ADVERTISEMENT

Poland Open tournament thread (starts Tuesday morning 5 AM)

You can get DQ'd for 3 cautions for not engaging/fleeing. When the last pushout occurred, there were 2 cautions up on the board for Nick. I believe he was given the 3rd on the last push out, because he was going backwards again. The ref was giving him a hard time about backing up, so that's what I believe happened. It really was a function of the Iranian's style. He would tie up with Nick, force the underhook, gain leverage and push Nick back, so Nick was going back a lot. Nick also was moving backwards to avoid the tie ups; he wanted to work from a little more space. Credit to the Iranian, though, he had something going that Nick couldn't stop and he kept using it. Not the most exciting thing to watch, but it was effective.
That is textbook "Iranian Style" too. They tend to live on those underhooks. Some (Yazdani) can generate a huge arsenal of offense from it, but most work the edge.

Damn Nolf. First Dake, and now this. He had this match won. So wanted to see Nolf vs Chamizo. One match and he is done. On the other hand Panteleo and Yianni lose their first matches and get to keep wrestling and win a gold medal. Unreal.

I'm sure I could look this up, but can someone share what criterea UWW uses to determine if a bracket will be round robin or not? It's been something of a mystery to me, so I figured I'd ask.

Reactions: danoftw
I'm sure I could look this up, but can someone share what criterea UWW uses to determine if a bracket will be round robin or not? It's been something of a mystery to me, so I figured I'd ask.
Same criterion they use for lots of other things:

tysondart2.gif

I just don’t think Nolf is the level of athlete he’s going up against now. Out of psu’s big three the best one, IMO, won’t be around for the next Olympic cycle. Any chance Bo reconsiders? Lol

I just don’t think Nolf is the level of athlete he’s going up against now. Out of psu’s big three the best one, IMO, won’t be around for the next Olympic cycle. Any chance Bo reconsiders? Lol
I think Nolf is making good strides and hold out that he is making the climb. I thought he looked good against Dake

I thought he looked good against Dake
I'm assuming you meant the rokfin match? Or maybe you blocked out the most recent match between the 2?

I have faith in Jason--I think he is a fine athlete, it's just that his edge in college was how he gamed the risk/rewards of attacks. He can do that in freestyle too, but he's going to need to really develop a synaptic-level feel for freestyle before it can happen. If he wants to, I believe he will do it, and become a very dominant freestyler.

Reactions: 7brwnpsu
I disagree. While not there yet with Dake or Burroughs, Nolf was every bit the athlete with his opponent yesterday…he just needs to be able to understand and train in freestyle more. He is a very creative wrestler…just needs more time to get a feel for freestyle. I too, would have loved to see him go against Chamizo…merely for the experience. Don’t count out JN just yet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT