ADVERTISEMENT

Pittsburgh Penguins - 2021 NHL Hockey Thread

If you want to do the research on this very niche stat, I will be happy to comment. I don’t know what Conner McDavid’s shooting percentage either. I just know he is an incredible scorer who has added a very sold plus-minus to his resume this year. Games are decided by goals - both for and against. By that measure, Letang is having a fabulous year and has had a fabulous career. Mario has held on to him for a reason. Ole’ #66 knows a thing or two about hockey.

I knew that when you had a 'lost argument' you'd try to change the narrative of the question; Hence the limited response wiggle-room.

Hanging on to him, for so many partial seasons, does not justify the end result.

One can only hope he becomes a Seattle Kraken very soon.

If you want to do the research on this very niche stat, I will be happy to comment. I don’t know what Conner McDavid’s shooting percentage either. I just know he is an incredible scorer who has added a very sold plus-minus to his resume this year. Games are decided by goals - both for and against. By that measure, Letang is having a fabulous year and has had a fabulous career. Mario has held on to him for a reason. Ole’ #66 knows a thing or two about hockey.

But, to answer your question, 16.7%.
Bye-bye!
;) :) ;)

Cici 6.9%
Domuolin 8%
Matheson 5.8%
Marino 5.4%
Friedman 33.3%

Just trying to help you along.

Nice chewing the FAT with you sir.

My compliments to you.

I am not the only one who does not agree with you here on this post but, since you did choose me to debate sir, 5.3% shooting percentage this year?

No offense, but that's a stupid stat to use to determine if a D-man is having a good or bad season. He was a +19 on the season, which is another stat I don't like, but at least shows something more about D then shooting percentage. That's good for 14th in the league among D. I think you undervalue him because of high visibility mistakes and don't notice all the little things he still does very well.

I am not the only one who does not agree with you here on this post but, since you did choose me to debate sir, 5.3% shooting percentage this year?

Please list the shooting percentages for the other Penguin defensemen for comparison.

Nothing else please.

No debate, comments, etc. Just what was previously asked.

Thank you.
Hey Glov,

You are really cherry picking here. Letang is 3rd in the league in points among defensemen. 3rd on the Pens. Leads the Pens in +/-. and minutes per game. He averages exactly 1 giveaway per game.

Has taken 46 more shots than the next defenseman. My guess would be that many of these would be from the point, which is reason for lower shooting %.

I haven't watched the whole season, but the past few games, Letang has played well. Obviously, your opinion differs from the Pens coaches and management, but you are obviously a huge Pens fan, so we can agree to disagree. Let's go Pens.

Hey Glov,

You are really cherry picking here. Letang is 3rd in the league in points among defensemen. 3rd on the Pens. Leads the Pens in +/-. and minutes per game. He averages exactly 1 giveaway per game.

Has taken 46 more shots than the next defenseman. My guess would be that many of these would be from the point, which is reason for lower shooting %.

I haven't watched the whole season, but the past few games, Letang has played well. Obviously, your opinion differs from the Pens coaches and management, but you are obviously a huge Pens fan, so we can agree to disagree. Let's go Pens.
Look, Letang is like Carlson. Both have a risk/reward dynamic to them, and in both cases, they are certainly net positives by a long shot.

Reactions: bison13 and TheGLOV
I am not sure the question is whether Letang is still good. It is whether he is 9% of your salary cap, $7,250,000 per year good. That I am not so sure about.

Reactions: bison13 and TheGLOV
Hey Glov,

Good analysis. Glov is a hatah. Defensemen don’t always shoot to score. They’re trying to get a deflection or rebound, sometimes by missing the net on purpose. Like Justin Schultz did in game 6 of the 2017 SCF. Can the Pens waive some of their so called fans?

Money Puck!
Value is always a hard question, but the better one is, did they get the aggregate contract value worth of services? Probably so. Regardless of whether it's Letang or any other veteran in a big long contract, you're not going to move him at the back end without retaining salary anyway.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Value is always a hard question, but the better one is, did they get the aggregate contract value worth of services? Probably so. Regardless of whether it's Letang or any other veteran in a big long contract, you're not going to move him at the back end without retaining salary anyway.
Totally agree. today pro sports is about value. Not only how much you paid for x amount of production, but what else COULD you have gotten for that cap space. If you sign Jedeveon Clowney for $10m, who can't you sign when they are cut this summer, because you've got that $10m tied up. Then, factor in the suits who wanted to sign him so that ratings and ticket prices can go up.

I am not sure the question is whether Letang is still good. It is whether he is 9% of your salary cap, $7,250,000 per year good. That I am not so sure about.
He plays more minutes than anyone else. It’s like having an extra player on the roster. And is a major boost when a D goes down during a game and leaves them shorthanded.

Guy drives me nuts with his lapses but he is really good.

Could say the same for Malkin. Let's see what the playoffs bring.

Good analysis. Glov is a hatah. Defensemen don’t always shoot to score. They’re trying to get a deflection or rebound, sometimes by missing the net on purpose. Like Justin Schultz did in game 6 of the 2017 SCF. Can the Pens waive some of their so called fans?

Not a hater but a realist sir.

I'm the Pens #1 objective fan my good friend.

They NEED me!

No offense, but that's a stupid stat to use to determine if a D-man is having a good or bad season. He was a +19 on the season, which is another stat I don't like, but at least shows something more about D then shooting percentage. That's good for 14th in the league among D. I think you undervalue him because of high visibility mistakes and don't notice all the little things he still does very well.

Not stupid at all but you are allowed certainly to call them as you see them just like I do.

Not stupid at all but you are allowed certainly to call them as you see them just like I do.

As long as we can agree on calling them as we see them, you go ahead and point out almost worthless stats and I’ll keep pointing out how worthless they are.

As long as we can agree on calling them as we see them, you go ahead and point out almost worthless stats and I’ll keep pointing out how worthless they are.

You can keep pointing our what you believe are worthless stats (Even when they are actually not)

You are obviously a big fan of his.

Please go ask him for his autograph.

He makes MORE big time and little mistakes for a veteran than one ever should.

Other posters have pointed this out sir. Please go debate them first before you respond to this.

Thank you.

You can keep pointing our what you believe are worthless stats (Even when they are actually not)

Other posters have pointed this out sir. Please go debate them first before you respond to this.

Thank you.

You’re too much. Instead of debating the other posters, I’m just going to call Mike Sullivan and ask him why he’s playing such a horrible defenseman almost 25 minutes per night. I’ll give him all of the points you’ve made in this thread. And if he hasn’t hung up on me, I’ll let him know where he can find you if he needs scouting reports on the rest of the team.

Thank you.

I don't know how they won the division. It must have been because of Mike Matheson.

I knew that when you had a 'lost argument' you'd try to change the narrative of the question; Hence the limited response wiggle-room.

Hanging on to him, for so many partial seasons, does not justify the end result.

Lost the arguement? Nice try. There is no “argument”. I will go with statistics and my trained hockey eye over simply your emotional and less trained eye. Facts > emotional bias 8 days a week.

Reactions: bison13
Let's move on from the Kristopher Letang debate. Focus on payback vs. the Islanders. Pens are on a roll and pretty much healthy, but Isles have some excellent young forwards. Should be a fun series. I'm going with Pens in 6.

I have an idea, let's talk about something different than the value of Letang.

How about something regarding the matchup with the Islanders?

You’re too much. Instead of debating the other posters, I’m just going to call Mike Sullivan and ask him why he’s playing such a horrible defenseman almost 25 minutes per night. I’ll give him all of the points you’ve made in this thread. And if he hasn’t hung up on me, I’ll let him know where he can find you if he needs scouting reports on the rest of the team.

While you at it, call the ex-Pens coach and ask him why he either benched or did not start Marc-Andre 4-Goal Fleury during many a Pens playoff runs of years past.

I'm sure he'll take your call.

And, do get back to me on the cost of salary investment in LaTurd/games not played since he's been a Penguin.

His mistakes are glaring.

Please pay attention.

He makes MAJOR ones!!

Last edited:
While you at it, call the ex-Pens coach and ask him why he either benched or did not start Marc-Andre 4-Goal Fleury during many a Pens playoff runs of years past.

And, do get back to me on the cost of salary investment in LaTurd/games not played since he's been a Penguin.

Please pay attention.

He makes MAJOR ones!!
Okay now you’ve proved you dont have a clue. The current coach is the one that played Murray over Fleury. And WTF does that have to do with this discussion anyway?

And if you want to get into games missed, since Letang’s first full season he’s missed 219 games. During that same period, Crosby missed 196. Malkin has missed 213. Pretty close if you ask me. And Letang is paid less than the other two. So....salary investment in games not played?

If this conversation was about Malkin, I’d agree with you.

Okay now you’ve proved you dont have a clue. The current coach is the one that played Murray over Fleury. And WTF does that have to do with this discussion anyway?

And if you want to get into games missed, since Letang’s first full season he’s missed 219 games. During that same period, Crosby missed 196. Malkin has missed 213. Pretty close if you ask me. And Letang is paid less than the other two. So....salary investment in games not played?

If this conversation was about Malkin, I’d agree with you.

Actually, if you look at the wins in the playoffs it was almost 50:50 between Murray and Fleury.

I have an idea, let's talk about something different than the value of Letang.

How about something regarding the matchup with the Islanders?

I like the Letang match-up vs. the Isles. His skating, speed, passing, shooting, and playmaking from the blue line is a major advantage for the Pens against an Isles team that has little answer for him. On defense his speed, stick handling, and anticipation are really disruptive, especially against a weak scoring Isles team.

Reactions: PSUHarry33
Actually, if you look at the wins in the playoffs it was almost 50:50 between Murray and Fleury.
Between the two cup seasons with both, it was 22-9. Murray had 22 of the 32 wins. Fleury had 9. Jeff Zatkoff got the other win. So 50-50? Not quite.

In the first cup season, Murray had 15 wins, Fleury 0, Zatkoff 1.

In the second cup season, Murray missed the first couple of rounds with an injury. Fleury was in goal for the 4-1 series win over Columbus and the 4-3 series win over the Caps. He got pulled in game 3 against Ottawa and Murray went the rest of the way. This is probably what you’re thinking when you thought it was 50-50.

Reactions: TheGLOV and 91Joe95

Please pay attention.

He makes MAJOR ones!!
Flower and Letang will both be in the Hall - with as many or more rings as anyone in the post-Gretzky era. Not a coincidence.

Reactions: PSUHarry33
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT