ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt fans say the darndest things

OR, "When you get to the empty stadium, you're there!"
The Pitt Gameday experience: Park right next to entrance, sit wherever you please, move around wherever you want there’s plenty of room. If you’re tired or bored take a nice long nap there’s no noise to disturb you. Visit the unexplored upper deck. Make sure that you stop at the no lines concession stands for a free drink if you haven’t left early to attend the Opera.

The Pitt Gameday experience: Park right next to entrance, sit wherever you please, move around wherever you want there’s plenty of room. If you’re tired or bored take a nice long nap there’s no noise to disturb you. Visit the unexplored upper deck. Make sure that you stop at the no lines concession stands for a free drink if you haven’t left early to attend the Opera.

Honestly I would probably prefer that since I hate crowds. I'm a bit jealous now that I think about it. Here we are sitting in traffic for hours and paying crazy hotel prices like suckers! Man it would be really nice to go to pitt games with no crowds and plenty of space. No traffic or anything.

But then again I always enjoyed getting loud and proud with 100,000 of my best buds in Beaver Stadium!

The Pitt Gameday experience: Make sure that you stop at the no lines concession stands for a free drink if you haven’t left early to attend the Opera.

Or Kennywood
Or the Carnegie Museum
Or ride the Incline
Or the Warhol Museum

..... always pulling attendance away from the Pitt game.

Kind of like attending a lower grade, minor league, baseball game.

This has to go in the receipts pile....

Dl0NjOYVAAAReo6.jpg:large
Or the post I saw which said McSorley is getting worse because his stats as a freshman were his best and he keeps getting worse from his freshman year. It was posted a couple of times. Would that be his freshman year he was redshirted or his redshirt freshman year where he didn’t play? You can’t fix that kind of stupid.

Well reality season is a little over 24 hours away for pitt fans. Silly season has a few more hours so I hope they get out all their hopes and dreams to be laughed at later

Cliff Notes version of Panther Lair wisdom:
1.Alabama is garbage, there are 3 sure wins for Pitt on their schedule (no mention of the other 9).
2. Paul Chryst can't hold a candle to Nardouche. Only difference between Wisky and Pitt is Wisky's weak schedule (year after year).
3. Ped State is the 4th most hated program in America. 9 of the 10 "most hated" programs lead the nation in all time wins. Where is Pitt with its 2 dozen national titles on the list? oops...
4.McSorley always plays better than he is! (classic).
5. We choose to recruit 3 stars, that are really 4 stars because they are from Florida. We also pick up lineman with no ratings......cause no one has seen them to evaluate them yet. Honey, here is your engagement ring. Its really very valuable, its just that it hasn't been evaluated by anyone yet.
6. We are 13-12 over the past 2 years. During those seasons PSU has 2 top 10 finishes, a trip to the Rose Bowl and a Fiesta Bowl victory. But we beat Clemson, PSU and Miami and that is really what counts. The other games we don't talk about.
UNC's only victory over a P5 program? Over time with Youngstown? A loss to Northwestern from the annually over rated big 10 and its comically weak West Division?
Finally, the default refrain......at least we're not Ped State.
Why oh why won't they play with us?

Reactions: mlvnsmly
Cliff Notes version of Panther Lair wisdom:
1.Alabama is garbage, there are 3 sure wins for Pitt on their schedule (no mention of the other 9).
2. Paul Chryst can't hold a candle to Nardouche. Only difference between Wisky and Pitt is Wisky's weak schedule (year after year).
3. Ped State is the 4th most hated program in America. 9 of the 10 "most hated" programs lead the nation in all time wins. Where is Pitt with its 2 dozen national titles on the list? oops...
4.McSorley always plays better than he is! (classic).
5. We choose to recruit 3 stars, that are really 4 stars because they are from Florida. We also pick up lineman with no ratings......cause no one has seen them to evaluate them yet. Honey, here is your engagement ring. Its really very valuable, its just that it hasn't been evaluated by anyone yet.
6. We are 13-12 over the past 2 years. During those seasons PSU has 2 top 10 finishes, a trip to the Rose Bowl and a Fiesta Bowl victory. But we beat Clemson, PSU and Miami and that is really what counts. The other games we don't talk about.
UNC's only victory over a P5 program? Over time with Youngstown? A loss to Northwestern from the annually over rated big 10 and its comically weak West Division?
Finally, the default refrain......at least we're not Ped State.
Why oh why won't they play with us?

You forgot, "we've won two of the last three games"

Kenny is ready!
While coach Pat Narduzzi understands the hype surrounding the sophomore quarterback — last seen engineering an upset of then second-ranked Miami in the 2017 regular season finale — Narduzzi also knows a reality check will come at some point. Perhaps as early as Saturday when the Panthers open against Albany.

“I know everybody thinks he’s going to go out there and be `Kenny Perfect,”′ Narduzzi said. “That’d be in a perfect world. But nobody’s perfect. I don’t want to make Kenny tight like that where he’s got to play perfect. He’s still a baby.”

Even if Pickett didn’t play like one while accounting for all three Pitt touchdowns in the victory over the Hurricanes. Nine months later he steps onto Heinz Field again eager to prove it was no fluke. The atmosphere will be different. So will the stakes. That’s fine by Pickett. A year ago he was running the scout team. Now he’s firmly entrenched as the starter.

Will he be pumped? Yes. Will he show it? Meh.

“I can’t be going nuts on the field, then I lose my mind and lose my read, what I have to do,” Pickett said. “Just stay calm, stay smooth from the first quarter to the last one.”

The Panthers could use a steady hand at the wheel following a tumultuous 2017 in which they finished 5-7 and failed to reach a bowl game for the first time in a decade. A seemingly unending rotation at quarterback — from Max Browne to Ben DiNucci back to Browne back to DiNucci then ultimately to Pickett — didn’t help.

Pickett’s rise could give Pitt long-term stability, though he is quick to point out he’s just one part of an offense he believes will be “explosive” under second-year coordinator Shawn Watson.

“It’s our offense now this year,” Pickett said. “Last year we were 50/50. We didn’t know our identity really.”
Now the Panthers believe they do. Senior running backs Darrin Hall and Qadree Ollison are eager to bounce back after an underachieving 2017. Fullback George Aston returns after missing most of last season due to injury. The receivers are largely inexperienced but Pickett is hardly concerned.

“I feel really comfortable back there,” Pickett said. “I have trust in seven to eight guys to go in there and do exactly what the guy before them did. That’s something we didn’t have last year and we do this year. ... It’s been countless hours of work and preparation and we’re ready to go.”

Some things to look for as Pitt attempts not to get tripped up by the Great Danes.

NO QB JITTERS: Albany QB Vince Testaverde Jr., a fifth-year graduate transfer at his third school, will start his first game for the Great Danes. The son of longtime NFL quarterback and 1986 Heisman Trophy winner Vinny Testaverde is a transfer from Miami, where his dad starred. He started his college career at Texas Tech and played in one game as a non-scholarship freshman in 2014, completing 15 of 26 passes for 116 yards against Texas, then transferred after one semester.

Although his dad will be at the game, Vince says it will be business as usual.

“I’m just going to play my game, tell everyone else just to play theirs,” said Testaverde, who will be playing in only his second game in college. “Nothing’s different. Football is football, no matter if we play in a small stadium, big stadium, wherever we play.”

ATTITUDE ADJUSTMENT: Narduzzi raised some eyebrows when he told a crowd of fans at a kickoff luncheon that he would see them in Charlotte — site of the ACC title game —at the end of the season. It’s a limb Narduzzi is willing to step out on thanks to the mentality of his 19 seniors.

“I think we’ve got the talent, I think we have the mindset, I think we’ve got the chemistry to win a championship,” Narduzzi said. “Is that going to happen? We’ll find out.”

OLD HOME WEEKEND: Albany head coach Greg Gattuso is a Pittsburgh native. He won eight MAAC championships in 12 seasons at Duquesne (1993-2004) and also worked on the Panthers’ staff for six seasons (2005- 11). This will be Albany’s fourth game ever against an FBS opponent.

“They had an opening (on the schedule). It worked out. It was a much better idea four years ago than it is right now,” Gattuso said, joking. “But I’m excited about it, and I think the kids are really excited about it.

“Ultimately, it’s a great experience for our athletes to play ... against the team that just beat the No. 2 team in the country in their last game.”

Albany offensive line coach Jim Sweeney is from Pittsburgh and a Pitt grad.

This thread is going to be priceless for the next two weeks. Comedy Gold Jerry.

Kenny is ready!
While coach Pat Narduzzi understands the hype surrounding the sophomore quarterback — last seen engineering an upset of then second-ranked Miami in the 2017 regular season finale — Narduzzi also knows a reality check will come at some point. Perhaps as early as Saturday when the Panthers open against Albany.

“I know everybody thinks he’s going to go out there and be `Kenny Perfect,”′ Narduzzi said. “That’d be in a perfect world. But nobody’s perfect. I don’t want to make Kenny tight like that where he’s got to play perfect. He’s still a baby.”

Even if Pickett didn’t play like one while accounting for all three Pitt touchdowns in the victory over the Hurricanes. Nine months later he steps onto Heinz Field again eager to prove it was no fluke. The atmosphere will be different. So will the stakes. That’s fine by Pickett. A year ago he was running the scout team. Now he’s firmly entrenched as the starter.

Will he be pumped? Yes. Will he show it? Meh.

“I can’t be going nuts on the field, then I lose my mind and lose my read, what I have to do,” Pickett said. “Just stay calm, stay smooth from the first quarter to the last one.”

The Panthers could use a steady hand at the wheel following a tumultuous 2017 in which they finished 5-7 and failed to reach a bowl game for the first time in a decade. A seemingly unending rotation at quarterback — from Max Browne to Ben DiNucci back to Browne back to DiNucci then ultimately to Pickett — didn’t help.

Pickett’s rise could give Pitt long-term stability, though he is quick to point out he’s just one part of an offense he believes will be “explosive” under second-year coordinator Shawn Watson.

“It’s our offense now this year,” Pickett said. “Last year we were 50/50. We didn’t know our identity really.”
Now the Panthers believe they do. Senior running backs Darrin Hall and Qadree Ollison are eager to bounce back after an underachieving 2017. Fullback George Aston returns after missing most of last season due to injury. The receivers are largely inexperienced but Pickett is hardly concerned.

“I feel really comfortable back there,” Pickett said. “I have trust in seven to eight guys to go in there and do exactly what the guy before them did. That’s something we didn’t have last year and we do this year. ... It’s been countless hours of work and preparation and we’re ready to go.”

Some things to look for as Pitt attempts not to get tripped up by the Great Danes.

NO QB JITTERS: Albany QB Vince Testaverde Jr., a fifth-year graduate transfer at his third school, will start his first game for the Great Danes. The son of longtime NFL quarterback and 1986 Heisman Trophy winner Vinny Testaverde is a transfer from Miami, where his dad starred. He started his college career at Texas Tech and played in one game as a non-scholarship freshman in 2014, completing 15 of 26 passes for 116 yards against Texas, then transferred after one semester.

Although his dad will be at the game, Vince says it will be business as usual.

“I’m just going to play my game, tell everyone else just to play theirs,” said Testaverde, who will be playing in only his second game in college. “Nothing’s different. Football is football, no matter if we play in a small stadium, big stadium, wherever we play.”

ATTITUDE ADJUSTMENT: Narduzzi raised some eyebrows when he told a crowd of fans at a kickoff luncheon that he would see them in Charlotte — site of the ACC title game —at the end of the season. It’s a limb Narduzzi is willing to step out on thanks to the mentality of his 19 seniors.

“I think we’ve got the talent, I think we have the mindset, I think we’ve got the chemistry to win a championship,” Narduzzi said. “Is that going to happen? We’ll find out.”

OLD HOME WEEKEND: Albany head coach Greg Gattuso is a Pittsburgh native. He won eight MAAC championships in 12 seasons at Duquesne (1993-2004) and also worked on the Panthers’ staff for six seasons (2005- 11). This will be Albany’s fourth game ever against an FBS opponent.

“They had an opening (on the schedule). It worked out. It was a much better idea four years ago than it is right now,” Gattuso said, joking. “But I’m excited about it, and I think the kids are really excited about it.

“Ultimately, it’s a great experience for our athletes to play ... against the team that just beat the No. 2 team in the country in their last game.”

Albany offensive line coach Jim Sweeney is from Pittsburgh and a Pitt grad.
I guess we will see if Kenny Football "always plays better than he is!"

Reactions: 81b&w
I guess we will see if Kenny Football "always plays better than he is!"
Will Kenny have to wait until the end of the game to receive the Heisman Trophy or will it be awarded at halftime along with another natty? Oh the horror of it all.

Reactions: m48tank
Kenny the next Montana?
Very similar skill set.
The hype about Pickett that began as he led the Panthers to an upset of No. 2 Miami in the final game of the 2017 season continued over the course of the offseason.

At his press conference on Monday, head coach Pat Narduzzi praised his sophomore quarterback’s consistency and ability to protect the ball.

“I know everyone thinks he’s going to go out there and be ‘Kenny Perfect,’ ” Narduzzi said. “But nobody’s perfect and I don’t want Kenny tight like that where he’s got to play perfect. He won’t play a perfect game. No quarterback does.”

Aside from Pickett starting at quarterback, Narduzzi has not confirmed any other offensive starters.

The wide receivers are one of the biggest mystery areas heading into Saturday’s game – though one member of the receiving corps who seems certain to see the field is Taysir Mack, a transfer from Indiana. Mack was recently granted eligibility from the NCAA for this season.

During camp, wide receivers coach Kevin Sherman said Mack can play anywhere on the field. Narduzzi echoed Sherman’s sentiments.

“Here’s the thing about Taysir," Narduzzi said. "He can play in the slot. He can play the boundary guy, which is where Kenny likes him. And he can play to the field. H can move all over the place.”

Not holding back

Despite Narduzzi’s hesitancy to name starters, he was more forthcoming when asked about the offensive game plan against Albany.

In the previous two seasons, the Panthers didn’t show their full hand in the opening week, as they were facing Penn State in the second week. Pitt’s game plan was criticized by some as being “vanilla” – nearly costing Pitt its opener against Youngstown State last year. Pitt pulled out a win in overtime.

“We're not holding anything back,” Narduzzi said. “So if you're asking that, at times, we hold stuff back, I think most people know what we do. So we're going to go out and do it and find out how well we execute the offense.”

Narduzzi said the mindset of the Panthers, is that they are a confident group of players. However, that wasn’t the case when Narduzzi first took over as head coach.

“We had to change a lot of mindsets when I first got here," he said. "People just thought like six or more games, that’s a great season.

“We try to ingrain that into our kids’ heads that that’s just average or below average.”

Lofty goals

The head coach also didn’t shy away from using the term “championship” when speaking about this year’s squad.

“I think we’ve got the talent," Narduzzi said. " I think we’ve got the mindset. I think we’ve got the chemistry to win a championship. Is that going to happen? We’ll find out.”

Narduzzi was asked how much winning games against Clemson and Miami – both ranked No. 2 in the country when Pitt beat them in 2016 and 2017, respectively – helps with having a winning mindset.

“I think it helps you," Narduzzi said. "I think when you’ve got the ability to win a big game, and you’ve got the ability to win every game, period.

“If you can beat a Miami and beat a Clemson," he said, "why shouldn’t you win an ACC Championship?”

Reactions: TheGLOV
Kenny the next Montana?
Very similar skill set.
The hype about Pickett that began as he led the Panthers to an upset of No. 2 Miami in the final game of the 2017 season continued over the course of the offseason.

At his press conference on Monday, head coach Pat Narduzzi praised his sophomore quarterback’s consistency and ability to protect the ball.

“I know everyone thinks he’s going to go out there and be ‘Kenny Perfect,’ ” Narduzzi said. “But nobody’s perfect and I don’t want Kenny tight like that where he’s got to play perfect. He won’t play a perfect game. No quarterback does.”

Aside from Pickett starting at quarterback, Narduzzi has not confirmed any other offensive starters.

The wide receivers are one of the biggest mystery areas heading into Saturday’s game – though one member of the receiving corps who seems certain to see the field is Taysir Mack, a transfer from Indiana. Mack was recently granted eligibility from the NCAA for this season.

During camp, wide receivers coach Kevin Sherman said Mack can play anywhere on the field. Narduzzi echoed Sherman’s sentiments.

“Here’s the thing about Taysir," Narduzzi said. "He can play in the slot. He can play the boundary guy, which is where Kenny likes him. And he can play to the field. H can move all over the place.”

Not holding back

Despite Narduzzi’s hesitancy to name starters, he was more forthcoming when asked about the offensive game plan against Albany.

In the previous two seasons, the Panthers didn’t show their full hand in the opening week, as they were facing Penn State in the second week. Pitt’s game plan was criticized by some as being “vanilla” – nearly costing Pitt its opener against Youngstown State last year. Pitt pulled out a win in overtime.

“We're not holding anything back,” Narduzzi said. “So if you're asking that, at times, we hold stuff back, I think most people know what we do. So we're going to go out and do it and find out how well we execute the offense.”

Narduzzi said the mindset of the Panthers, is that they are a confident group of players. However, that wasn’t the case when Narduzzi first took over as head coach.

“We had to change a lot of mindsets when I first got here," he said. "People just thought like six or more games, that’s a great season.

“We try to ingrain that into our kids’ heads that that’s just average or below average.”

Lofty goals

The head coach also didn’t shy away from using the term “championship” when speaking about this year’s squad.

“I think we’ve got the talent," Narduzzi said. " I think we’ve got the mindset. I think we’ve got the chemistry to win a championship. Is that going to happen? We’ll find out.”

Narduzzi was asked how much winning games against Clemson and Miami – both ranked No. 2 in the country when Pitt beat them in 2016 and 2017, respectively – helps with having a winning mindset.

“I think it helps you," Narduzzi said. "I think when you’ve got the ability to win a big game, and you’ve got the ability to win every game, period.

“If you can beat a Miami and beat a Clemson," he said, "why shouldn’t you win an ACC Championship?”

COOLSTORY.jpg

Reactions: TheGLOV
Kenny the next Montana?
Very similar skill set.

Not holding back

Lofty goals

Yeah, the next Hannah Montana!!!

Dinucci who Lair Fans claim can't play in the ACC has 74 yds rushing and 19-22 passing vs NC ST. I'm sure they won't miss him.

Kenny is just getting warmed up!

In only his second start for Pitt, Pickett picked apart Albany by completing 13 of 13 passes for 129 yards and a touchdown and running for another score on the way to a 33-7 victory Saturday at Heinz Field.

The nickname might have been an accident, but Pickett’s near-perfect first half wasn’t. Maurice Ffrench spotted Pitt a 7-0 lead by returning the opening kickoff for a touchdown, and safety Damar Hamlin returned an interception 79 yards to the Albany 19 before Pickett ever took the field.

Pickett scored on a 5-yard run for a 13-0 lead, then completed five passes to four receivers on a nine-play, 75-yard scoring drive to make it 19-0 at 4:42 of the first quarter.

An admitted perfectionist who said offensive coordinator Shawn Watson demands precision, Pickett threw touchdown passes of 3 and 42 yards to Rafael Araujo-Lopes in the second quarter for a 26-point halftime lead.

“Since I’ve been young, you chase perfection and you find excellence,” Pickett said. “That’s something I want to continue as my career moves on, really, just being as efficient of a quarterback as I can be.”

The Panthers professed they had no idea Pickett was perfect through the first two quarters. To be fair, he did have a failed 2-point conversion pass that didn’t count toward his passing totals and another incomplete throw negated by an Albany illegal substitution penalty.

“He’s so far ahead for how old he is, you wouldn’t even know that he’s a true sophomore quarterback out there with only, what, two starts now,” Pitt senior running back Qadree Ollison said.

“You wouldn’t even know it if you walked into the stadium and watched the game. You would think this kid has started in 20-plus games. He does a tremendous job leading the offense and running the whole show. At the same time, you still know that he’s only a sophomore, that he’s an 18-, 19-year-old kid. You don’t expect him to be perfect.”

So it shouldn’t be a surprise that Pickett’s pursuit of perfection had the second-half hiccups that Narduzzi anticipated when he made the Kenny Perfect comment.

As poised as Pickett appeared in his leading Pitt to an upset of No. 2 Miami in his first college start and as perfect as his passing was in his first start in a season opener, his second-half had hiccups: a fumble, an interception and a first-ever slide that sent a shiver through the stadium.

No wonder Narduzzi quipped, “I didn’t know he was 13 of 13, but he could be a lot better.”

For one, Pickett learned he can’t run over linebackers. On a third-and-10 at the Albany 37, he tried to leap over Bethel Park graduate Levi Metheny when Eli Mencer hit Pickett high and forced a fumble.

“I think I might have to retire that move,” Pickett said.

With a four-touchdown lead and Penn State visiting next week, Narduzzi had warned Pickett not to take unnecessary hits. No wonder Pickett avoided Narduzzi, walking away and pretending not to hear him screaming about not knowing the difference between up and down.

When Pickett threw the interception on a tipped pass, Narduzzi decided he didn’t want his quarterback to dwell on a negative play all week. So he put Pickett back into the game, only to see his slide to end a 12-yard run cause a hush to fall over Heinz Field when Pickett grabbed his leg.

Turns out, his right calf locked up with a cramp.

Pickett returned to finish 16 of 22 for 154 yards, adding 42 yards rushing on six carries. His second half was nowhere near as impressive as his first, let alone perfect. But that’s the promising part, as Pickett showed signs there is room for improvement.

“I don’t know if Kenny was as sharp as I’ve seen him,” Narduzzi said. “I think he was about 75 percent. I thought he played OK. I’ve seen him play a lot better. I’ve seen him be more accurate. It’s been a long time since he’s played and he hasn’t played a lot of football so I expect to see a sharper Kenny next week.”

Pickett proved that he doesn’t have to be Kenny Perfect for Pitt. But he also showed in the second half he has to be better than Kenny OK for the Panthers to beat Penn State, which needed overtime to avoid an upset against Appalachian State.

Pitt will follow Pickett in his pursuit of perfection, knowing it can still find excellence if he falls short of living up to his new nickname.

Did anyone see Pitt play? How do we know they did?
IF....Pitt beats PSU......PSU will finish higher in the rankings, go to a better bowl game, continue to draw 3x the fans and Pitt will still be irrelevant as a college FB program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT