ADVERTISEMENT

Poland Open tournament thread (starts Tuesday morning 5 AM)

Not a great day for our guys so far. Losses for Nolf, McKenna, Yianni, and a couple for NATO. Even Cox gave up and take down against a German (he did win). He and Gwiz are in the semis.

Reactions: danoftw
Yianni showed some ferocity vs. McKenna, don't think he liked losing to him at trials (duh)....

Yianni showed some ferocity vs. McKenna, don't think he liked losing to him at trials (duh)....
Also possible that he was really pissed at losing his first ever match at an international tournament (and to an opponent who ran away for the last 3-4 minutes of the match).

Nolf had a tough loss. He was up 2-0 after a first period takedown. In the second he got put on the shot clock, which per the usual looked pretty random, but I guess he wasn't "bear hugging" enough in the middle of the ring. Nolf was active, but working from distance a bit more. He gave up a point on the shot clock violation then looked to hit a nice duck, but the KAZ wrestler stepped behind Nolf as they went to the mat. Nolf kept control of the upper body as they went to the mat, but a scramble ensued and somehow Nolf ended up in a Peterson giving up the two. Varner challenged, I think hoping for a 2 and 2, but it failed. Final score KAZ 4 (Shot clock, Takedown, Challenge), Nolf 2 (Takedown).

Nolf had a tough loss. He was up 2-0 after a first period takedown. In the second he got put on the shot clock, which per the usual looked pretty random, but I guess he wasn't "bear hugging" enough in the middle of the ring. Nolf was active, but working from distance a bit more. He gave up a point on the shot clock violation then looked to hit a nice duck, but the KAZ wrestler stepped behind Nolf as they went to the mat. Nolf kept control of the upper body as they went to the mat, but a scramble ensued and somehow Nolf ended up in a Peterson giving up the two. Varner challenged, I think hoping for a 2 and 2, but it failed. Final score KAZ 4 (Shot clock, Takedown, Challenge), Nolf 2 (Takedown).
I thought it was a good challenge as Nolf was behind with a body lock and both wrestlers were working thru the leg 'hooks' that are similar to the merkel position. Good experience for Jason as this was, I think, this guys specialty as he was looking for the position to hit the Peterson like move...

That was funny the first three or four times, but after ten or twenty it is pretty stale.
Dude...are you new here?

"__________ is beating Nico in the room" has been beaten into the ground, buried, dug up and beaten back into the ground. We're going on year 5 for that "joke".

The "Yianni didn't lose, he just wasn't trying" is only getting started.

He deserves an illegal fist to the back!

Repeatedly beating barely-funny-to-begin-with jokes into the ground...

Fo2Fmc.gif

I thought it was a good challenge as Nolf was behind with a body lock and both wrestlers were working thru the leg 'hooks' that are similar to the merkel position. Good experience for Jason as this was, I think, this guys specialty as he was looking for the position to hit the Peterson like move...
Really slick Peterson from Kaisanov. That's a pretty common counter internationally when guys step over the leg. Americans don't have great feel in that position generally because it's a takedown in folkstyle. Definitely all Kaisanov's points.

Reactions: kevin310
Really slick Peterson from Kaisanov. That's a pretty common counter internationally when guys step over the leg. Americans don't have great feel in that position generally because it's a takedown in folkstyle. Definitely all Kaisanov's points.
It's all but evolved out of folk because it was primarily an attack from bottom, and top wrestlers have changed positioning and technique.

Reactions: diggerpup
Watched the Gwiazdowski v, Zare 125kg final. It was clear Zare just wanted to go for the pushouts; not interested in shooting at all. Just kept locking up and using the left underhook to lift Gwiz, get him off balance and push him off the mat. Zare won 6-1 in the first period via 5 pushouts and 1 lost challenge. Gotta give props to Varner for a nice challenge that got Gwiz the point for the pushout and erased a takedown and 2 backs for Zare; big 5 point swing there or the match would have been over sooner.

Reactions: danoftw
Watched the Gwiazdowski v, Zare 125kg final. It was clear Zare just wanted to go for the pushouts; not interested in shooting at all. Just kept locking up and using the left underhook to lift Gwiz, get him off balance and push him off the mat. Zare won 6-1 in the first period via 5 pushouts and 1 lost challenge. Gotta give props to Varner for a nice challenge that got Gwiz the point for the pushout and erased a takedown and 2 backs for Zare; big 5 point swing there or the match would have been over sooner.
Do pushouts over and over lead to warnings? Was he Dqed?

It's all but evolved out of folk because it was primarily an attack from bottom, and top wrestlers have changed positioning and technique.
I'm talking about having the inside leg in/merkel. That's a takedown in folkstyle (a la Cory Clark against NATO). In freestyle, you have to get your leg out and pass all the way behind to score and our guys are usually pretty lost there. In folkstyle, often the bottom guy is the one trying to remove the leg so he can work to escape, but in freestyle they can just clamp down and wait for you to make a mistake and hit you with a peterson/some other slick counter or hold on for a stalemate.

Jason got caught napping there hanging onto a high gut instead of improving his position. Looked a little indecisive.

Ah-So...But this is what I fear about the push out rule in folkstyle. They will be push out contests in Carver. Book it.
It's an unresolvable debate, but I would only counter to ask: is that the only match in this tourney that you saw where this happened? It's far from the most common type of match that you see in freestyle, IMO. But yes, some programs would probably delight it in more than others!

Reactions: Dogwelder
Do pushouts over and over lead to warnings? Was he Dqed?
You can get DQ'd for 3 cautions for not engaging/fleeing. When the last pushout occurred, there were 2 cautions up on the board for Nick. I believe he was given the 3rd on the last push out, because he was going backwards again. The ref was giving him a hard time about backing up, so that's what I believe happened. It really was a function of the Iranian's style. He would tie up with Nick, force the underhook, gain leverage and push Nick back, so Nick was going back a lot. Nick also was moving backwards to avoid the tie ups; he wanted to work from a little more space. Credit to the Iranian, though, he had something going that Nick couldn't stop and he kept using it. Not the most exciting thing to watch, but it was effective.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT