ADVERTISEMENT

Question for Stillers fans

BostonNit

Mar 15, 2003
For those of you like me who are Stillers fans, are you more happy about the Stillers being 9-0, or more upset about the Nits being 0-4? I grew up during the Bradshaw/Harris/Greene/Ham/Lambert/Swann dynasty so will always be a Stillers fan. But man, watching the Nits lose the last 4 weeks is a kick in the teeth. My wife keeps telling me "At least the Steelers (she mispronounces it) are undefeated!" but, having lived and died PSU football since the early 80's, and now having my son have to deal with this his senior year at PSU is a bummer.

Reactions: PSUfiji
For those of you like me who are Stillers fans, are you more happy about the Stillers being 9-0, or more upset about the Nits being 0-4? I grew up during the Bradshaw/Harris/Greene/Ham/Lambert/Swann dynasty so will always be a Stillers fan. But man, watching the Nits lose the last 4 weeks is a kick in the teeth. My wife keeps telling me "At least the Steelers (she mispronounces it) are undefeated!" but man, having lived and died PSU football since the early 80's, and now having my son have to deal with this his senior year at PSU is a bummer.

Apples and oranges.

Apples happy that MY Stillers' are undefeated.

Oranges pissed that MY Nittany Lions can't even get out of their own way!

:) :eek: :)

Last edited:
For those of you like me who are Stillers fans, are you more happy about the Stillers being 9-0, or more upset about the Nits being 0-4? I grew up during the Bradshaw/Harris/Greene/Ham/Lambert/Swann dynasty so will always be a Stillers fan. But man, watching the Nits lose the last 4 weeks is a kick in the teeth. My wife keeps telling me "At least the Steelers (she mispronounces it) are undefeated!" but, having lived and died PSU football since the early 80's, and now having my son have to deal with this his senior year at PSU is a bummer.

Out of all my favorite teams, Steelers, Pens, Dodgers, Penn State winning is the most important.

I'll get upset about PSU when those in charge show that they care.

Not until then.

But for that to happen, Sandy Barbour and Barron, a long with the BOT need to be replaced by real men.

• Love
Reactions: Ski
Pleasantly surprised with the Steelers. Now that they shown they’re “good” with the wildly improved WRs corp and secondary play I just care that they win the division for playoff seeding.

More disappointed with how Penn State looks, 0-4 is really ridiculous and there are no excuses.

Glad the Steelers are doing well, depressed but hopeful things can still turn around this season. We are so short on running backs so play the young guys. Too bad Slade left he could've been of some help. That was not a good move for him since Old Doms conference cancelled the season. obviously it is a recruiting need for next year. I think the whole covid thing threw us off worse than other teams since we seem to be a slow starting team every year and need the OOC games to warm up. Levis looked pretty good in the second half. The overall loss of Parsons, Hamler, Brown combined with a new OC were too much to absorb. To come up empty in the red zone with a future NFL TE and predictable play calling was painful to watch. Praying the coaching staff learns from their mistakes or Iowa is going to take us to the woodshed.

I felt I was blessed growing up in Pittsburgh during a magical time in sports history... I got to witness the Steelers rise from 39 years of mediocrity to become one of the most domineering teams in the NFL. At the same time, being the son of a Penn State Engineering Grad, I enjoyed the start of a family Fall Saturday tradition where my mother would make a cauldron of either kielbasa/Italian sausage or meatballs on the stove for us to make our own sammiches on Stagno's bread and listen to "it's a pitch to Mitch" on the kitchen table radio...

How fortunate that every Fall afterwards, it seemed at least one of the football teams would be playing well - even though they also seemed to mirror the same short-comings yearly. At this waning point in life and living out of state, its become difficult to keep up with the inevitable seasonal roster changes through the years for both team, even though the passion for each team remains.

BUT, to answer the op's question, even though at times the Steelers have disappointed me... they NEVER made me embarrassed to say that I was one of their fans and have to defend my conviction... forever tarnishing memories and tradition.

As a Steeler fan, although not as much as I used to be, Its always been PSU over The Steelers for me.

I care more about PSU football, but I will say the NFL is the only sports league that feels "real" to me this year. College football is just such a mess with no consistency between conferences and the Big10 is especially awful with the empty stadiums, terrible production value of the broadcasts, and teams that will likely finish the season having played 5 or 6 games.

So, if there was ever a year for the Steelers to be undefeated and PSU to be winless, this is it.

Since 2011, when the university shafted its greatest representative and tried to destroy its premier program, I no longer live and die by the football team's record. I am much more excited about the Steelers' 9-0, but I am also very aware that 3 or 4 of those games were narrowly avoided losses. I'll take the W's though!

Reactions: KanePoster
I'm just wondering why I can't have both PSU and the Steelers having success.

Years ago when my kids were all young I had to choose which team to put my time into. I chose Penn State. That said, I had no excitement or expectations for this season. I watched the first game (while drinking beer, thus reducing my focus and easing the sting) and have watched a drive here and there of the last three games before deleting them off of my DVR. It’s weird for me to say, but I really just don’t care about this season. So all that said, I am happier about the Steelers season this far.

Reactions: TheGLOV and PSUfiji
I would much rather see PSU win than the Steelers. The refreshing thing about watching them this year though is the qb play and so many good receivers that someone always seems to get open. The announcer mentioned yesterday how they always have someone underneath if they need to unload quickly. It makes me wish my favorite team could figure this out.

I always want PSU to perform at the highest level more than any of my professional teams but this season I’m fine with it. At least the NFL season has been normal from start to finish. This year will always have an asterisk next to it in college with next to no one playing non cons or having spring ball. Even if PSU was undefeated right now it wouldn’t feel the same with empty beaver stadium, no white out, no drum major flip, no tailgating. If there was any year to completely fall flat this is the year to do it.

Last edited:
Thought about this... on Saturday I care more about Penn State. Sunday- Stillers. Not being flippant, I think I gave up on college football this year with all the delays, shortened season, etc. just had difficulty getting into it. Next year? Hope they have their act together and may have a much different answer

Reactions: Connorpozlee
If the Stillers lose 4 games, its a great season, so there isn't as much on the line.

Not to jinx it, but I look at the back end of the Steelers' schedule and remember the 1986 Jets starting 10-0 and taking an 0-fer for the rest of the season. I know, bite my tongue. Oh, and knock on wood. ;)

Reactions: TheGLOV and PSUfiji
I am more interested in PSU so it hurts more to see them 0-4 then the celebration of the Stillers being 9-0. As this season wears on though, PSU is losing relevancy and it is getting more and more exciting on the Stillers front with the playoffs approaching.

Reactions: Ski
I'm kind of upset about PSU, but not that much since playoff hopes were gone right away. Parsons opted out, we got kind of a bad deal with the schedule then we lost Journey Brown and Noah Cain. We also had to break in a new offensive coordinator with no spring ball. I hope we win some games, but the main thing at this point is to see improvement heading into next year, which hopefully will be more normal. The main disappointment to me other than the news that Journey won't play again was how bad we looked against Maryland.

I'm excited about the Steelers, but I'm trying to temper it. I realize the schedule hasn't been the toughest because of last year's record. The running game has me worried and the defense has given up yardage against the run at times. KC doesn't seem to have taken any steps back from last year and will be tough.

But I expected the Steelers to be pretty good if Ben was anything close to his pre-surgery form, and he's looking great. The defense feels like a championship defense to me - they make big plays when the game is on the line. I think number 7 is a real possibility.

If the Steelers were sucking too I'd be in a bad place right now. Nice to have at least one team doing well.

Reactions: PSUfiji and 81b&w
Not to jinx it, but I look at the back end of the Steelers' schedule and remember the 1986 Jets starting 10-0 and taking an 0-fer for the rest of the season. I know, bite my tongue. Oh, and knock on wood. ;)
I think there's a better chance of 16-0 than that happening.

Reactions: TheGLOV and Ski

Looks like I was off by 1 game. The Steelers were the worst 11-0 team in NFL history. They will be gone in the first round of the playoffs.

Losing Bud Dupree REALLY, REALLY hurt the Steelers. The guy was playing some incredible football before he got injured.

Steelers fans are a bit spoiled, IMHO. I'm somewhat surprised that the "Fire Tomlin" stuff has not re-surfaced, now that the Steelers have lost a few. (No way that was feasible when they were 9-0.)

Losing Bud Dupree REALLY, REALLY hurt the Steelers. The guy was playing some incredible football before he got injured.

Steelers fans are a bit spoiled, IMHO. I'm somewhat surprised that the "Fire Tomlin" stuff has not re-surfaced, now that the Steelers have lost a few. (No way that was feasible when they were 9-0.)
Ben looks like he has really aged the last few weeks. Doesn’t look like the same guy out there. When you get to that age as a QB things can bad quick.

Reactions: PSUfiji and BBrown
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT