ADVERTISEMENT

Real to Hawks

A lot of Iowa fans were hoping Henson could cut down to 133 because he went 61KG for Freestyle. But the reality is making 61KG for one freestyle tournament is way easier than holding 133 for an entire season. The kid wrestled 145 in HS, even without much of a cut for that, dropping to 133 can't be comfortable. He is a 141 and doesn't want to sit any years.

Reactions: Flying_Tiger
A lot of Iowa fans were hoping Henson could cut down to 133 because he went 61KG for Freestyle. But the reality is making 61KG for one freestyle tournament is way easier than holding 133 for an entire season. The kid wrestled 145 in HS, even without much of a cut for that, dropping to 133 can't be comfortable. He is a 141 and doesn't want to sit any years.
My guess he was recruited not to sit he was the next best thing. I don't envy wrestling coaches when it comes to this stuff. I know it's about putting the best team out there but it has to be awkward selling to kids you recruit. Wonder what was said to Beard. He lucked out and will probably get a medical shirt and I'm thinking he starts this year or at least hope he starts for us this year

no. why would that matter anyway?
It really doesn't other than if he was just coming off an injury the post season would have been much tougher for him anyhow.
I thought he was banged up at the beginning to middle of the year.

It really doesn't other than if he was just coming off an injury the post season would have been much tougher for him anyhow.
I thought he was banged up at the beginning to middle of the year.
Didn’t he get hurt at the Scuffle?

Not enough matches for his base ELO to gain.
Fine me a post where he isn’t completely detailing the thread or challenging someone to an under the bridge wresting match. The guys a bit crazy. I wasn’t even aware of his existence until mid March. Man oh man, he came in guns blazing! Haha

My guess he was recruited not to sit he was the next best thing. I don't envy wrestling coaches when it comes to this stuff. I know it's about putting the best team out there but it has to be awkward selling to kids you recruit. Wonder what was said to Beard. He lucked out and will probably get a medical shirt and I'm thinking he starts this year or at least hope he starts for us this year
No kid is recruited to sit, I also doubt promises about starting spots are made. Simply that if you come here, get developed by us, that should coincide with you starting for 4 years and doing some big things in March.

Beard might have had a shot for a medical redshirt but he then wrestled the Nebraska dual. I'm also not sure the NCAA will grant a med shirt (even if eligible) that let's someone get a 5th NCAA when they wrestled in a free year tbh. I also think at some point enough is enough for Beard. He graduated HS in 2018. Greyshirted in 2019, Redshirted in 2020, Wrestled in 2021 but then it didn't count and now he'll ask for 2022 to not count either? I don't think he wants to still be wrestling in college when he's 28.

Reactions: Ski
No kid is recruited to sit, I also doubt promises about starting spots are made. Simply that if you come here, get developed by us, that should coincide with you starting for 4 years and doing some big things in March.

Beard might have had a shot for a medical redshirt but he then wrestled the Nebraska dual. I'm also not sure the NCAA will grant a med shirt (even if eligible) that let's someone get a 5th NCAA when they wrestled in a free year tbh. I also think at some point enough is enough for Beard. He graduated HS in 2018. Greyshirted in 2019, Redshirted in 2020, Wrestled in 2021 but then it didn't count and now he'll ask for 2022 to not count either? I don't think he wants to still be wrestling in college when he's 28.
There is a slew of SS eligible Hawks he could talk to. Well at least after their post season surgeries and rehabs are complete.

@mcpat

Sounds to me like NIL rules are supposed to be like Political Action Committee rules regarding communications: no coordination between NIL and coaches like no coordination between PAC and candidate.

Unlike applicable to coaches, I don't see how NIL sponsors could be prevented from making offers either before or after an athlete enters the portal.

Also, I don't know whether Real Woods initiated contact to potential NIL sponsors. It would seem "Success with Honor" could be contacted in such a way.

My guess is that a fanatic NIL sponsor would be knowledgeable of program needs and could make it generally known how they could be reached. Then any NIL might be arranged with informed speculation.

I do know that NILs cannot be performance based or conditioned on participation.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Reactions: mcpat
Henson doesn't realize it now but his future self with working shoulders and intact ligaments is very happy to have been recruited over.
Wouldn’t it be something if he ended up here and wrestled 133 after RBY was done? I know… if he could make 133 he prob would have stayed in Iowa, but that would be awesome.

Not only that but he can now choose a program that will teach him to wrestle and not simply push, shove and stare at an official pleading for a "stall call."
Anybody know his original list of schools he was interested in

I wouldn’t mind seeing ISU keep building.
They're actually in very good shape at 141/149 with Swiderski incoming (who beat Mendez 2x this year) and PA state finalist Cam Robinson coming off a good shirt year.

Of those 3 schools Nebraska makes the most sense if he wants to start right away. If he doesn't mind the risk of sitting for a year, he could compete with SR Mattin for Michigan 141.

My guess is that he ends up somewhere else altogether -- like Illinois or Rutger or Pitt -- not necessarily those specific schools, but a power conference mid-level school that needs someone with his talent.

Reactions: slushhead
They're actually in very good shape at 141/149 with Swiderski incoming (who beat Mendez 2x this year) and PA state finalist Cam Robinson coming off a good shirt year.

Of those 3 schools Nebraska makes the most sense if he wants to start right away. If he doesn't mind the risk of sitting for a year, he could compete with SR Mattin for Michigan 141.

My guess is that he ends up somewhere else altogether -- like Illinois or Rutger or Pitt -- not necessarily those specific schools, but a power conference mid-level school that needs someone with his talent.
My bad, not paying attention to who was next in line. Yuk to those other options, though. I’d like to see an ACC team pick him up.

Reactions: nitlion6
Wouldn’t it be something if he ended up here and wrestled 133 after RBY was done? I know… if he could make 133 he prob would have stayed in Iowa, but that would be awesome.
PSU will have a quality 133 after RBY leaves. Book It.

My bad, not paying attention to who was next in line. Yuk to those other options, though. I’d like to see an ACC team pick him up.
Maybe join his Waynesburg teammate Church at VT? I think Henson would beat out 141 starter Girardi. Then he'd move to 149 when Andonian graduates, which is also when Church would come off shirt (likely at 141).

Reactions: slushhead
Yea, once the Woods transfer was announced, they started playing toy soldiers with Henson and all of a sudden he was a 133 with Freestyle being evidence of this. Amazing how so many of them are not aware of the different weigh-in procedure. They like to self proclaim as the most knowledgable fan base but sometimes I think it's the complete opposite.

That's where I am also. I think Henson to ISU makes sense.
it's actually the one weight they don't need. i'd take swiderski over henson right now. mendez wasn't even competitive with him at the rudis event. i think he's legit. unless swiderski is a 149.

it's actually the one weight they don't need. i'd take swiderski over henson right now. mendez wasn't even competitive with him at the rudis event. i think he's legit. unless swiderski is a 149.
Swiderski is scary. He could be very special if he does things right.

IIRC, Verk didn't post anything about his departure. He graduated Penn State so he probably felt he just was moving on rather than "truly" portaling. Interesting move by Verk to transfer rather than sign with NLWC and get that guaranteed 100K Cael promised him during his recruitment.
I heard that offer was withdrawn due to lack of success? Not sure where I heard it. But if it was on the world wide webbie thing, it must be true

• Haha
Reactions: 82bordeaux
I personally Guarantee that Spencer will wrestle next year for the Hawkeyes. That almost certainly means without any ACLs. The best thing for Spencer's future International aspirations would be for him to have had both ACLs fixed right after nationals ( One at a Time from what I have read ) and sit out the year 2021 and come back strong in 2022 with an eye towards 2024. But Spencer is very much a team player and as much as we hate to admit it.....bleeds Hawkeyes. He will do what is best for his team and deal with his ACL issues afterwards. Book it Dano.

PSU will have a quality 133 after RBY leaves. Book It.
Book it, right.

Yea, once the Woods transfer was announced, they started playing toy soldiers with Henson and all of a sudden he was a 133 with Freestyle being evidence of this. Amazing how so many of them are not aware of the different weigh-in procedure. They like to self proclaim as the most knowledgable fan base but sometimes I think it's the complete opposite.
With the exception of stalling Iowa wrestling fans as a whole generally seem fairly knowledgeable about wrestling. The clowns that are HR, not so much.

Little d4 news regarding ISU

I'm hearing nate schone got the green light to start practicing again following acl surgery and injury he suffered in HS

Maybe one of the ISU guys can shed a little light on us on where he stands

Reactions: hlstone

Damn straight. DON'T RECRUIT OVER CRN ALUM CAM ROBINSON!!!

Little d4 news regarding ISU

I'm hearing nate schone got the green light to start practicing again following acl surgery and injury he suffered in HS

Maybe one of the ISU guys can shed a little light on us on where he stands
HR is kinda like Fettuccine Alfredo: 80 percent of the time it's never Cooked properly and tastes awful, but the 20 percent of the cooks who have the knowledge, are the best and most knowledgeable in the world.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT