ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt game

FurioGiunta

Oct 6, 2018
Howdy everyone from the city of sadness. Last time I was here, I think I made people mad by my criticism of Lamont Wade. Sometimes, we won’t see eye to eye.

First off, congrats on dominating yesterday. Some will say it was just Idaho, but scoring 79 is impressive no matter who you play. Looking ahead, I actually scored tickets for the Pitt-Penn State game in a couple of weeks with a fellow police officer. I was pumped just to be in that atmosphere, but after watching Kenny Pickett last night, I think I am just going to sell my ticket and go to D.P. Dough and stuff my face with a couple chicken Parma-zones. That would be infinitely better than watching Kenny Pickett suck.

Lots of Pitt fans calling for Narduzzi’s head. He’s just not a good coach. He had 2 8-4 seasons with Paul Chryst recruits, but that’s about it. I am actually hoping you beat us by 100 to expedite Narduzzi’s exit. At least we can hire another terrible assistant and give us 4 more years of false hope. Good day, Gents!

Howdy everyone from the city of sadness. Last time I was here, I think I made people mad by my criticism of Lamont Wade. Sometimes, we won’t see eye to eye.

First off, congrats on dominating yesterday. Some will say it was just Idaho, but scoring 79 is impressive no matter who you play. Looking ahead, I actually scored tickets for the Pitt-Penn State game in a couple of weeks with a fellow police officer. I was pumped just to be in that atmosphere, but after watching Kenny Pickett last night, I think I am just going to sell my ticket and go to D.P. Dough and stuff my face with a couple chicken Parma-zones. That would be infinitely better than watching Kenny Pickett suck.

Lots of Pitt fans calling for Narduzzi’s head. He’s just not a good coach. He had 2 8-4 seasons with Paul Chryst recruits, but that’s about it. I am actually hoping you beat us by 100 to expedite Narduzzi’s exit. At least we can hire another terrible assistant and give us 4 more years of false hope. Good day, Gents!

You hope we beat you by 100 points!? Poor Pitt to have fans like you.

My son went to Pitt for grad school and I like the City. I visit your boards. You have some of the most negative fans I have ever seen. I think you can still go 7-5 this year. I’m more optimistic about your year than 75 percent of your fans.

I do agree Narduzzi is out of his element as a head coach, mostly when it comes to recruiting and the public relations side of the job. I would not want him as the face of my program. However, I would never wish for losses to speed the exit of my coach.

Narduzzi’s teams play hard and are physical. Unfortunately he is a below average recruiter. He has been completely unable to bring in a quality QB prospect at this point. With the challenges at Pitt it is absolutely vital to have someone that has some charisma and prowess on the recruiting trail. You guys need to go after a young hotshot assistant like Josh Gattis or someone along those lines. IMHO it was a terrible decision to get rid of Wannstedt. I don’t think he was a good game day coach but he was a Pitt guy that was well liked and respected by PA high school coaches and could recruit much better than Narduzzi or Chryst.

This might be my favorite post of all time.

While Narduzzi's coaching ability is in question, his recruiting ability is terrible. The guy lacks any personality in order to sell Pitt football. You can't win with the level of talent he gets. Chris Peak tries to hype average players that Pitt lands calling them "top" kids. Narduzzi says he doesn't recruit "stars", he recruits "character". Bullshit. Check out Penn State's commitment lists each year and most have Pitt offers. Even the most delusional Pitt fans know that.

Personally, I hope he stays at Pitt forever. I love to watch his post game press conferences where he is stammering around to explain why Pitt lost.

By the way, Lamont Wade started yesterday and played a good game. How'd the Pitt secondary do?????

Narduzzi is the embodiment of the Peter Principal......getting promoted one level higher than one should ever attain.

Narduzzi is/was a good defensive coordinator, if he has players Pitt is a tough team to play, he just is not the high energy, go anywhere to get a player that Franklin is, and he is not the offensive guru that Syracuse now has.

Syracuse is a good rival for Pitt, there is no reason that Syracuse can do it with all of their handicaps......indoor stadium, lack of much success over the past 20 years, but they found an innovator and a good recruiter, who just so happened to be at an age where he really does not want to leave to go to bigger opportunities.

So Pitt needs to find a 55 year old offensive guru who wants to stay at Pitt for the rest of his career......just can't think of one.

Reactions: LemonEars
Bullshit. Check out Penn State's commitment lists each year and most have Pitt offers. Even the most delusional Pitt fans know that.
I might just have to disagree here. The term “delusional” generally is the inability to accept or more importantly to even see reality. Pitt fans live on a different planet and a different solar system than the rest of us.

Narduzzi’s teams play hard and are physical. Unfortunately he is a below average recruiter. He has been completely unable to bring in a quality QB prospect at this point. With the challenges at Pitt it is absolutely vital to have someone that has some charisma and prowess on the recruiting trail. You guys need to go after a young hotshot assistant like Josh Gattis or someone along those lines. IMHO it was a terrible decision to get rid of Wannstedt. I don’t think he was a good game day coach but he was a Pitt guy that was well liked and respected by PA high school coaches and could recruit much better than Narduzzi or Chryst.

I am still mystified as to why Pitt got rid of Wanny. He was nationally known and well respected and a Pittsburgh guy on top of that. Who did they think they were going to get instead? Dumb.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
Narduzzi is the embodiment of the Peter Principal......getting promoted one level higher than one should ever attain.

Narduzzi is/was a good defensive coordinator, if he has players Pitt is a tough team to play, he just is not the high energy, go anywhere to get a player that Franklin is, and he is not the offensive guru that Syracuse now has.

Syracuse is a good rival for Pitt, there is no reason that Syracuse can do it with all of their handicaps......indoor stadium, lack of much success over the past 20 years, but they found an innovator and a good recruiter, who just so happened to be at an age where he really does not want to leave to go to bigger opportunities.

So Pitt needs to find a 55 year old offensive guru who wants to stay at Pitt for the rest of his career......just can't think of one.
The perfect analogy to Narduzzi is former Pitt defensive coordinator, and later head coach, Foge Fazio. Fazio was a superb defensive coordinator on some outstanding Pitt teams under Jackie Sherrill. As a head coach, Fazio was a fail. Same story with Narduzzi. End of story.

I am still mystified as to why Pitt got rid of Wanny. He was nationally known and well respected and a Pittsburgh guy on top of that. Who did they think they were going to get instead? Dumb.

Quite possibly the dumbest move in history by a program that makes such moves yearly. Wanny was a good man. Not a smart man, not a great man, but a good man, and a heart and soul Pittsburgh guy. They are now seeing the results of that firing, and frankly, I don't think they will ever get back on track. .500 is pretty much their ceiling moving forward, unless the WPIAL returns to its glory days, which it will not.

Sadly it’s the way most structured organizations operate. Wanny I believe had a serious disagreement with Pitts then incompetent athletic director. The administration sided with the AD in fulfillment of Machiavelli’s principle of the system protecting itself. Unfortunately, if Franklin had a major public issue with Sandy I’m certain that James would be gone. Anyone want to support the BOT and defend them.

Might have been a good move then for JoMo instead of where he is now. Isn’t he also a Pittsburgh guy?

Reactions: PSU Soupy
Pitt survived for the last decade or so on recruiting one to two 4-star WPIAL recruits per year, and finding a handful of overlooked northeast recruits who turned out to be legit. PSU is now taking the top WPIAL guys, and Narduzzi has not been able to find the diamond in the rough playmakers on either side of the ball (Donald, Lewis, Conner, Henderson).

On top of that, Narduzzi has the personality of an overzealous gym teacher yelling at fat kids to try harder. There's enough recruiting challenges there that his personality won't compensate for. Trying to run a pro style offense with recruits in the bottom half of the ACC is a long-term recipe for disaster. VT, Miami and UNC aren't going to be down forever either.

Pitt's stuck with Narduzzi for at least 2 more years. After that, they need to go out and hire a younger, innovative offensive mind to scheme around the talent deficit.

The Penn State - pitt game result is already determined. Penn State has about 60 great athletes because of Franklin's recruiting prowess. pitt has about 10 decent athletes because Narduzzi is a humorless ogre and can't recruit decent players. The game might be close for a quarter until the few decent pitt kids get beat up and worn out. Then Penn State will dominate and win by as many as Franklin decides. That is the way it will go. Recruiting matters.

Reactions: ELDADDY

If the score on September 14th at 4 pm doesn’t get him fired, I think losing Elliott Donald to someone else will be Nardog’s death nail. I understand Elliott recently disclosed his top eight teams which of course includes 7 blue blood programs and Pitt. His comments about loving his visit to Happy Valley has to be very concerning for Pitt fans.

Yes, he is. Pittsburgh Central Catholic grad, as is Limegrower.

I think Pitt could hit a homerun with a guy like Mike Yurcich- QB/Passing game coordinator at tOSU. He was Offensive Coordinator at the Mike Gundy Mullet school for 5 years. Has some kick ass offensive numbers in that time. Harvard Mon River Campus Graduate (Cal U) 3 year starter at qb, from Ohio just across the boarder If I remember correctly. If Franklin were to exit for whatever reason I think this dude would be great for Penn State, let alone ASWP.

I think Pitt could hit a homerun with a guy like Mike Yurcich- QB/Passing game coordinator at tOSU. He was Offensive Coordinator at the Mike Gundy Mullet school for 5 years. Has some kick ass offensive numbers in that time. Harvard Mon River Campus Graduate (Cal U) 3 year starter at qb, from Ohio just across the boarder If I remember correctly. If Franklin were to exit for whatever reason I think this dude would be great for Penn State, let alone ASWP.

Thank you Mrs. Yurcich..

Pitt's stuck with Narduzzi for at least 2 more years. After that, they need to go out and hire a younger, innovative offensive mind to scheme around the talent deficit.

The problem with this scenario is that any young coach who achieves success at Pitt will be gone shortly thereafter. Pitt has become either a stepping stone for a good coach or a dead end for a poor one.

The problem with this scenario is that any young coach who achieves success at Pitt will be gone shortly thereafter. Pitt has become either a stepping stone for a good coach or a dead end for a poor one.
True. That is the case in both football and basketball.

While Narduzzi's coaching ability is in question, his recruiting ability is terrible. The guy lacks any personality in order to sell Pitt football. You can't win with the level of talent he gets. Chris Peak tries to hype average players that Pitt lands calling them "top" kids. Narduzzi says he doesn't recruit "stars", he recruits "character". Bullshit. Check out Penn State's commitment lists each year and most have Pitt offers. Even the most delusional Pitt fans know that.

Personally, I hope he stays at Pitt forever. I love to watch his post game press conferences where he is stammering around to explain why Pitt lost.

By the way, Lamont Wade started yesterday and played a good game. How'd the Pitt secondary do?????
FWIW Pitt’s secondary was alright, and the player they recruited when they missed on Wade, Paris Ford, looked to be the most impactful guy on the field. Anyways, Pitt just needs to stick with an identity. If they want to be RB Univ. then make that your identity and just pound the ball (like Wisconsin). They’re trying to pound a square peg into a round hole with Pickett throwing 40 times a game. Going to be a disaster year if pass happy is the identity they’re going for.

FWIW Pitt’s secondary was alright, and the player they recruited when they missed on Wade, Paris Ford, looked to be the most impactful guy on the field. Anyways, Pitt just needs to stick with an identity. If they want to be RB Univ. then make that your identity and just pound the ball (like Wisconsin). They’re trying to pound a square peg into a round hole with Pickett throwing 40 times a game. Going to be a disaster year if pass happy is the identity they’re going for.

Couple of things Paris Ford is good. But if Refs actually called PI like they are supposed to pitt's secondary would be far from "alright".
And I don't think pitts OL is going to be good enough to be either a pass or run offense.

Couple of things Paris Ford is good. But if Refs actually called PI like they are supposed to pitt's secondary would be far from "alright".
And I don't think pitts OL is going to be good enough to be either a pass or run offense.
Lack of offensive line recruits is starting to show. I wasn’t a Paul Chryst lover, but he knew how to recruit good linemen, and Narduzzi enjoyed those recruits his first few years.

Which is why they should have kept Wannstadt. He wasn't a world beater but he was doing pretty well and he was well known and well thought of. He was a head coach in the NFL for 10.5 years. At the time he was fired by Pitt he was 58 and had been at Pitt 6 years. If they let him stay he coaches until he's maybe 72, which means a 20 year stint at Pitt during which time they're probably fairly decent. I doubt he would have left because he wasn't a young hot shot with something to prove and plus it's his home area. And the mere fact that a guy stayed in the Pitt job for 20 years straight would have made it easier to get a good coach to go there after him.

I just looked up Pitt's history and other than Jock Sutherland from 1924-38, nobody has coached 10 years at Pitt.

I remember that I was shocked when they fired Wanny. What a stupid move!

I agree about the stepping stone, but you can’t be afraid to hire someone because they might eventually leave. You have to hire the best guy and let the chips fall where they may. If someone turns a program around it makes the job more attractive to the next guy.

Reactions: gregoryj95

You guys used to tell us that Narduzzi was the second coming. Did he change or were you wrong about him all along?

Reactions: pandaczar12
You guys used to tell us that Narduzzi was the second coming. Did he change or were you wrong about him all along?
I believe that you have your Biblical references confused. The Duzz is actually Moses leading Pitt out of the wilderness. To be fair we won’t know if he’s up to the job for another 35 years or so.

If the score on September 14th at 4 pm doesn’t get him fired, I think losing Elliott Donald to someone else will be Nardog’s death nail. I understand Elliott recently disclosed his top eight teams which of course includes 7 blue blood programs and Pitt. His comments about loving his visit to Happy Valley has to be very concerning for Pitt fans.

Most of the Pitt fans I know don’t even know who Elliot Donald is, let alone care to follow his comments. The fan base has entered a stage of apathy, which if you ask the Pirates, is the WORST place you can be.

Reactions: ELDADDY
One thing Chryst knows is OL.
If pitt doesn't get their OL figured out, its going to get ugly in 2 weeks.

Let’s be honest, the only reason we beat you in 16 was because of that Offensive Line that Chryst recruited. That and having the vision to turn Conner from a DE to a RB. Chryst may have been able to turn Pitt into a consistent 9 win team, I think he’s a damn good coach, but the personality of a potato.

Let’s be honest, the only reason we beat you in 16 was because of that Offensive Line that Chryst recruited. That and having the vision to turn Conner from a DE to a RB. Chryst may have been able to turn Pitt into a consistent 9 win team, I think he’s a damn good coach, but the personality of a potato.
What vegetable most resembles the Nard Dog's personality? After the Penn State game, I'm hoping that it's squash.

Pitt's AD gave Narduzzi a seven year extension before last season, so I highly doubt he is going anywwhere after this year no matter what the record. Pitt fans biggest problem is understanding what the programs ceiling is today and unrealistic expectations. It is not the 70's anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: Madsol
That ‘16 team had numerous NFL players on it; 3 of the 5 offensive linemen were drafted. This current roster? I bet 2 of them make the NFL and one has a torn ACL. That’s all due to recruiting probs.

Reactions: BBrown
Pitt needs an alum as coach. Should have kept Wanny. Any good coach they get will move on to bigger and better jobs. They need loyalty, so they need an alum. It’s not a good job in college football,,drawing 15k for a home game

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT