ADVERTISEMENT

Reason for Trace's Punt at End of Game?

If he really can punt think about the possible scenarios sending him out there on fourth down to "punt". Does the opposition line up to field a punt or in a standard D with nobody back to field the kick. It could roll for miles. Probably never happen but it could be fun.

Does anyone understand why a spike is not intentional grounding?

I sure don't BUT what I do know is you can be called for "spiking the ball in anger". That results in a 15 yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct...it's a little known and seldom called penalty.

Reactions: Option Bob
Penn State might not have a spike in its playbook. I think that spikes must be performed from a formation with the QB under center. As has been discussed ad nauseum, Penn State might not ever do that. Or I could be wrong.

Pretty sure I remember us spiking the ball on the final drive in regulation against Minnesota last year. I'm sure someone who had the video can confirm and, if we did, if we were in the shotgun.

Just found the video and watched it. On second down before Trace's long run that set up the tying FG we spiked it out of the shotgun.

Last edited:
I know that in Playstation football games I used to punt extra points through the uprights just to be a jerk to the opponent when I was leading comfortably. LOL

Trace punting the ball was just one of those things that happens at the end of big wins sometimes. How many times have you seen a golfer throw their hat after winning a tournament on a big putt or basketball players throwing a ball in the NCAA tournament after an upset or in the final four. Total non-story except for people looking to be butt hurt.
I disagree. Those are usually spontaneous reaction right after the moment. This was well after the fact that they won settled in.

Fake outrage.
Yep, not unlike the fake outrage from our competitors regarding Sandusky. Secretly they loved it. Thought it would give them a competitive edge; the fact that it was Penn State; and it would give them something to fall back on after losses. That's pretty much all the Pitts and Iowas of the world have at this point.

I disagree. Those are usually spontaneous reaction right after the moment. This was well after the fact that they won settled in.

Man, you are a class A jerk. Not sure why I let you bother me but you are such a piece of crap I can't let it go. If you can spin something into an anti-PSU position you do it. McSorley took the final snap, took a knee and immediately punted it. But to you, that wasn't a spontaneous reaction to winning? Even though, PSU had not won until the moment about a second earlier that McSorley's knee touched the ground. I guess that second takes it from being spontaneous to being planned. Why do you continue with this charade that you're a Penn State fan?

Reactions: mn78psu83
I sure don't BUT what I do know is you can be called for "spiking the ball in anger". That results in a 15 yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct...it's a little known and seldom called penalty.
Seldom called except against us. McGloin got nailed for it (@Nebraska??).

Reactions: palmettolion
To Penn State fans it was a "celebration after an intense situation" move.

To Iowa fans it was an "in your face; take that" move.

Sorry if this was already discussed, but I just saw a short clip of Josey Jewell mocking Trace's signature "swing" after his INT. He did it literally right in front of Trace too. Hey, I really have no problem with either, but to those Hawkeye fans who whined about that punt at the end of the game, you must have a very selective memory.

How about the simple reason of celebrating PSU's victory after the final snap of the game???? Punting the ball like that is really no different than throwing a basketball, baseball, volleyball or even football high into the air directly after winning in celebration, whcih you see all the time across all levels of these sports. How Iowa fans are claiming this is "insulting" to their program is rather bizarre and absurd......and extremely whinny behavior on the part of Iowa fans.

The Iowa fans complaints are particularly whinny not just due to Jewel's behavior, but what about Watley telling the PSU crowd to "Shhhhhh" while Iowa was getting curbed-stomped just because he scored a TD??? But Trace and Juwan shouldn't celebrate after a game-winning, walk-off TD Pass??? Ummmm, yea........right-o.......the fact that these crass slack-jaws think they are the arbiter's of class and sportsmanship given the way their POS fans act is what's most amusing about all their hypocritical NON-CLASSY, POOR-LOSER whining!

How about the simple reason of celebrating PSU's victory after the final snap of the game???? Punting the ball like that is really no different than throwing a basketball, baseball, volleyball or even football high into the air directly after winning in celebration, whcih you see all the time across all levels of these sports. How Iowa fans are claiming this is "insulting" to their program is rather bizarre and absurd......and extremely whinny behavior on the part of Iowa fans.

The Iowa fans complaints are particularly whinny not just due to Jewel's behavior, but what about Watley telling the PSU crowd to "Shhhhhh" while Iowa was getting curbed-stomped just because he scored a TD??? But Trace and Juwan shouldn't celebrate after a game-winning, walk-off TD Pass??? Ummmm, yea........right-o.......the fact that these crass slack-jaws think they are the arbiter's of class and sportsmanship given the way their POS fans act is what's most amusing about all their hypocritical NON-CLASSY, POOR-LOSER whining!
Geez man. have a snickers.

Does anyone understand why a spike is not intentional grounding?

they made a rule up a decade ago or so that allows a spike to stop the clock. Before that, the QB used to take the ball and immediately throw it about 10' over the WR's head on purpose near the sideline to stop the clock. So that just slowed things down so they came up with the spike rule.

Also a couple of side notes with regard to spiking the ball to stop the clock. The QB must throw the ball forward, if they take the snap and throw to his side it could be a "backward pass" and hence a fumble.

As well the QB can't hit an Offensive Lineman's foot when they spike the ball because that would be illegal touching of an ineligible receiver. Hence being in a shotgun would help in those scenarios.

It wasn't "well after the fact" always-wrong moron - it was directly after the victory-formation on the PSU PAT ending the game -- IOW, the games OFFICIAL last snap in the play-by-play boxscore. LMFAO, now it was "well after the fact" when IN FACT it happened directly after the game's official last snap!?!? LMFAO at how ridiculous you are in attempting to misrepresent the facts to denigrate PSU student-athletes.....yea, you have us all fooled Mr. "PSU Nut"....:rolleyes:

It wasn't "well after the fact" always-wrong moron - it was directly after the victory-formation on the PSU PAT ending the game -- IOW, the games OFFICIAL last snap in the play-by-play boxscore. LMFAO, now it was "well after the fact" when IN FACT it happened directly after the game's official last snap!?!? LMFAO at how ridiculous you are in attempting to misrepresent the facts to denigrate PSU student-athletes.....yea, you have us all fooled Mr. "PSU Nut"....:rolleyes:
It was well after the excitement of the touchdown pass and play that clinched the win. It was after Penn State was already flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct. It was completely uncalled for several minutes after the game was over. My point is I could understand if it happened following the game winning play. If it was an Ohio State player I am sure you would all call him a punk.

It was planned. Something else for indiana to practice against this week and then think about on Saturday.

Reactions: Phil's Rug
Man, you are a class A jerk. Not sure why I let you bother me but you are such a piece of crap I can't let it go. If you can spin something into an anti-PSU position you do it. McSorley took the final snap, took a knee and immediately punted it. But to you, that wasn't a spontaneous reaction to winning? Even though, PSU had not won until the moment about a second earlier that McSorley's knee touched the ground. I guess that second takes it from being spontaneous to being planned. Why do you continue with this charade that you're a Penn State fan?
So you don't think the several minutes after the team already received a unsportsmanlike penalty is not enough time regain your composure? Do you seriously think he wasn't sure Penn State had won the game until he knelled down the ball? If Tyrel Pryor did it you wouldn't say it a jerk move? Bottom line is I would rather see Penn State players to have better composure. As Joe use to say act like you been there before.

So you don't think the several minutes after the team already received a unsportsmanlike penalty is not enough time regain your composure? Do you seriously think he wasn't sure Penn State had won the game until he knelled down the ball? If Tyrel Pryor did it you wouldn't say it a jerk move? Bottom line is I would rather see Penn State players to have better composure. As Joe use to say act like you been there before.

STFU you ass.

It was well after the excitement of the touchdown pass and play that clinched the win. It was after Penn State was already flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct. It was completely uncalled for several minutes after the game was over. My point is I could understand if it happened following the game winning play. If it was an Ohio State player I am sure you would all call him a punk.
Only a troll would say, we all would call him a punk. Apparently that's your opinion of McSorley.

Sorry if this was already discussed, but I just saw a short clip of Josey Jewell mocking Trace's signature "swing" after his INT. He did it literally right in front of Trace too. Hey, I really have no problem with either, but to those Hawkeye fans who whined about that punt at the end of the game, you must have a very selective memory.
I thought it was rather funny, myself....

Reactions: Whaaaaaaaany
Only a troll would say, we all would call him a punk. Apparently that's your opinion of McSorley.
I like McSorely but sometimes I do think he needs to tone down his antics after big plays. I don't think he is a punk but you missed my point in that this board would be up in arms if an opposing player did that in Beaver Stadium. You see this how this board overreacts to things. I have no problem with players showing emotions. I often felt Joe teams often lacked that. I love seeing guys showing emotions and having fun. Marcus Allen grill after the safety didn't bother me because it was immediately after the play. Some of McSorely celebrations remind me too much of the Miami celebrations in the 80's.

I hear an Iowa player returned it for a TD. NCAA looking to see if it is an official score giving Iowa the win.

Invoking the James Laurinaitis tackle count rule. Trip someone in the tunnel -- one more tackle on the stats for the pile jumper.

Reactions: denniskembala
Jewell had one job: shadow Barkley to stop him. How did he do again? Barkley 358 all purpose yards, IOWA (the whole team) 344 all purpose yards.

The move he (Barkley) put on Jewell to get a first down in the final drive was a thing of beauty.

Jewell had one job: shadow Barkley to stop him. How did he do again? Barkley 358 all purpose yards, IOWA (the whole team) 344 all purpose yards.

Kind of reminds of when people talk about shut down defenders on Lebron. How'd the defender do? He did great! But Lebron avg'd a triple double for the series. Well....

Well, be honest. Jewell would be a starter if he was at PSU. He played very well Sat night and without him on the field the game would not have gone down to the final drive and final play.

Well, be honest. Jewell would be a starter if he was at PSU. He played very well Sat night and without him on the field the game would not have gone down to the final drive and final play.

Yes, he did play well. His stop on Barkley on 3rd down was almost the game winning play.

Next time he should just take a dump on the field. At least the outrage would be justified. Go big or go home. if he'd just walked off the field I'm sure there'd be people questioning his fire and saying he needs to show more passion.

Everyone has this all wrong. It wasn't a punt, it was one of his infamous "arm punts" Dave Boy Jones and all the idiot UM internet fanboys keep fantasizing about!

:confused::confused::confused:

Trace punted the ball for one reason and one reason alone. To send a clear message that he disrespects any and alll things from Iowa down to the most rudimentary level. He wanted to make sure Iowa knew he had no respect for Iowa as a State, Institution or program. I know a guy who knows a guy who says this is true.

I like McSorely but sometimes I do think he needs to tone down his antics after big plays. I don't think he is a punk but you missed my point in that this board would be up in arms if an opposing player did that in Beaver Stadium. You see this how this board overreacts to things. I have no problem with players showing emotions. I often felt Joe teams often lacked that. I love seeing guys showing emotions and having fun. Marcus Allen grill after the safety didn't bother me because it was immediately after the play. Some of McSorely celebrations remind me too much of the Miami celebrations in the 80's.
Many opposing players have done celebratory moves in Beaver Stadium....I don't recall any of them being discussed on this board....so much for the overreaction that would happen. But thanks for playing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT