ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt to play spring game on the Gateway Clipper!

mikemauti42

Oct 6, 2012
On a slow news day, you can always count on Pitt for a good laugh. They are actually playing their spring game in Highmark Stadium home to the minor league soccer team, Riverhounds. Seats 3500. I guess Pine Richland high school had too much seating and would have looked bad when it was empty.

Originally posted by mikemauti42:

On a slow news day, you can always count on Pitt for a good laugh. They are actually playing their spring game in Highmark Stadium home to the minor league soccer team, Riverhounds. Seats 3500. I guess Pine Richland high school had too much seating and would have looked bad when it was empty.
3500?
laugh.r191677.gif

How many will they get for the spring game? 500? You know, with all that there is to do in Pittsburgh, they can't possibly get to the spring game. Duh.

i just don't get it. 3500 capacity? that's freakin embarrassing. i mean...are they going to actually invite recruits to this backyard flag football event? we'll be rockin 70-80k in Beaver Stadium, and they'll hope to fill a 3500 capacity minor league soccer venue? it's quite unbelievable (or maybe it's not).

The Yinzer Pitt fans love it, because they will be able to get drunk at Buckheads saloon prior to the game, forget there is a game, slurp 5 more beers while looking for the game on ESPN3 on their phone(Pitt's typical channel)

makes a nice photo if all seats are filled.

The bleacher seating is all on one side of the soccer field. If Pitt fans fill in those 3500 seats, some enterprising photog will make it look good for the uneducated eye.

I've never been to Highmark Stadium, it's new and nice

but only 3500 seats? Jeez. Cupples Stadium (home of all the Pittsburgh Public League high school games) is right down Carson Street and seats 8 grand.

The spring games are boss. Nothing else going on sports wise, here's a chance to drink some brews, go in for free, get some sun (hopefully), relax and get an early look at the guys. If you have any interest in your team, who wouldn't want to go to the spring game?

Re: I've never been to Highmark Stadium, it's new and nice

Baby steps, they are having a spring game this year...

Originally posted by 9fold:

3500?
laugh.r191677.gif

How many will they get for the spring game? 500? You know, with all that there is to do in Pittsburgh, they can't possibly get to the spring game. Duh.
You're right about that 9fold. Their game is on April 18th, same as ours. On that date it Pittsburgh, we have the following events, just to name a few:
1. Pirates play the Brewers
2. Pontus Lidberg Dance Company is at the Bynum
3. La Bayadere is at the Benedum
4. Tekko 2015 is at the Convention Center
5. Conservatory Dance Company is at Point Park

Relative to who wouldn't want to go to the spring game

At least from a Penn State standpoint, the students are the most lethargic when it comes to attending the Blue White game. The game usually draws 50,000 minimum and sometimes 60,000-70,000 on good weather days which are few in the spring. My guess is alums, family of alum, general fans account for 80% most of the time. The students don't like getting up early and when it's windy, raining and 45-50 degrees (normal BW game weather) they don't bother showing up, or come sometime in the 2nd half.

The good news is that James Franklin has moved the game to 4:00 pm this year and my bet is this will draw more students. If the weather is half-decent (60 degree range and no rain), then there is a chance we will see a record crowd of 80,000 + this year. He's made a comment that he'd like to see 100,000 at the Blue White game, but that is likely a few years away IMO.

Originally posted by Alphabets:
They are not setting a D1 standard. We need relegation like soccer. They are undeserving.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Actually, they are. Our attendance of 72K, which was second to Alabama, is not the norm. Michigan drew only 15,000. Some other random numbers include Illinois at 5,105... Minnesota at 5,000...Syracuse at 4,021...Baylor 3,750...Oklahoma State 2,500...Georgia Tech 1,500...Air Force 300. The numbers point, not to how bad Pitt is, but how extraordinary WE ARE!

Originally posted by fairgambit:
Originally posted by 9fold:

3500?
laugh.r191677.gif

You're right about that 9fold. Their game is on April 18th, same as ours. On that date it Pittsburgh, we have the following events, just to name a few:
1. Pirates play the Brewers
2. Pontus Lidberg Dance Company is at the Bynum
3. La Bayadere is at the Benedum
4. Tekko 2015 is at the Convention Center
5. Conservatory Dance Company is at Point Park
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Narduzzi doesn't seem to realize what he is in for.

The Gateway Clipper is much, much too big. Now, if they could get the Good Ship Lollipop, that might work.

Are the seats there yellow? That way it'll feel just like Heinz Field to the 5 fans that show up..

Originally posted by j30329:
Are the seats there yellow? That way it'll feel just like Heinz Field to the 5 fans that show up..
661389.jpg

Also having it on the same day that "We Are" is a HUGE mistake on Nerd-uzzi's part! Enjoy not getting any coveted recruits at your spring game!!!!!!!

Originally posted by cp4psu:

Also having it on the same day that "We Are" is a HUGE mistake on Nerd-uzzi's part! Enjoy not getting any coveted recruits at your spring game!!!!!!!
Hmm...70k-80k at Beaver Stadium or 500 at a minor-league field? Really tough choice.

Same day as us and OSU...

brilliant move my Nardoozle. I'm sure all the big time kids will bag on those 2 to go to a soccer stadium with 100 people in the stands. They may get a few stragglers who are tailgating for the pirate game to pop in and use the bathrooms.

Originally posted by Pitt is #1[/URL]:

Nitwits ripping on Pitt again!!!

https://bwi.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=36&tid=179409086&mid=179409086&sid=890&style=2

You would think starting almost exclusively 4* recruits. Having large fan support. An endless well of money from their fans. Paying a coach over $4M a season. THEY WOULD HAVE A BETTER RECORD THAN 6-6!
Hey genius, PSU ended the year 7-6 last season. Considering PSU plays in a tougher conference, was crippled by unjust sanctions and they only dropped 4 very close/winnable games (Illinois, Michigan, Maryland, OSU)... we'll take it! It was still a winning season, and It was worth every penny of Franklin's salary.

What was Pitt's final record in the much weaker ACC? 6-7? Another losing season? A record breaking bowl loss to a nobody? A blowout loss to Akron, who PSU easily beat? Every cent spent of Pitt football was wasted last season.

Originally posted by pandaczar12:

Originally posted by Pitt is #1[/URL]:

Nitwits ripping on Pitt again!!!

https://bwi.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=36&tid=179409086&mid=179409086&sid=890&style=2

You would think starting almost exclusively 4* recruits. Having large fan support. An endless well of money from their fans. Paying a coach over $4M a season. THEY WOULD HAVE A BETTER RECORD THAN 6-6!
Hey genius, PSU ended the year 7-6 last season. Considering PSU plays in a tougher conference, was crippled by unjust sanctions and they only dropped 4 very close/winnable games (Illinois, Michigan, Maryland, OSU)... we'll take it! It was still a winning season, and It was worth every penny of Franklin's salary.

What was Pitt's final record in the much weaker ACC? 6-7? Another losing season? A record breaking bowl loss to a nobody? A blowout loss to Akron, who PSU easily beat? Every cent spent of Pitt football was wasted last season.
I remain baffled by Pitt fans (whom apparently drool like Pavlov's Dog when anything bad happens to us) when they continue to point out our record last year. I mean yeah....we were not good! news flash! that being said....we had half a roster. is this in dispute? are you, the Pitt fan, saying the sanctions had 0 consequences to our roster? are you saying we had a normal sized roster like you guys? and with that normal sized roster, you had a worse record (ACC/Big Ten..whatever, let's call it even), got killed by Akron, ummm...the Georgia Tech game...that's all I say there, and finally.....somehow compeletely sh*t their bowl game away to HOUSTON...honestly, i still don't know how that happened.

I don't understand the stones being thrown.

one could argue, our 7-6 season ending in a nice bowl win with half a roster was....average at worst, good at best. Can you, the Pitt fan say the same about your season? of course not.

Common guys. Twenty some post concerning Pitt. Quit worrying about what Pitt is doing. Worry about getting to the level of the Ohio State's, Alabama's, etc. instead of stupid post about Pitt and their spring game.

Originally posted by UNCPSUFAN:
Common guys. Twenty some post concerning Pitt. Quit worrying about what Pitt is doing. Worry about getting to the level of the Ohio State's, Alabama's, etc. instead of stupid post about Pitt and their spring game.
I hear what you're saying, and I'll only speak for myself. I'm not "worried" about any other team. i'm only, i guess you would call it, worried about what we're doing. If the staff continues to recruit well, the roster will be replenished, and we'll be right back in the thick of it.

that being said, when I saw this post, i was shocked to hear that Pitt doesn't actually play in Heinz. i thought that was their recruiting tool, "hey, you can play where the Steelers play". so instead, they're going to invite recruits and their family to a minor league soccer venue. so...i engaged in the conversation. that's all.

then...someone posted the link from the Lair making fun of our record last year. I find that interesting, hence my reply. If an Ohio State fan ripped on our record, I'd be like...yeah, i know...we sucked. but a Pitt fan makes fun of our record, it's kinda of funny but mostly ironic based on everything i said.

no worries, man. It's March, we're bored, we're just talking.

"Originally posted by Pitt is #1"

roll.r191677.gif

#1 in what? Playing the most spring games at local 3rd tier soccer stadiums??

Gimme a break, this program is a dumpster fire. They all frothed at the mouth when the sanctions hit. They thought they actually had a chance at overcoming their big brother. But, as it usually does with sPitt, reality backhanded them right in their face and put them back in their place. They are nothing, never was, never will. Irrelevant nationally, and irrelevant in their own state. Real talk....Deal talk. As in, deal with it.

Why does it bother those so much who like to discuss the Pitt Penn State rivalry. Some of us may live in Pittsburgh and have many friends from Pittsburgh and actually enjoy a real rivalry game which we have not had for some time. Alot of in state rivalries are 1 sided, but that doesn't mean fans can't enjoy it. If you don't, simply ignore the thread.

As for Pitt fans, It is funny to see they talk about our 7-6 season as if it is something to be ashamed of during sanctions. They have had that record or worse for the past 4 years and can't hold onto a coach. Their current coach uses the same salesman approach they ripped Franklin for and they love it. The only problem is their coach is not as good at it and hasn't landed a recruit yet, plus he has never been a head coach. If he does not sell the program this year and have a successful year, then he is in trouble. He loses Connor and Boyd as Oklahoma st, Clemson, and Penn State come onto the schedule.

Having a laugh at their expense is in no way equal to "worrying" about them. Why would you even suggest that? Think of how the insecure/jealous Pitt fan will take your post... it would likely be misinterpreted as "they really do care about Pitt!" I'd take 20 posts making fun of them over one post like yours any day.

It's not being played at Heinz this year because Heinz is being renovated and unavailable.

Has Heinz been renovated every spring for the last 3-4 years?

Project is really taking a long time, eh?

Originally posted by PittFan97:

It's not being played at Heinz this year because Heinz is being renovated and unavailable.
And what are the reasons it hasn't been played there in past years? Or the reason it was not played at all?

It's one of those 18 year renovations apparently. That's cool then. Completely understandable.

It's not being played at Heinz because there would be 2000 fans in a 65000 seat stadium bottom line.

Pitt football is not being played this year because it is being renovated and unavailable. Renovations started in 1982.

NOT TRUE! EPA shut them down due to water pollution concerns!

Actually the Gateway Clipper would be great.....maybe it would sink and put their football team and handful of fans out of their' misery.

if you'd like a good laugh ready Capt Reilly's post on pantherlair. Talk about delusion and not being self aware of his own fanbase. He just explained, in his first sentence, the whole basis of the Pitt fanbases existence. I didn't read the rest because that guy is full of hot air and rambles. I'm sure most on pantherlair would agree.

https://pittsburgh.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=530&tid=211078733&mid=211078733&sid=996&style=2

Pantherliar

Did you see that "Pitt is #1" is "band" from this board? Apparently Pitt is not number one in grammar!

if you'd like a good laugh ready Capt Reilly's post on pantherlair. Talk about delusion and not being self aware of his own fanbase. He just explained, in his first sentence, the whole basis of the Pitt fanbases existence. I didn't read the rest because that guy is full of hot air and rambles. I'm sure most on pantherlair would agree.

https://pittsburgh.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=530&tid=211078733&mid=211078733&sid=996&style=2

He really is delusional, and is projecting Pitt behavior on us.

He apparently "knows" what happened with respect to Curley, Spanier, Schultz, and Paterno. I guess he will be testifying against them at their trial? But Paterno was never charged, and almost universally praised for his actions to help put Sandusky behind bars... So I wonder what he knows that Frank Fina and Bob Costas don't about Paterno? I really hope he posts some transcripts and makes the parts that he wants to bold, but doesn't bold all the qualifiers that make Paterno's non-cross examined testimony even more worthless. Oh wait, everything he posts is in bold... what is he compensating for?
Originally posted by Pitt-Chains:
42, what happens when we do play each other and the outcome isn't the one you wish ?

So like, PSU only wins by 4 touchdowns?

You just summed up Pitt football since 1982... just wait until next year. In 3 years you will hate the current coach and the new guy will be the one to take Pitt to the promised land!

Chris Peak is so weak. A Pitt fan posted in the thread that the reply to Penn State fans should be "Pitt players in the NFL" someone replied and said "What does that even mean Penn State has 25 players in the NFL and Pitt 12" That post apparently needed to be deleted. The funny part is I think a Pitt fan said it. Pitt fans always complain about getting banned over here, but I know for a fact no one would get banned or there post removed over something so factual.

Originally posted by PittFan97:

What was the excuse when it was played at a high-school field? I loved last year's excuse that it was canceled because the team was young.

Duh.

Originally posted by pandaczar12:
Having a laugh at their expense is in no way equal to "worrying" about them. Why would you even suggest that? Think of how the insecure/jealous Pitt fan will take your post... it would likely be misinterpreted as "they really do care about Pitt!" I'd take 20 posts making fun of them over one post like yours any day.
uncpsufan isn't very bright. Look at it this way: The pitters think we post about pitt because we are worried about them. We know that the pitters are idiots.

pitters try to trash Penn State with false narratives and wishful thinking. Penn Staters poke fun at pitt with factual information. Huge difference.

Some GEM responses on that Pitt thread

1. Pitt is #1 says "I can't respond directly because like everyone...I am band on their site." Probably plays the skin flute in the pitt band

2. Recruit..boards says "God forbid I measure my self worth by my willingness to attend sporting events." Has 19,332 posts on rivals however

3. Rpost writes "My woman's ex keeps leaving me fake bad reviews on Yelp, Google, and every other rating site he can find. So what." Hilariously off topic and yet fantastic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT