More to ignore, Book 13....

Ten Thousan Marbles

Feb 6, 2014
Little Traitor Boy, Here Comes Omicron, & Other Death Cult Xmas Carols
ShowerCap

C56D2642-BC14-4F86-BBAF-3B7099654E62.jpeg

So certain is Santa’s naughty verdict, I doubt America even bothered leaving a stocking out this year. Though down in Texas, under Greg Abbott’s Freedom Grid, I’m told they frankly could use the coal.

Yes, I offer season’s greetings from 21st-century America, a not-at-all-dystopian society in which absolutely zero public school teachers participate in dehumanizing debasement rituals presented as entertainment for the masses, least of all in the great and prosperous state of Noemistan. Everything’s fine, and to imply otherwise is disloyal. (Winston, kindly purge this paragraph from the official record.)

If anything, you should congratulate our thriving, super-healthy culture on its brand-new holiday: enjoy SCHOOL SHOOTING DAY, brought to you by TikTok! Commemorate the omnipresent dread of raising a child in a society that prioritizes the weapon-accumulating rights of would-be mass murderers over your offspring’s physical and psychological safety!

(Me, I think this is just another cynical ploy by the greeting card industry, to juice sales of their increasingly popular, “Sympathy to your family for enduring this once unimaginable, now fairly commonplace horror” line. Won’t be long until they need a whole aisle at the grocery store: so sorry your son/daughter/sister/brother/friend/mom/dad/nephew/French teacher got shot to death by a disturbed teenager/possessive ex-lover/white nationalist terrorist/random guy having a bad day.).......
Anyway, don’t take off your celebratin’ pants just yet, cuz the USA absolutely strutted past that 800,000 Covid deathsline, miles ahead of any other nation on Earth! Mind you, that’s with our new buddy, Omicron, only just starting to size up the buffet.

And, predictably, Red America offers itself up to the ravenous new variant eagerly, almost politely, like a little cake that says Eat Me.

What do you even do with these people anymore? You suggest self-preservation, and they get SO MAD. “I have a Constitutional right to harm myself, and to harm those around me, based on the misconceptions of reality I get from wasting my entire life watching liars on television,” and no, that’s not actually true, but you’re wrong about so many things, I don’t know where to start; anyhoo, guess it’s time for another wave of MAGA madness to crash down upon our poor, battered hospitals.

(Hey, get your booster shot, by the way…y’all are already on top of that, right?)

While we’re on the pandemic, a new report from the House says the Trump Administration undermined the nation’s coronavirus response ON ****ING PURPOSE, and I have to ask, like…are there supply chain issues in the pitchfork and torch industries? Both at the same time? Do we still get mad when somebody kills tens of thousands of us, or are we all just teetering piles of boiled frog meat by now?.......
As we reflect upon the wretched, piss-stained, pretty-sure-there-were-fire-ants-for-a-couple-weeks year that was 2021, I have to say, I think I’ll remember it mostly as the year the GOP Kissed an Attempted Fascist Coup (And They Liked It).

It’s that parenthetical bit that’s been poking me in the eye lately…the latest news from the January 6th commission has us looking back to that brief moment in time when even some fairly Trumpy Republicans understood that things had gotten out of hand, and said so; and it looked like we could come together again, which is what we used to do when the homeland got attacked by terrorists. And maybe we could all agree to take the off-ramp that so graciously presented itself, and get back to making our own mistakes instead of repeating history’s.

That moment was…awfully dang brief.

You look at the GOP now, and they’re basically operating as Donald Trump without the attention-grabbing clown makeup; all the same tactics, all the same goals, but generating much less outrage and therefore much less pushback.

It’s all proceeding with the efficiency the Koch crew has come to expect from their outrage-farming efforts. Cult45’s most fervent missionaries are already taking over local election infrastructure wherever possible. Shit, you can’t even run for Governor of Minnesota on the Republican ticket without genuflecting to the Big Lie…this isn’t goons on a deadline stumbling around, stepping on every possible rake anymore; it’s more organized every single day; these creeps’re choosing this adventure deliberately and consistently.

And we should be honest about that! Because Mark Meadows’ texts, and his e-mails, y’all…I mean, we’re talking about the chief coordinating officer for a massive criminal conspiracy to end constitutional democracy in the United States based on something Louie Gohmert saw on the internet; the contents of this treacherous clown’s phone were gonna generate some headlines, but…****, why is it always even worse than I was expecting? Because I was already expecting “idiot Nazi crime spree,” okay?

It’s like cracking open the chest of a lifelong smoker, and yeah, you find the ruined lungs, but there’s also a brown, oily, mass of maggots where the heart should be. This is also a handy metaphor for the American Right generally.

For example, turns out no less than SIX sitting U.S. Congressmen actively collaborated with the Trump White House’s (lest we forget) fascist coup attempt. Pretty cool that these documented enemies of American democracy get to retain their full legislating powers, isn’t it? Like, outside of “No one gets to be in charge but us,” what other laws do you think we should have, Mr. Jordan?

That’s to say nothing of Meadows’ private assurances, on January 5th, that come the day of the deed, the National Guard would stand ready to enter the fray…but only on one side. Chilling. Y’know, I never get called by pollsters, but if anybody ever asked me about Mark, I do believe I’d be tempted to go so far as to strongly disapprove.

And then there’re the texts with the haughty propagandists of Fox News, providing valuable insight into the sensation of pure, uncut, Mary Shelley clarity one experiences at the precise moment puppeteering a President stops being fun.

Hannity, Ingraham and Kilmeade, name a more iconic three-mouthed rectum, I’ll wait. Probably less than ideal that these were the folks conversing with the White House Chief of Staff during a terrorist attack on Congress, but hey, it took a whole bunch of zany misadventures to get us to January 6th in the first place.

Anyway, they’ve all once again been revealed as cheap, lying grifters, not that anyone in their audience will notice. These bastards take their indoctrination seriously, and it shows; you can’t get folks to swallow a steady diet of shit and nothing but shit with just parsley sprigs and sleight of hand, y’know; you have to reach deep inside that ol’ cranium, and rip out some wiring. Otherwise, when the curtain gets yanked back like this, and the rubes get such a clear look at the con, and the sneering disdain in which they’re held, they might ask for something else to eat.

But no, they’re gonna line up same time tomorrow for a fresh bowl of shit and a clean spoon. You almost have to admire the craftsmanship of the disinformation-dispensing apparatus.,,,,,,,,
Speaking of, I see Chris Wallace decided to sneak out the back door at Fux before the War on Xmas turns hot and the office party starts incorporating live sacrifices of the unfaithful. Probably wise.

Wallace’s successor as the network’s last, flagging voice of reason begging the mob to maintain some small shred of sanity and/or decency will be…what, Geraldo? ****ing GERALDO? Well, I’m sure he’s up to it.,,,,,,,,,,
Down in The Villages, they’re too old and rich to handle cop-bludgeoning duties on the front lines, but they’re every bit as dumb and disloyal as any Proud Boy. No doubt hoping to pull their own weight in the struggle to eradicate democracy, a trio of golf cart insurrectionists instead received a fun lil’ lesson on just how efficiently existing laws deal with the handful of asshats dumb enough to actually attempt voter fraud.,,,,,,,,,,
While it was previously reported that the RNC would submissively take on Pumpkin Spice Pol Pot’s personal legal bills, we’ve now learned the precise extent of the cucking; it’s $1.6 million these hopeless chumps have committed, plus Reince Priebus has to deliver the check in person every month, at which time he is forced to chug a sneakerful of Eric’s urine in front of the whole family.........
So, I see the same piece of shit who once proclaimed the Jews-will-not-replace-us-screechers of the world to be “very fine people” yet again casually vomited up an anti-Semitic diatribe indistinguishable from the background chatter at Richard Spencer’s board game night; weird how that kind of stuff keeps happening, especially with institutional racism being so fake and all.

Still, like most white supremacists, the Deposed Dotard mostly just careens from failure to failure. He lost another big’n in court this week, those precious tax returns won’t remain secret much longer. Plus, he’s such a big fancy kingmaker man now that they’re writing whole articles mocking his impotent attempts to dethrone Mitch McConnell. Shit, the sloppy old has-been STILL can’t manage a layup as easy as an Alabama Senate primary. To me, this is exactly why you don’t build your cult of personality around an enormous loser, but hey…tastes vary.........
All that said, owing to the holiday season and my desperate need to drain the poison from my brain, I will be taking next week OFF from this blog. I’ll be back on New Year’s Eve, no doubt rejuvenated, and armed with new, cutting-edge poop jokes.

Anyway, I gotta go; Bannon’s stuck in my chimney; he’s threatening to breathe on the yuletide fire, and I fear the gin fumes would set the entire neighborhood ablaze. Stay safe out there, please enjoy the seasonal rituals of your choosing, secular or otherwise.

Ten Thousan Marbles

Feb 6, 2014

211217-Swin___Rawnsley-JayJohnston-Bob_sBurgers-Capitol-tease_l0cc7g

The aftermath of the deadly Jan. 6 Capitol riot has—largely—been the story of a glaring lack of consequences. Though numerous alleged rioters have been picked up or charged by the feds, and several major MAGA personalities have been bombarded with subpoenas and expensive lawsuits, many of the leaders and lawmakers behind Donald Trump and the Republicans’ attempted coup have escaped an actual reckoning.

After all, the leader of the failed coup, former President Trump, is still the undisputed and protected leader of his party, and his anti-democratic lies about the 2020 election continue to dominate the mainstream GOP’s priorities. The majority of the post-Jan. 6 consequences and jail time has been shouldered not by the leaders, but by the Capitol invaders who were on the ground that day at the then-president’s instruction.

But just because Donald Trump managed to escape a reckoning doesn’t mean Jimmy Pesto did.

One of these alleged Jan. 6 participants who has paid some sort of price for the violent events of that day is none other than Jay Johnston, an actor and comedian whose credits include beloved TV series and movies such as Mr. Show, Arrested Development, and Anchorman.

According to two people familiar with the matter, top staff at the long-running animated sitcom Bob’s Burgers are no longer allowing Johnston to voice his recurring character—Jimmy Pesto Sr.—on the critically lauded Fox show. One of the sources described it as a “ban.” The other individual familiar with the matter described the situation similarly, adding that the Bob’s Burgers cast and crew, as well as Fox, were not looking to make “a big deal” about the current blacklisting of the apparent insurrection-attendee.

The character of Jimmy Pesto Sr. had become a Bob’s Burgers fan favorite since his debut in the show’s first season. He’s the owner of Jimmy Pesto’s Pizzeria, a successful and comparatively “classy” establishment that gives Bob headaches; a loud and proud Italian, sporting Italian flag underwear and an Italian flag tie; and the oddball foil to Bob. Whereas Bob is a hard-working family man, Pesto changed his last name to make it seem more Italian, is a divorced dad who ignores his three sons, and is a sexual deviant with a lifetime membership to the local fetish club Desire Dungeon, where he’s known as “Baby Num-Num,” the diaper lover.

Johnston, 53, had voiced Pesto in a grand total of 43 episodes of Bob’s Burgers over the course of its first 11 seasons. He last appeared in the Season 11 episode “The Bridge Over Troubled Rudy,” which aired on May 2, 2021, and has been noticeably absent from the show’s 12th season.

On Friday, a Fox spokesperson simply told The Daily Beast, “Thanks for reaching out, FOX has no comment” on this story, and a Disney spokesperson similarly replied, “We will not be providing a comment.” Johnston could not be reached for comment, and phone calls were not returned as of Friday afternoon.

Johnston, Fox and the staff of Bob’s Burgers have never publicly confirmed that that was, in fact, Johnston’s face that the FBI published in a poster soliciting tips about a possible riot suspect. Johnston has not been arrested or charged with a crime.

His name first surfaced as a potential participant in the insurrection when web sleuths identified the comedy actor as a suspected rioter seen in an FBI poster on March 4 and in video of the riot filmed near the Capitol steps. In the footage, a man wearing a green leather jacket and camouflage neck gaiter—dubbed suspect number 247 by the Bureau—is visible alongside rioters taking pictures as Trump supporters push their way toward the building in front of scaffolding set up for the forthcoming inauguration.

“I’m no detective, but I do know Jay. He said he was there. And that’s him in the picture. So…” Cassandra Church, an actress who worked alongside Johnston on the show Harmontown, tweeted in March. Spencer Crittenden, another former Harmontown colleague of Johnston’s, wrote that the actor’s “also a craven Trump supporter and was there at the time” in a since-deleted tweet.

Tim Heidecker, an actor and comedy writer who guest-starred on Bob’s Burgers, tweeted that he had “fully confirmed through reliable sources” that the man in the FBI poster was Johnston and added “it’s Jay.” Heidecker subsequently deleted the posts because, he said, his tweet “was a reply to someone who asked and shouldn’t be used as some kind of official source of information or verification.”

In addition to his reputed fondness for Trump, Johnston is also an associate of Gavin McInnes and appeared on his now-defunct show in 2015. McInnes is the founder of the Proud Boys, a far-right extremist group which saw over 60 of its members arrested in connection with the Capitol insurrection. McInnes has since tried to distance himself from the group.

Ten Thousan Marbles

Feb 6, 2014
Covid mitigation should focus on ventilation, less on social distancing, hand washing
rufe

Public health measures in the United States to mitigate the spread of Covid-19 have thus far focused primarily on social distancing, hand and surface hygiene, and mask use.

Since coronavirus has been known to be an airborne virus since the MERS outbreak of 2015, the former of these measures are thought to be relatively ineffective in preventing the spread of Sars-Cov-2, the virus responsible for Covid-19.

Thanks to recent research conducted by the University of Waterloo, we can now conclude that even mask use (at least using the masks recommended by the US CDC*) is likely less effective than
simply opening a window. According to the abstract of the study:

The results also suggest that [...] even relatively low air-change rates lead to lower aerosol build-up compared to the best performing mask in an unventilated space.

Ventilation is substantially more palatable for the general public than social distancing or even mask use and high levels of compliance can be expected, yet while Canada and much of Asia have made ventilation and air filtration a cornerstone of their Covid mitigation measures the US has not adopted ventilation enhancement to any significant degree. (The most shocking example of the lack of focus on ventilation I recently experienced was visiting a certain major research university, the buses were operating with windows completely closed.) The only real investment in ventilation or air purification has been for schools, provided in the American Rescue Plan; while this is certainly a good thing, it means nothing unless mitigation extends into the communities children live in.

Educating the public on effective ventilation measures for the home (where up to 70% of infections happen) or small businesses and providing funding to large public places for efficient ventilation and filtration systems such as air-to-air heat exchangers or HEPA filtration should be a high priority.

(Ventilation also has the added benefit that anti-vaxers can’t circumvent the measure by doing something stupid like wearing a mesh or lace mask and infect everybody around them!)

* Regarding mask use, the results of the study suggest that ordinary surgical masks and cloth masks provide very little mitigation (~10%) of aerosol generation while higher efficiency masks provide excellent mitigation (upwards of 60%). The US CDC’s refusal to adopt a standard for and recommend the use of non-occupational respirators similar to the South Korean KF94 or Chinese KN-95 and instead endorse the ASTM F3502-21 standard, a standard which requires absolutely no objective testing of external or internal leakage and has a filtration requirement so low it is entirely useless, will likely prove to have been another misstep in controlling the spread of covid in the United States.

Ten Thousan Marbles

Feb 6, 2014

Report from House Oversight Committee emphasizes how Trump deliberately suppressed COVID-19 data
Mark Sumner

On Feb. 25, 2020 Nancy Messonier, director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, gave a somber warning of what lay ahead. Americans, said Dr. Messonier, should expect “disruption to everyday life may be severe.“ She explained that, after looking at the information then available on the novel coronavirus pandemic spreading from China, that she had sat down and held a talk with her own family. “Ultimately, we expect we will see community spread in this country. It’s not so much a question of if this will happen any more, but rather more exactly when this will happen, and how many people in this country will have severe illness.” Two days later, Dr. Messonier was instructed to stop giving press conferences, and essentially sidelined from the handling of the pandemic.

That Donald Trump downplayed the threat represented by COVID-19 and attempted to suppress information related to the scope of the danger, is not exactly a surprise. Whether it was Trump’s claim that there were only 15 cases in the U.S. and that it would soon be down to zero, or the ridicule directed at both scientists and politicians who attempted to be honest with the public, Trump’s actions generated tens of thousands and eventually hundreds of thousands of unnecessary deaths. In November, documents were released showing some of the ways Trump and his team worked to silence scientists, hide the recommendations from the CDC and other agencies, and block release of information such as the importance of wearing masks.

And now the House Oversight Committee is back, with an extensive report that compiles both errors and deliberate suppression of the facts. That report shows that Trump was responsible for both “critical failures” and, in what should be the first step in a criminal indictment, "deliberate efforts to undermine the nation's coronavirus response for political purposes,"
Every politician is a position of power is called on to make decisions that can affect lives. Whether that represents a small number of soldiers being tasked with a risky mission, or funds being allocated to repair a bridge crossed by thousands of commuters each day, those decisions can have the most severe consequences.

In the course of events, the pushback against those in charge is generally limited to the political: Make a bad decision, and the threat is losing your seat in the next election. Forcing politicians to stand in front of a court for something they did in office—if that something was not an actual crime, like bribery or extortion—is a genuinely rare event. And it should be.
But what Trump did over the course of the COVID-19 pandemic goes beyond bad decision-making, or even the ugly politics of retribution. We’ve known since last year that Trump’s team repeatedly took actions, not to prevent infections, but to deliberately increase them. We already know that

• HHS political appointee Paul Alexander demanded that CDC stop publishing scientific reports he believed were damaging to Trump. CDC officials were then ordered to delete Alexander’s emails to cover up this attempt to quash vital public data.
  • Dr, Deborah Birx has confirmed that quack Dr. Scott Atlas was brought into the COVID-19 team specifically to reduce the level of testing across the nation, generating a false impression that case loads were falling.
The new report also shows that Trump’s team did with COVID-19 what they did with every other project while he was in charge: opened it up to corruption and “left the federal government vulnerable to fraud and profiteering.”

How Donald Trump managed the COVID-19 crisis wasn’t a litany of errors. It wasn’t even just a cascade of crimes. It was an attempted genocide, one in which Trump repeatedly took actions designed to cause more deaths out of a mistaken impression that those deaths would mostly affect urban areas in blue states. They didn’t just commit a crime against humanity, they knew it, because they devoted resources to trying to cover up that crime.

What Trump did leading up to Jan. 6 is unforgivable and deserves criminal prosecution. What he did in handling COVID-19 is far worse.

Last edited:

Ten Thousan Marbles

Feb 6, 2014
'Stop the Steal' organizer's testimony reveals clear links to sedition-minded House members
Aldous J Pennyfarthing

Criminals aren’t always the brightest bulbs on the marquee, but even the least savvy of these fiends do what they can to cover their tracks. The ambulatory TruckNutz who planned the Jan. 6 Capitol coup, on the other hand? They’re like if Jeff Dahmer showed up at the church basement potluck with a seven-layer salad, and one of the layers was just feet.

The latest agitator under the microscope is Ali Alexander, the founder of the Trumpian “Stop the Steal” movement and one of the key figures behind the Big Lie and its big holiday.

Even better? He remembers having “a few conversations” with Rep. Paul Gosar and a text exchange with Rep. Mo Brooks, two of Donald Trump’s lappiest lapdogs, prior to the events of Jan. 6. And he also spoke directly with Rep. Andy Biggs. Hmm. Lots of “upstanding” citizens were up to their goofy necks in this egregious shit, huh?

POLITICO:

Alexander’s testimony underscores the degree to which the select committee continues to probe the roles of their Republican colleagues in efforts to promote former President Donald Trump’s baseless claims of election fraud — and their potential support for fringe figures who helped gather people in Washington on Jan. 6, the day Congress was required to certify the 2020 election results.
The panel hasn’t formally requested testimony from any of the GOP lawmakers yet but has continued to ask witnesses about Gosar, Biggs, Brooks and Rep. Scott Perry (R-Pa.), who helped push a strategy to use the Department of Justice to promote the fraud claims.

I feel like the world has been turned on its head just a bit. Didn’t we used to hold elected members of Congress to higher standards than we do random dipshits who are trying to overthrow free and fair elections for funsies?

Alexander said in a since-deleted video that he worked with Gosar, Biggs and Brooks to attempt to use Congress’ Jan. 6 session certifying Biden’s victory as a chance to pressure lawmakers to overturn the electoral results.

In that video, by the way, Alexander stated that “we four schemed to put maximum pressure on Congress while they were voting.”

“Schemed.”

Jesus Donkey-Surfin’ Christ, why are these assholes still in Congress?

The fact that 147 members of Congress voted—in a highly undemocratic, deviant, and dangerous publicity stunt—to overturn a free and fair election is bad enough. But some of them apparently thought their efforts would yield their intended rotten fruit. That’s way beyond the pale. Forget about Congress. Why are they still walking free?.......

Last edited:

Ten Thousan Marbles

Feb 6, 2014
Capitol insurrectionist facing 11 COUNTS tries to get bail--and fails
Darrell Lucus

Some of the worst offenders in the Jan. 6 insurrection are finally having the bill come due for their misdeeds in and around the Capitol. On Friday, for instance, Robert Palmer, who assaulted several Capitol Police officers, was sentenced to five years in federal prison, the longest for an insurrectionist to date.

Well, it looks like one of these particularly bad actors didn’t get the memo. A former substitute teacher from the Pittsburgh suburbs actually had the guts to try to get out on bail pending trial even though he’s facing a whopping 11 counts related to his misdeeds in the Capitol. He got turned down cold, and is staying in jail pending trial.
Robert Morss of Glenshaw, north of Pittsburgh, was arrested in June and indicted on a host of charges including robbery, assaulting officers, obstructing an official proceeding, and civil disorder. In so doing, he more than likely torpedoed his career as a teacher. He’d been a substitute teacher in the Shaler Area School District since his graduation from Penn State in 2020. Before then, he’d been an Army Ranger and served three tours in Afghanistan.

According to an affidavit, Morss was part of the crowd that pushed its way through a fence line of police, then made an unsuccessful attempt to steal an officer’s baton. Later, prosecutors say he helped other “patriots” rip away a section of fence, then took a shield from another and led other thugs in forming a “shield wall” to push their way through a tunnel in the Capitol. He also accused officers of “betray(ing) your own people” and reminded them that “this is our Capitol” and “we are going to take our Capitol back.”

On Friday, he appeared before federal district judge Trevor McFadden, a Trump appointee, and lobbied for his release.

In a motion for release, he and his lawyers maintain that he has been subjected to poor treatment in jail and cited his military service, his lack of criminal record, a pending job in the Washington area and an offer of a place to live with a fellow veteran as reasons to let him go.

Hogwash, said federal prosecutor Melissa Jackson. She claimed that Morss was one of the ringleaders of the insurrection, and has shown no remorse for his actions—as evidenced by his own words.

Ms. Jackson also said Mr. Morss has shown no regrets, citing a speech he wrote that agents found on his iCloud account. The speech is undated, but Mr. Morss labeled it "should I have to appeal before a judge what I am gonna say."
In the speech, he wrote, "You ask if I regret my involvement and what happened on the sixth my answer is [a] resounding no."
He goes on to denounce Congress, saying, "that capitol building isn't a temple at all it's a theater where soothsayers and charlatans strip the American people of their rights. We don't need Trump anymore. The people across the political spectrum and from sea to shining sea have woken up to the long train of abuses that this twisted body of government has done."

This, Jackson said, proved that Morss was “a danger to the community at large” and to law enforcement—and was too dangerous to be allowed out of prison. McFadden agreed, and kept Morss in jail.

This is at least the second time that Morss’ own words have kept him locked up. In July, a judge noted that Morss appeared to have used his battlefield experience to become a “leader and instigator” in the insurrection. But most damningly, the judge noted that the FBI had searched Morss’ notebook and found a detailed plan to create a militia in his hometown.

Morss presently faces up to 48 years in prison if convicted on all charges, though federal sentencing guidelines call for five to seven years. But given that he used his military training, something tells me he could face substantial upward departure at sentencing—even if he has the good sense to plead guilty. Given that he actually thought he could get out on bail, it’s apparent he really doesn’t know or understand that he is in real trouble.

Ten Thousan Marbles

Feb 6, 2014

Kamala Harris Goes Biblical on Charlamagne Tha God After His Republican Spun Question
News Corpse

Democrats are having enough trouble with the media these days to have to bother with fielding Republican talking points from ordinarily friendly faces. President Biden's approval polling is inexplicably low considering the successes his administration has had, particularly with the economy and job growth. And yet, coverage of his administration in a recent study was shown to be more negative than it was for Donald Trump during his term in office.

Which makes the Fox News flavored framing of a question posed by Charlamagne Tha God to Vice-President Kamala Harris somewhat puzzling. In an interview for his Comedy Central program, Charlamagne hit Harris with a well-trod Republican insult intended to diminish Biden as weak and lacking leadership skills (video below). "Who is really the President," he asked. "Is it Joe Manchin or Joe Biden?"

This question has been circling the right-wing mediasphere for several weeks as Sen. Manchin has held up legislation that the rest of the Democrats in Congress support. What most observers forget is that those bills are also being opposed by all fifty Republicans in the Senate. So is Manchin's single vote really more responsible for the legislative logjam than the entire Republican Party that has been resolutely partisan on every issue, including those they support?

Sure, Manchin's vote could move the process forward if he weren't so stubborn and selfish. But so could the vote of a single Republican who had the courage to vote in the best interests of the American people, instead of the partisan craving for power by GOP operatives and the anointment of Dear Leader Trump.

Harris was noticeably taken aback by Charlamagne's question. But she wasn't flustered in her response. Without hesitation she replied...

Come on, Charlamagne. It's Joe Biden. And don't start talking like a Republican about asking whether or not he's president. It's Joe Biden. And I'm Vice-President. My name is Kamala Harris. And the reality is because we are in office we do the things like...

Whereupon Harris extemporaneously enumerated an array of accomplishments achieved by the Biden/Harris administration in less than a year that specifically address the issues that matter most to Charlamagne's audience.. They included...
  • The child tax credit which is gonna reduce black child poverty by 50 percent.
  • End choke holds and have body cameras.
  • Get lead out of pipes and paint because our babies are suffering because of that.
  • People who ride public transit deserve the same kind of dignity that anybody else does. So let's improve that system.
  • Bring down prescription drug costs because folks who have diabetes should not be dying because they don't have enough money in their pocket.
Black maternal mortality is a real issue that must be treated by everybody, including the White House, as a serious issue.By the time Harris finished her mini-rant she had won over her host. Which was evident in the finale of this segment that resulted in the following exchange:

Harris: I hear the frustration, but let's not deny the impact that we've had, and agree also that there is a whole lot more work to be done. And it is not easy to do. But we will not give up. And I will not give up.
C Tha God: I just want you to know that that Madame Vice President, that Kamala Harris, that's the one I like. That's the one that was putting the pressure on people in Senate hearings. That's the one I'd like to see more often out here in the street.

That's actually the Kamala Harris that has been there all along. But if you are falling for the media spin that Biden and Harris are failing because they haven't achieved everything they set out to do - with a razor thin majority in Congress - it may seem like their efforts have been ineffective.

What's ineffective is the media presentation of what is really happening in Washington. If the reporting was more reflective of the reality, Democrats wouldn't be trying to dig themselves out of manufactured political hole. And by this time next year Democrats would be looking at a bigger congressional majority with which they could get even more done.

Ten Thousan Marbles

Feb 6, 2014

Eric Trump says God made Daddy president in 2016, took a break in 2020, and will help again in 2024
Aldous J Pennyfarthing

I have a deep, visceral mistrust for anyone who says God is on their side. When has Providence ever sorted winners and losers like this? Didn’t we learn better from the bloody Crusades? Or centuries of ruinous sectarian violence? Or Tim Tebow’s NFL career?

Of course, these days we’re meant to believe that God is on the side of the vast majority of the people unnecessarily dying of COVID-19—because that’s what they keep claiming. Apparently, he’s calling them home to tell them to their faces that they’re ****ing dimwits.

So this kind of thing isn’t new. Not at all. And the idea that God picked Donald Trump for something other than beta-testing debilitating brain parasites is basically an article of faith among Republicans these days. But last weekend, during the latest leg of the conservative Reawaken America tour, Trump scion Eric outdid them all. (Yeah, I could have written this sooner, but I was trapped near the inner circle of thought.)

Watch:

So God made Trump president in 2016, took a breather in 2020, and will get back to it in 2024? I have a hard time believing that. In fact, after congressional Republicans refused to give the Trump impeachment evidence a fair look in late 2019, God almost immediately sent a plague. Sure looks to me like God wasn’t terribly keen on another four years. If he ever wins again, I fully expect hailstones the size of Louie Gohmert’s head.

Of course, you’ll also be shocked to learn that Eric is lying about the amount of money each candidate had at their disposal in 2016. Then again, if I checked every feverish Trump family statement for accuracy, my Googlin’ fingers would all look like ruddy Christmas hams by now. They don’t—yet—but give it another year. And the bit about Trump being the first candidate to ever kick in his own money for a campaign? I won’t even bother to check that one, because Jesus Christ, dude.

People who claim they know God’s motivations are almost always swindlers—at least in my experience. I mean, I can thank God for the $20 I found on the sidewalk—and if He actually arranged for me to find it there, yeah, that’s nice. But someone else lost it. Meanwhile, plenty of kids continue to get cancer for no discernible reason. Is God too busy to help them because He wants to put the most venal man on the planet back in charge of the most powerful nation in history?

Again, I have a bit of a hard time believing that. Unfortunately, the kinds of people Eric talk to these days will believe just about anything.

TrumpDress.jpg

Last edited:

Ten Thousan Marbles

Feb 6, 2014

Opinion: 3 retired generals: The military must prepare now for a 2024 insurrection​

As we approach the first anniversary of the deadly insurrection at the U.S. Capitol, we — all of us former senior military officials — are increasingly concerned about the aftermath of the 2024 presidential election and the potential for lethal chaos inside our military, which would put all Americans at severe risk.

In short: We are chilled to our bones at the thought of a coup succeeding next time.

One of our military’s strengths is that it draws from our diverse population. It is a collection of individuals, all with different beliefs and backgrounds. But without constant maintenance, the potential for a military breakdown mirroring societal or political breakdown is very real...........
The signs of potential turmoil in our armed forces are there. On Jan. 6, a disturbing number of veterans and active-duty members of the military took part in the attack on the Capitol. More than 1 in 10 of those charged in the attacks had a service record. A group of 124 retired military officials, under the name “Flag Officers 4 America,” released a letter echoing Donald Trump’s false attacks on the legitimacy of our elections.

Recently, and perhaps more worrying, Brig. Gen. Thomas Mancino, the commanding general of the Oklahoma National Guard, refused an order from President Biden mandating that all National Guard members be vaccinated against the coronavirus. Mancino claimed that while the Oklahoma Guard is not federally mobilized, his commander in chief is the Republican governor of the state, not the president.

The potential for a total breakdown of the chain of command along partisan lines — from the top of the chain to squad level — is significant should another insurrection occur. The idea of rogue units organizing among themselves to support the “rightful” commander in chief cannot be dismissed.......

Ten Thousan Marbles

Feb 6, 2014

......Republicans have gone out of their way to draw maps that empower rural, predominantly white regions. They do so at the cost of disenfranchising voters in the diverse urban and suburban areas that have seen an increase in population. Republicans have deployed several tactics, but the most egregious are those that purposefully diminish the voting power of the communities of color: “packing” and “cracking.”

Both tactics are anti-democratic, and diminish the voting power of communities of color either by reducing the number of representatives they’re able to elect or diluting their influence altogether. For example, in Ohio, Republicans packed Black and Latino communities in Cuyahoga County, which includes Cleveland, into just one district, purposefully reducing representation of these communities in Congress. Meanwhile, in the same county, Republicans also split apart Asian American and Pacific Islander communities into separate districts, diminishing their voting power. In Texas, despite the fact that 95% of the population growth over the last decade has come from communities of color, Gov. Greg Abbott and the Republican legislature put in place maps that will actually increase the number of majority-white districts and reduce the number of competitive districts in Texas to just one. They purposefully drew these maps to ensure that rural, white areas electorally overpower the vote of more diverse communities.

There is no legitimate justification for these actions. It’s evident that Republicans have no qualms about bending or breaking the rules for their own gain and these maps show that. Their actions speak loudly to their unwillingness to implement fair redistricting processes and create fair maps that accurately represent voters, and they must be stopped — in the courts and in the states. Given what we have seen elsewhere in the country, it is essential for Pennsylvanians to pay attention as the map-drawing process reaches the critical juncture of considering draft maps.......