ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt fans say the darndest things

PED fueled Lair boasting has reached a fever pitch. They are stopping just short of claiming another NC this season. Unequivocally stating that the talent gap between Wisky and Pitt is "minimal" and Nardouche is a cut above Chryst as a coach. The only difference according to Lair experts is Pitt's difficult schedule.

Reactions: Hotshoe
PED fueled Lair boasting has reached a fever pitch. They are stopping just short of claiming another NC this season. Unequivocally stating that the talent gap between Wisky and Pitt is "minimal" and Nardouche is a cut above Chryst as a coach. The only difference according to Lair experts is Pitt's difficult schedule.
The delusion over there is at an all time high. Remember these? Franklin sucks, can't coach. Barkley sucks, he's nobody. Moorehead is no one. He's from where? Well, we'll see what they do without their savior Barkley. They'll do nothing with a new OC. I forgot. Who's McSorley? Mister 50/50 ball. We'll kill him. So overrated. Pickett is so much better than Trace. I could go on for days with those dipsh$ts. Highly doubt someone returns here. He's too busy poofing up his own bullsh$t.

The delusion over there is at an all time high. Remember these? Franklin sucks, can't coach. Barkley sucks, he's nobody. Moorehead is no one. He's from where? Well, we'll see what they do without their savior Barkley. They'll do nothing with a new OC. I forgot. Who's McSorley? Mister 50/50 ball. We'll kill him. So overrated. Pickett is so much better than Trace. I could go on for days with those dipsh$ts. Highly doubt someone returns here. He's too busy poofing up his own bullsh$t.
And after we thrash them this year, next year they will say they’re going to win because we lose Trace.

On what planet does Pitt get 40k per game? You need an on campus stadium. It’s killed your program and turned even “realistic” fans into mental contortionists. There were 20k max at Oklahoma State and half of them were asleep. Can’t wait to stop subsidizing your failing program.

During the Okie St game, did the sleeping Pitt fans wake up in time to redeem their free beverages ?

Reactions: nittany dave
And after we thrash them this year, next year they will say they’re going to win because we lose Trace.
And every year after that they’ll say their soon-to-be 6-6 or 4-8 squad would easily beat PSU except we’re afraid to play them. Lord help us if they get another National Championship by starting off a fluky 4-0. Sigh. Soooo predictable.

Dokish is my favorite. Go look at his recent tweets the past several days as well, "he doesn't care about PSU" *20 tweets in a row on how James Franklin is an overrated coach*

Reactions: furfoot

Dokish is my favorite. Go look at his recent tweets the past several days as well, "he doesn't care about PSU" *20 tweets in a row on how James Franklin is an overrated coach*
Chris can be hilarious when he describes Pitt players.
Tight end is his favorite -
NFL baby!
A former No. 1 tight end prospect in the country, Clark initially committed to North Carolina, then flipped to Michigan, before finally flipping one more time to UCLA. He ended up contracting mononucleosis before his freshman season, and wasn't completely healthy for the start of the year. UCLA played him in the first game anyway, then Clark decided to transfer. But because he played in that one game he had to sit out a year wherever he transferred. He attempted first to go to Syracuse, but that fell through. Eventually he ended up at Pitt, where he appealed that he should not have to sit out a year, but he failed to convince the NCAA.

If all of that wasn't enough, once Clark got to Pitt, he was hurt in the spring, then hurt his knee over the summer. So not only did he not get to practice at UCLA because he had mono, he couldn't practice at Pitt because of injuries. Because of this he played in just one game in his first two years, and he barely go to practice at all.

But now Clark is more mature mentally, and he also has had one year of playing under his belt. After he committed to Pitt, he and I would have some conversations, and he was really upset that he got the reputation as a flake. But he understood why he had that stigma, and he knew he wanted to change it. And since he's been at Pitt, he has changed it. He's now entering his third season in the program and in the first two years his attitude and work ethic have been exemplary.

Clark will be 23 years old early next season and because of his excellent physical skills he no doubt is thinking of the NFL. With a big season he could not only enter the NFL draft early as a high draft choice, but also erase all of the negative talk that has dogged him over the last four years.

I couldn’t name a favorite. There’s just too much comedy gold on the Lair to select one.

Here's one:

RaleighPittFan Freshman

Franklin learned something very basic from Narduzzi the first time they met as head coaches - that the defense was allowed to make non verbal calls.

I would call a high school coach inept, if he didn't know that.

Reactions: odshowtime
Here's one:

RaleighPittFan Freshman

Franklin learned something very basic from Narduzzi the first time they met as head coaches - that the defense was allowed to make non verbal calls.

He's making a slightly different point, and in fairness Pitt fans do have something to laugh about here. In the 2016 game, PSU was using a clap count instead of a cadence or silent snap, and the Pitt defense was well-coached to push the boundary - they were clapping like Pitt fans visiting the symphony on a Saturday afternoon. Ok, not really, it was one guy making one loud clap to simulate McSorley starting the play.

It's kinda dirty pool, but certain teams will try this until they get warned to cut it out. Narduzzi did it while D-coordinator at MSU as well. If the officials choose to say something, it'll be 5 yard penalties on the defense after the warning, but in 2016 they let it go. It can be kind of a gray area because there's a plausible deniability when someone is doing it, and it's a judgment call on the part off the officials.

PSU adjusted and it had a limited impact on the game, but it did have some impact and better yet the Dooz got under Franklin's skin a little bit. One more reason that I had forgotten about for why James is gonna step on Pat's neck in September.

Reactions: GregInPitt
@HailToPitt725 and other Pitt fans....

When your season turns into an absolute disaster this year, look in the mirror and repeat this

- I thought we were going to be good even though we were counting on a WR transfer that was a backup at Indiana

- I thought we were going to be good even though we were counting on a true freshman receiver ranked as 85th best in his class

- I thought we were going to be good because of our secondary even though they ranked 106th in the nation last year and lost its 2 best players

- I thought we were going to be good despite our offensive line, which sucked last year, consisting of players who could not beat our those who sucked last year

I thought we were going to be good with Shane Roy starting on the Dline

I thought were were going to be good with Shawn Watson as our offensive coordinator

Then, just laugh at yourself

Here's one:

RaleighPittFan Freshman

It is illegal to do anything to simulate the snap signal, whether that is verbal or non-verbal. Just as though you cannot have a defensive audible called "Hike" or "Hut" or "Go", you cannot clap if that is part of the cadence.

Now if the offense isn't clapping, then the defense is allowed to. Just as if the QB always says "Hike", the defense would be allowed to say "Go".

So Narduzzi was wrong here, but the refs somehow let them get away with it.

Oh well when you have won 57 National Championships it just stands to reason that you have multiple National Championship type fans.

Reactions: diggerpup
Chris can be hilarious when he describes Pitt players.
Tight end is his favorite -
NFL baby!
A former No. 1 tight end prospect in the country, Clark initially committed to North Carolina, then flipped to Michigan, before finally flipping one more time to UCLA. He ended up contracting mononucleosis before his freshman season, and wasn't completely healthy for the start of the year. UCLA played him in the first game anyway, then Clark decided to transfer. But because he played in that one game he had to sit out a year wherever he transferred. He attempted first to go to Syracuse, but that fell through. Eventually he ended up at Pitt, where he appealed that he should not have to sit out a year, but he failed to convince the NCAA.

If all of that wasn't enough, once Clark got to Pitt, he was hurt in the spring, then hurt his knee over the summer. So not only did he not get to practice at UCLA because he had mono, he couldn't practice at Pitt because of injuries. Because of this he played in just one game in his first two years, and he barely go to practice at all.

But now Clark is more mature mentally, and he also has had one year of playing under his belt. After he committed to Pitt, he and I would have some conversations, and he was really upset that he got the reputation as a flake. But he understood why he had that stigma, and he knew he wanted to change it. And since he's been at Pitt, he has changed it. He's now entering his third season in the program and in the first two years his attitude and work ethic have been exemplary.

Clark will be 23 years old early next season and because of his excellent physical skills he no doubt is thinking of the NFL. With a big season he could not only enter the NFL draft early as a high draft choice, but also erase all of the negative talk that has dogged him over the last four years.
Chris Clark isn't even on Pitt's team this year,he quit!

I couldn’t name a favorite. There’s just too much comedy gold on the Lair to select one.

25354021_2024906170869810_6321407662336018844_n.jpg

He's making a slightly different point, and in fairness Pitt fans do have something to laugh about here. In the 2016 game, PSU was using a clap count instead of a cadence or silent snap, and the Pitt defense was well-coached to push the boundary - they were clapping like Pitt fans visiting the symphony on a Saturday afternoon. Ok, not really, it was one guy making one loud clap to simulate McSorley starting the play.

It's kinda dirty pool, but certain teams will try this until they get warned to cut it out. Narduzzi did it while D-coordinator at MSU as well. If the officials choose to say something, it'll be 5 yard penalties on the defense after the warning, but in 2016 they let it go. It can be kind of a gray area because there's a plausible deniability when someone is doing it, and it's a judgment call on the part off the officials.

PSU adjusted and it had a limited impact on the game, but it did have some impact and better yet the Dooz got under Franklin's skin a little bit. One more reason that I had forgotten about for why James is gonna step on Pat's neck in September.
Panthers expect to have some new wrinkles this year.
Last season, Pitt didn’t have a 1,000-yard rusher or receiver, and top passer Ben DiNucci just eclipsed that benchmark (1,091 yards) before being benched for Kenny Pickett for the season finale.

DC Watson plans to put his signature on Pitt this year, with a script he believes will be well served by the addition of Borbely as offensive line coach. They won three Big 12 North titles together at Colorado from 2002-05 and went 23-3 together at Louisville from ’12-13.

“Absolutely,” Watson said. “I’m looking forward to it. I think the coaches know what my thoughts are, in terms of philosophy and expectations. Having Dave Borbely here with me is huge because he’s been in such a big part of my career as line coach. He and I think alike in a lot of different ways, so, without giving away the family secrets, we’ll be able to expand on what we’ve done here and add our twist to it.”

That philosophy starts with running the ball, something the Panthers didn’t do effectively or consistently last season. Pitt returns senior running backs Darrin Hall and Qadree Ollison, who combined for 1,026 yards and 14 touchdowns. Fullback George Aston, who scored 10 touchdowns in 2016, is healthy and should provide a major boost.

Watson also wants to balance the offense with the pass, and sophomore quarterback Kenny Pickett gave a glimpse that he can be a dangerous dual threat in the upset of No. 2 Miami in the finale. No wonder Watson has compared Pickett to Teddy Bridgewater, the former first-round pick out of Louisville who plays for the N.Y. Jets.

The bigger question: Who will be Pickett’s favorite targets? Senior Rafael Araujo-Lopes is the top returning receiver with 43 catches for 531 yards and two touchdowns, but Clairton graduate Aaron Matthews and Indiana transfer Taysir Mack could emerge as big-play threats.

The biggest question is up front, where Borbely inherits an offensive line that returns starters in center Jimmy Morrissey and right tackle Alex Bookser but will have new starters at both guard spots and Kent State transfer Stefano Millin at left tackle.

Now that Watson and Borbely are together again and back in their element, they have to convince their players that their zone-blocking system will work. More importantly, they need to sell the Panthers on learning and understanding the offense and having confidence in it.

Supposedly, it looks just like a chorus line.

That’s the comparison Bookser makes in talking about how the offensive linemen are supposed to be in sync from the snap. And Bookser should know, considering he was among the Pitt players who went to Radio City Music Hall the week of the Pinstripe Bowl two years ago.

“When you watch the film and everybody looks the same in the line, Coach Borbs calls it looking like the Rockettes,” Bookser said. “Right then, you can tell a half-second into the play.”

Pitt has to hope it can start high-stepping before halfway through the season, which is what it took for Watson to install his own elements last year. The Panthers struggled from the start, needing overtime to beat Youngstown State in the opener and couldn’t score from the 1-yard line in their penultimate game at Virginia Tech. Yet, the one word I kept hearing from Pitt players about Watson’s new offense was “explosive.”

There is plenty of potential but even more to prove for Pitt’s play-caller, who hopes that no one recognizes his offense again this season — except for his offensive line coach.

Panthers expect to have some new wrinkles this year.
Last season, Pitt didn’t have a 1,000-yard rusher or receiver, and top passer Ben DiNucci just eclipsed that benchmark (1,091 yards) before being benched for Kenny Pickett for the season finale.

DC Watson plans to put his signature on Pitt this year, with a script he believes will be well served by the addition of Borbely as offensive line coach. They won three Big 12 North titles together at Colorado from 2002-05 and went 23-3 together at Louisville from ’12-13.

“Absolutely,” Watson said. “I’m looking forward to it. I think the coaches know what my thoughts are, in terms of philosophy and expectations. Having Dave Borbely here with me is huge because he’s been in such a big part of my career as line coach. He and I think alike in a lot of different ways, so, without giving away the family secrets, we’ll be able to expand on what we’ve done here and add our twist to it.”

That philosophy starts with running the ball, something the Panthers didn’t do effectively or consistently last season. Pitt returns senior running backs Darrin Hall and Qadree Ollison, who combined for 1,026 yards and 14 touchdowns. Fullback George Aston, who scored 10 touchdowns in 2016, is healthy and should provide a major boost.

Watson also wants to balance the offense with the pass, and sophomore quarterback Kenny Pickett gave a glimpse that he can be a dangerous dual threat in the upset of No. 2 Miami in the finale. No wonder Watson has compared Pickett to Teddy Bridgewater, the former first-round pick out of Louisville who plays for the N.Y. Jets.

The bigger question: Who will be Pickett’s favorite targets? Senior Rafael Araujo-Lopes is the top returning receiver with 43 catches for 531 yards and two touchdowns, but Clairton graduate Aaron Matthews and Indiana transfer Taysir Mack could emerge as big-play threats.

The biggest question is up front, where Borbely inherits an offensive line that returns starters in center Jimmy Morrissey and right tackle Alex Bookser but will have new starters at both guard spots and Kent State transfer Stefano Millin at left tackle.

Now that Watson and Borbely are together again and back in their element, they have to convince their players that their zone-blocking system will work. More importantly, they need to sell the Panthers on learning and understanding the offense and having confidence in it.

Supposedly, it looks just like a chorus line.

That’s the comparison Bookser makes in talking about how the offensive linemen are supposed to be in sync from the snap. And Bookser should know, considering he was among the Pitt players who went to Radio City Music Hall the week of the Pinstripe Bowl two years ago.

“When you watch the film and everybody looks the same in the line, Coach Borbs calls it looking like the Rockettes,” Bookser said. “Right then, you can tell a half-second into the play.”

Pitt has to hope it can start high-stepping before halfway through the season, which is what it took for Watson to install his own elements last year. The Panthers struggled from the start, needing overtime to beat Youngstown State in the opener and couldn’t score from the 1-yard line in their penultimate game at Virginia Tech. Yet, the one word I kept hearing from Pitt players about Watson’s new offense was “explosive.”

There is plenty of potential but even more to prove for Pitt’s play-caller, who hopes that no one recognizes his offense again this season — except for his offensive line coach.
Thanks, Golic! Good read. Could the writer have been any more clear that he was writing about a probable 6-6 team without just coming out and saying it?

Thanks Baghdad Bob and when may we expect the next scintillating report on PITT two stars that will be 2 time All Americans and first round draft choices.

Wow, "Baghdad Bob" was about the funniest thing I ever heard on radio. But some of this over the top made up optimism on pitt is almost as entertaining!!

This is Duzzy at half time of the game PSU is playing against Akron on September 8, 2018:

Pitt fans wish upon 2 stars
makes no difference who they are
If your heart is in your dreams
no request is too extreme
when you wish upon 2 stars
as dreamers do

Reactions: gregoryj95
Here's an email us season tickets holders got today: Priceless.

Coach Narduzzi and the Panthers are only two weeks away from kicking off the 2018 season at Heinz Field. At this point, you should have received your tickets, or they are in the process of being mailed out via UPS. If you ordered any additional Penn State single game tickets, you will receive those separately. If you ordered any away game tickets, those will be mailed two weeks prior to the respective away game. Should there be any issues with your tickets, please do not hesitate to call the Panthers Ticket Office at 1-800-643-7488.

I am contacting you today because I need your help. With our Penn State game sold out as we look to repeat our 2016 victory, we have five other home games that we are trying to provide the best possible experience for our student-athletes at Heinz Field.

How familiar are you with our exclusive opportunities that allow youth groups from all over to participate in on-field experiences?

In addition to Jr. Panthers Days, we have theme days for Band, Spirit, Youth Football, Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts, as well as a Battle of the Badges. What organizations are you associated with that would benefit from a group outing at Heinz Field?

I mean, if the Battle of the Badges can't sell the place out, nothing will.

Reactions: krichards
Here's an email us season tickets holders got today: Priceless.

Coach Narduzzi and the Panthers are only two weeks away from kicking off the 2018 season at Heinz Field. At this point, you should have received your tickets, or they are in the process of being mailed out via UPS. If you ordered any additional Penn State single game tickets, you will receive those separately. If you ordered any away game tickets, those will be mailed two weeks prior to the respective away game. Should there be any issues with your tickets, please do not hesitate to call the Panthers Ticket Office at 1-800-643-7488.

I am contacting you today because I need your help. With our Penn State game sold out as we look to repeat our 2016 victory, we have five other home games that we are trying to provide the best possible experience for our student-athletes at Heinz Field.

How familiar are you with our exclusive opportunities that allow youth groups from all over to participate in on-field experiences?

In addition to Jr. Panthers Days, we have theme days for Band, Spirit, Youth Football, Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts, as well as a Battle of the Badges. What organizations are you associated with that would benefit from a group outing at Heinz Field?

I mean, if the Battle of the Badges can't sell the place out, nothing will.
Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Ford is making a huge impression on the coaches.

“He’s a natural playmaker,” offensive coordinator Shawn Watson said.

The bottom line, though, is this: Ford, 20, is still learning. The best part? He’s approaching it seriously, like a student as much as an athlete.

“Coaches’ doors are always open,” he said. “I’m in and out of meetings all the time, getting extra coaching, extra knowledge.”

Senior strong safety Dennis Briggs, a co-captain last season, often lines up with Ford and has noticed his growth.

“I can see the maturity in him,” Briggs said. “He’s asking me questions in the meeting room. He’s always got his notebook out. He genuinely wants to learn the game the right way. He wants to be on the field.

“P’s a little bit ahead of where I was my freshman year.”

Ford is sure of himself, but he expresses his self-confidence matter-of-factly — not like he has something to prove.

“I feel like I can follow the No. 1 receiver and give him problems,” he said. “Be energetic out there.”

The other aspect of Ford’s game — the part Narduzzi is reluctant to discuss freely — is his ability to contribute on offense.

“I hadn’t counted them yet,” Narduzzi said of Ford’s offensive snaps, “but he’s getting some looks.”

“Whatever the team needs, I’m going to get the job done,” said Ford, one of many players running jet sweeps in practice. “Waiting to get the ball in my hands and see what I can do.”

Watson is holding back on his enthusiasm for Ford in the dual role Whitehead played for three years.

“We dabble with Paris,” he said. “We’re trying to just teach him enough to see what he can do. We’re not going to overload him because he’s competing on defense.”

Maybe the best part for Ford this month has been the freedom given him to just play football. Last year, he missed most of training camp while dealing with academic issues and was forced to take a redshirt.

This year, it’s been just football until classes start next week.

“I feel so much more free,” he said. “I was in summer school around this time (last year). I was getting the job done.

“I feel like I’m more mature, being a better person. I feel like I’m taking a step up.”

Part of it is “being around these guys,” he said, mentioning Briggs, junior cornerback Dane Jackson and Avonte Maddox from last season. “Seeing how they carry themselves. Being around them makes you want to live up to their expectations.”

He’s with friends, players he competed with and against in high school. Six players in Pitt’s secondary graduated from WPIAL schools, adding to Ford’s comfort level.

“It’s not like a new face. It’s all familiar faces,” he said. “We all like practicing with each other.”

How all these personalities and talent levels will mesh is unclear. Seven players with starting experience return to the Pitt secondary, but Narduzzi is changing the look nonetheless.

When the NCAA granted schools permission to hire a 10th assistant and last year’s secondary coach Renaldo Hill left for the Miami Dolphins, Narduzzi hired two men for the defensive backs — Archie Collins to oversee everything and Cory Sanders for the safeties. Finishing next-to-last in the ACC in passing yards allowed (254.2 per game last season) won’t be acceptable.

If it’s a challenge Ford is willing to accept.

“Can’t wait,” he said. “Stay tuned.”

He's making an impression on the Pitt coaches?

Well I no idea. In that case I retract everything. He's obviously going #1 overall.

Based off last year, Dokish thinks Kenny is the real deal.
But now it's on to next year, and it's Pickett's team. The 6'2" 215 pound Pickett showed in less than two full games that he is the real deal. And, yes, you can tell in that short period of time. Pickett showed a strong, accurate arm, and good running ability. Having physical prowess is one thing, but it's the intangibles that make the big time quarterbacks, and it didn't take long to see that Pickett had that, too. He showed that he's tough, smart, and that he has an air about him that leaders have. He still doesn't have a lot of experience so he will probably throw an untimely interception from time to time next season, but I expect a very good season. A 30 touchdown, 5 interception season is unrealistic, but 20-25 touchdowns and 10 interception is certainly possible.

Backing Pickett up will be 6'3" 205 pound Ricky Town. To say that Town took the circuitous route to Pitt is a massive understatement. At one time he was considered the consensus top rated high school prospect in the entire country. In California he was compared to Josh Rosen and Sam Darnold, and most people decided that he was the best of the trio. He was so coveted that he amassed 7,000 recruiting letters. He originally committed to Alabama, then flipped to USC. Two weeks into camp at USC, he transferred to Arkansas. He failed to grasp the offense there and eventually left for junior college.

So why is the former best player in the country still looking to see his first snap in college after three years? From people that know him best, his problem is not physical, it's mental. Town has been training to be a big time quarterback since he was in the sixth grade. He trained for years with famous quarterback guru Steve Clarkson. His experience was even written about in a popular book about quarterbacks by Sports Illustrated writer Bruce Feldman. Many believe that the pressure of being trained so hard, so early, and then being considered the best in the country as a sophomore in high school, completely overwhelmed him emotionally, which made him anxious, and then ultimately ruined his confidence. He was, quite frankly, suddenly terrified of making a mistake.

After being considered The Next Great One as a high school sophomore, Town went through three different coaches in three years, and then injured his knee not long before competing in the Elite 11. At the event, he started slowly because he couldn't use his injured knee to follow through on his passes. But he eventually improved enough for Trent Dilfer to say that Town had "the greatest week an Elite 11 kid has ever had". Because he started slowly, he ended up being named the eight best quarterback in the event, but he showed that he could still call on his physical ability when he had to.

But mentally he still was having trouble finding the fun in playing quarterback. While he worked hard in the little time he was at USC and Arkansas, he seemed burnt out. That's understandable when you are being groomed for your life's work at eleven years old. So he decided to go to Ventura Junior College in California to basically regain his confidence and find his love for the game. And it may have worked because people close to him say that he's becoming happy again about being a quarterback. It showed on the field where he did well last season. He still has all of the physical skills needed to be a big time quarterback. He has the size, he has a strong arm, and he's very mobile. Physically, he's obviously good enough to beat out Pickett. And the fact that he will push Pickett, and Pickett will push back, can only make both better. Pickett is the still the likely starter, but the fact that a player with Town's immense physical talent is around suddenly makes the position a strength after being such a weakness last season. In fact, if Town and Pickett live up to their immense potential, and admittedly that's far from a sure thing, Pitt will have one of the stronger quarterback duos in the country.

Rounding out the scholarship players will be incoming freshman Nick Patti. The 6'1" 185 pound New Jersey native is not big, and Pitt actually lists him smaller than others do. He does look like he has a slight frame, but he won't play next season anyway, and he could easily end up being 210-220 pounds eventually, which will be big enough. He has a good arm, which is strong enough to make all of the throws, and his throws are accurate. He also runs well, he's very smart, and he's a good leader. Physically, he's very similar to Pickett and Town, and it's obvious the type of quarterback that Narduzzi and Watson like. He doesn't seem to have quite the natural physical skills of either, but he has a very quick release and is a fast thinker (a great trait for a quarterback, and something Pickett also excels at).

There will be a walk-on or two on the team also, but I am only going to concentrate on the scholarship players. And with these three, the Panthers have their potential star in Pickett, their highly talented veteran that will push the young star in Town, and the developmental player in Patti. All are eligible to be back after next season, and another quarterback will be added to the mix in the '19 class.

I’m sure we’ll all be able to look back at these post about a month from now and have a good laugh...all except for Golic, HailToPitt725 and Dokish.

Once again Baghdad Golic55 delivers an another frightening update on the juggernaut ready to explode in Oakland. Terror awaits any foe who must face the one game wonder and his backup who for reasons that mystify mortal man is unable to grasp basic offense playbooks. In some places this might be deemed as a potential red flag, but not with the Duzz and his crack staff coaching him up. Personally, I’m no future prognosticator, but based on these fearless updates after the App State game I think we should just forfeit to avoid humiliation.

Based off last year, Dokish thinks Kenny is the real deal.
But now it's on to next year, and it's Pickett's team. The 6'2" 215 pound Pickett showed in less than two full games that he is the real deal. And, yes, you can tell in that short period of time. Pickett showed a strong, accurate arm, and good running ability. Having physical prowess is one thing, but it's the intangibles that make the big time quarterbacks, and it didn't take long to see that Pickett had that, too. He showed that he's tough, smart, and that he has an air about him that leaders have. He still doesn't have a lot of experience so he will probably throw an untimely interception from time to time next season, but I expect a very good season. A 30 touchdown, 5 interception season is unrealistic, but 20-25 touchdowns and 10 interception is certainly possible.

Backing Pickett up will be 6'3" 205 pound Ricky Town. To say that Town took the circuitous route to Pitt is a massive understatement. At one time he was considered the consensus top rated high school prospect in the entire country. In California he was compared to Josh Rosen and Sam Darnold, and most people decided that he was the best of the trio. He was so coveted that he amassed 7,000 recruiting letters. He originally committed to Alabama, then flipped to USC. Two weeks into camp at USC, he transferred to Arkansas. He failed to grasp the offense there and eventually left for junior college.

So why is the former best player in the country still looking to see his first snap in college after three years? From people that know him best, his problem is not physical, it's mental. Town has been training to be a big time quarterback since he was in the sixth grade. He trained for years with famous quarterback guru Steve Clarkson. His experience was even written about in a popular book about quarterbacks by Sports Illustrated writer Bruce Feldman. Many believe that the pressure of being trained so hard, so early, and then being considered the best in the country as a sophomore in high school, completely overwhelmed him emotionally, which made him anxious, and then ultimately ruined his confidence. He was, quite frankly, suddenly terrified of making a mistake.

After being considered The Next Great One as a high school sophomore, Town went through three different coaches in three years, and then injured his knee not long before competing in the Elite 11. At the event, he started slowly because he couldn't use his injured knee to follow through on his passes. But he eventually improved enough for Trent Dilfer to say that Town had "the greatest week an Elite 11 kid has ever had". Because he started slowly, he ended up being named the eight best quarterback in the event, but he showed that he could still call on his physical ability when he had to.

But mentally he still was having trouble finding the fun in playing quarterback. While he worked hard in the little time he was at USC and Arkansas, he seemed burnt out. That's understandable when you are being groomed for your life's work at eleven years old. So he decided to go to Ventura Junior College in California to basically regain his confidence and find his love for the game. And it may have worked because people close to him say that he's becoming happy again about being a quarterback. It showed on the field where he did well last season. He still has all of the physical skills needed to be a big time quarterback. He has the size, he has a strong arm, and he's very mobile. Physically, he's obviously good enough to beat out Pickett. And the fact that he will push Pickett, and Pickett will push back, can only make both better. Pickett is the still the likely starter, but the fact that a player with Town's immense physical talent is around suddenly makes the position a strength after being such a weakness last season. In fact, if Town and Pickett live up to their immense potential, and admittedly that's far from a sure thing, Pitt will have one of the stronger quarterback duos in the country.

Rounding out the scholarship players will be incoming freshman Nick Patti. The 6'1" 185 pound New Jersey native is not big, and Pitt actually lists him smaller than others do. He does look like he has a slight frame, but he won't play next season anyway, and he could easily end up being 210-220 pounds eventually, which will be big enough. He has a good arm, which is strong enough to make all of the throws, and his throws are accurate. He also runs well, he's very smart, and he's a good leader. Physically, he's very similar to Pickett and Town, and it's obvious the type of quarterback that Narduzzi and Watson like. He doesn't seem to have quite the natural physical skills of either, but he has a very quick release and is a fast thinker (a great trait for a quarterback, and something Pickett also excels at).

There will be a walk-on or two on the team also, but I am only going to concentrate on the scholarship players. And with these three, the Panthers have their potential star in Pickett, their highly talented veteran that will push the young star in Town, and the developmental player in Patti. All are eligible to be back after next season, and another quarterback will be added to the mix in the '19 class.

Updated for un-pitt reality....

Based off last year (really, one game against a team that proved to be extremely over rated...), Dokish thinks (not "thinks", but believes. If he gave it any thought, he would not say anything this stupid) Kenny is the real deal.
But now it's on to next year (really, it's on to this year, pickett's first real year), and it's Pickett's team (by process of elimination - no known competent QB with any experience or high pedigree). The 6'2" 215 pound Pickett showed in less than two full games that he is the real deal (a casual observer, with the meagerest of reasoning means, would not come to this conclusion). And, yes, you (only if you are a desperate pitt fan) can tell in that short period of time. Pickett showed a strong, accurate arm (on at the 2 yard passes he threw), and good running ability (and he will need it as he scrambles for his life behind a community college OL). Having physical prowess is one thing, but it's the intangibles that make the big time quarterbacks, and it didn't take long to see that Pickett had that, too. (yep, he is undefeated in practice) He showed that he's tough, smart, and that he has an air about him that leaders have (yep, the hot air that Duzzy sprews). He still doesn't have a lot of experience so he will probably throw an untimely interception from time to time next season (this season - and about an INT per 5 attempts against any top 20 team), but I expect a very good season (yep, 5-7 is a good season for pitt). A 30 touchdown, 5 interception season is unrealistic (and a much more likely scenario would be 5 TD's and 30 INT's), but 20-25 touchdowns and 10 interception is certainly possible (if pitt could leave college football and play all their games against the WPIAL class 4A),.

Backing Pickett up will be 6'3" 205 pound Ricky Town. To say that Town took the circuitous route to Pitt is a massive understatement/dillusion (yep, it would be better described it as being sent to "last chance U"). At one time (Once upon a time....) he was considered the consensus top rated high school prospect in the entire country. In California (many, many years ago) he was compared to Josh Rosen and Sam Darnold (all three 6 year old QBs), and most people decided that he was the best of the trio (and boy were they wrong, typical for analysis in CA). He was so coveted that he amassed 7,000 recruiting letters (from his pre-teen girlfriends). He originally committed to Alabama, then flipped to USC. Two weeks into camp at USC he realized he had no chance to play at a real top 25 program and, he transferred to Arkansas. He failed to grasp the offense there even though it was just a junior high offense and eventually left for junior college (and became so distraught that the only place that would take him was a desperate pitt, and coach Duzzy).

So why is the former best grammar school player in the country still looking to see his first snap in college after three years? (Because in reality, he was closer to the worst QB in the country than the best). From people that know him best, his problem is not physical, it's mental. (Obviously, he went to pitt - that's a "no brainer...") Town has been training (no, trying unsuccessfully) to be a big time quarterback since he was in the sixth grade. He trained for years with famous quarterback guru Steve Clarkson, which turned out to be a waste of his parent money. His experience was even written about in a popular book about quarterbacks that waste their parent retirement savings on athletic training by Sports Illustrated writer Bruce Feldman (a popular source for how to waste money on untalented young athletes). Many believe that the pressure of being trained so hard, so early, and then being considered the best in the country as a sophomore in high school (grammar school in CA), completely overwhelmed him emotionally, which made him anxious, and then ultimately ruined his confidence. He was, quite frankly, suddenly terrified of making a mistake. But as he is now very experienced and adept at making mistakes, he will fit right in at pitt.

After being considered The Next Great One as a high school sophomore (again, Grammar school in CA), Town went through three different coaches in three years (with each telling his parents they were wasting their time and money), and then injured his knee not long before competing in the Elite 11. At the event, he started slowly because he couldn't use his injured knee to follow through on his passes, and he was proving that the money spent on training was wasted. But he eventually improved enough in comparison to the distant memories all the other QB's who had long ago left for home for Trent Dilfer to say that Town had "the greatest week an Elite 11 kid has ever had when no other QB's were there". Because he started slowly, he ended up being named the eight best quarterback out of 7 in the event, but he showed that he could still call on his physical ability when he had to (i.e. when everyone else was home and he was the only one on the field). Too bad he can't just run drill, and would have to actually play in a game to help pitt try and win. Otherwise he might be the savior of the program!!!

But mentally he still was having trouble finding the fun in playing quarterback. But if he feels that getting sacked is fun, he will have lots of it at pitt!!! (While he worked hard in the little time he was at USC and Arkansas, he seemed burnt out knowing he did not have the talent to actually play QB at a real college football program. That's understandable when you are being groomed for your life's work at eleven years old. So he decided to go to Ventura Junior College in California to basically regain his confidence and find his love for the game. And it may have worked because people close to him say that he's becoming happy again about being a quarterback that does not have the talent to actually play QB at a real college football program. It showed on the field where he did well last season in practice against the local junior high team. He still has all of the physical skills needed to be a big time quarterback in grammar school. He has the size, (towering over 8 and 9 year olds), he has a strong arm, and he's very mobile as he was the only one that has his drivers license on the grammar school team. Physically, he's obviously good enough to beat out Pickett. Right. If he can't beat out a one game wonder he must still be that broken former QB.... And the fact that he will push Pickett, and Pickett will push back, can only make both better at pushing people in line at the cafeteria. Nope, two wrongs do not make a right... Pickett is the still the likely starter, but the fact that a player with Town's immense physical talent (that has twice flunked out of real college football programs) is around suddenly makes the position a strength after being such a weakness last season. (Nope, pitt actually had more QB talent on their roster last year) In fact, if Town and Pickett live up to their immense potential, and admittedly that's far from a sure thing, Pitt will have one of the stronger quarterback duos in the country. And children, this is the end of the fairy tale.

Oh wait, there is more of the fairy tale...

Rounding out the scholarship players will be incoming freshman Nick Patti. (who couldn't muster up a scholarship from a winning program and had to go to pitt.) The 6'1" 185 pound New Jersey native is not big, and Pitt actually lists him smaller than others do. He does look like he has a slight frame, but he won't play next season anyway, and he could easily end up being 210-220 pounds eventually, which will be big enough. He has a good arm, which is strong enough to make all of the throws, and his throws are accurate. He also runs well, he's very smart, and he's a good leader. Physically, he's very similar to Pickett and Town, and it's obvious the type of quarterback that Narduzzi and Watson like. (or more truthfully, the only kind that they can talk into attending pitt) He doesn't seem to have quite the natural physical skills of either, but he has a very quick release and is a fast thinker (in comparison to most pitt players) (a great trait for a quarterback, and something Pickett also excels at).

There will be a walk-on or two on the team also, but I am only going to concentrate on the scholarship players. And with these three, the Panthers have their potential star in Pickett (but more likely, another floundering pitt QB), their (once) highly talented veteran that will push the young star in Town, and the developmental player in Patti. All are eligible to be back after next season, and another quarterback (that can't get an offer from a winning program) will be added to the mix in the '19 class.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT