ADVERTISEMENT

Pittsburgh Penguins - 2021 NHL Hockey Thread

Great game. Scoring 5 goals with some of our ham and egg guys is so good. Great team win. Jarry so good.

I love watching the Pens beat teams who think they can win by out hitting them.

I’m a Pens fan in Caps country. Love watching their post game sorrow show.

Caps will come out charging on Saturday. They say Ovechkin will play. Will Malkin? Do we want him to? Chemistry issues? Carter fitting in pretty well.

I’m not a real knowledgeable hockey fan. Still learning. Would be interested in opinions on the Board.

I’m with ya on the Malkin nervousness. Yes he’s a HOF talent but he’s also prone to turnovers, stick fouls, and periods of coasting. I hope I’m wrong.

Wanted to kill Rust for being unselfish and giving up a wide open look for the empty net. He should still skate three laps for guving the Caps a gift point.

Reactions: GulfCoastLion

Pens win! Pens win!

Beat the Caps in OT and make the playoffs for the 15th straight year!

Hello Flyer fans!!

:) :D:cool::D:)

And ONLY Mario!

Respectfully disagree in his value. He’s been a partime player for years now and he often plays like an NHL Rookie.
Are you serious? Are you the same dude on here dissing the Flower too. Letang is having (another) phenomenal year. Top 5 defenseman in NHL. Partime player? Check his minutes played.

Are you serious? Are you the same dude on here dissing the Flower too. Letang is having (another) phenomenal year. Top 5 defenseman in NHL. Partime player? Check his minutes played.
Are YOU serious?

Letang is NOT having another phenomenal year!

Check his games played over the last several years.

Top-5 defenseman? Stop it Mrs. Letang!

Pens win! Pens win!

Beat the Caps in OT and make the playoffs for the 15th straight year!

Hello Flyer fans!!

:) :D:cool::D:)
A very interesting game - really almost three games. First period had a nice balance of each team controlling possession, but had a strangely deliberate pace to it. Second period with a lot of back and forth a la a traditional pens/caps game. Third period was like watching Devils v. Devils c. 1980, except with a couple of really bad defensive breakdowns on both sides.

Both goalies had strangely inconsistent nights - some really nice saves, but 9 goals between them.

As to a prior post about whether the Pens would "want" Malkin back in the lineup...well, yes sir, you really are a beginner hockey fan. One always wants Malkin in the lineup.

For as much love as the western teams are getting, I really think one of these two teams could make deep run. Just well put together top to bottom, with both starpower leadership and enough speed.

A very interesting game - really almost three games. First period had a nice balance of each team controlling possession, but had a strangely deliberate pace to it. Second period with a lot of back and forth a la a traditional pens/caps game. Third period was like watching Devils v. Devils c. 1980, except with a couple of really bad defensive breakdowns on both sides.

Both goalies had strangely inconsistent nights - some really nice saves, but 9 goals between them.

As to a prior post about whether the Pens would "want" Malkin back in the lineup...well, yes sir, you really are a beginner hockey fan. One always wants Malkin in the lineup.

For as much love as the western teams are getting, I really think one of these two teams could make deep run. Just well put together top to bottom, with both starpower leadership and enough speed.

I just don't know how to really evaluate Malkin. He seems Jekyll and Hyde to me. I see the skill, the power and he seems to have a wide possession radius with the puck. Then I see the boneheaded penalties, the puck hog possessions with no result on the end of it. It's like he likes to have the puck to have the puck. I don't know what to do with that.

Meanwhile I watch all this production up and down the lines like with Crosby not involved in scoring plays last night. It was such a great team win on a night where he wasn't heavily involved (i know he had an impact - especially the face-offs and he draws alot of attention from the D) and I wonder where Malkin really fits into the current equation. Luckily Sullivan is paid to make these decisions!

So exciting!

Anyone hear anything on Rodrigues?

I just don't know how to really evaluate Malkin. He seems Jekyll and Hyde to me. I see the skill, the power and he seems to have a wide possession radius with the puck. Then I see the boneheaded penalties, the puck hog possessions with no result on the end of it. It's like he likes to have the puck to have the puck. I don't know what to do with that.

Meanwhile I watch all this production up and down the lines like with Crosby not involved in scoring plays last night. It was such a great team win on a night where he wasn't heavily involved (i know he had an impact - especially the face-offs and he draws alot of attention from the D) and I wonder where Malkin really fits into the current equation. Luckily Sullivan is paid to make these decisions!

So exciting!

Anyone hear anything on Rodrigues?
When Malkin is motivated, he is amazing. When he isn't, he's a liability and mentally and physically checks out.

Win today puts pressure on Washington to win 2 in regulation and eliminated Boston from overtaking Pens.

Is there a worse commentator than Errey? He is brutal.

One example: Jake Guentzel gets rammed into the boards from behind near the end of the game. I'm immediately thinking the Pens have no one to end such non-sense again. Just wait for the playoffs and liberties will be taken.

Errey starts talking about how Crosby went in to protect Guentzel and had words with the Buffalo player. What? If Pens have to rely on Crosby to protect Guentzel, the Pens are in trouble.

Can't even listen to him anymore. Aside from stating the obvious, dude is in love with the team's equipment guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGLOV
Pretty amazing considering that the Pens goalie was making his first start and the Sabres dude was making just his fourth start..... first start ever last week at the age of 28 and a career in the minors.....and the game ends 1-zip. Pens goalie was the first Penguin goalie to have a shutout on his debut game. The Sabre goalie, from Youngstown, Oh and played in Wexford.....had a shutout, two one goal games, and one bad game of six goals in his four games......IIRC.

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13 and TheGLOV
Are YOU serious?

Letang is NOT having another phenomenal year!

Check his games played over the last several years.

Top-5 defenseman? Stop it Mrs. Letang!
Having a phenomenal year does not constitute checking games from other years. Look at his stats, look at the Pens record. Letang is having a phenomenal year - especially with the extra minutes he has had to log with all the injuries.

Congrats on the mme fellas. Your boys are playing really well down the stretch. Hopefully my caps can get healthy quickly as right now they look like an early exit.

Keep looking.

You'll find them

And, watching try to clear the puck and playing out of position is something you have sorely missed.

Tape don't lie.
As Bill Parcell said, “you are what your record says you are”...and Kris Letang’s record (statistics) says he is one of the best defenseman in the NHL. And it is very clear.

Marc-Andre Fleury......three Stanley Cups......eight time All Star selection......and now.........THIRD IN ALL TIME WINS FOR GOALIES!!! Behind only Martin Brodeur and Patrick Roy!

Yes, he should thank his oh-so-lucky stars for the players that played in front of him and could score goals for that!

Now, can you tell me just how many times he was actually on the ice representing Canada in the Olympics sir?

Or even played for Team Canada in any world-wide event? Please list his contributions.

:) ;) :)

It is a very nice honor.

As Bill Parcell said, “you are what your record says you are”...and Kris Letang’s record (statistics) says he is one of the best defenseman in the NHL. And it is very clear.

I am not the only one who does not agree with you here on this post but, since you did choose me to debate sir, 5.3% shooting percentage this year?

Please list the shooting percentages for the other Penguin defensemen for comparison.

Nothing else please.

No debate, comments, etc. Just what was previously asked.

Thank you.

I am not the only one who does not agree with you here on this post but, since you did choose me to debate sir, 5.3% shooting percentage this year?

Please list the shooting percentages for the other Penguin defensemen for comparison.

Nothing else please.

No debate, comments, etc. Just what was previously asked.

Thank you.
If you want to do the research on this very niche stat, I will be happy to comment. I don’t know what Conner McDavid’s shooting percentage either. I just know he is an incredible scorer who has added a very sold plus-minus to his resume this year. Games are decided by goals - both for and against. By that measure, Letang is having a fabulous year and has had a fabulous career. Mario has held on to him for a reason. Ole’ #66 knows a thing or two about hockey.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT