ADVERTISEMENT

PSU now on WPHT 1210! 50K watts in Philly!

You know, they have this thing called television. It's really great.

041113_Predicta%20TV_burlingame-radio.jpg

:eek:

In the words of British journalist C. P. Scott:

"Television? The word is half Greek, half Latin. No good can come of it."

Reactions: LionJim
We could use an upgrade in Pittsburgh. WPIT (730 am) isn't terrible, 5,000 watts during the day but only 24 watts at night. Transmitter is in Millvale so those of us in the near north hills can pick it up but it's iffy anywhere else.

Reactions: nits74
We could use an upgrade in Pittsburgh. WPIT (730 am) isn't terrible, 5,000 watts during the day but only 24 watts at night. Transmitter is in Millvale so those of us in the near north hills can pick it up but it's iffy anywhere else.
They just need to find an FM station. I’m sorry, but the fact that I live in the second biggest city in the state in 2019 and I can’t listen to Penn State games in the car without fighting through a buzzy AM signal is absurd.

They just need to find an FM station. I’m sorry, but the fact that I live in the second biggest city in the state in 2019 and I can’t listen to Penn State games in the car without fighting through a buzzy AM signal is absurd.
I think that they are on a Pittsburgh FM station, albeit one with a weak signal. I don't know what the call letters are, but I have listened to both the football and hoops games on it in recent seasons. I just move the dial until I pick up the game.

However, you're right. PSU games used to be on KDKA. There's enough PSU fan interest in Western PA to be able to get the games on one of the stronger FM stations.

We can probably pick up WPHT better than some of our WPA choices. I know we have online listening opportunities and Sirius but I have older sports car I drive on weekends and it’s maddening to lose the signal.

I think that they are on a Pittsburgh FM station, albeit one with a weak signal. I don't know what the call letters are, but I have listened to both the football and hoops games on it in recent seasons. I just move the dial until I pick up the game.

However, you're right. PSU games used to be on KDKA. There's enough PSU fan interest in Western PA to be able to get the games on one of the stronger FM stations.
You're right, I forgot -- they can be heard on WPIT-FM, 96.5 FM. I'm not certain that all of the games are on there, but some are. The PSU sports network only lists the AM but I'm certain that I've heard them on the FM.

I do have XM and listen to the games there as well, but I think (someone can correct me if I'm wrong here) they broadcast the home team's broadcast. That'll do in a pinch but I prefer to listen to the PSU broadcast when possible.

That's the burden of having active kids who can't yet drive -- I spend a lot of Saturdays in the car.

That is probably the FM translator for WPIT. Pretty erratic signal. It's ridiculous that Penn State can't do any better than a weak christian broadcast station to carry its games. There are also several Entercom stations in Pittsburgh. What are you doing, Sandy?

Last edited:
That is probably the FM translator for WPIT. Pretty erratic signal. It's ridiculous that Penn State can't do any better than a weak christian broadcast station to carry their games. There are also several Entercom stations in Pittsburgh. What are you doing, Sandy?

Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on how one looks at it, it's not in Barbour's hands. That's what happens when broadcast rights are sold to a third-party.

That is probably the FM translator for WPIT. Pretty erratic signal. It's ridiculous that Penn State can't do any better than a weak christian broadcast station to carry their games. There are also several Entercom stations in Pittsburgh. What are you doing, Sandy?
Careful or she will hire a Vice Pres for Radio Broadcasting

Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on how one looks at it, it's not in Barbour's hands. That's what happens when broadcast rights are sold to a third-party.
Forgot to consider the Learfield connection. Another issue may be that Entercom already has ties to Pitt via KDKA FM. Could be that its contract with Pitt precludes Entercom from carrying Penn State sports on any of its other stations here.

That is ridiculous

Previous poster was correct too. Depending where you were in the Philly area, picking up a game was tough. Weak signals from Easton/Allentown was the best we could get

Sports on radio have that added little something, I love it

---
If the BBall team does well maybe they will get a following and help recruiting in Philly.

How is the broadcast? Are the announcers and play-by-play people good? Do they make it exciting?

Steve Jones does the announcing just like he does for football. Philly legend Dick Jerardi is the color guy and you would be hard-pressed to find anyone better.

Reactions: Nitwit
Tom, wasn’t PSU on 1210 years ago? If my memory is still functioning, didn’t Fitz Dixon, he who bankrolled Temple, bring influences to push PSU off 1210 and on to a less powerful station?

---
If the BBall team does well maybe they will get a following and help recruiting in Philly.

How is the broadcast? Are the announcers and play-by-play people good? Do they make it exciting?
Kids these days barely know what a radio is. This will have absolutely no impact on recruiting.

Now that IMG and Learfield Sports merged they almost have a monopoly on the rights. Michigan State and Maryland are the only two B1G schools who they don't have.

Tom, wasn’t PSU on 1210 years ago? If my memory is still functioning, didn’t Fitz Dixon, he who bankrolled Temple, bring influences to push PSU off 1210 and on to a less powerful station?

I think 1210 carried it at one point, but I've kind of lost track over the years, as radio outlets in Philadelphia for PSU football bounced around so much. It was on 610 (WIP) for part or all of the 90s. It switched to 560 (WFIL) in 2000. At some point it switched to 990 (the former WIBG -- forget what it's now), and now it's switching to 1210 (the former WCAU, and now WPHT).

I know PSU has been really frustrated with the coverage in the Philadelphia area for some time. A former AD once told me that one of the things he was working hardest on was to improve the radio coverage in the Philadelphia area.

Hopefully, it will work out for PSU and for WPHT. It's a 50,000 watt station that doesn't have any type of limitations in terms of day/night or direction, which is as good as it gets for AM broadcasts. Fans that, for whatever reason, are forced to be driving in SE PA during games, will have a dependable station that is easy to find, and a signal that doesn't disappear in valleys or more than 30 miles from the broadcast tower.

I think 1210 carried it at one point, but I've kind of lost track over the years, as radio outlets in Philadelphia for PSU football bounced around so much. It was on 610 (WIP) for part or all of the 90s. It switched to 560 (WFIL) in 2000. At some point it switched to 990 (the former WIBG -- forget what it's now), and now it's switching to 1210 (the former WCAU, and now WPHT).

I know PSU has been really frustrated with the coverage in the Philadelphia area for some time. A former AD once told me that one of the things he was working hardest on was to improve the radio coverage in the Philadelphia area.

Hopefully, it will work out for PSU and for WPHT. It's a 50,000 watt station that doesn't have any type of limitations in terms of day/night or direction, which is as good as it gets for AM broadcasts. Fans that, for whatever reason, are forced to be driving in SE PA during games, will have a dependable station that is easy to find, and a signal that doesn't disappear in valleys or more than 30 miles from the broadcast tower.
And for those of us in Pittsburgh that may be driving at night, we will now have a shot at listening since Penn State is on yet another inconsequential weak Pittsburgh outlet. It is a disgrace.

More likely it was when Penn State went with an all or nothing stance. For years they would do basketball and football separately. Then they decided to help basketball by packaging them together. They lost a lot of affiliates who simply weren't interested in both.

More likely it was when Penn State went with an all or nothing stance. For years they would do basketball and football separately. Then they decided to help basketball by packaging them together. They lost a lot of affiliates who simply weren't interested in both.
Same thing happened with KDKA in Pittsburgh. This is probably what still keeps them on sh#t stations here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT