ADVERTISEMENT

PSU WLAX vs. tOSU on BTN at 4 EDT 2Day

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
Ohio State is ranked #18 in the weekly poll, and ranked #31 in LAX Power's computer rankings.

PSU is ranked #8 in the weekly poll, and ranked #11 in LAX Power's computer rankings.

The game is in Columbus.

Go Lady LAXers

Emi Smith saves the first three shots from Ohio State. PSU's D looks good. As is the norm, PSU's Ally Heavens is marking Ohio State's best offensive player, #14, Dabroski, though as I key this in Dabroski scores on a great shot to tie it up, 1-1.

Ohio State with the 2nd goal to take a 2-1 lead.

I know one of the refs, and she's excellent on calls, so that helps.

Had a phone call, which interrupted my commentary.

PSU is having trouble on the draws.

PSU scores off of a free position to tie it at 4-4

Tom, GameTracker on gopsusports.com shows Penn State ranked #9 and Tosu ranked #12. Tosu is 10-1, while Penn State is 9-2.

Tosu just went ahead, 5-4.

What a difference a week makes.

Last week, PSU had probably their best game of the season against Rutgers. They were clicking on all cylinders.

tOSU is better than Rutgers, and pretty even with PSU, so i expected this game to be more competitive.

That said, PSU has 6 TOs to Ohio State's 2 with 7:30 left in the 1st half, and at 6:29 left a 7-5 lead.

What a difference a week makes.

Last week, PSU had probably their best game of the season against Rutgers. They were clicking on all cylinders.

tOSU is better than Rutgers, and pretty even with PSU, so i expected this game to be more competitive.

That said, PSU has 6 TOs to Ohio State's 2 with 7:30 left in the 1st half, and at 6:29 left a 7-5 lead.

8-5 now. Not looking good.

Tom, GameTracker on gopsusports.com shows Penn State ranked #9 and Tosu ranked #12.

GameTracker is not run by GoPSUsports. I'm not sure which poll they are using (and there are several). The one I used is the one most frequently cited.

FWIW, GoPSUsports.com posted a preview article about the game on Thursday, and they had PSU ranked #8 and tOSU ranked #18.

GameTracker is not run by GoPSUsports. I'm not sure which poll they are using (and there are several). The one I used is the one most frequently cited.

FWIW, GoPSUsports.com posted a preview article about the game on Thursday, and they had PSU ranked #8 and tOSU ranked #18.

Thanks, Tom. I found the GameTracker link on gopsusports.com.

Tosu up at the half, 9-5. :(

Damn, Ohio State gets a goal just before the horn, and takes a 9-5 lead at the break.

PSU was down a player on the goal, due to a yellow card to ?? (I think it was Steph Lazlo). Still, PSU's D fell apart on the goal, and allowed the Ohio State player to be uncovered right in front of the net.

Still plenty of time for PSU to come back, but they'll start off the half down a player. They need to improve their draw controls, show more patience on O, and do a better job on D (gee, just a few things). They've gotten burnt a few times in that Ally Heavens, who is their most versatile player, is on O when PSU is on the attack, and then if their shot is blocked or they turn it over, she can't get back to Dabowski in time if Ohio State quickly sends the ball upfield.

PSU did not improve at all in the beginning of the 2nd half.

PSU is now trying to claw its way back, and just scored off of a free position to trail 10-13, with 16:38 left.

tOSU called a timeout after the PSU goal.

PSU on a 4-goal run, to go from being down 7-13 to down 11-13.

Momentum is suddenly on PSU's side, as they are winning draws, playing good D, and getting good movement on O.

Ohio State called another TO after the PSU goal.

14:12 left in the game.

Ohio State wins the ensuing draw, and after working it around a good bit, they score, making it 11-14, with 13:15 left. PSU's D got lazy on the play.

after a series of turnovers, PSU answers, and it's 12-14, with 9:46 left. Madison Cyr with a big goal for PSU.

then Ohio State answers on a nice goal, to take a 12-15 lead, with 8:46 left. Ohio State had won that draw. PSU is going to need to win draws, and then score to win this game.

Alas, Ohio State won the draw after the goal. They are playing keep away (women's LAX doesn't have a shot clock -- they will have one next year), so PSU is going to have to get a turnover.

After a foul by PSU, it appears that PSU took a TO.

Ugh, PSU got a yellow card and thus was down a player. Ohio State ran a lot of time off, and then scored when PSU was back to full strength. 12-16, with 3:45 left.

And once again, Ohio State wins the draw.

PSU will need some luck to win this game.

I knew this would be a tough match, but I expected PSU to win. They were beaten in all aspects of the game.

Then off of a turnover, PSU scores, to make it 13-16 with 1:56 left. Got to win this draw to have any chance.

And Ohio State wins the draw.

But then they turn it over, and PSU gets fouled in the critical scoring area. PSU with a free position with 1:24 left, but Cyr's shot is blocked. Ohio State turns it over, but then PSU turns it over trying to set up a shot. 1 minute left, this is over.

Frustrating

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT