ADVERTISEMENT

PSU asst coaches pay

blion72

Jan 1, 2010
is it fact or perception that we have an issue with low pay for asst FB coaches at PSU? I thought we had the coordinator pay increased back when Shoop was DC and Moorehead was OC. was this a rising tide lifts all ships - so all the coaches got some bumps or was it just OC/DC? anyone know how we benchmark with pay? are we competitive with the BIG rivals?

Can't answer but I would ask, rhetorically or not, what coaches do we feel must receive a significant increase that goes beyond the PSU salary scale? In the Franklin era it would appear the only coach who fit into that category may have been Gattis, but IIRC didn't he get the title of asst HC or asst OC at Bama, or something that was a bit higher than his title at PSU? I would hope salary would be based on performance, i.e., a Pry or a Moorhead should be very well compensated in comparison to their peers while others should be middle of the pack in comparison to their peers.

I don't know what they make now, but I'd give a few coaches raises if it meant keeping them from leaving - Spencer, Smith, Seider, and Tim Banks. The rest of them, especially offensively, I'm kind of "meh" on.

Reactions: BBrown
I don't know what they make now, but I'd give a few coaches raises if it meant keeping them from leaving - Spencer, Smith, Seider, and Tim Banks. The rest of them, especially offensively, I'm kind of "meh" on.

we seem to have some good recruiters who are not experienced as position coaches. the staff as a whole get pretty good marks for recruiting.

Gettis was a loss for sure. did he leave for more $$$ or better title or both? I dont recall his title on our staff.

looking at the pay scale for OHIO state listed during their latest scandal it appears a tiered flow down system from the OC and DC was used with the wife beater on the bottem rung. The larger the $ number at the top, the better the middle and lower $ pay amounts are. Assistants have to follow the money.

USA Today did a story on assistant coach salaries sometime in 2017 and they had all of our assistants listed as unknown. Does seem to be a state secret .

USA Today did a story on assistant coach salaries sometime in 2017 and they had all of our assistants listed as unknown. Does seem to be a state secret .

PSU doesn't release comp details for anyone but the head football coach. Part of the ongoing debate that goes back quite a ways as to whether any PSU comp data is public information.

It's a bullshit question. In economic terms, coaches are differentiated products i.e. some are better than others. The better ones command more dough. Doesn't mean that some guys don't get paid too much. After all, the decision makers here are head football coaches and athletic directors.

Reactions: mn78psu83

Someone get the Penn Live pukes on this. I mean they spent 3 years trying to get Joe's salary.:rolleyes:

we seem to have some good recruiters who are not experienced as position coaches. the staff as a whole get pretty good marks for recruiting.

Gettis was a loss for sure. did he leave for more $$$ or better title or both? I dont recall his title on our staff.
If I was reading between the lines, I'd say that Gattis felt he should have been the next OC over Rahne, and left the program when he got passed over. It may have been one of Franklin's worst moves.

Reactions: BBrown
If I was reading between the lines, I'd say that Gattis felt he should have been the next OC over Rahne, and left the program when he got passed over. It may have been one of Franklin's worst moves.
I agree. I think he felt he deserved the job and given Rahnes age didn’t see it at PSU

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT