ADVERTISEMENT

Pittsburgh Penguins - 2021 NHL Hockey Thread

I hate trading the future for old guys and rentals. This deadline has the added wrinkle of the looming expansion draft. Even if you get a guy with more years left on his contract, you could still lose him for nothing. I wouldn’t do much right now. This team has chemistry. It’s dominating the most physical division in the NHL right now. How much more can you do?

Brassard does come to mind!

:mad:

• Angry
Reactions: psu_83_drummer
Brassard does come to mind!

:mad:

Brassard wasn’t a rental. And wasn’t that old. He was just a horrible fit. That’s what I mean by screwing up the chemistry. In fairness, the Pens ended up with McCann once they realized Brassard wasn’t what they’d hoped.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Trust in Sully!

Just hope when and if Geno comes back, he doesn't take a month and a half to get untracked. I'd rather have Kapanen back before Geno. Sully got him playing hard every shift and he doesn't take stupid penalties like #71

I think Geno is/has been the most 5-on-5 penalized hockey player for several years now.

Last edited:
Reactions: psu_83_drummer
Ah - oh!

Could veteran centre Jeff Carter be on his way to PIT? LAK and PIT have had discussions on that and are believed to be working towards making that happen.
Bob McKenzie
@TSNBobMcKenzie

LAK players saying their goodbyes to Jeff Carter, who is off to PIT.
8:48 PM · Apr 11, 2021

NHL trade deadline: Penguins reportedly add Jeff Carter in deal with Kings

Arun Srinivasan
Arun Srinivasan

·Writer
Sun, April 11, 2021, 9:02 PM

SAINT PAUL, MN - FEBRUARY 26: Jeff Carter #77 of the Los Angeles Kings celebrates after scoring a goal against the Minnesota Wild during the game at the Xcel Energy Center on February 26, 2021 in Saint Paul, Minnesota. (Photo by Bruce Kluckhohn/NHLI via Getty Images)

Jeff Carter has been reportedly traded to the Pittsburgh Penguins from the Los Angeles Kings. (Bruce Kluckhohn/NHLI via Getty Images)
The Pittsburgh Penguins have acquired Jeff Carter from the Los Angeles Kings, TSN's Bob McKenzie reports.

Carter has one year left on his current contract, with a $5.27 million cap hit entering the 2021-22 season.
Through 40 games, Carter has eight goals and 19 points, and though he's not the world-class player that he used to be, he could provide some ancillary scoring punch for a Penguins team that is lingering as a contender.

Carter's underlying numbers aren't great this year, with sub-50 percent Corsi For, Fenwick For and expected goals for percentages, while playing 16:27 per game. The 36-year-old is now four years removed from his last 60-point plus season and frankly, his name recognition outweighs his real value. But that's not to say it's a bad deal in and of itself for the Penguins, although further analysis is contingent upon knowing what the conditions are on the picks involved.
Pittsburgh is banking on Carter serving as an immediate upgrade at third-line center over the inexperienced Frederick Gaudreau, who has posted a goal and four points in 13 games to date, and is likely to be more productive than Teddy Blueger, who was just taken off injured reserve after spending nearly a month inactive.
Penguins president of hockey operations Brian Burke has an affinity for name-brand players with an edge, and probably wants to remember Carter as the imperative member of two Stanley Cup-winning Kings teams, along with his key contributions to Canada's gold-medal win in 2014 at the Sochi Olympics. Carter simply isn't that guy anymore and expecting him to turn back the clock is setting him up for failure. He is, however, an immediate upgrade on the bottom-six options for the Penguins and if he adds more veteran experience to a team that boasts two future Hall of Famers, helping spur the team toward Cup contention again, it's a short-term win, long-term consequences be damned.
\

Ah - oh!

Could veteran centre Jeff Carter be on his way to PIT? LAK and PIT have had discussions on that and are believed to be working towards making that happen.
Bob McKenzie
@TSNBobMcKenzie

Arun Srinivasan
Arun Srinivasan

·Writer

SAINT PAUL, MN - FEBRUARY 26: Jeff Carter #77 of the Los Angeles Kings celebrates after scoring a goal against the Minnesota Wild during the game at the Xcel Energy Center on February 26, 2021 in Saint Paul, Minnesota. (Photo by Bruce Kluckhohn/NHLI via Getty Images)

Jeff Carter has been reportedly traded to the Pittsburgh Penguins from the Los Angeles Kings. (Bruce Kluckhohn/NHLI via Getty Images)
The Pittsburgh Penguins have acquired Jeff Carter from the Los Angeles Kings, TSN's Bob McKenzie reports.

Carter has one year left on his current contract, with a $5.27 million cap hit entering the 2021-22 season.
Through 40 games, Carter has eight goals and 19 points, and though he's not the world-class player that he used to be, he could provide some ancillary scoring punch for a Penguins team that is lingering as a contender.

Carter's underlying numbers aren't great this year, with sub-50 percent Corsi For, Fenwick For and expected goals for percentages, while playing 16:27 per game. The 36-year-old is now four years removed from his last 60-point plus season and frankly, his name recognition outweighs his real value. But that's not to say it's a bad deal in and of itself for the Penguins, although further analysis is contingent upon knowing what the conditions are on the picks involved.
Pittsburgh is banking on Carter serving as an immediate upgrade at third-line center over the inexperienced Frederick Gaudreau, who has posted a goal and four points in 13 games to date, and is likely to be more productive than Teddy Blueger, who was just taken off injured reserve after spending nearly a month inactive.
Penguins president of hockey operations Brian Burke has an affinity for name-brand players with an edge, and probably wants to remember Carter as the imperative member of two Stanley Cup-winning Kings teams, along with his key contributions to Canada's gold-medal win in 2014 at the Sochi Olympics. Carter simply isn't that guy anymore and expecting him to turn back the clock is setting him up for failure. He is, however, an immediate upgrade on the bottom-six options for the Penguins and if he adds more veteran experience to a team that boasts two future Hall of Famers, helping spur the team toward Cup contention again, it's a short-term win, long-term consequences be damned.
\
“Lingering as a contender”😡hhrruuuummmpppp!

Ah - oh!

Bob McKenzie
@TSNBobMcKenzie

Arun Srinivasan
Arun Srinivasan

·Writer

\

I don't like this trade. I think we're well positioned exactly where we were with Malkin and Kapinen coming back.

This team is very fast, and I hope Carter doesn't displace one of the faster players.

Reactions: bison13 and TheGLOV
I don't like this trade. I think we're well positioned exactly where we were with Malkin and Kapinen coming back.

This team is very fast, and I hope Carter doesn't displace one of the faster players.
This should be a rest of the season acquisition and then Carter will be gone next year. I just hope they didn't give up too much in the way of draft picks for him.

My take on the mass mutual east and the trade deadline:

LaTurd, hence LaTang, is a turnover liability.

He's awful.

Mario has to realize this.

Screw LaTurd's no-trade or limited trade clause.

Hopefully Hexie can get Mario to agree to part ways with this guy.

This is my opinion and I am sticking to it.

:)
Christopher Letang has been pretty good this year. He does color outside the lines at times but he feeds the rushes like no defenseman on the team and can play structured when its most necessary. With a 6 goal lead his mind turned to having fun instead of running clock. The fact that Letang is still here after all these years is attributable to Mario.

Christopher Letang has been pretty good this year. He does color outside the lines at times but he feeds the rushes like no defenseman on the team and can play structured when its most necessary. With a 6 goal lead his mind turned to having fun instead of running clock. The fact that Letang is still here after all these years is attributable to Mario.

When you’re up 6-0 after 2 periods, it’s never a single player’s fault that you have to “hang on” for the W. The game wasn’t on where I live, but I’d have to imagine it was a team effort to take their collective feet off the gas. It is true that Letang is prone to some head-scratchers from time to time, but who else on the roster QBs the PP with his skill/efficiency?

When you’re up 6-0 after 2 periods, it’s never a single player’s fault that you have to “hang on” for the W. The game wasn’t on where I live, but I’d have to imagine it was a team effort to take their collective feet off the gas. It is true that Letang is prone to some head-scratchers from time to time, but who else on the roster QBs the PP with his skill/efficiency?

True to a point.

LeTang is PRONE to more head scratchers than an experienced player should be at this point in his career.

Hence = LaTURD

Part time player getting FULL TIME buck$

LaTurd, hence LaTang, is a turnover liability.

He's awful.

Mario has to realize this.

Screw LaTurd's no-trade or limited trade clause.

Hopefully Hexie can get Mario to agree to part ways with this guy.

This is my opinion and I am sticking to it.

:)

Maybe they can trade him for Marc Andre Fleury.

Oh God no!

He'd give up 4-goals in a FLEURY of activity!

:) ;) :)
Glov, I vividly recall your disdain for Fleury while he was here but he is going to the Hall of Fame. He is not Marty Brodeur but few are. He is prone to lapses just like Letang but both are very talented and were instrumental in years of Pens success. And Letang is still capable of playing winning hockey. His lapses drive me nuts but his skill level is still there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT