ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt Game Notes (from my perspective)

MoyerJones

Jan 5, 2015
Not that my thoughts matter any more than any one else's and feel free to opine, BUT:

The sky is not falling. This year looks very similar to 2016, which took 5 games to break in a young offense. Consider: (1) young-ish OL; (2) new sophomore QB; (3) lots of unknown talent as receivers; and (4) lots of hope in RB (Barkley vs. 4 RBs). Then also factor, better special teams and a better defense. And, most importantly, PSU has been fairly fortunate on the injury front from August through the first three games.

Additionally: For all of those on the #firerahne bus, take a pause. The major two problems for the offense are (in this order):

#1: execution: from wrong routes, QB play (timing, feet, reads, accuracy), RBs (#3 and #4) picking up blitzes

#1.5: OL...and this is an execution issue as well...just missing certain key blocks and blitzes – at times they look very good (Thorpe and Fries looked good on the right side when #21 was in)

You can go through each and every offensive play (as I did) by re-watching the game on YouTube and notice that nearly every unsuccessful play had some seemingly small player error (see #1 above). By my count, I only saw 3-4 plays out of (roughly) 60 that looked like questionable calls from the OC when discounting player error. (This was apparent to me in the Buffalo game as well, which is why I decided to re-watch the Pitt game).

So, don’t yet bring up Donovan – it’s not even close. I say "yet," because at some point player mistakes become a coaching problem if they are not overcome.

Now, some criticism or thoughts on the offense:

1. Shorter needs to be targeted more. At least two additional plays that were busted looked to be for Shorter, but it’s still not enough. Pitt was in press man and Rahne made little effort to put #6 out there on an island and throw deep to him – this needs to be done

2. RBs picking up blitzes is a serious issue and a drive-killer – hopefully (because Pitt threw a lot of unique blitz packages at PSU) the O will learn a lot from what Narduzzi threw at them

3. WRs are doing a great job blocking downfield

4. Not a fan of going into the tight 11 personnel formation late in the game

5. 12 personnel didn’t add much – would hope to see more 21 personnel

6. Great to see 12 and 81 on the field but there was at least one important series where #1, #5, and #6 were off the field due to needing a break where I’d want them on the field, no matter how tired they were

7. Pitt DL was gassed in the second half (rotation, rotation, rotation)

I didn’t watch the defense play-by-play in slow-motion/repeat like I did on the offense but:

It’s once again fairly obvious that Pry has a game plan and he does a good job at sticking to it. Stop the run, give up short yardage passes. This seems to be fairly well known by now. Pitt’s offense was basically: dink/dunk down the field with Pickett throwing to the area where the LB/Secondary pressure was coming from. E.g. if PSU blitzes the Will, then Pickett is throwing to that area. This was most of there success other than the 2 or 3 chunk plays.

A lot of people wonder why we can’t stop screens. It’s fairly simple. It's blitzing. On
3rd and 11, Pickett did an excellent job moving #6 away from the play with his eyes, which caused #6 to get jammed up on the screen play.

PSU also stopped a few.

Again, Pry ran a very vanilla base defense. You may see (in the next level of games) dropping a DE into the flat on 3rd and long. May also see (or at least I'd want to see) the safety jump the route (fill) for the blitzing LB.

But, Pry opted to stay conservative instead and PSU won.

Some Defense notes:

1. YGM looked flat. Would like to see his play count. Not sure if I’m a fan of him moving inside on 3rd and long (yet).

2. PSU moved to Nickel many times and early – which shows some confidence by Pry

3. Players who looked good (other than the usuals): Gordon, Luketa, Hansard

4. Pitt kept 6 and 7 home to block (similar to Buffalo) – this is cause for concern when it’s 4 vs 7 in pass defense – what are the safeties and LBs doing

5. DL need to get their hands up to bat down passes

6. Parsons is getting closer and closer (every game, closer) to meeting the RB at the LOS

7. Defense in general, but noticeably the safeties and the LBs do not look set/ready at snaps, still fumbling with their mouthpieces, etc. This is an issue.

8. Safeties look a step too deep and a step late – maybe Pry wants them there to only bend – #38 in particular looks a step behind on passing plays.

9. Still lots of rotations

10. I still continue to wonder why staff doesn’t use TOs to help the Defense. They seem reluctant to do so. Pry should have a guy who follows the on-field time for the defense and keeps him up to speed on when the D could use a breather and a reset on longer drives after 3 and outs for PSU’s O (particularly late in the second, and in the 3rd and 4th quarters on drives).

Other notes:

1. Sutherland is great on ST – he even lays people out away from the tackle

2. Some of the officiating mistakes that were complained of were not mistakes; HOWEVER, they were lazy. The only thing that the Middle Umpire did well in this game was helping CJ Thorpe up off the ground. He was getting in the way of PSU LBs a lot (and by a lot I mean at least 3-4 times). This is the same middle umpire that ignored #36’s TO call on 4th and 4, the same Middle Umpire who looked like he was helping Pitt get the ball back from #36 on the fumble, and the same Middle Umpire who helped tackle #21 on a run that would’ve likely gotten 5-10 more yards.

Not that my thoughts matter any more than any one else's and feel free to opine, BUT:

The sky is not falling. This year looks very similar to 2016, which took 5 games to break in a young offense. Consider: (1) young-ish OL; (2) new sophomore QB; (3) lots of unknown talent as receivers; and (4) lots of hope in RB (Barkley vs. 4 RBs). Then also factor, better special teams and a better defense. And, most importantly, PSU has been fairly fortunate on the injury front from August through the first three games.

Additionally: For all of those on the #firerahne bus, take a pause. The major two problems for the offense are (in this order):

#1: execution: from wrong routes, QB play (timing, feet, reads, accuracy), RBs (#3 and #4) picking up blitzes

#1.5: OL...and this is an execution issue as well...just missing certain key blocks and blitzes – at times they look very good (Thorpe and Fries looked good on the right side when #21 was in)

You can go through each and every offensive play (as I did) by re-watching the game on YouTube and notice that nearly every unsuccessful play had some seemingly small player error (see #1 above). By my count, I only saw 3-4 plays out of (roughly) 60 that looked like questionable calls from the OC when discounting player error. (This was apparent to me in the Buffalo game as well, which is why I decided to re-watch the Pitt game).

So, don’t yet bring up Donovan – it’s not even close. I say "yet," because at some point player mistakes become a coaching problem if they are not overcome.

1. Shorter needs to be targeted more. At least two additional plays that were busted looked to be for Shorter, but it’s still not enough. Pitt was in press man and Rahne made little effort to put #6 out there on an island and throw deep to him – this needs to be done

2. RBs picking up blitzes is a serious issue and a drive-killer – hopefully (because Pitt threw a lot of unique blitz packages at PSU) the O will learn a lot from what Narduzzi threw at them

6. Great to see 12 and 81 on the field but there was at least one important series where #1, #5, and #6 were off the field due to needing a break where I’d want them on the field, no matter how tired they were

I didn’t watch the defense play-by-play in slow-motion/repeat like I did on the offense but:

It’s once again fairly obvious that Pry has a game plan and he does a good job at sticking to it. Stop the run, give up short yardage passes. This seems to be fairly well known by now. Pitt’s offense was basically: dink/dunk down the field with Pickett throwing to the area where the LB/Secondary pressure was coming from. E.g. if PSU blitzes the Will, then Pickett is throwing to that area. This was most of there success other than the 2 or 3 chunk plays.

A lot of people wonder why we can’t stop screens. It’s fairly simple. It's blitzing. On
3rd and 11, Pickett did an excellent job moving #6 away from the play with his eyes, which caused #6 to get jammed up on the screen play.

PSU also stopped a few.

Again, Pry ran a very vanilla base defense. You may see (in the next level of games) dropping a DE into the flat on 3rd and long. May also see (or at least I'd want to see) the safety jump the route (fill) for the blitzing LB.

Some Defense notes:

1. YGM looked flat. Would like to see his play count. Not sure if I’m a fan of him moving inside on 3rd and long (yet).

2. PSU moved to Nickel many times and early – which shows some confidence by Pry

4. Pitt kept 6 and 7 home to block (similar to Buffalo) – this is cause for concern when it’s 4 vs 7 in pass defense – what are the safeties and LBs doing

6. Parsons is getting closer and closer (every game, closer) to meeting the RB at the LOS

7. Defense in general, but noticeably the safeties and the LBs do not look set/ready at snaps, still fumbling with their mouthpieces, etc. This is an issue.

8. Safeties look a step too deep and a step late – maybe Pry wants them there to only bend – #38 in particular looks a step behind on passing plays.

10. I still continue to wonder why staff doesn’t use TOs to help the Defense. They seem reluctant to do so. Pry should have a guy who follows the on-field time for the defense and keeps him up to speed on when the D could use a breather and a reset on longer drives after 3 and outs for PSU’s O (particularly late in the second, and in the 3rd and 4th quarters on drives).

Other notes:

2. Some of the officiating mistakes that were complained of were not mistakes; HOWEVER, they were lazy. The only thing that the Middle Umpire did well in this game was helping CJ Thorpe up off the ground. He was getting in the way of PSU LBs a lot (and by a lot I mean at least 3-4 times). This is the same middle umpire that ignored #36’s TO call on 4th and 4, the same Middle Umpire who looked like he was helping Pitt get the ball back from #36 on the fumble, and the same Middle Umpire who helped tackle #21 on a run that would’ve likely gotten 5-10 more yards.

That is one terrific post, IMO. You are both positive and critical w/o going off the deep end and calling for terminations. I enjoyed reading your comments.

Now, would you be willing to explain to an old timer like me some of your notes? :confused: I understand if you don't want to take the time to explain modern CFB to someone who still likes the Wishbone offense. ;) Just in case you say yes:

1. What does "11/12/21 personnel group" mean? QB & RB? QB & 2 RBs?

2. Rahne is so terribly disparaged on this board that I now questioning his skills as an OC, based on views by others much more football savvy than I am. Yours are the only real comments I have read that seem to give RR any credit or give someone like me hope that the offense will actually improve under his direction.

Do you feel that Rahne is simply unsuited to be an OC? Perhaps just not yet ready, but capable as the season goes on?

Anyway, thanks for posting your POV ... look forward to such analyses after each game.

PSU also stopped a few.

Some Defense notes:

Other notes:

Excellent post. More please.

PSU also stopped a few.

Some Defense notes:

Other notes:

Good summary of the game I just watched on a recorded basis (sans commercials etc)

As with EVERY TEAM in the nation, it's way too early to make 'later in the season' predictions. It takes several games to do that. September is for the pretenders. November is generally the evaluation of progress month.

Nothings much different this season -- except for the media-mites who have already declared a 3 SEC Team playoff.???

Reactions: MoyerJones
That is one terrific post, IMO. You are both positive and critical w/o going off the deep end and calling for terminations. I enjoyed reading your comments.

Now, would you be willing to explain to an old timer like me some of your notes? :confused: I understand if you don't want to take the time to explain modern CFB to someone who still likes the Wishbone offense. ;) Just in case you say yes:

2. Rahne is so terribly disparaged on this board that I now questioning his skills as an OC, based on views by others much more football savvy than I am. Yours are the only real comments I have read that seem to give RR any credit or give someone like me hope that the offense will actually improve under his direction.

Do you feel that Rahne is simply unsuited to be an OC? Perhaps just not yet ready, but capable as the season goes on?

Anyway, thanks for posting your POV ... look forward to such analyses after each game.

Agree - nice post! I believe he is referring to player numbers when he says 12 personnel or whomever.

PSU also stopped a few.

Some Defense notes:

Other notes:

Nice post.

Reactions: step.eng69

For #1 above:

Yes: for personnel numbers the first digit is the number of RBs and the second digit is the number of TEs

So if it is:
"11 personnel" there is 1 RB and 1 TE
"12 personnel" there is 1 RB and 2 TEs
"21 personnel" there is 2 RBs and 1 TE

(Take 5 minus the sum of the personnel # and you have the number of your WRs...usually. So if you have 11 personnel, it's 5-2=3WRs).

PSU is usually 11 personnel (1RB, 1TE, 3WR). CJF likes and has liked 12 personnel and getting Bowers back helps with this grouping. They have run some 21, but it has been very rare. You could see a noticeable change when Brown and Slade were on the field together in 21 personnel. The difficulty is always: if you make it 12 or 21 personnel, then you are removing one of KJ, Dotson, or Shorter. (For those who criticize the OC about not having a plan...when they were in 12, it didn't necessarily look like they were trying to capitalize on something they saw in matchups. For instance, was there a mismatch in covering the additional TE? If there was something they were trying to attack with 12 (other than utilizing the extra TE for run blocking...I didn't see it). FWIW, it's a good sign that the offense is showing 21 (2 RBs) for various reasons.

For #2 above: I would say that I'm honest enough to admit that I don't know. It's easy to just say, "it's RR's fault." So I just watched the replay (for way too long) and noticed that there are a ton of execution-al errors. #14 is still a work-in-progress. And that, to me, is fine, especially when PSU is 3-0. He's also thrown 0 interceptions. We could go back to 2016 and watch some of the early games and the head scratching decisions by Trace (including the Pitt game). It all looks very familiar. I just think the O needs some time to clear up some fundamental easy mistakes that are causing the end of drives. My "tale of the tape" tells me that it's not Rahne, but execution of fundamentals at this point. At some point, (e.g. drops last year by the WRs) it becomes a coaching problem, but PSU just isn't there yet. I'd also add that CJF in his press conference seems to hit all of the right notes on these issues.

Last edited:

PSU also stopped a few.

Some Defense notes:

Other notes:

The officials missed two targetings, three pass interference calls, two other personal fouls and multiple holding calls. Yep they were great.

I also noticed that the defense, especially the linebackers, were not ready at the snap. On several plays they were literally playing with their mouthpiece a second or so after the play started. It was a repeated issue and I cannot believe the coaches weren't noticing it. It's a small detail but it makes a difference. And you wonder if it impacted the LB's ability to get into the right zone coverage locations on time as Pitt was playing the quick pass game.

I also noticed that the defense, especially the linebackers, were not ready at the snap. On several plays they were literally playing with their mouthpiece a second or so after the play started. It was a repeated issue and I cannot believe the coaches weren't noticing it. It's a small detail but it makes a difference. And you wonder if it impacted the LB's ability to get into the right zone coverage locations on time as Pitt was playing the quick pass game.
Interesting post, maybe someone that has access to the game recording could shed some light on your concerns.

With regard to YGM looking flat, Neil Rudel of the Altoona Mirror said he had a concussion. Take this for what it’s worth because YGM was playing at the end of the game. That being said, I think he has not been 100% even before the Pitt game.

PSU also stopped a few.

Some Defense notes:

Other notes:

You hit the nail on the head when you said about a small player error leading to busted plays. In the Buffalo game, Hamler missed a key block that would’ve sprung a huge gain. Based on his reaction, he knew it too. Menet missed a LB block against Pitt, otherwise there was a huge hole created by the rest of the OL. Journey had some missed blitz pickups too. Hopefully he’ll learn through experience.

The officials missed two targetings, three pass interference calls, two other personal fouls and multiple holding calls. Yep they were great.
Missed holding calls? How could you say that?

bsn7g3r9krqfficouf6q

With regard to YGM looking flat, Neil Rudel of the Altoona Mirror said he had a concussion. Take this for what it’s worth because YGM was playing at the end of the game. That being said, I think he has not been 100% even before the Pitt game.

There is a shot on the TV broadcast of YGM on sideline being helped by staff where he looked very woosy. The staff knew the camera was there and tried to hide it but it is there.
Later the sideline reporter commented he spent time in medical tent but cwas ready to come back in.

PSU also stopped a few.

Some Defense notes:

Other notes:

Great post. Possible to get a breakdown like this after every game?

PSU also stopped a few.

Some Defense notes:

Other notes:

Great post. I'm not a fan of the RB rotation for this particular offensive unit. With an inexperienced QB, familiarity and cohesiveness in the backfield is more important than playing time for everyone (even if they are close in ability).

Being "positive and critical w/o going off the deep end and calling for terminations". I don't even understand what that means. :eek:

As to your first question, I believe Rahne adopted a formation we used against pitt on November 12, 1921. The point therefore being that it is no longer 1921. We need to be more modern in our formations.

For #1 above:

Yes: for personnel numbers the first digit is the number of RBs and the second digit is the number of TEs

So if it is:
"11 personnel" there is 1 RB and 1 TE
"12 personnel" there is 1 RB and 2 TEs
"21 personnel" there is 2 RBs and 1 TE

(Take 5 minus the sum of the personnel # and you have the number of your WRs...usually. So if you have 11 personnel, it's 5-2=3WRs).

PSU is usually 11 personnel (1RB, 1TE, 3WR). CJF likes and has liked 12 personnel and getting Bowers back helps with this grouping. They have run some 21, but it has been very rare. You could see a noticeable change when Brown and Slade were on the field together in 21 personnel. The difficulty is always: if you make it 12 or 21 personnel, then you are removing one of KJ, Dotson, or Shorter. (For those who criticize the OC about not having a plan...when they were in 12, it didn't necessarily look like they were trying to capitalize on something they saw in matchups. For instance, was there a mismatch in covering the additional TE? If there was something they were trying to attack with 12 (other than utilizing the extra TE for run blocking...I didn't see it). FWIW, it's a good sign that the offense is showing 21 (2 RBs) for various reasons.

For #2 above: I would say that I'm honest enough to admit that I don't know. It's easy to just say, "it's RR's fault." So I just watched the replay (for way too long) and noticed that there are a ton of execution-al errors. #14 is still a work-in-progress. And that, to me, is fine, especially when PSU is 3-0. He's also thrown 0 interceptions. We could go back to 2016 and watch some of the early games and the head scratching decisions by Trace (including the Pitt game). It all looks very familiar. I just think the O needs some time to clear up some fundamental easy mistakes that are causing the end of drives. My "tale of the tape" tells me that it's not Rahne, but execution of fundamentals at this point. At some point, (e.g. drops last year by the WRs) it becomes a coaching problem, but PSU just isn't there yet. I'd also add that CJF in his press conference seems to hit all of the right notes on these issues.

As much as I like football, it's a lot more interesting to know and understand the X's and O's and inside workings of the game. Your casual fan just wants to see their team run a successful play, I like to see how and why it did or didn't work.

Reactions: EPC FAN

It especially impacted their play when Jan Johnson leaves his spot to go to a ref and call TO and the ref ignores him. :mad:

As much as I like football, it's a lot more interesting to know and understand the X's and O's and inside workings of the game. Your casual fan just wants to see their team run a successful play, I like to see how and why it did or didn't work.

The BTN Football in 60 is nice for that. Being able to rewind, pause, run it in slow motion really shows how much you miss watching it live. It's one reason I don't understand how someone watching the game live can have so many critiques about plays, coaches and players. That's also why I like when people take the time to do screen shots and break down individual plays. Very eye opening.

Reactions: BBrown
The BTN Football in 60 is nice for that. Being able to rewind, pause, run it in slow motion really shows how much you miss watching it live. It's one reason I don't understand how someone watching the game live can have so many critiques about plays, coaches and players. That's also why I like when people take the time to do screen shots and break down individual plays. Very eye opening.

giphy.gif

Yea I fell into that trap after the game on Sat. I was sure the refs were wrong about the PI call on Reid. And while the call on Reid was wrong (it was Wade) the result was accurate.
But I maintain the ACC refs still sucked and were horrible.
The other thing full replay showed was how dirty the pitt players were in the pileups and on the sidelines.

giphy.gif

Yea I fell into that trap after the game on Sat. I was sure the refs were wrong about the PI call on Reid. And while the call on Reid was wrong (it was Wade) the result was accurate.
The other thing full replay showed was how dirty the pitt players were in the pileups and on the sidelines.

Wow. The Toy. I haven’t seen that movie in years.

“Why did you stop?”

“My dominoes just went down.”

As I said in another post after finally watching the game and seeing how Pitt's players acted throughout the game, Pat Narduzzi was right... Character always wins.

Reactions: BBrown and LionHoya
The offense having issues is why a player the caliber of Fleming is heading to OSU. There are too many schools playing on national TV each week that are lighting up the scoreboard for recruits not to take notice. PSU needs to get this offense figured out and do it fast. That's the reality of recruiting today.

The offense having issues is why a player the caliber of Fleming is heading to OSU. There are too many schools playing on national TV each week that are lighting up the scoreboard for recruits not to take notice. PSU needs to get this offense figured out and do it fast. That's the reality of recruiting today.

LOL

79 and 45 weren’t enough for you???
No offense does it every week. Just ask Michigan State.

79 and 45 weren’t enough for you???
No offense does it every week. Just ask Michigan State.

Using the 79 they put up against Idaho is a joke. Liberty who is currently 1-2 put up 35 on Buffalo. Michigan State is not known for being an offensive juggernaut so I'm unsure why you bring them up.

Reactions: BBrown
Using Idaho as a measuring stick is probably the wrong way to go, MSU and Rutgers likely put up 50 on them. Easily the worst team we ever played.

PSU also stopped a few.

Some Defense notes:

Other notes:

Great analysis. I echo the Oline not being as bad as people think. Running backs blocked poorly on pass plays, miss reads by QB made running game look worse than it was.

I completely agree on this one. The backs were terrible Saturday. On a couple of plays it actually looked like the back was afraid to stick his nose in there and hit the blitzing LB. We were spoiled by Barkley. It was one of his many strengths.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT