ADVERTISEMENT

Football Want to know more about Tom Allen? Ask an Indiana beat writer HERE!

Richie O

Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ
www.pennstate.rivals.com
Penn State is expected to announce the hire of Tom Allen as the football team's new Defensive Coordinator some time over the next few days. In the meantime, we are joined by Indiana beat writer @mvsonwilliams who's going to check in periodically and answer anything and everything you want to know about Tom Allen.

So welcome Mason and feel free to ask him anything below!

We've seen a lot of rotation over the last few years on defense. Rotating the D-line is common practice, but it seems like Diaz rotated the linebackers and secondary as well very liberally. How deep has Allen liked to go at Indiana on the defensive side? Is it common to see a lot of guys playing on defense even when the game is still in doubt?

We've seen a lot of rotation over the last few years on defense. Rotating the D-line is common practice, but it seems like Diaz rotated the linebackers and secondary as well very liberally. How deep has Allen liked to go at Indiana on the defensive side? Is it common to see a lot of guys playing on defense even when the game is still in doubt?
Great question. Allen's 4-2-5 system meant that there would be the traditional rotation with the defensive line, although edge rusher Andre Carter moved around a lot and would essentially be an every-down player by the end of the season. 6 different linemen (including Carter) saw 300+ snaps last season, plus two more that saw 250 snaps or so.

Linebacker was a different story, though. Aaron Casey and Jacob Mangum-Farrar played almost all of the snaps for Indiana in the system – 793 and 714 respectively. Only Josh Rudolph saw more than 100 snaps (123) at the LB position last season.

In the backfield, Indiana had to get creative with some alignments due to injury to fit the two corner, two safety, one husky fit Allen's system ran. But typically, top players on defense saw a majority of the snaps in comparison to second-line guys. Partially, I think it stems from the reality of not having the depth all over the field at Indiana that he'll have at Penn State, and some of it by injury. I'd think there would be more willingness to rotate and utilize worthy depth on the chart. Situations like that didn't exist often at Indiana.

Do you think any of his players possibly get looked at by PSU now that are in the portal?

Phillip Dunnam, Zach Carpenter, just 2 that stood out to me as far as high quality safety and a C with multiple years starting experience (and our in coming vacancy).

Additionally, do you think we run his 4-2-5? Diaz came in with a history of a similar 4-2-5 / 4-3 hybrid and he run a straight 4-3 other than 3rd downs.

@mvsonwilliams

Manny was great at disguising his blitz packages and the cover packages. Really confused offended. Is Mr Allen as good? Or does he have his own tricks?
In Allen's best years, his linebackers were excellent pass rushers. With his defensive system essentially always having four rushers on the line of scrimmage, the scheme aims at deploying linebackers in blitz packages to rush gaps left untouched.

The last time he was solely a coordinator, Indiana in 2016, Indiana's two best pass rushers were linebackers Tegray Scales and Marcus Oliver (per PFF). IU had 34 sacks & 226 pressures in 13 games as a whole. As USF's DC in 2015, the Bulls totaled 36 sacks and 220 pressures in 13 games.

And when he hasn't been a defensive coordinator, his position focus has been primarily linebackers. When he's given the time and opportunity to hone in on the group, his units have always been better. Now he'll have the best collection of talent in a long time to do so.

Do you think any of his players possibly get looked at by PSU now that are in the portal?

Phillip Dunnam, Zach Carpenter, just 2 that stood out to me as far as high quality safety and a C with multiple years starting experience (and our in coming vacancy).

Additionally, do you think we run his 4-2-5? Diaz came in with a history of a similar 4-2-5 / 4-3 hybrid and he run a straight 4-3 other than 3rd downs.

@mvsonwilliams
Carpenter has drawn a lot of interest, particularly from some ACC schools. Dunnam has attracted a number of potential suitors, too. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up with Miami. He's from the area, but that's just speculation. These things can change though, as recruiting always does

Have you had a chance to get comments, insights from some of IU players about what their feelings are as to Tom Allen's termination? Happy he's gone...disappointed he wasn't retained...ambivalent?

Have you had a chance to get comments, insights from some of IU players about what their feelings are as to Tom Allen's termination? Happy he's gone...disappointed he wasn't retained...ambivalent?
We've not had the chance to speak to any players since the season finale at Purdue. What I will say is that the culture of LEO, for all it was made out to be and not to be in the public eye, was a very real thing inside the locker room. His teams could have easily folded down the stretch over the past couple of seasons, but their continued play suggested there was still a good connection between him and his team.

I'm not trying to put any words in anybody's mouth on the team, but I do think some guys were probably upset that he wasn't retained. Indiana's program lost momentum, but those players still loved him. And he loved them right back. There's not many better people in the sport.

I hope that IU finds a miracle somehow and produces a lot of wins one year. Why should there be so damn many have nots? I am flipping back to the NFL because it is explicitly professional and has parity built into it. Amateur collegiate football probably exists only ion D-2 and 3 schools.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8
I hope that IU finds a miracle somehow and produces a lot of wins one year. Why should there be so damn many have nots? I am flipping back to the NFL because it is explicitly professional and has parity built into it. Amateur collegiate football probably exists only ion D-2 and 3 schools.
The quality of NFL football this year is so low that it’s becoming partially unwatchable.

How is Allen as a recruiter? Does he have any ties to PA? We’ve struggled to get stud DTs (like everyone else) - how was his Dline recruiting?

We've not had the chance to speak to any players since the season finale at Purdue. What I will say is that the culture of LEO, for all it was made out to be and not to be in the public eye, was a very real thing inside the locker room. His teams could have easily folded down the stretch over the past couple of seasons, but their continued play suggested there was still a good connection between him and his team.

I'm not trying to put any words in anybody's mouth on the team, but I do think some guys were probably upset that he wasn't retained. Indiana's program lost momentum, but those players still loved him. And he loved them right back. There's not many better people in the sport.

Culture of LEO?

I’m not writer, Mr Williams, but IU will certainly miss Dunnam. He, along with Louis Moore on D will be biggest losses from IU to portal.
No idea where Dunnam ends up, but think he could definitely crack the 2-deep at PSU.

Thought I heard Carpenter had already committed to the U of Miami. For an original UM signee, don’t think he ever quite met expectations at IU, but he also had the misfortune of being coached by Tom Allen’s buddy his first 2 seasons. Rod Carey and OL coach Bostad seemed to get Carpenter better this season.

Reactions: lazydave841
I've watched more NFL football this season than in the prior 5 combined.

What is the difference between an Eagle or Steeler and the Ole Miss transfer class? The Rwbel guys probably make more $

My ? for the IU writer would be, if we are frustrated with NIL, How does the IU fanbase feel?

Teams like IU will be stuck in a perpetual rinse cycle where they will be constantly flipping coaches...firing due to results like Allen, hiring the next bright light, then losing them if they are successful or hitting the spin cycle again.

It must feel like purgatory.....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT