ADVERTISEMENT

Match Thread PSU @ Iowa in-match discussion thread

Thus far… our two true freshman no one expected to be in the starting lineup lost close matches to ranked Iowa wrestlers at CHA and we’ve otherwise dominated. Two bonus point runs over ranked guys and a solid run over the returning finalist giving up no offensive points.

Was hoping to take one of 125 or 149, but all good.
I thought they'd win one of 125 and 149 but didn't think they'd get one at 141 so it's a net positive for me. Kasak and Davis will be better against those guys next time. He couldn't figure out Ayala like RBY couldn't figure out DeSanto but once he did he never looked back.

Franek did zero on bottom except flop around on his belly or curl-up on his knees.... should have been called for several more than the two stalling calls he received. Than was completely bailed out by Ref right when Haines was locking up near side cradle with head buried in his side.

• Love
Reactions: Zukovski and Ski
I think MM might break him. Caliendo isn’t going to be able to maintain this pace

Reactions: mcpat
i had mesenbrink obv but i really thought caliendo would throw some stuff at him and make it entertaining. yeesh

Reactions: mcpat
Looks like JMadden is way wrong regarding PSU and Iowa wrestlers at both 157 and 165 - go figure. PSU wrestlers look like Finalist.... Squawkeyes look... well, not so much.

Reactions: ccdiver
this is a fun rematch because one of starocci’s first big wins in high school was upsetting Kennedy at cadet trials (before getting upset himself by Abe “Giant Slayer” Assad)

How cold has it been in Iowa recently? Asking since it's going to get quiet enough to hear crickets really soon. Better chance there's 1 or 2 in Carver if it's been warm.

Iowa fan on TheMat:

“I don't know what you can do about it, but that defense where Mesenbrink puts his own knee in danger. I think, judging by how that whole match played out, Caliendo could win a rematch. I think guys are freaked out by the pace, but Caliendo didn't melt and was attacking in the third. Not saying I'd predict it.”

Chuckle

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT