ADVERTISEMENT

Portal Season Thread

TheWizardofCamelot

Apr 28, 2017
Things are going to start heating up this week and next - who’s coming, who’s going?

Sounds like Texas A&M WR Cottrell is being pursued by PSU, but he’ll be a hot commodity. I’d imagine we look to bring in 2-3 WRs this off-season.

Do we look at DL? An extra CB with the turnover we’ll have?

Sounds like Singleton is going to flirt with the portal. Not sure what his stock looks like after this year, but was he misused?

I could see literally every one of our WRs considering the portal, to be honest.

Every year there is attrition in the DB room, but I’m not sure whom this year.

If Manny leaves, could see a significant exodus on defense.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Things are going to start heating up this week and next - who’s coming, who’s going?

Sounds like Texas A&M WR Cottrell is being pursued by PSU, but he’ll be a hot commodity. I’d imagine we look to bring in 2-3 WRs this off-season.

Sounds like Singleton is going to flirt with the portal. Not sure what his stock looks like after this year, but was he misused?

I could see literally every one of our WRs considering the portal, to be honest.

I’m fine with singleton leaving. Allen, Montgomery, freshmen and a portal rb.

With the top 3 CB's leaving I don't see another CB leaving. Maybe a safety such as Flowers who hasn't cracked the 2 deep and might not be able to move into it when Ellis leaves as the 2023 Safety's will be looking to compete for that spot as well.

The only positions that are not Portal posibilites (never say never) seem to be Safety and LB, and likely TE if the freshman TE's are developing. Depending on what the staff sees in the redshirting DE's, DE may be not be in the mix if Vanover, Fisher stay and join DDS, Lyons and the other young guys.

Priorities for Portal:
1. WR (2 or 3) As you said, probably will lose 2+ WR's to the Portal.
2. CB (losing top 3 CB's but the staff has done a good job getting Miller, Tracy and Washington ready)
3. DT (help is on the way in the 2024 class but an experienced 1 tech DT should be welcomed)
3. OL (I blelieve someone documented 7 olinemen could be leaving)

Last edited:
Yep, Allen could be a workhorse. Plus the 2 2023 RB's and the two true freshman, including Martin that is coming to play, not sit.

Same...I think it would be best for all involved.
I'm also fine with Allar leaving (hopefully not for another Big Ten team) unless we're willing to build an offense around him

Reactions: hoflane

Are we going to make excuses again for our awful performance in the portal? "didn't have the money" for Prather? Another ivy league o linemen for another liability?

Blow up the receivers room. Evans and Saunders can stay. Cephas can go to Robert Morris where maybe he can learn the playbook. KLS can take his cancer somewhere else. Clifford can go to the Mac where he belongs. Same with McClain.

• Wow
Reactions: dswartz
Convincing WRs to transfer to PSU could be a tough sell. Whether you want to blame the coaching, the offense or the QB, Penn State’s wide receivers were mostly irrelevant this season and certainly didn’t improve from start to finish. Is PSU where you want to go if you are an WR looking to improve your situation?

Blow up the receivers room. Evans and Saunders can stay. Cephas can go to Robert Morris where maybe he can learn the playbook. KLS can take his cancer somewhere else. Clifford can go to the Mac where he belongs. Same with McClain.
McClain is a head scratcher. Thought he would be a great addition with his size but he appears to be half asleep when on the field. Lesser teams with WR's of his measurables are flying all over the field, out hustling DB's for the ball, using size as their advantage. Not this guy.

We need two talented WR's and an ass kicking DT. Good luck trying to have them come to PSU. For some reason, our DT recruiting, and WR have really tailed off the last several years.

With a sizable recruiting class coming in plus any expected portal imports, a significant number of players must be purged from the current roster. Anyone taking the portal out will likely opt out of the bowl game.
It would not be surprising if several of the teams ranked 5-15 look significantly different for their bowl games than they look today.

Convincing WRs to transfer to PSU could be a tough sell. Whether you want to blame the coaching, the offense or the QB, Penn State’s wide receivers were mostly irrelevant this season and certainly didn’t improve from start to finish. Is PSU where you want to go if you are an WR looking to improve your situation?

It was a tough sell last year. I still think we take 2-4.

It may not be too terribly impossible to sway a couple deep threats. Allar has a cannon and I'm sure they could be convinced they are the missing piece that will open up the offense. I guess we will see soon enough anyway.

Reactions: bison13
Talk is cheap if I’m looking for a new team to join as a WR.
How many deep completions did Allar have this season?
How many deep shots did he even take?
Did the PSU receivers improve during the season?
Did the offense feature the WRs?
Who is going to be the OC? And what will his offense look like?
Penn State is currently not an ideal landing spot for a WR looking for a better place to play.

Reactions: RickinDayton
Penn State is currently not an ideal landing spot for a WR looking for a better place to play.
I don't disagree, but we've all seen that our WR's couldn't get separation. The question is, was that more on the receivers, OC, or Allar not throwing them open? I still believe a case could be made to a nice WR...

It would be nice to pick-up a good tall 50/50 type like Godwin too.

I don't disagree, but we've all seen that our WR's couldn't get separation. The question is, was that more on the receivers, OC, or Allar not throwing them open? I still believe a case could be made to a nice WR...

It would be nice to pick-up a good tall 50/50 type like Godwin too.
I absolutely hope you are right.
In fact, I hope you are right multiple times.

They can't play much worse. McClain dropped everything thrown his way. Cephas didn't learn the playbook until week 9. Outside of them never seeing the field, they can't be worse.
McClain also can’t tell who to block, coming form the 3 spot in the T on 1 and goal from the 3 vs Mich. Ran right in front of Allen and let the Michigan tackler go right behind him to block a defender in the end zone.

The chance to be the #1 receiver on a team that won 10+ games in back to back seasons…yeah, that would be a tough one to sell.

Maybe the new coordinator can bring a WR or two from their current school.

Outside of WR, do we need any difference makers? Or just depth pieces? CB, DL, OL

Reactions: JoeLion

Outside of WR, do we need any difference makers? Or just depth pieces? CB, DL, OL

Ideally we need at least one high end cornerback from the portal, otherwise we are going to be vastly inexperienced at that spot with an influx of west coast passing teams coming on the schedule.

DT would be huge. DE should sell itself if one is available to bring in.

OL is always welcome. WR is a definite 2-4.

Believe you have to cherry pick as well. Get the best out there who are willing to come. Improve your starters and your depth.

Reactions: LandoComando
Ideally we need at least one high end cornerback from the portal, otherwise we are going to be vastly inexperienced at that spot with an influx of west coast passing teams coming on the schedule.

Believe you have to cherry pick as well. Get the best out there who are willing to come. Improve your starters and your depth.
This x100
The portal isn't just about filling gaps but finding better players than what you have
If anyone in the portal can help the team the coach has an obligation to do what they can to do them

Reactions: lazydave841
Look, I hate to say this but cut ties with Cephas right now. He can't learn the playbook this year and a whole new playbook is coming in February so how in the hell is he learning that one of he can't learn this one.

Like I said blow it up and start over and keep maybe 4 or 5 of the ones with potential.

cut ties with Cephas right now. He can't learn the playbook this year and a whole new playbook is coming in February

Truth be told, Cephas is probably the safe bet of a player to retain. He only has 1 year left to play (and that's if he uses it) and he started to play better towards the end of the year.

Any player who we didn't see over the past 2 weeks at WR, those are the ones I expect to portal out.

Truth be told, Cephas is probably the safe bet of a player to retain. He only has 1 year left to play (and that's if he uses it) and he started to play better towards the end of the year.

Any player who we didn't see over the past 2 weeks at WR, those are the ones I expect to portal out.
I don't see the sense of retaining a guy who can't learn a playbook. Let him go over to Duquesne or St Francis where they run about 10 plays so he can put a tape together for the show: It's pointless for both the program and for Cephas himself to stay.

You are probably right about a starter ready CB because the other CBs are very good but young.

I'm fine with bringing Cephus back but I'm hoping he's not in our top 3 at the position. We need to drastically improve at that position.

The portal is a double edged sword. People that want a new 0 coordinator to bring in WR help, would scream foul if Manny took Abdul, Sutton and few others with him if got another job.

The portal is a double edged sword. People that want a new 0 coordinator to bring in WR help, would scream foul if Manny took Abdul, Sutton and few others with him if got another job.
if Manny takes a HC job this year, it’s not going to be at a school that will be able to pull those names with him, cmon.

You think Abdul Carter is going to transfer to Duke or Syracuse to follow Manny?

Reactions: dswartz
if Manny takes a HC job this year, it’s not going to be at a school that will be able to pull those names with him, cmon.

You think Abdul Carter is going to transfer to Duke or Syracuse to follow Manny?
No, unless the person we hire doesn't run a scheme he believes he can be successful in. Odds are VERY slim to none.

Carter was offered big NIL deals with Bama and USC last offseason and didn’t take them. Now we think Manny Diaz will take our big names on defense when he leaves for a shit can lower P5 job?

My point about the future OC bringing WRs with him, had more to do with the chance we hire from a lower P5 job. I’m well aware we won’t poach Hartline and he’ll bring a stable of OSU’s WRs.

You are probably right about a starter ready CB because the other CBs are very good but young.

I think we have a lot of potential at the position, but Miller is the only one with experience. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if King returned. I don't think he put R1 film out this year and perhaps playing with Kobe again is enough to retain him.

Reactions: 87 Penn St8

Relax, all I was pointing out was that some people who want new coaches to bring in players would blow a gasket if coaches leaving us would poach players. Because as I said it’s a double edged sword. Do you think I’m wrong about the reactions of some of our unhinged posters? No, don’t think the players I mentioned are or are going to be part of a package. Just using them as examples.

That’s why Diaz and Smith got Washington and Tracy so much PT this season,i.e. for true freshman.

But it seems the staff will go after the best portal CB they can find.

Big class coming in with a good many DT’s but a big DT would be great. But hard to find so depending on the attrition and development of the couple young DT’s at the position the staff may stand pat.

With the big class coming I’m only expecting 6 or 7 incoming portal players. But who knows….

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT