ADVERTISEMENT

Football REPORT: Former Indiana HC Tom Allen to be next Penn State DC

His insane sideline antics were always fun to watch, but once a year satisfied me.

I would’ve preferred Poindexter over Allen. It’s interesting to look at Allen’s past, which has glimpses of defensive greatness, but not the consistency I would’ve liked to see for a hire outside our system. I think we have become a destination for head coach rehab.

I would’ve preferred Poindexter over Allen. It’s interesting to look at Allen’s past, which has glimpses of defensive greatness, but not the consistency I would’ve liked to see for a hire outside our system. I think we have become a destination for head coach rehab.
How much consistency do you expect from Indiana in the Big 10 East?

Allen was the 2020 Big Ten Coach of the Year and American Football Coaches Association national coach of the year.
I guess I’ll have to sit and watch. Lord knows that half the posters on this board could spin up a killer D gameplan.

You can look it that way, but Manny turned out spectacularly. I think former head coaches bring a level of maturity and have a broader perspective than someone who hasn’t been there and done that.

If that puts us in the company of programs like Alabama, I'm all for it.

How much consistency do you expect from Indiana in the Big 10 East?
I’m looking at his entire body of work. Bad wording on my part - I am really looking for longevity of success at big boy div 1 level. Looks like a grinder that has gradually worked his way up from high school football coaching to college coaching. He certainly doesn’t come in with the same credentials that Manny had.

Tom Allen, when coaching primarily defense, consistently turned lower level programs into defensive power houses, ranking right up there with the elite teams in the country in all stat categories, often leading the charts in sacks and tackles for a loss. Everywhere he has been, there has been instant and monumental improvement in the team’s defense.

His task at PSU is not going to be to improve the defense, it will be to keep it at the top. I think he can do that.

Being fair about it, he’s probably a good X and 0 guy, but he’s never had the talent that one would have at PSU. Designating a defense and actually having the players to implement are two different things. From the way he acts during games he certainly has the passion. I guess we’re going to find the warts on anyone who replaces Manny.

If that puts us in the company of programs like Alabama, I'm all for it.
No, that is not a bad thing at all. It’s not a terrible hire. It’s just not one that wows me personally. But I’ll trust Franklin that he made the right move.

Reactions: Thomas1945
Great selection by coach Franklin. Penn State gets an experienced defensive minded coach with the bonus of head coaching experience.

It tells me Franklin has learned from his past in-house coordinator hires which were underwhelming hires. I am extremely glad Franklin did not go in-house for a coordinator position.

Great selection by coach Franklin.
I don’t know if I can go that far yet, but I certainly can live with it. Also understanding that none of our opinions means a flying fu$k to Franklin.

Tom Allen will be a Head Coach again with this gig. Anthony Poindexter should be ready to take the keys after 2 years with Manny and a few with Tom. That’s some great defensive minds to learn from. I like it! I like it a lot!

Tom Allen will be a Head Coach again with this gig. Anthony Poindexter should be ready to take the keys after 2 years with Manny and a few with Tom. That’s some great defensive minds to learn from. I like it! I like it a lot!

My biggest concern is Poindexter might leave then in the interim to get a DC gig - has Diaz hired a DC for Duke yet?

Reactions: dswartz
What is wrong with head coach rehab? Seemed to work hiring Manny. And, what glimpses of D has Poindexter had? These are critical upcoming yrs for PSU....hard to hand Dex the job at this point. Tom checks off many more boxes for James that he has alluded to as how a head coach provides great value. Not to mention James has been quoted numerous times about the character and positive qualities of Tom. Anytime james does that you know it's somebody he thinks highly of

Reactions: The Spin Meister
My biggest concern is Poindexter might leave then in the interim to get a DC gig - has Diaz hired a DC for Duke yet?
Not that I have seen, I do think it would be something to watch. Nothing intel based but it would make sense for Poindexter perhaps if he thinks being a DC is something he absolutely needs to be to eventually get a HC job.

Reactions: dswartz
Not that I have seen, I do think it would be something to watch. Nothing intel based but it would make sense for Poindexter perhaps if he thinks being a DC is something he absolutely needs to be to eventually get a HC job.
And after being passed over here would he consider a lateral move as well?

Excellent hire. Solid resume as a defensive coordinator, high energy, players will probably enjoy playing for him after they get past Manny leaving

I guess I’ll have to sit and watch. Lord knows that half the posters on this board could spin up a killer D gameplan.
Thank you for the recognition.

I have been hard at work the last two years drafting schemes in the barn. Got everything covered from the Wing-T to the Wishbone, with a little I-formation too.

Thank you for the recognition.

I have been hard at work the last two years drafting schemes in the barn. Got everything covered from the Wing-T to the Wishbone, with a little I-formation too.
I have been perfecting Spread HD by trying to incorporate “the Lion” position and trick plays with wr and rb pass options .

Reactions: Ski
James can do whatever he wants and 90% of the people on this board are always happy it’s a win, win for everyone good for u guys

Been a while since been on here or posted. Like most IU folks, wish Tom Allen well unless playing IU. He’s a good man. Wish he could have won more to keep the ‘19 and ‘20 momentum going.

Much of his undoing was coordinator turnover and more often than not, those hires fell woefully short (other than Kalen DeBoer for his 1 season as OC in ‘19; Kane Womack as DC in ‘19 and ‘20).

The horrible hire of Walt Bell from UMass as OC after the ‘21 season (fired mid-year this year), keeping his buddy Darren Hiller as OL coach 2 years too long and losing too many winnable games this season (after the O looked much improved the 2nd half of season w interim OC, Rod Carey) with HIS D the main reason for blown leads vs Illinois, MSU and PU ultimately cost him his gig.

He will certainly have better talent to work with at PSU. Hopefully for you guys, that means he won’t be dropping his best pass rushing ends (like he did w Ryder Anderson in ‘21, now on the NY Giants and Dasan McCullough in ‘22, now at OU) into pass coverage 50% of the time as he loved to do so often. Never understood that at all.

Maybe TA wants to be a HC again. IDK. But, you’re probably getting him in the job he’s best suited for, DC.

Been a while since been on here or posted. Like most IU folks, wish Tom Allen well unless playing IU. He’s a good man. Wish he could have won more to keep the ‘19 and ‘20 momentum going.

Much of his undoing was coordinator turnover and more often than not, those hires fell woefully short (other than Kalen DeBoer for his 1 season as OC in ‘19; Kane Womack as DC in ‘19 and ‘20).

The horrible hire of Walt Bell from UMass as OC after the ‘21 season (fired mid-year this year), keeping his buddy Darren Hiller as OL coach 2 years too long and losing too many winnable games this season (after the O looked much improved the 2nd half of season w interim OC, Rod Carey) with HIS D the main reason for blown leads vs Illinois, MSU and PU ultimately cost him his gig.

He will certainly have better talent to work with at PSU. Hopefully for you guys, that means he won’t be dropping his best pass rushing ends (like he did w Ryder Anderson in ‘21, now on the NY Giants and Dasan McCullough in ‘22, now at OU) into pass coverage 50% of the time as he loved to do so often. Never understood that at all.

Maybe TA wants to be a HC again. IDK. But, you’re probably getting him in the job he’s best suited for, DC.
Good info. Thanks. He did pretty well at IU sigh what he had to work with.

Thanks for your contribution. No-one has commented on his ability to recruit. Your impression?

Reactions: Ski
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT