ADVERTISEMENT

Real to Hawks

Listen to Willie today.

Psu never in sweepstakes...cael to Willie directly.

Mineo trolling of hawks up to epic status.

All the masks taken off by tHR posters could fill a Halloween parade
he wasn't trolling. he was just wrong. he's wrong about half the stuff he posts. worth keeping an eye on because he's right sometimes too, but let's not elevate him to master troller because he got duped or just made it up on the off chance he was right.

and the old cranks on HR complaining about transfers were always silly. cael bringing in transfers is doing his job. tom bringing in transfers is doing his job. as long as the process is handled with class, it's fine.

Nah, this is easy. Beginner's stuff.

You just say Henson was going to transfer before Real Woods was brought on board, maybe add something like "everyone on the inside knew this was coming" without adding any more detail or anything. Everyone nods their head in agreement and moves on.
giphy.gif

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
I finally did an evaluation of Beau's season and truthfully, it wasn't as bad as I might have made it sound.

Beau's final hit list at 149:
Cory Crooks (R16)
PJ Ogunsanya (R16)
Anthony Artalona (R12)
Kyle Parco (2x AA)

He had controversial losses to Mike Van Brill and Manzona Bryant but a controversial win against Michael Blockhus.

The only time he got outright overwhelmed were against the 1st, 2nd, 4th place finishers (Yianni, Lovett, Gomez)

I think the concern was if it was truly just a mental thing for him that'll break through by going down from 149 to 141. @CSauertiegPSU compared him to Micic at 141 where you just suddenly can't move your opponents around like you want (and are worried about getting caught underneath) and it changes your offensive style basically. Another comparison that has been made is Luke Pletcher at 141 his true freshman year.

I think people are overblowing Arnold liking Wyatt's Portal Tweet. Could just be supporting a friend making the next steps of his career?
^^^

lol this is HR level wishful thinking from some of you. look at gabe's twitter. he has 5 separate retweets of the real woods news.

these kids are friends. they hung out on their visits. he's just supporting his friend on his next venture.

you guys are fans of the king of "over-recruiting." you know that's the business and there's nothing wrong with it.

Reactions: McScoreley
^^^

lol this is HR level wishful thinking from some of you. look at gabe's twitter. he has 5 separate retweets of the real woods news.

these kids are friends. they hung out on their visits. he's just supporting his friend on his next venture.

you guys are fans of the king of "over-recruiting." you know that's the business and there's nothing wrong with it.
I'm probably as guilty of it as anyone (see above), but the whole "hypocrite-off" when anything happens in college wrestling among the fan bases is exhausting and annoying.

We all only want good things for our team. We all will twist ourselves into whatever pretzel is required to convince ourselves that the good thing our wrestler/coach/program did was for entirely noble and altruistic reasons.

At the end of the day, maybe we should just all settle on the following...
Wrestlers and coaches are going to do what it takes (within the rules) to win a match, pursue an opportunity or improve their program. This is a good thing and these wrestlers/coaches shouldn't be criticized for doing that.

Did any of Verk's teammates like his departure announcement? Was that awkward and funny?
IIRC, Verk didn't post anything about his departure. He graduated Penn State so he probably felt he just was moving on rather than "truly" portaling. Interesting move by Verk to transfer rather than sign with NLWC and get that guaranteed 100K Cael promised him during his recruitment.

Trading four years of Henson for two years of Woods, when those two years have very little chance of winning a team title, seems like very bad roster management to me.

I just don’t see many transfers this year for Penn State. You don’t trade four years of Howard, Van Ness, Facundo, and maybe Bartlett/Haines when you probably win the team title regardless this year. We can win the title and hopefully set up our next power group of two or three guys. First world problems.

Iowa should be setting up their roster for 2025 or so.

IIRC, Verk didn't post anything about his departure. He graduated Penn State so he probably felt he just was moving on rather than "truly" portaling. Interesting move by Verk to transfer rather than sign with NLWC and get that guaranteed 100K Cael promised him during his recruitment.
It's pinned on his tweeter page.

And at least Berge and Brooks liked it ... that's as far down the likes as I cared to scroll.

Oh I meant that he's portaling and looking around. He just went about the process and announced it when he was done.
What's the difference, in terms of using a college wrestler's departure to own the Hawks?

Not trying to argue with you. I agree completely with your original point, that this was just friends supporting him.

Folks here trying to own his friends for supporting him ... not how we would've handled it.

Trading four years of Henson for two years of Woods, when those two years have very little chance of winning a team title, seems like very bad roster management to me.

I just don’t see many transfers this year for Penn State. You don’t trade four years of Howard, Van Ness, Facundo, and maybe Bartlett/Haines when you probably win the team title regardless this year. We can win the title and hopefully set up our next power group of two or three guys. First world problems.

Iowa should be setting up their roster for 2025 or so.
Respectfully disagree. We did the same thing with Max Dean and he wasn't a sure thing at 197. Beard actually AA'ed also and was a slip up away from beating Myles Amine when he clearly had a bum knee. Maybe they thought Henson could squeeze to 133 (he did wrestle 61KG for Senior Trials) Either way, Woods is a sure thing at 141 and Henson CAN be a sure thing but he's far from it, still pretty deficient on bottom IIRC.

Granted, Michael Beard hasn't portaled yet so ....

Max Dean was 2nd in the country as a sophomore. He’s a different level than Woods at this point. Plus we were in a very tight team race. Over recruiting made sense there. If we were rebuilding, I would’ve probably said stick with Beard.

If Iowa had a legitimate chance of the team title Id agree with you. This feels like 2016-17 when we were murdering everybody and Iowa was loading up with all the Pennsylvania kids. You knew they’d be a threat the year after NickAl and Nolf graduated. That’s not the case this year.

Max Dean was 2nd in the country as a sophomore. He’s a different level than Woods at this point. Plus we were in a very tight team race. Over recruiting made sense there. If we were rebuilding, I would’ve probably said stick with Beard.

If Iowa had a legitimate chance of the team title Id agree with you. This feels like 2016-17 when we were murdering everybody and Iowa was loading up with all the Pennsylvania kids. You knew they’d be a threat the year after NickAl and Nolf graduated. That’s not the case this year.
That's true ... also I totally forget but Max Dean just called Cael himself and said he wants in, didn't want money, just wanted a spot and a chance to compete (even said it himself he wasn't sure he was going to start but wanted to be here) .... I don't think any Coach in their right mind says no to that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT