to Sid.

Plain and simple - the greatest RB of all time. No one else is even a close 2nd

I agree but think Gale Sayers and Barry Sanders would at least be in the conversation.

Both played for bad teams. Sayers was cut down by injury. And Sanders walked away, like Brown, while he was ahead of the game.

Still, in the end, Brown is the legend against whom all others are measured. I remember watching him on television in the 1960's...and he was beyond amazing.

Reactions: NedFromYork
I agree but think Gale Sayers and Barry Sanders would at least be in the conversation.

Both played for bad teams. Sayers was cut down by injury. And Sanders walked away, like Brown, while he was ahead of the game.

Still, in the end, Brown is the legend against whom all others are measured. I remember watching him on television in the 1960's...and he was beyond amazing.
Sayers, Sanders, and OJ are in the conversation.

Reactions: Jerry

Hard to argue against both. Actually, I was a Bears fan growing up and Sayers was my favorite player in the 60s. Both Sanders and especially Sayers were different types of backs when compared to Brown. Both could cut and switch direction in the blink of an eye

Reactions: Jerry
I did not see Jim Brown play. However, I did see O.J. Simpson. For my money, the juice was the greatest running back to play the game. He was a tremendous track athlete with world class speed. Simpson played on some very bad Buffalo teams yet managed to rush for over 2,000 yards in a 14 game season. A one cut runner who was simply bad ass in my opinion.

The only man enshrined in the NFL, College, and lacrosse halls of fame.
I don’t think it takes anything away from these other great players to say JB was the best ever.

I would love to see what Saquon could do in a running back oriented offense like they played back then.

Fascinating man. Tremendous athlete. And intimidating player and, while I never met him, just seeing him interviewed you could tell he was intimidating in person off the field. Very intense.

Grew up in very racist times, had to experience a lot of crap while in college as that was when teams were just starting to be integrated. More as he travelled in the NFL. Made him a somewhat angry man, understandably. Sadly, some of that carried into his personal life.

But he went on to do great things for society from fighting for equal rights, to fighting crime and gangs.

An imperfect life well lived.

Reactions: dailybuck777
I’ve been watching football since the mid 1950’s, and I’ve seen all the great ones referenced here. Everyone has their own opinion of course, but JB was a magnificent athlete and the most punishing runner I ever saw. It must have been sheer hell to try and bring him down, because it usually took three or four players to do it every time he carried the ball 🏈.

Most of the great ones have been mentioned in this thread but another one that I remember - and maybe some of you old timers do as well - was Ernie Davis who won the Heisman in the early 60s, and I believe was the #1 pick in the NFL draft. He also went to Syracuse and broke a few of Brown's record. Many had him pegged as a future all-time great in the NFL but unfortunately he passed away from Leukemia before his NFL took off.

BTW, I do consider Brown the GOAT although players like Sanders, Simpson and Sayers should also get recognition. The one I really enjoyed watching was Sayers who was absolutely electric.

Last edited:
Brown always resented that Franco Harris was going to break his rushing record. Franco wasn't his kind of running back. So he squawked about it.

Brown was, and I still think, the greatest running back ever. Brown portrayed an image outside of football that he really wasn't. He had numerous assault charges and spent time in prison because he refused to agree to terms of probabation on another assault charge. That was his arrogance. He was a BIG man. Actually he really wasn't what he was portrayed as. No one would call him out because he was a Black icon.

While he was the greatest on the football field, he was not the man Franco Harris was. Franco had class. Real class.

Always thought he was the best football player ever and he actually had to deal with real oppression. Still think the babe was the best baseball player ever too and Jim Thorpe and Bo Jackson were the best athletes ever but I’m old

It would have been fascinating to see Brown and Simpson go against each other in their prime. Brown was like a tank, you couldn't bring him down, Simpson was a Maserati, once he got in the open field, you couldn't catch him.
Simpson didn't have the durability of Brown.

Jim Brown used to play golf at Highland Park in Cleveland which I occasionally played. One day he was late for his tee time and I saw him run like a deer from the first tee to the second tee (about 400 yards, up a hill) pulling a pull cart.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Jim Brown used to play golf at Highland Park in Cleveland which I occasionally played. One day he was late for his tee time and I saw him run like a deer from the first tee to the second tee (about 400 yards, up a hill) pulling a pull cart.
His speed for someone that big was off the charts

Always thought he was the best football player ever and he actually had to deal with real oppression. Still think the babe was the best baseball player ever too and Jim Thorpe and Bo Jackson were the best athletes ever but I’m old
I'd also include Jesse Owens in that group. His feats at the Olympics - with Hitler in the stands - was epic.

I also consider Babe Ruth as the greatest baseball player ever and the reason why is his stats absolutely DWARFED the other players in his prime years - he totally changed the game. The crowds he drew - especially kids - and his popularity are still unmatched in American sports. You could probably make somewhat of the same claim for the others including Brown who won the rushing title almost every year he played (8 or 9).

Reactions: OLG1986
Grew up in very racist times, had to experience a lot of crap while in college as that was when teams were just starting to be integrated. More as he travelled in the NFL. Made him a somewhat angry man, understandably. Sadly, some of that carried into his personal life.
Perhaps he was born an angry man and just happened to have black skin. He bedded the sexiest woman alive and appeared in Hollywood movies. Regardless of his upbringing, he overcame all obstacles and had a great life (except for when he got in his own way).

His work with youth should have been in the NYT's tweet but that wouldn't meet their current reporting guidelines.

I'd also include Jesse Owens in that group. His feats at the Olympics - with Hitler in the stands - was epic.

I also consider Babe Ruth as the greatest baseball player ever and the reason why is his stats absolutely DWARFED the other players in his prime years - he totally changed the game. The crowds he drew - especially kids - and his popularity are still unmatched in American sports. You could probably make somewhat of the same claim for the others including Brown who won the rushing title almost every year he played (8 or 9).
I would include Ali and maybe Tiger Woods in the group too.

I would include Ali and maybe Tiger Woods in the group too.
I agree about Ali but the problem I have with both Tiger Woods and Jack Nicklaus is that they didn't have the competition you see in today's game that is a result of a WORLDWIDE game now. Name any modern country and they probably have golfers on the PGA tour.....and damn good ones. The records that Woods and Nicklaus set will absolutely never be broken as both had competition from maybe 5 to 10 players that could challenge them. Today, there's 60 to 70 players - again Worldwide - to can win a PGA tournament.

Plus, look at the players today - the vast majority are athletes and in shape unlike many of the golfers from a few decades ago - many of them who smoked openly and were overweight with bellies and this is coming from a 72 year old who was a huge Nicklaus fan

Last edited:
I agree about Ali but the problem I have with both Tiger Woods and Jack Nicklaus is that they didn't have the competition you see in today's game that is a result of a WORLDWIDE game now. Name any modern country and they probably have golfers on the PGA tour.....and damn good ones. The records that Woods and Nicklaus set will absolutely never be broken as both had competition from maybe 5 to 10 players that could challenge them. Today, there's 60 to 70 players - again Worldwide - to can win a PGA tournament.

Plus, look at the players today - the vast majority are athletes and in shape unlike many of the golfers from a few decades ago - many of them who smoked openly and were overweight with bellies and this is coming from a 72 year old who was a huge Nicklaus fan
All you have to do is watch Jack Nicklaus making putts under pressure. He played against Gary Player, Lee Trevino, Arnold Palmer, Billy Casper, Tom Watson (who recently came close to winning the British Open at age 60)

A little earlier Ben Hogan's ball striking was unreal and unmatched even with inferior equipment. I believe in one US Open, he hit 35 of the last 36 greens.

All you have to do is watch Jack Nicklaus making putts under pressure. He played against Gary Player, Lee Trevino, Arnold Palmer, Billy Casper, Tom Watson (who recently came close to winning the British Open at age 60)

A little earlier Ben Hogan's ball striking was unreal and unmatched even with inferior equipment. I believe in one US Open, he hit 35 of the last 36 greens.
Not saying Nicklaus wasn't a great one - he absolutely was. But the Tour is loaded today with the likes of Trevino, Palmer, Player etc..... That was my point - Nicklaus only had a handful of players he had to worry about whereas today with the worldwide factor, there are boatloads that can win. Same with Wood's competition. I'm predicting that none of the current players in their 20s will ever win 4 or 5 majors and even that would be a heck of an accomplishment

I agree with what you say. I was thinking more about Tiger as a pure athlete. I think he could have made a great shortstop or a great point guard. I think his athletic ability was underestimated.
Just like I think Ali could have been a supurb power forward, tight end, or center fielder.

I agree with what you say. I was thinking more about Tiger as a pure athlete. I think he could have made a great shortstop or a great point guard. I think his athletic ability was underestimated.
I will give Tiger Woods the credit for starting the 'athlete' type on the PGA Tour. All of these guys since are athletes - exercising, weight lifting, etc - and it basically started with Woods. You just don't see the beer bellies on tour anymore like you did in decades past

Not saying Nicklaus wasn't a great one - he absolutely was. But the Tour is loaded today with the likes of Trevino, Palmer, Player etc..... That was my point - Nicklaus only had a handful of players he had to worry about whereas today with the worldwide factor, there are boatloads that can win. Same with Wood's competition. I'm predicting that none of the current players in their 20s will ever win 4 or 5 majors and even that would be a heck of an accomplishment
Those handful of players Jack competed against are in the Golf Hall of Fame and knew how to win major tournaments. Those today? Not so much. In Tiger's prime only Phil was a legitimate rival. As Tiger got older, then the McElroys, Spieth and Koepka appeared.

Those handful of players Jack competed against are in the Golf Hall of Fame and knew how to win major tournaments. Those today? Not so much. In Tiger's prime only Phil was a legitimate rival. As Tiger got older, then the McElroys, Spieth and Koepka appeared.
Again, it goes back to the competition today and how hard it is to win with the International scene. And I'm pretty sure you have a few HOF golfers on the Tour today. The 20-something golfers today are really good, in excellent shape, and there's a ton of them from ALL OVER THE WORLD.

And keep in mind, I'm 72 but just don't want to get caught up by living in the past - I was a huge Nicklaus fan. Don't understand your comment about "those today, Not so much."

Last edited:
I go to Jack's tournament - The Memorial - almost every year and he even commented on how extremely difficult it is to win on the Tour a couple of years ago also citing excellent golfers from all over the world. Some people just refuse to recognize it for some reason. And there are future HOF golfers on the Tour today but they won't end up with the wins basically because of what Jack and others in this thread said - Massive Competition. These kids on the Tour today are athletes

Last edited:

The same could be said about Brown…he didn’t play against the level of athlete RB’s had to go against later and especially now. He was bigger and faster than most of the players back then, but he wouldn’t be now.

Reactions: rrdd2021
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT