ADVERTISEMENT

Sports Illustrated about to fold?

Yes, the licensing agreement is the main part But the digital aspect of magazines and newspapers today as well as hiring reporters that are not nearly as good And going woke, especially with the swimsuit edition All helped escalate the downfall

Yes, the licensing agreement is the main part But the digital aspect of magazines and newspapers today as well as hiring reporters that are not nearly as good And going woke, especially with the swimsuit edition All helped escalate the downfall
Bahaha... The market at work and you relics call it going woke.... You will pull that word out your ass for anything.

Bahaha... The market at work and you relics call it going woke.... You will pull that word out your ass for anything.
I am independent and vote for both parties depending on the candidate. I think you have to admit that bison13 is right - the market you cite probably does not prefer trans swimsuit models. I think the publication in its efforts to appear virtuous and inclusive moved so far away from its customer base that considering all other factors it was doomed to fail. I wish that both lefty and righty politics were kept out of sports.

I haven't looked at an SI since the 90s I don't believe. They could have already been out of business AFAIC. Not that I am any metric of concern.

Reactions: Ski and bison13
I am independent and vote for both parties depending on the candidate. I think you have to admit that bison13 is right - the market you cite probably does not prefer trans swimsuit models. I think the publication in its efforts to appear virtuous and inclusive moved so far away from its customer base that considering all other factors it was doomed to fail. I wish that both lefty and righty politics were kept out of sports.
Yep, their market is….was teenage and twenty yr old men that dreamed of sports.

Read it for years, or more accurately read it regularly from about 1960 to early 2000's. My Dad read it right from the start in 1954, and I still have the first 5 issues.

Had the best photography and the best writers. Some great features like Sportsman of the Year and Swimsuit issue.

s-l1600.jpg

But they did not have the latest news, etc. and other forms of sports media like ESPN came on board. Just a sign of the times changing.

you mean they didn't sell out the trans swim suit issue??

The iconic sports magazine may be history. Failed to pay licensing agreement and is laying off almost entire staff.

It's not complicated. Ink on paper supported by advertising is very nearly gone. The few print magazines left are in their death throes. Major newspapers are either gone, almost gone, or supported by wealthy owners or foundations willing to subsidize them. SI like every magazine did what it could to try to appeal to a wider (younger, nonwhite, female) readership (anybody other than boomer white men, who are rapidly dying off) but it doesn't matter, advertisers know there's no future in print.

Last edited:
It's not complicated. Ink on paper supported by advertising is very nearly gone. The few print magazines left are in their death throws. Major newspapers are either gone, almost gone, or supported by wealthy ownes or foundations willing to subsidize them. SI like every magazine did what it could to try to appeal to a wider readership (anybody other than boomer white men, who are rapidly dying off) but it doesn't matter, advertisers know there's no future in print.
50 years from now there will hardly be a person alive that knows what a hard copy magazine even is. I'm being serious.

50 years from now there will hardly be a person alive that knows what a hard copy magazine even is. I'm being serious.
maybe 30. My grandkids will never know. Which is pretty amazing, print periodicals have been around since the 1700s. That is an incredibly big change in our lifetime. Would the USA have been created or sustained without people reading mass-circulation publications? Will it survive now with algorithms feeding clickbait or rage content to most people -- instead of editors deciding what's fit to print? I'm not optimistic. As dramatic as the social change of the last 10 years, I suspect the biggest change to human civilization is still coming and it could be as early as 8 months from now, and I don't think most people will like what's coming.

I just said the same thing a few days ago. The NFL seems to think they are a social beacon for society or whatever you want to call it. This week "Be Love" on helmets and in the end zone. Last week it was, cant remember exactly. It began with Colin Kaperdick, then rainbows and now...

SI still had a quality stable of writers until about 6-7 years ago. Well removed from their best days, but solid sports journalism still existed there. Lately, they were bought by one of those shell media companies that buy a name and churn out god awful content by randos that get paid $25 a story. They were even caught using AI generated stories a few months ago.

SI, like all media, is the middle man. Today, we have the carrier (high speed Internet) and content providers. The networks and publishers were the middle men, providing a brand and marketing.

Today, content is sent directly to the consumer via Twitter, YouTube, Reddit, etc.

A lot of once big and great companies are taking the pipe in the next few years

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT