ADVERTISEMENT

Pittsburgh Pirates 2021 Season Thread

This is not true. One of the reasons for the newer draft bonus pools is because the Pirates were overpaying to get guys to sign which raised the bar for other teams. They spent on their minors. They just stunk at developing that talent.
Thats what I meant by not paying to develop. Yes they were spending to buy contracts, but they weren't doing enough with their development programs, coaching, analytics, etc.

Thats what I meant by not paying to develop. Yes they were spending to buy contracts, but they weren't doing enough with their development programs, coaching, analytics, etc.
Yeah, remember when instead of Investing in the Dominican republic they chose to go to India and look at cricket players. Sign a guy throwing 82 for what they could have signed five 17 year olds from the island.

I have a couple former pitchers in pro ball and one who is an mlb all star, all of them said that the two franchises known for having the worst pitching philosophy and development were the pirates and orioles.

I think it was more a matter of spending on the wrong things than not spending enough. And also having poor scouting and a bad philosophy for developing players.

The key to success for the Pirates is to have a minor league system loaded with prospects that can replace veterans who become too expensive. The Pirates will never (under the current system) be able to keep up with the big spenders in free agency. So they have to be much much better at scouting and player development than they were under Huntington.

Reactions: TheGLOV and bison13

Cool pic of Madonna from the 80s; recall she had some Western PA roots/connections so maybe not a shocker she has on a Pirates shirt…also, it’s her birthday!

E867f7bWEAQEIua

• Wow
Reactions: nits74 and TheGLOV
Yeah, remember when instead of Investing in the Dominican republic they chose to go to India and look at cricket players. Sign a guy throwing 82 for what they could have signed five 17 year olds from the island.

I have a couple former pitchers in pro ball and one who is an mlb all star, all of them said that the two franchises known for having the worst pitching philosophy and development were the pirates and orioles.
Several years ago (maybe more) was when the Pirates went with the "fastball academy" in the minors, especially low minors. Essentially pitchers only threw fastballs. The idea was absolute mastery command of the FB would make you more effective. I saw some pretty decent pitchers hit around pretty hard during that time. Which was also part of the pitch to contact philosophy.

I am hopeful the new regime looks at things differently.

Several years ago (maybe more) was when the Pirates went with the "fastball academy" in the minors, especially low minors. Essentially pitchers only threw fastballs. The idea was absolute mastery command of the FB would make you more effective. I saw some pretty decent pitchers hit around pretty hard during that time. Which was also part of the pitch to contact philosophy.

Always drives me crazy when I hear about some pitcher that 22-24 years old and has only a fastball/ curveball and is learning another pitch like a slider. Hard to believe that someone would go that long and not learn additional pitches. Where the hell were his coaches for ten years? Of his parents? Or a friend?

Reactions: TheGLOV
Always drives me crazy when I hear about some pitcher that 22-24 years old and has only a fastball/ curveball and is learning another pitch like a slider. Hard to believe that someone would go that long and not learn additional pitches. Where the hell were his coaches for ten years? Of his parents? Or a friend?
That's the state of baseball these days. All that the young kids are worrying about is velocity because that's all that the pros are looking for. Plus with pictures not being expected to go through the lineup more than twice you don't need a third pitch.

Yeah, while I understood the merits of building up arm strength and controlling your most used pitch, I still scratched my head at the extreme emphasis (in fairness they also emphasized the change up) of the approach. I remember the Pirates pitching coach in the late 80s (Ray Searage?) talk about how hitters had the hardest problems with changing speeds and changes in elevation of where the pitch was thrown. The inside/outside was mostly to keep hitters feeling a little uncomfortable, but overall the bat was long enough to compensate. That seemed to completely disappear. Of course now they emphasize spin rates, which is really just a way of saying the ball is harder to see since the ball doesn't actually move from the spin. I still don't see that overall philosophy on how to attack hitters.

Yeah, while I understood the merits of building up arm strength and controlling your most used pitch, I still scratched my head at the extreme emphasis (in fairness they also emphasized the change up) of the approach. I remember the Pirates pitching coach in the late 80s (Ray Searage?) talk about how hitters had the hardest problems with changing speeds and changes in elevation of where the pitch was thrown. The inside/outside was mostly to keep hitters feeling a little uncomfortable, but overall the bat was long enough to compensate. That seemed to completely disappear. Of course now they emphasize spin rates, which is really just a way of saying the ball is harder to see since the ball doesn't actually move from the spin. I still don't see that overall philosophy on how to attack hitters.
I think you might thinking of Ray Miller. Work fast, Throw Strikes, and Change Speeds was his mantra.

I know this rarely ever happens, but MITCH KELLER Raises the Jolly Roger in St. Louis. Keller finally pitches the way the Pirates think he can. The fastball definitely had more carry up in the zone, while the curve ball was not just a lollipop. Slider had good movement to the outer half of the plate.

Polanco with two sac fly RBI.
The Pirates latest reclamation project Yoshi Tsutsugo, think Babe Ruth from Japan, homered in the ninth. This broke the current MLB longest streak for a team's at bats with out a home run at about 190 at bats.

This was the Pirates first shutout on the road in 2021.

LOL YEA MAY AS WELL OVER PAY DRAFT PICKS BECAUSE THEY SURE AS HELL ARE PAYING THE MAJOR LEAGUE PLAYERS!! THEY HAVE A PRETTY GOOD MINOR LEAGUE SYSTEM BUT THEY ALL END UP PLAYING FOR OTHER TEAMS!!

Raise The Jolly Roger for the second night in a row as the Buccos Muck The Cardinals Again!!!

Peters with a solid start. Yoshi Babe Ruth with a Home Run for the second straight game. Hello Newman continues his tear with a home run and single to raise his average to .227. Even Polanco gets a double!!!! Chad Kuhl with an impressive relief appearance. Hayes with a big hit. Bednar slams the door on a big loud Cardinal crowd that showed up to celebrate past Cardinal feats.

Could the Pirates win Sunday to sweep the series??? Ahhh NO CHANCE of the THAT!!!!

Win number 44 of the year for the Bucs.

Reactions: TheGLOV

Raise The Jolly Roger as the Buccos finally Beat The Arizona Snakes.

Will "Russell" Crowe wasn't bad until Hayes bonehead play at third base extended the Snakes 5th inning so that Christian Walker could plate 3 runs on an off the plate pitch ripped to right center.

Yoshi Babe Ruth started the comeback with his third Home Run in 4 days to cut the Arizona lead to 5 - 3 in the seventh inning!!!! Later in the seventh, Hayes walks and is driven in by a huge Reynolds trip trip triple to shave the Snakes lead to 5 -4. A Moran infield grounder then plates Reynolds to tie the game at 5 heading to the 8th.

Kuhl solid in relief then sends the game to the bottom of the 8th still tied.

Newman walks with 1 out in the eighth. Wild pitch moves him to 2nd. Hayes chops grounder on the 10th pitch for a ground out that scores go ahead run.

Bednar slams the door in the ninth to earn his second save and first at PNC.

Board Favorite Hello Newman with 2 absolute Gems in the field!!! 5 star plays we are talking here!!!1

Pirates have now won 3 of 4!!

Madison Baumgartner should be able to throw his glove on the mound to defeat Jeff Bombs Away Brubaker in action tomorrow nite.

Well the Pirates complete another series being swept. Head scratcher decision of day in top of 8th, down 3-2 with runner on first and 2 out. Slow as molasses cleanup hitter Moran tries a push bunt down 3rd base line during infield shift. Execution fail as pitcher easily fields ball and throws him out.

Is there any other team in majors who would attempt a bunt with their cleanup hitter in that situation?
well, is Moran truly a clean-up hitter

Raise The Jolly Roger for the second night in a row as the Buccos Muck The Cardinals Again!!!

Peters with a solid start. Yoshi Babe Ruth with a Home Run for the second straight game. Hello Newman continues his tear with a home run and single to raise his average to .227. Even Polanco gets a double!!!! Chad Kuhl with an impressive relief appearance. Hayes with a big hit. Bednar slams the door on a big loud Cardinal crowd that showed up to celebrate past Cardinal feats.

Could the Pirates win Sunday to sweep the series??? Ahhh NO CHANCE of the THAT!!!!

Win number 44 of the year for the Bucs.
playoffs!!roflmfao

Raise The Jolly Roger as the Buccos finally Beat The Arizona Snakes.

Will "Russell" Crowe wasn't bad until Hayes bonehead play at third base extended the Snakes 5th inning so that Christian Walker could plate 3 runs on an off the plate pitch ripped to right center.

Yoshi Babe Ruth started the comeback with his third Home Run in 4 days to cut the Arizona lead to 5 - 3 in the seventh inning!!!! Later in the seventh, Hayes walks and is driven in by a huge Reynolds trip trip triple to shave the Snakes lead to 5 -4. A Moran infield grounder then plates Reynolds to tie the game at 5 heading to the 8th.

Kuhl solid in relief then sends the game to the bottom of the 8th still tied.

Newman walks with 1 out in the eighth. Wild pitch moves him to 2nd. Hayes chops grounder on the 10th pitch for a ground out that scores go ahead run.

Bednar slams the door in the ninth to earn his second save and first at PNC.

Board Favorite Hello Newman with 2 absolute Gems in the field!!! 5 star plays we are talking here!!!1

Pirates have now won 3 of 4!!

Madison Baumgartner should be able to throw his glove on the mound to defeat Jeff Bombs Away Brubaker in action tomorrow nite.
I'll take the opposite and predict that the Pirates will win tonight!

Have faith my son!!
As predicted by TheGlov the Buccos Raise The Jolly Roger for the 4th time in 5 games!!!! Once again Glov shows that he is in the know!!!!

Unbelievably, the Bucs rough up Madison Baumgartner with home runs by Alford and newcomer Michael Chavis!!! Hayes with a big Trip Trip Triple to go along with a defensive Gem!!! An even bigger surprise was that Batting Practice Brubaker pitched 5 shutout innings despite a few jams!!!!

As always, the Pirates displayed total incompetence with their base running......but Derek Shelton has got this explained with "we got too aggressive".

Board favorites Hello Newman and Greg Polanco each contribute a hit apiece. This despite the fact Polanco is currently going through waivers on a fishing expedition to see if any team wants a poor defensive outfielder that can steal bases, but rarely gets on base.

Every team in the MLB got their first series sweep by the end of May EXCEPT FOR THE BUCCOS. Once again the Pirates will get a chance to get off the schneid when they take on the Snakes on Wednesday night. The Pirates have failed in their previous 10 attempts to sweep a series this season. Since 1961 ONLY 6 teams have not swept a series over the course of a season. The Pirates remaining schedule does not appear to have many opportunities to sweep a series.

Game time tomorrow is at 7:05 P.M. with Mitch Keller coming off his best start of the year set to face Ty Me Up With Your Ties Gilbert. Gilbert recently threw a no hitter.

As predicted by TheGlov the Buccos Raise The Jolly Roger for the 4th time in 5 games!!!! Once again Glov shows that he is in the know!!!!

Unbelievably, the Bucs rough up Madison Baumgartner with home runs by Alford and newcomer Michael Chavis!!! Hayes with a big Trip Trip Triple to go along with a defensive Gem!!! An even bigger surprise was that Batting Practice Brubaker pitched 5 shutout innings despite a few jams!!!!

As always, the Pirates displayed total incompetence with their base running......but Derek Shelton has got this explained with "we got too aggressive".

Board favorites Hello Newman and Greg Polanco each contribute a hit apiece. This despite the fact Polanco is currently going through waivers on a fishing expedition to see if any team wants a poor defensive outfielder that can steal bases, but rarely gets on base.

Every team in the MLB got their first series sweep by the end of May EXCEPT FOR THE BUCCOS. Once again the Pirates will get a chance to get off the schneid when they take on the Snakes on Wednesday night. The Pirates have failed in their previous 10 attempts to sweep a series this season. Since 1961 ONLY 6 teams have not swept a series over the course of a season. The Pirates remaining schedule does not appear to have many opportunities to sweep a series.

Game time tomorrow is at 7:05 P.M. with Mitch Keller coming off his best start of the year set to face Ty Me Up With Your Ties Gilbert. Gilbert recently threw a no hitter.
Nice write up. Better than the guys at the Trib! Send them a few and get hired!

Thank you!

:)

Reactions: auxgym

Ok, I'm going out on a limb with this one:

The Pirates have a 50/50 chance of winning tomorrow nights game!

Let that sink in for a while.

Reactions: auxgym

Newly acquired Michael Chavis shows some promise. No one is more excited to be on the field than he is. Swings as hard as he can at most pitches, but did make a nice swing on a hit going to right field. If he can stay away from the strike outs, we will see him in the lineup a lot. Has the ability to play many positions. Looks like he will get a shot a second base. Cherington originally drafted Chavis in Boston. Got picked off second base for no reason tonite......so hopefully he calms down a bit.

Newly acquired Michael Chavis shows some promise. No one is more excited to be on the field than he is. Swings as hard as he can at most pitches, but did make a nice swing on a hit going to right field. If he can stay away from the strike outs, we will see him in the lineup a lot. Has the ability to play many positions. Looks like he will get a shot a second base. Cherington originally drafted Chavis in Boston. Got picked off second base for no reason tonite......so hopefully he calms down a bit.
Hate idiots that swing as hard as they can. Just hit the damn ball. Quit trying to hit a homer every at bat. Quit trying to make the newsreel highlights or social media clicks. Play baseball!

If I were coach I would bench these clowns. The Prospects have had two guys break their wrists by swinging too hard. And these weren’t long ball hitters but average player wanna be homers.

Hate idiots that swing as hard as they can. Just hit the damn ball. Quit trying to hit a homer every at bat. Quit trying to make the newsreel highlights or social media clicks. Play baseball!

If I were coach I would bench these clowns. The Prospects have had two guys break their wrists by swinging too hard. And these weren’t long ball hitters but average player wanna be homers.
Agreed. The hard swingers is why the Mendoza Line is now a common batting average!

Reactions: The Spin Meister

Little did the Cardinals know that they were flying toward a Buccos Ship That Was ready to Raise The Jolly Roger!!!

Leading 7 - 3 in the seventh inning the Cardinals flew in to a barrage of Bucco artillery the led to 8 runs scored for the Pirates before a single out was recorded!!! The Pirates are the ONLY team in the MLB to put up such an inning this year!!

The Mitch Keller we know all to well dug the hole that put the Pirates behind, but the huge 7th inning took him off the hook!!!!!

Michael Chavis and Colin Red Beard Moran led the Lumber Company with 4 hits each, while Greg Cup O Coffee Polanco showed up with 3 hits, two doubles and 2 rbi. Polanco's second double with the 2 rbi put the Bucs ahead to stay at 9 - 7. Yoshi Babe Ruth followed with another pinch hit Cannon Ball to put the Pirates at the final score of 11 - 7!! Willllllmer Difo also added 3 hits to the Pirates 17 hit attack. Bryan Reynolds posted 1 hit and 2 RBI, while Hello Newman was 0 for 3 with an RBI.

Pittsburgh's very own Renegade David Bednar put the sleeper hold on the Cards in the ninth.

The Buccos put an end to the Cards 10 game win streak in Pittsburgh. The Pirates have now defeated St. Louis in 3 of 4 games in the last week.

Quite an exciting nite for a team mired in a 47 - 81 season.

J.A. Happ(y) trails will take the hill tomorrow nite for the Cards vs Dillon Peters of the Pirates.

They are Raising The Jolly Roger In The Land Of The Rising Sun as The Japanese Babe Ruth Yoshi walks off The Bucs while Mucking The Cards!!!

Short story is the Bucs hardly had a pulse all day. Wil Russell Crowe took too long to throw a bunch of pitches, which included a gopher ball.......giving the Cards 3 runs in 5 innings.

Pirate bullpen keeps it close. Game goes to the ninth 3 - 1 Cards. In the ninth....Reynolds walks, Moran whiffs, Stallings walks ......and YOSHI OBLITERATES ONE over the right field bleachers!!!!

NITE NITE Yadier!!!!! Bucs split series!!! Yoshi with his 5 HR in 13th Pirate games!!!!!

Soooo Funny!!!

Straten with the win to go 5 - 0.

Cole Tucker is now starting......embarrassing at the plate....tries really hard to walk which he did twice.

Bucs 48th Win!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT