ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt introduces the Chris Bickell '97 Head Football Coach

In honor of a very typical Pitt team. Finished 6-6, with lopsided losses to Penn State and Notre Dame. Big win against WVU in the backyard brawl 41-38, then a blowout loss to Southern Miss 41-7 in the Liberty Bowl. Officially Walt Harris, aka the ‘genius‘ was the head coach. 🤣

Pitt Panthers 1997 Schedule 12 Games​

• Glossary

Reactions: BobPSU92
You'd think if someone wanted to give $20 million to sPitt athletics, they'd put it towards a 35K on-campus stadium so they could stop paying rent.

Reactions: GulfCoastLion
You'd think if someone wanted to give $20 million to sPitt athletics, they'd put it towards a 35K on-campus stadium so they could stop paying rent.

But look at how playing at the ketchup bottle helps their recruiting.

Edit: After thinking about it....make that a 30K seat on-campus stadium.

Don't see the big deal over the name. Pat Fitz has a similar title at NU. So does David Shaw and 3-4 of his assistants at Stanford (okay they left out the year).

The majority of long term Pitt fans/alums wish the same. That boat sailed long ago with the commitment to The Big East basketball conference 🥴 and the ‘Pete’ complex replacing what could have been an updated/renovated/ Pitt Stadium. Now it’s mostly/many empty gold seats at Heinz Field, unless someone like Penn State, Notre Dame, or West Virginia is on the home schedule. Has Clemson played there yet ? That might draw 55,000 plus.

Don't see the big deal over the name. Pat Fitz has a similar title at NU. So does David Shaw and 3-4 of his assistants at Stanford (okay they left out the year).

The Foge Fazio Head Football Coach would bolster their recruiting.

Dear God the Pitt obsession around here is off the charts!

I think that some around here are chapped that none of the "big money" PSU alums have contributed anywhere near that sum to PSU football.

Or my old neighbor Carl DePasqua (who's son John went on to letter at PSU)...
Dave Hart is more deserving of the honor. Three consecutive seasons of 19. Too bad ASWP never considered him for AD.

The majority of long term Pitt fans/alums wish the same. That boat sailed long ago with the commitment to The Big East basketball conference 🥴 and the ‘Pete’ complex replacing what could have been an updated/renovated/ Pitt Stadium. Now it’s mostly/many empty gold seats at Heinz Field, unless someone like Penn State, Notre Dame, or West Virginia is on the home schedule. Has Clemson played there yet ? That might draw 55,000 plus.
Clemson plays there this season.

Unless Clemson brings a bunch of fans I’d be surprised if even that game sells out.

It really is a colossal waste of money to make this kind of donation to Pitt football. The program has absolutely no shot of being anything on the national stage again. Depending on how conference realignment plays out, Pitt could likely find itself in the AAC. Now given pitts current standing academically I would argue that the $20 million makes a lot more sense of it was given to the academic side.

So they likely get their token sellout. Maybe the vacant gold seats start appearing late 3rd quarter and into the 4th quarter

I think that some around here are chapped that none of the "big money" PSU alums have contributed anywhere near that sum to PSU football.
Yeah I am sure that is the reason.

I hadn't seen that, guess I'm missing the FC.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯​

Dear God the Pitt obsession around here is off the charts!
I'm hardly obsessed with Pitt, I find sponsoring the name of a coaching role rather ridiculous regardless of the school. This is the first time I've heard of that, apparently someone said other schools have done it as well.

I hadn't seen that, guess I'm missing the FC.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯​

I'm hardly obsessed with Pitt, I find sponsoring the name of a coaching role rather ridiculous regardless of the school. This is the first time I've heard of that, apparently someone said other schools have done it as well.
It really is asinine.

A better sponsor would be Cox cable or Sheetz, something close to a bad word.

It really is asinine.

Yes, very good word to describe it. A Job Title is descriptive of your role - to formally change a HC's Job Title from "University of Pittsburgh Head Football Coach" to "Chris Bickell '97 Head Football Coach" is beyond stupid.... Asinine is an appropriate description.

I think that ND has the Dick Corbett Head Football Coach
Stanford has the Bradford M. Freeman Director of Football
At Northwestern it's the Dan and Susan Jones Family Head Football Coach

Bickell is a rich eccentric guy. I'm been puzzled as to why he would throw $20million into the garbage can called pitt football. I think I may have figured it out. Bickell is an IT guy -- a numbers guy. His favorite number must be 5. With Narduzzi as coach pitt will always lose 5 games a year in spite of their cupcake schedule. Weird Bickell is willing to spend $20million to see his favorite number come up every year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT