ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt played a helluva game. Hate to admit it.

They did play well...I don’t like to complain too much about officiating, but they got away with some ridiculous holds on many of their key plays, but they did come to play. Now they’ll turn around next game and get boat raced.

This game reminded me so, so, so much of the Michigan State stripeout game from last year.

Opponent completely overmatched talent-wise (and health-wise), but put together a very good gameplan and held our offense in check -- though our own playcalling probably contributed more to that than anything.

The key difference was, unlike Dantonio, Narduzzi isn't willing to pull the fake punts and other trickery. We got gashed on that crap last year.

Give credit to them.

Credit to the Pitt players, they played their tails off. Pickett was very good.

Felt for them a bit because their coaches likely lost them the game.

Reactions: anon_1eeb2b426hv3y
Pitt played much better than a 1-1 ACC team. They were prepared for everything that we threw at them Their DBs were good. I give Narduzzi credit for preparation, but he again sucked as a game coach.
So much for all the hype of beating Pitt by 30 or more ...

Anyone else see the Pitt D tackle showing Seans helmet into the ground at the bottom of a pile up in the 2nd quarter. Believe he may have even shoved his hand inside his face mask, was right before a timeout I think. I think they play dirty, but gave a hell of an effort today.

Reactions: odshowtime
Pitt played much better than a 1-1 ACC team. They were prepared for everything that we threw at them Their DBs were good. I give Narduzzi credit for preparation, but he again sucked as a game coach.

Please press cover.
Please show the same diversity of blitzes as Pitt did.
They had two DTs out , but imo played quite well.
Their QB played a terrific game.
Tough day for a number of Big Ten teams.
I believe this was our bad game — we’ll see.

Twyman was the best DT on the field today. Pitt's secondary is good with 2 4 star safeties and solid corners. Their LBs are ok, but would be weak if it wasn't for their 2 transfers who are starting. Pickett was starting his18th game and Clifford his 3rd and it showed today. I don't have any explanation for our lack of a pass rush and our poor OL play.

Anyone else see the Pitt D tackle showing Seans helmet into the ground at the bottom of a pile up in the 2nd quarter. Believe he may have even shoved his hand inside his face mask, was right before a timeout I think. I think they play dirty, but gave a hell of an effort today.
Give me a break. If you ever played football you would have an idea about what goes on in a game.

Twyman was the best DT on the field today. Pitt's secondary is good with 2 4 star safeties and solid corners. Their LBs are ok, but would be weak if it wasn't for their 2 transfers who are starting. Pickett was starting his18th game and Clifford his 3rd and it showed today. I don't have any explanation for our lack of a pass rush and our poor OL play.
Noah Cain sure did make the OL look better in his limited opportunities

I agree. Pitt played great today. Penn State had many opportunities to turn this game into an easy win but failed each time

The Hamler catch could have been a td but Pinnock slowed him a little. If it gets to 14-0, it’s a different game.

The 3rd and long screen pass gave Pitt momentum and confidence during the first play of the 2nd qtr. stop that and get the ball back and it’s probably a different game

I think Ricky rahne will keep every team in the game. He just has no clue how to call a game.

Much credit to Whipple and Pickett. I thought they were the reason this came down to the wire

As for Narduzzi, dumb decision on the 4th and goal. Otherwise, he gets his team to play above it’s head more often than not.

I didn’t watch the game yet. Had a company golf outing this afternoon. But I’m reading Twitter and seeing Shane Simmons’ mom call it the most poorly officiated game she’s ever seen. And Shaka Toney’s mom call them cheating a$$ refs. What happened?

Reactions: BarryPSU
CJF was also very upset w officiating (not sure why...... honestly)

Watching live, I didn’t think the game was particularly poorly officiated

But, I will say this:
The Pitt fumble..... that eventually awarded possession back to Pitt......
If you get a chance to watch (and LISTEN TO) the replay, you will know that PSU should have been given possession.

That was inexplicable.

Too busy to post full explanation now.
Rewatch a couple of Pitt’s key plays, there were blatant holds not called. On a couple of them I didn’t even get upset because I saw the obvious hold and figured they would get called back, but then they didn’t.

I didn’t watch the game yet. Had a company golf outing this afternoon. But I’m reading Twitter and seeing Shane Simmons’ mom call it the most poorly officiated game she’s ever seen. And Shaka Toney’s mom call them cheating a$$ refs. What happened?

At the game, it seemed like Pitt got all the questionable calls and the crowd was letting the officials hear about it all game.

The Chisena catch got brought back. Watching the game after getting home I see that it was the right call, but it was impossible to see the ball hit the turf on the stadium screens.

People were pissed about the kick catch interference but that looked like the right call to me at the time.

There was the fumble that our guys were saying we recovered but Pitt ended up keeping possession. After re-watching at home, I have no idea.

The Pitt catch by the pylon looked on the stadium replay like the ball was still moving when he touched the boundary. Watching at home I think they probably got it right.

The pass near the end where the clock ran out, but then they added time back on... I thought his forward progress gave him the first down and the officials handled it correctly, though first the clock was set to :05, then :06, then :09. Unfortunately they can’t stop blasting crap over the PA while the ref is talking so it was kind of baffling what was going on with the clock.

And I agree that there was definitely some uncalled holding at the end.

The holding was really bad. The worst no - call I saw was when Toney was tackled in the open on Pitt’s last drive on a critical 3rd down conversion. It was right in front of a ref.
But the refs weren’t calling holding today on anybody.

The pass near the end where the clock ran out, but then they added time back on... I thought his forward progress gave him the first down and the officials handled it correctly, though first the clock was set to :05, then :06, then :09. Unfortunately they can’t stop blasting crap over the PA while the ref is talking so it was kind of baffling what was going on with the clock.

^^^ This. Fire the PA system guy! :eek:

Reactions: FHSPSU67
That'll be tough for them, after losing this game, which they so badly wanted.

I remember 2 years after we beat them, their next game they got boat raced by Ok. St. That was the infamous "free beverage" and people sleeping in the stands game. Thinking their game with UCF has a similar potential.

Reactions: NJPSU and 83wuzme
I agree. Pitt played great today. Penn State had many opportunities to turn this game into an easy win but failed each time

The Hamler catch could have been a td but Pinnock slowed him a little. If it gets to 14-0, it’s a different game.

The 3rd and long screen pass gave Pitt momentum and confidence during the first play of the 2nd qtr. stop that and get the ball back and it’s probably a different game

I think Ricky rahne will keep every team in the game. He just has no clue how to call a game.

Much credit to Whipple and Pickett. I thought they were the reason this came down to the wire

As for Narduzzi, dumb decision on the 4th and goal. Otherwise, he gets his team to play above it’s head more often than not.
I couldn’t believe narduzzi was going to punt. Going for it was obvious. Great playcall after the TO.

The staff has to take the bye week to re-think its approaches on third down on offense, and third and fourth down on defense. Penn State was 0 of 3 on third-down attempts of nine yards or more and 1 of 3 on attempts of four yards or less. Meanwhile, Pitt was a ridiculous 4 of 9 on third-down plays of nine yards or longer and the Panthers converted all four of their fourth-down tries — one on fourth-and-12. There are a lot of nits you can pick with this staff coming out of this game. But to me, this stuff is the most glaring.--- from the 24/7 site
Yikes :eek:

Reactions: Madsol
The staff has to take the bye week to re-think its approaches on third down on offense, and third and fourth down on defense. Penn State was 0 of 3 on third-down attempts of nine yards or more and 1 of 3 on attempts of four yards or less. Meanwhile, Pitt was a ridiculous 4 of 9 on third-down plays of nine yards or longer and the Panthers converted all four of their fourth-down tries — one on fourth-and-12. There are a lot of nits you can pick with this staff coming out of this game. But to me, this stuff is the most glaring.--- from the 24/7 site
Yikes :eek:

Yes. Routinely giving up 3rd and longs on defense gets to where it almost feels like a turnover. I mean it's 3rd and 15 and you're already thinking about a Hamler punt return and what the offense might be able to do. And then boom, they convert and the drive keeps going. Have to believe it's a kick in the gut to the players.

He’s not named Math Narduzzi: :rolleyes: If there were a weekly award for a coach who makes the worst time and score decision, Pitt’s Pat Narduzzi would have wrapped it up by happy hour. Trailing 17-10 to Penn State, the Panthers mounted a 10-play drive that got them all the way down to the 1-yard line with 4:59 remaining. On fourth down in that situation given the entire set of circumstances, there is no choice — you go for it, every time. You go for it, that is, unless you’re Narduzzi, who decided to kick a 19-yard field goal, watched it clank off the upright and lost the game.

Sorry, but there’s no justification for kicking there. If you're trying to win the game, you trust your team to get a yard, tie it up and go from there. Cutting it to 17-13 that late in the clock does very little for your chances of winning. Narduzzi, however, still wouldn't admit that it was a bad decision.

“We could have gone for it there and not gotten it,” Narduzzi told reporters. “I thought if we kicked a field goal it’s a two-possession game. We need two scores. A field goal is a good play, then come back and score again … you need two scores anyway to win a football game.”

Beyond being factually inaccurate — you could, in fact, score a touchdown and go for two to take the lead — it’s bad strategy when your absolute best-case scenario with a field goal is getting the ball back with three minutes or so left and still needing a touchdown.

Narduzzi is just wrong and got what he deserved. ---- USA today

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT