ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt fans say the darndest things

Pitt hasn't sold out its $25 student season tickets. Why would it be at all reasonable that non-students would sell well?

There's a reason every Pitt game other than PSU is going for under $10 on stubhub. Zero demand. In fact the cheapest ticket on Stubhub is barely over $100 for the PSU game. That's pretty much half of what it was in 2016.

Reactions: diggerpup
Only Pitt can take a position where they have no talent and turn it into a strength in a couple weeks....amazing coaching.

All depends on how the offense performs.
Ben DiNucci left for James Madison, star recruit Nick Patti is for the future, and one-time USC super-recruit Ricky Town can play – this is Kenny Pickett’s O to fly. The star of the Miami upset came up big late in the season, and now the expectations are off the charts. He’s expected to carry the team and be the signature star, but he’ll have to be even better than that because …

– The receiving corps is a potential problem. Leading pass catcher Rafael Araujo-Lopes is back, but he’s just okay. Jester Weah – the team’s most explosive target – is gone, and Indiana transfer Taysir Mack won’t be eligible until next year. That means a whole slew of young parts of the puzzle have to rise up and be stronger, including at tight end.

Seven of the top eight pass catchers from last year are back – not including TE Chris Clark, who took a leave of absence from the team – but they all have grow into playmakers. Fortunately, Pickett might be that good, and …

– The running game should be a whole lot better. Darrin Hall is terrific and Qadree Ollison is a good veteran, but the ground game only ran for 1,782 yards and averaged under four yards per carry. However, the talent is there in the backfield, especially with star recruit Mychale Salahuddin a potential part of the fun.

Part of the problem – at least statistically – was that the line couldn’t pass protect, and now three starters are done, including top tackle Brian O’Neill. There are plenty of veterans to play around with, and there’s help from a slew of JUCO transfers and former Kent State tackle Stefano Millin, but this should be the biggest area of focus in fall camp.

The line has to figure out how to dominate on a consistent basis. It might be a problem considering all the moving parts, but after giving up 31 sacks and 79 tackles for loss, keeping the strong ACC lines out of the backfield is a must.

Pitt, potentially, has one of the league’s better backfields, but everyone needs more time and space to work. The ground game that only hit the 200-yard mark twice against FBS teams has too much talent to be that mediocre again.

Hey moron, if you’re going to paste and post at least use the latest information. The Randy Moss clone Mack from Indiana IS eligible.

LOL. Patti’s best offers were from BC, Temple, and Rutgers. What, pray tell, makes him a “star recruit”?

He is obviously gifted.
Physically and mentally, Patti was at his best last year in the New Jersey Non-Public, Group 3 championship game against DePaul at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford.

After an interception turned into a touchdown on his first throw, his second went 61 yards for a score — his first of four in a 26-17 St. Joseph victory.

“We have a great coaching staff,” he said. “They said, ‘Just make the game memorable in a different way. And I delivered.' ”

For the season, he completed 98 of 186 passes for 1,737 yards, 15 touchdowns and five interceptions.

Patti, 6-foot-3, 200 pounds, said one of his strengths is improvisation. He threw for 209 yards and ran for 78 in the state title game.

“In tough, grind-it-out games, you're going to have times when the pressure gets to you,” he said. “It gets back to pee wee football — getting outside the pocket and making plays like an athlete.”

St. Joseph coach Augie Hoffmann, a former offensive lineman with the New Orleans Saints, said Patti has improved every year he's been in the program — two as a starter, three as a letterman.

Patti said he stopped playing baseball because it “messed with my throwing motion.”

“He's serious about his craft,” Hoffman said. “He works at it. Right now, he's in such a great spot to have a great year.”

Hoffman said he has known Narduzzi since the Pitt coach was an assistant at Michigan State and recruited New Jersey.

“I kind of know what it is he's looking for in a player,” Hoffmann said. “His toughness and his work ethic.”

Even more important: his word.

Hoffman expects other schools to remain interested in Patti. Boston College, Temple, Rutgers and Toledo have offered.

“There might be some guys that come out of woodwork,” Hoffmann said. “I don't see why not. Everybody was starting to show interest right before he committed.

“Once they watched his tape and they saw his release and how athletic he is and he does have nice size, then, all of sudden, (they said), ‘This kid can really play.' ”

Patti said he has told other schools his recruitment has ended, and he plans no visits to anyplace but Pitt. He also said he's leaning toward signing during the NCAA's new, early period in December.

“I found my school,” he said.

He is obviously gifted.
Physically and mentally, Patti was at his best last year in the New Jersey Non-Public, Group 3 championship game against DePaul at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford.

After an interception turned into a touchdown on his first throw, his second went 61 yards for a score — his first of four in a 26-17 St. Joseph victory.

“We have a great coaching staff,” he said. “They said, ‘Just make the game memorable in a different way. And I delivered.' ”

For the season, he completed 98 of 186 passes for 1,737 yards, 15 touchdowns and five interceptions.

Patti, 6-foot-3, 200 pounds, said one of his strengths is improvisation. He threw for 209 yards and ran for 78 in the state title game.

“In tough, grind-it-out games, you're going to have times when the pressure gets to you,” he said. “It gets back to pee wee football — getting outside the pocket and making plays like an athlete.”

St. Joseph coach Augie Hoffmann, a former offensive lineman with the New Orleans Saints, said Patti has improved every year he's been in the program — two as a starter, three as a letterman.

Patti said he stopped playing baseball because it “messed with my throwing motion.”

“He's serious about his craft,” Hoffman said. “He works at it. Right now, he's in such a great spot to have a great year.”

Hoffman said he has known Narduzzi since the Pitt coach was an assistant at Michigan State and recruited New Jersey.

“I kind of know what it is he's looking for in a player,” Hoffmann said. “His toughness and his work ethic.”

Even more important: his word.

Hoffman expects other schools to remain interested in Patti. Boston College, Temple, Rutgers and Toledo have offered.

“There might be some guys that come out of woodwork,” Hoffmann said. “I don't see why not. Everybody was starting to show interest right before he committed.

“Once they watched his tape and they saw his release and how athletic he is and he does have nice size, then, all of sudden, (they said), ‘This kid can really play.' ”

Patti said he has told other schools his recruitment has ended, and he plans no visits to anyplace but Pitt. He also said he's leaning toward signing during the NCAA's new, early period in December.

“I found my school,” he said.

This is like a fillibuster.

Maybe we should post pics of Pitt’s empty stadium for every pointless article this guy c&p’s.

IMG_8359.jpg

You really think PSU fans bought 25,000 season tickets?

Cmon man, I try and be as realistic as possible when it comes to Pitt. I’m telling you like it is here. Pitt routinely sells about 35K+ in season tickets, then plus the student tickets of 10K which normally sell out. Tickets sold don’t always equal butts in seats, as I’m sure you know. So that’s why you see attendance at around 40K for each game.

For Penn State, Pitt season ticket holders were given the opportunity to buy more season tickets so they could give those to Pitt fans for the game on the 8th. This is switched up from 2016.

In reality, expect 50K+ from Pitt, and about 15-20K from PSU. Still a good turnout, but no where near what some on this board suggest.

Nobody cares about the details of Pitt season tickets sales. But there were easily 25k PSU fans at 2016 game. At the end of the game, when PSU had the victory all but locked up, and Pitt fans started streaming for the exits, there were more PSU fans than Pitt fans. Too bad they all missed the lucky BS that followed. It was their last time to ever be happy as a Pitt fan... by stealing a win they didn't deserve from big brother.

"I think the Penn State home game actually hurts us. A lot of PSU fans buy Pitt season tickets then take delight in just throwing the rest of the tickets in the garbage, so those tickets/seats will never be used the rest of the season no matter what happens. That's a problem. Pitt can be 10-0 and there will be empty seats because PSU fans are giggling, hoarding them throwing them away. Don't think those nutcakes aren't doing this." :p

"I think the Penn State home game actually hurts us. A lot of PSU fans buy Pitt season tickets then take delight in just throwing the rest of the tickets in the garbage, so those tickets/seats will never be used the rest of the season no matter what happens. That's a problem. Pitt can be 10-0 and there will be empty seats because PSU fans are giggling, hoarding them throwing them away. Don't think those nutcakes aren't doing this." :p

He's a "nutcake" for even mentioning the possibility of Pitt being 10-0.

Penn State fans who buy a Pitt season ticket package then throw away the other tickets aren't doing so to stick it to Pitt, although that's certainly a great secondary benefit. They real reason they're throwing the tickets away is because it isn't worth the trouble trying to sell them for $1 on StubHub.

Penn State fans who buy a Pitt season ticket package then throw away the other tickets aren't doing so to stick it to Pitt, although that's certainly a great secondary benefit. They real reason they're throwing the tickets away is because it isn't worth the trouble trying to sell them for $1 on StubHub.

Stub hub has $6 minimum, and that is too high for pitt tickets.

He and Taysir both figure to go in the 1st round.

Pitt talent will be off the charts.

Pitt coach Pat Narduzzi said he doesn’t want to hand wide receiver Taysir Mack a starting job, but he stopped just short of doing that Friday morning.

Narduzzi called it “one of the best text messages you can get,” when he got the news Thursday that the NCAA declared Mack eligible to play this season. Mack played 12 games at Indiana last season, and the expectation had been since he enrolled in January that he would be forced to sit out the 2018 season.

But NCAA associate director of public and media relations Michelle Hosick said Friday that the Division I Council adjusted transfer guidelines this year. The changes allow immediate competition if all four of the following criteria are met, she said:

•Transfer is due to documented mitigating circumstances outside student-athlete’s control and directly impacts health, safety and well-being of student-athlete;

•At time of transfer, the student-athlete would have been athletically and academically eligible and in good standing on the team had he or she remained at the previous school;

•Student-athlete meets percentage-of-degree requirements at the new school;

•The previous school’s athletics administration does not oppose transfer.

Hosick declined comment on specific student-athletes.

Narduzzi said the details of the transfer are less important than the result.

“I told our football team and they erupted a little bit, a little enthusiasm in the team room,” he said.

Mack, 6-foot-2, 195 pounds, is expected to be an immediate upgrade to Pitt’s wide receiver group that has several able bodies, but little experience.

“Time will tell. We’re not going to anoint anybody any starting jobs,” Narduzzi said. But he admitted, “It makes us a little bit different.”

Translation: This guy can help us.

“He was really our go-to guy (during spring drills),” Narduzzi said. “We expect him to get to that in the next couple weeks. It gives us one more extra weapon, you might say, to help us get it done.

“It’s a great day.”

Mack spent two seasons at Indiana, sitting out his freshman year (2016) before catching 23 passes for 310 yards and three touchdowns last season. He became the first Indiana freshman – actually a redshirt freshman — to gain 100 yards receiving in a game when he totaled 132 against Purdue.

In the spring, he said he transferred to Pitt to get closer to his Brooklyn, N.Y., home. “I saw the growth within the team,” he said.

Mack has built a good relationship with offensive coordinator Shawn Watson, who was with Indiana in 2016.

“He motivated me to stay on top of it,” Mack said. “He said I reminded him of DeVante Parker from Louisville (a first-round draft choice of the Miami Dolphins in 2015). He sees that I can be the No. 1 guy. I just have to keep working at it.”

Watson coached Parker at Louisville.

Despite the uncertainty of playing this season, Mack said he kept preparing for an opportunity that might not come.

“I was always told be ready so I wouldn’t have to get ready,” he said.

To that end, he spent the summer with quarterback Kenny Pickett and the other wide receivers and has been practicing during training camp this month.

“I had a bunch of friends around me, a bunch of coaches around me, who support me day in and day out,” Mack said. “Regardless of if I could play or not, they were with me as a person.”

Narduzzi declined to discuss specifics of the NCAA’s eligibility ruling on Mack, but he praised associate athletic directors Dustin Gray and Chris LaSala for sifting through the necessary paperwork and phone calls. “Making sure when we did go with the waiver, it was done properly,” the coach said.

Narduzzi also thanked Indiana coach Tom Allen, who apparently approved Mack’s immediate eligibility. “When you talk about caring for kids, my hat goes off to that guy for doing the right thing,” he said.

There is a zero percent chance either go in the first round.

You lunatics said the same thing about Boyd and Whitehead. Neither were even in the ball park of a first round pick. Ford and the new receiver 100% will not go in the first.

There is a zero percent chance either go in the first round.

You lunatics said the same thing about Boyd and Whitehead. Neither were even in the ball park of a first round pick. Ford and the new receiver 100% will not go in the first.
Ford is making a huge impression on the coaches.

“He’s a natural playmaker,” offensive coordinator Shawn Watson said.

The bottom line, though, is this: Ford, 20, is still learning. The best part? He’s approaching it seriously, like a student as much as an athlete.

“Coaches’ doors are always open,” he said. “I’m in and out of meetings all the time, getting extra coaching, extra knowledge.”

Senior strong safety Dennis Briggs, a co-captain last season, often lines up with Ford and has noticed his growth.

“I can see the maturity in him,” Briggs said. “He’s asking me questions in the meeting room. He’s always got his notebook out. He genuinely wants to learn the game the right way. He wants to be on the field.

“P’s a little bit ahead of where I was my freshman year.”

Ford is sure of himself, but he expresses his self-confidence matter-of-factly — not like he has something to prove.

“I feel like I can follow the No. 1 receiver and give him problems,” he said. “Be energetic out there.”

The other aspect of Ford’s game — the part Narduzzi is reluctant to discuss freely — is his ability to contribute on offense.

“I hadn’t counted them yet,” Narduzzi said of Ford’s offensive snaps, “but he’s getting some looks.”

“Whatever the team needs, I’m going to get the job done,” said Ford, one of many players running jet sweeps in practice. “Waiting to get the ball in my hands and see what I can do.”

Watson is holding back on his enthusiasm for Ford in the dual role Whitehead played for three years.

“We dabble with Paris,” he said. “We’re trying to just teach him enough to see what he can do. We’re not going to overload him because he’s competing on defense.”

Maybe the best part for Ford this month has been the freedom given him to just play football. Last year, he missed most of training camp while dealing with academic issues and was forced to take a redshirt.

This year, it’s been just football until classes start next week.

“I feel so much more free,” he said. “I was in summer school around this time (last year). I was getting the job done.

“I feel like I’m more mature, being a better person. I feel like I’m taking a step up.”

Part of it is “being around these guys,” he said, mentioning Briggs, junior cornerback Dane Jackson and Avonte Maddox from last season. “Seeing how they carry themselves. Being around them makes you want to live up to their expectations.”

He’s with friends, players he competed with and against in high school. Six players in Pitt’s secondary graduated from WPIAL schools, adding to Ford’s comfort level.

“It’s not like a new face. It’s all familiar faces,” he said. “We all like practicing with each other.”

How all these personalities and talent levels will mesh is unclear. Seven players with starting experience return to the Pitt secondary, but Narduzzi is changing the look nonetheless.

When the NCAA granted schools permission to hire a 10th assistant and last year’s secondary coach Renaldo Hill left for the Miami Dolphins, Narduzzi hired two men for the defensive backs — Archie Collins to oversee everything and Cory Sanders for the safeties. Finishing next-to-last in the ACC in passing yards allowed (254.2 per game last season) won’t be acceptable.

If it’s a challenge Ford is willing to accept.

“Can’t wait,” he said. “Stay tuned.”

You really think PSU fans bought 25,000 season tickets?

Cmon man, I try and be as realistic as possible when it comes to Pitt. I’m telling you like it is here. Pitt routinely sells about 35K+ in season tickets, then plus the student tickets of 10K which normally sell out. Tickets sold don’t always equal butts in seats, as I’m sure you know. So that’s why you see attendance at around 40K for each game.

For Penn State, Pitt season ticket holders were given the opportunity to buy more season tickets so they could give those to Pitt fans for the game on the 8th. This is switched up from 2016.

In reality, expect 50K+ from Pitt, and about 15-20K from PSU. Still a good turnout, but no where near what some on this board suggest.

ou really think PSU fans bought 25,000 season tickets? YES

Cmon man, I try and be as realistic as possible when it comes to Pitt. You need to try harder. I’m telling you like it is here. From a pitt perspective..... Pitt routinely sells about 35K+ in season tickets B.S. unless you count those that are given away at Giant Eagle. , then plus the student tickets of 10K which normally sell out. Tickets sold don’t always equal butts in seats, as I’m sure you know. So that’s why you see attendance at around 40K for each game. That's B.S. The only games there are actually 40K in the stands are for PSU, ND, and WVU. What is reported as 40K in pitt-math is actually 20-25K people.

In reality , expect 50K+ from Pitt, and about 15-20K from PSU. Still a good turnout, but no where near what some on this board suggest Again, your "reality" is skewed by your pitt-bias. We will see the actual reality in 3 weeks and it is unlikely to match the fairy tails spewed by pitt-boys....

Last edited:
Reactions: nittany dave

The bottom line, though, is this: Ford, 20, is still learning. The best part? He’s approaching it seriously, like a student as much as an athlete.

“Coaches’ doors are always open,” he said. “I’m in and out of meetings all the time, getting extra coaching, extra knowledge.”

Senior strong safety Dennis Briggs, a co-captain last season, often lines up with Ford and has noticed his growth.

“I can see the maturity in him,” Briggs said. “He’s asking me questions in the meeting room. He’s always got his notebook out. He genuinely wants to learn the game the right way. He wants to be on the field.

Ford is sure of himself, but he expresses his self-confidence matter-of-factly — not like he has something to prove.

“I feel like I can follow the No. 1 receiver and give him problems,” he said. “Be energetic out there.”

The other aspect of Ford’s game — the part Narduzzi is reluctant to discuss freely — is his ability to contribute on offense.

“I hadn’t counted them yet,” Narduzzi said of Ford’s offensive snaps, “but he’s getting some looks.”

“Whatever the team needs, I’m going to get the job done,” said Ford, one of many players running jet sweeps in practice. “Waiting to get the ball in my hands and see what I can do.”

Watson is holding back on his enthusiasm for Ford in the dual role Whitehead played for three years.

“We dabble with Paris,” he said. “We’re trying to just teach him enough to see what he can do. We’re not going to overload him because he’s competing on defense.”

Maybe the best part for Ford this month has been the freedom given him to just play football. Last year, he missed most of training camp while dealing with academic issues and was forced to take a redshirt.

“I feel so much more free,” he said. “I was in summer school around this time (last year). I was getting the job done.

“I feel like I’m more mature, being a better person. I feel like I’m taking a step up.”

Part of it is “being around these guys,” he said, mentioning Briggs, junior cornerback Dane Jackson and Avonte Maddox from last season. “Seeing how they carry themselves. Being around them makes you want to live up to their expectations.”

He’s with friends, players he competed with and against in high school. Six players in Pitt’s secondary graduated from WPIAL schools, adding to Ford’s comfort level.

“It’s not like a new face. It’s all familiar faces,” he said. “We all like practicing with each other.”

How all these personalities and talent levels will mesh is unclear. Seven players with starting experience return to the Pitt secondary, but Narduzzi is changing the look nonetheless.

When the NCAA granted schools permission to hire a 10th assistant and last year’s secondary coach Renaldo Hill left for the Miami Dolphins, Narduzzi hired two men for the defensive backs — Archie Collins to oversee everything and Cory Sanders for the safeties. Finishing next-to-last in the ACC in passing yards allowed (254.2 per game last season) won’t be acceptable.

How hard is it to make a "huge impression on the coaches" when everyone else running around in practice is a 2 star talent?

All depends on how the offense performs.
Ben DiNucci left for James Madison, star recruit Nick Patti is for the future, and one-time USC super-recruit Ricky Town can play – this is Kenny Pickett’s O to fly. The star of the Miami upset came up big late in the season, and now the expectations are off the charts. He’s expected to carry the team and be the signature star, but he’ll have to be even better than that because …

– The receiving corps is a potential problem. Leading pass catcher Rafael Araujo-Lopes is back, but he’s just okay. Jester Weah – the team’s most explosive target – is gone, and Indiana transfer Taysir Mack won’t be eligible until next year. That means a whole slew of young parts of the puzzle have to rise up and be stronger, including at tight end.

Seven of the top eight pass catchers from last year are back – not including TE Chris Clark, who took a leave of absence from the team – but they all have grow into playmakers. Fortunately, Pickett might be that good, and …

– The running game should be a whole lot better. Darrin Hall is terrific and Qadree Ollison is a good veteran, but the ground game only ran for 1,782 yards and averaged under four yards per carry. However, the talent is there in the backfield, especially with star recruit Mychale Salahuddin a potential part of the fun.

Part of the problem – at least statistically – was that the line couldn’t pass protect, and now three starters are done, including top tackle Brian O’Neill. There are plenty of veterans to play around with, and there’s help from a slew of JUCO transfers and former Kent State tackle Stefano Millin, but this should be the biggest area of focus in fall camp.

The line has to figure out how to dominate on a consistent basis. It might be a problem considering all the moving parts, but after giving up 31 sacks and 79 tackles for loss, keeping the strong ACC lines out of the backfield is a must.

Pitt, potentially, has one of the league’s better backfields, but everyone needs more time and space to work. The ground game that only hit the 200-yard mark twice against FBS teams has too much talent to be that mediocre again.

This guy said Darrin Hall is terrific. That tells you all you need to know. Did he even play other than the Duke game?

Ford isn’t starting in a secondRy with Dane Jackson and Pinnock. That’s pathetic. I actually think they are trying to find a place to put him because he is too dumb

ou really think PSU fans bought 25,000 season tickets? YES

Cmon man, I try and be as realistic as possible when it comes to Pitt. You need to try harder. I’m telling you like it is here. From a pitt perspective..... Pitt routinely sells about 35K+ in season tickets B.S. unless you count those that are given away at Giant Eagle. , then plus the student tickets of 10K which normally sell out. Tickets sold don’t always equal butts in seats, as I’m sure you know. So that’s why you see attendance at around 40K for each game. That's B.S. The only games there are actually 40K in the stand are for PSU, ND, and WVU. What is reported as 40K in pitt-math is actually 20-25K people.

In reality , expect 50K+ from Pitt, and about 15-20K from PSU. Still a good turnout, but no where near what some on this board suggest Again, your "reality" is skewed by your pitt-bias. We will see the actual reality in 3 weeks and it is unlikely to match the fair tails spewed by pitt-boys....

And it appears your reality is skewed by PSU-bias. Cya September 8.

I'll predict that reality is going to hit the Pitters much harder. I'll go with a beat down something along the lines of 24+ points. By the end of the third, most Pitt fans will be either sleeping or signing up for the mechanical bull at Tequila Cowboy.

Nice try at logic on the Lair. Only problem they have with trying to even give away the upper deck tickets to create a better atmosphere for the non-PSU games is that 25K of their 50K season tickets were purchased by PSU alums who throw away the other game tickets. So those tickets are not available to be resold to pitt fans or someone that wants to attend a pitt game. So the only way they could execute this dream is to sell individual tickets to PSU fans for their next PSU game. Oh wait, there is not next PSU pitt home game!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pitt Attendance/Atmosphere continues to hurt recruiting 4/5 star recruits
Discussion in 'Football Board' started by Panther Al, Today at 7:23 AM.

Watch Thread
Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2
12Next >
Go to First Unread

1. Panther AlWalk-on
    NewI saw Heather Lyke's recent comment about selling 50,000 season tickets. Sadly, I've seen this same statement two years ago when Scott Barnes looked like an utter fool "SEASON TICKET RECORD" while Heinz looked like a yellow morgue the rest of the season even after the signature PSU win everyone was looking for. I'm obviously pro on campus vs off campus however then again who is building a new off campus state of the art facilities or moving off campus to a pro stadium these days? The answer is nobody and why Heinz doesn't work. USF and Temple are the latest schools playing in pro stadiums looking to move to an on campus stadium. Regardless of the situation, I want to see improvement with Pitt football and it appears to me that athletics keeps doing the same thing over and over again regardless of the leadership whether its Pederson, Barnes and now Lyke when it comes to Heinz Field.

The reason Pitt wants to play Penn State so badly is because it helps ticket sales which I get however I have a major problem with how Pitt markets the rest of the schedule. I'm sure the Pitt/PSU atmosphere will be great and they will talk it up, but I'm realist and also a frustrated fan because when I see the same results/marketing plan year after year, I know nothing is being changed to fix the problem. The bottom line is we need a much better atmosphere at Heinz for the rest of the other games to attract 4/5 star recruits. Pitt puts out its marketing/promos a month before the season starts? Hello. Who does that? When MLB announces their schedule, the promo schedule comes with it. Pitt clearly has a ticket/atmosphere problem at Heinz vs other teams excluding PSU/ND/WVU and we saw how embarrassing it was all of last year even against a top 10 team in Oklahoma State. ESPN also exposed Heinz Field last year with Pitt and mocked it on college game day which is terrible for recruiting and you can bet that PSU, UM, ND, OSU (whom we compete with for 4/5 star players) use this to their advantage when it comes to negative recruiting. If I was recruiting a kid to come to my school over Pitt, I would absolutely be using this to my advantage because its legal/clean recruiting.

Pitt needs to sell all of the uppers for less attractive games or probably most games such as Albany for $1. Some might say this is crazy but isn't it better to have people in the building who are buying food, merchandise, etc. and might hopefully enjoy the experience and come back for another game or two. Everyone likes cheap tickets, food/drink specials so why not try it? I remember Buck night as a Pitt student back in the 90's and I'm not even a Pirates fan but I went. $1 tix and hot dogs was a great deal to me and it got people to go. How do you sell elite 4/5 star recruits when they see Heinz Field half empty and then go to UM/OSU/ND/PSU the week later for another visit packed with a great atmosphere. I'm sorry but its an impossible task for the coaching staff and I feel we aren't giving Duzz the tools he needs to really grow the program. Are you happy being 7-5 every year and playing in a stupid meaningless Tire Bowl? I'm not. If you go through the schedule for this season and what do you think our record will be? Yep, same results year after year. We do get a few top recruits each year whether its Ford, Hamlin, Whitehead, Boyd, etc. but if you want to compete for championships the formula shows you need 8 to 10 4/5 stars per class. OK, there will be a few cases where I'm wrong like a Wisconsin, but for the most part if you want to compete for ACC championships to potentially get a playoff shot, the entire Heinz strategy needs to change to help recruiting. If you don't want to change the plan, move back to campus so you can build your own 55K seat stadium in Panther hollow or on the OC lot where there is room for it so we can have on campus atmosphere like the schools we compete for elite players. I want to be also be VERY clear that there will always be 2 or 3 star players who turn out to be stars whether its Donald, Revis, etc. but the bottom line is the recruiting rankings don't lie. You can't rely on recruiting these high ceiling players who usually don't pan out otherwise Pitt would have a much better record. We need sure things like a Shady, Boyd, Whitehead, etc. who make a clear different in your program. There will be some 4/5 busts but if you recruit 8 to 10 per class you will be fine for the long run and build depth especially when key players get hurt which we don't have in certain positions.

Lastly, nobody gives a crap about the City of champions, Pitt practicing next to Ben/AB/Bell, playing at the same stadium at the Steelers, etc. We've seen tons of local 4/5 star players who I'm sure grew up diehard Steeler fans (not the Browns) and went elsewhere so that theory clearly doesn't work especially when the Steelers are also a national team. It's beyond frustrating when fans get upset and then strictly want to blame the coaches. Yes, you need good coaching but you need elite players to compete for championships otherwise you get the same results like we are seeing. Unlike the NFL, you can't pay free agents and don't get to draft better players based on having a poor record. That's why recruiting and atmosphere/marketing plays a vital role in Pitt's future success and we've done a terrible job in improving this process. H2P!

1 Panther Al, Today at 7:23 AM
    Like + Quote Reply
    PantherDDS, Schaef60, DiehardPanther and 1 other person like this.
That was very well written.

I stopped in a Barnes & Noble store this afternoon, and they had 2019 college guides on a table. Here is what the 2019 edition of Fiske Guide to Colleges says about pitt:

“A state-related university in the mold of the University of Cincinnati — not the state flagship, but strong in a host of preprofessional programs, especially in health fields.”

Fiske rates Penn State 4.5 out of 5 stars for academics. They rank pitt 3.5 out of 5.

Typical pitt response. But the cameras that show the crowds (when they are accidentally shown, as the pitt admin must direct the broadcast crews to avoid showing the "crowds") the viewer (PSU fans and everyone else) can plainly see that only 50 to 60 percent of the stadium is over 50 percent density with people and really only 25 percent at most looks to be 90+ percent density with attendees. With over 25 percent totally empty. Do the math and tell us how may of the 68,400 seats are really filled. Then you can go to the Lair and continue the running discussion on tarps.

Last edited:
The way Kenny is performing, they could go undefeated.
Pitt’s training camp has been relatively quiet for the most part. Coaches usually don’t want to heap too much praise on a particular player, instead dangling the carrot that they need to continue to improve, etc.

Head coach Pat Narduzzi isn’t flat out gushing over Pickett but it’s easy to see that he’s pleased with what he sees. The bulk of the practice time isn’t open to the media, so we’re sort of at the mercy of the coaches and players to give any real insight on how players are performing. Narduzzi says Pickett is not making mistakes.

“Kenny has been really good,” said Narduzzi. “He’s sharp. He doesn’t make bad decisions. He scrambles with the ball when he needs to. He’s got a great pocket presence—as good as I’ve seen—just knowing when to get out of there and not throw it. So he doesn’t force the ball.”

Pocket presence as good as he’s seen? For a true sophomore, it’s hard not to be encouraged by that. Still, it’s difficult to get an accurate sense of just how good Pickett is right now. The practices are mostly closed and, in terms of actual game time, Pickett’s really played only about 2 1/2 games. In that time, he’s thrown only one interception but the fact remains that he’s still somewhat of a question mark when you’ve played so little. All of that said, Narduzzi’s review of him makes it easy to get excited.

Pickett’s value, of course, includes his mobility. Narduzzi’s saying he just has a natural ability for scrambling.

“That guy has an instinct,” Narduzzi added. “You can teach all you want, but he’s got a knack, too. I’m just watching sometimes the pressures that are coming, how he steps up and weasels around and gets out of them like, ‘holy cow.’

So how does Pickett rank with other quarterbacks during training camps that he’s seen? While Narduzzi freely acknowledged not spending much time with quarterbacks before becoming a head coach at Pitt, he made it clear that Pickett has been the best of the bunch since he’s been with the Panthers. When asked about if any Pitt quarterback has been as mistake-free as Pickett has been, he responded, “Not here.”

Narduzzi is only entering his fourth season, obviously, so he’s not comparing Pickett to dozens of guys or anything. It’s also worth pointing out that he’s not necessarily declaring Pickett to be the best quarterback - only that he has made the fewest mistakes of any Pitt quarterback during camp. That said, that was comparing Pickett’s camp against two camps from Nathan Peterman, who eventually went on to become drafted in the NFL last year.

We still have to temper expectations until Pickett gets on the field this year. There are a lot of factors such as a lack of known playmakers on offense as well as a retooled offensive line But indications out of camp this year are that Pickett is the real deal.

The way Kenny is performing, they could go undefeated.
Pitt’s training camp has been relatively quiet for the most part. Coaches usually don’t want to heap too much praise on a particular player, instead dangling the carrot that they need to continue to improve, etc.

Head coach Pat Narduzzi isn’t flat out gushing over Pickett but it’s easy to see that he’s pleased with what he sees. The bulk of the practice time isn’t open to the media, so we’re sort of at the mercy of the coaches and players to give any real insight on how players are performing. Narduzzi says Pickett is not making mistakes.

“Kenny has been really good,” said Narduzzi. “He’s sharp. He doesn’t make bad decisions. He scrambles with the ball when he needs to. He’s got a great pocket presence—as good as I’ve seen—just knowing when to get out of there and not throw it. So he doesn’t force the ball.”

Pocket presence as good as he’s seen? For a true sophomore, it’s hard not to be encouraged by that. Still, it’s difficult to get an accurate sense of just how good Pickett is right now. The practices are mostly closed and, in terms of actual game time, Pickett’s really played only about 2 1/2 games. In that time, he’s thrown only one interception but the fact remains that he’s still somewhat of a question mark when you’ve played so little. All of that said, Narduzzi’s review of him makes it easy to get excited.

Pickett’s value, of course, includes his mobility. Narduzzi’s saying he just has a natural ability for scrambling.

“That guy has an instinct,” Narduzzi added. “You can teach all you want, but he’s got a knack, too. I’m just watching sometimes the pressures that are coming, how he steps up and weasels around and gets out of them like, ‘holy cow.’

So how does Pickett rank with other quarterbacks during training camps that he’s seen? While Narduzzi freely acknowledged not spending much time with quarterbacks before becoming a head coach at Pitt, he made it clear that Pickett has been the best of the bunch since he’s been with the Panthers. When asked about if any Pitt quarterback has been as mistake-free as Pickett has been, he responded, “Not here.”

Narduzzi is only entering his fourth season, obviously, so he’s not comparing Pickett to dozens of guys or anything. It’s also worth pointing out that he’s not necessarily declaring Pickett to be the best quarterback - only that he has made the fewest mistakes of any Pitt quarterback during camp. That said, that was comparing Pickett’s camp against two camps from Nathan Peterman, who eventually went on to become drafted in the NFL last year.

We still have to temper expectations until Pickett gets on the field this year. There are a lot of factors such as a lack of known playmakers on offense as well as a retooled offensive line But indications out of camp this year are that Pickett is the real deal.

The way Kenny is performing, they could go undefeated. Yes, undefeated in practice.....
Pitt’s training camp has been relatively quiet for the most part. Right, because no one else cares enough to come and see what's going on.
Coaches usually don’t want to heap too much praise on a particular player, instead dangling the carrot that they need to continue to improve, etc. Yep, everyone at a pitt practice needs to improve immensely if they expect to win a game.

Head coach Pat Narduzzi isn’t flat out gushing over Pickett but it’s easy to see that he’s pleased with what he sees. Just like he was pleased with Brown and DeNucci......and we all know where that led pitt to....
The bulk of the practice time isn’t open to the media, so we’re sort of at the mercy of the coaches and players to give any real insight on how players are performing. Narduzzi says Pickett is not making mistakes. Only a pitt-fan would believe Duzzy's rhetoric...

“Kenny has been really good,” said Narduzzi. “He’s sharp. He doesn’t make bad decisions. He scrambles with the ball when he needs to. He’s got a great pocket presence—as good as I’ve seen—just knowing when to get out of there and not throw it. So he doesn’t force the ball.” Yep, the best pitt has. Doesn't force the ball when he has a red shirt on in practice, but he will force it or be on his back on Sept. 8th.

Pocket presence as good as he’s seen? For a true sophomore, it’s hard not to be encouraged by that. Yep, the next QB is always the favorite. Until he starts a few games and shows why no one else wanted him except pitt.
Still, it’s difficult to get an accurate sense of just how good Pickett is right now. About the only thing Duzzy has said that resembles common sense....
The practices are mostly closed and, in terms of actual game time, Pickett’s really played only about 2 1/2 games. In that time, he’s thrown only one interception but the fact remains that he’s still somewhat of a question mark when you’ve played so little. All of that said, Narduzzi’s review of him makes it easy to get excited. His his job to get excited. Unfortunately, it's also his job to win games.

Pickett’s value, of course, includes his mobility. Narduzzi’s saying he just has a natural ability for scrambling. As did DeNucci. He'll need it when the PSU DL is chasing him back to Oakland!

“That guy has an instinct,” Narduzzi added. “You can teach all you want, but he’s got a knack, too. I’m just watching sometimes the pressures that are coming, how he steps up and weasels around and gets out of them like, ‘holy cow.’ Duzzy calls it instinct. But in reality it is self preservation.....

So how does Pickett rank with other quarterbacks during training camps that he’s seen? While Narduzzi freely acknowledged not spending much time with quarterbacks before becoming a head coach at Pitt, he made it clear that Pickett has been the best of the bunch since he’s been with the Panthers. Best practice QB that Duzzy has seen at pitt? Not exactly a glowing endorsement when you take the time to put it in perspective. When asked about if any Pitt quarterback has been as mistake-free as Pickett has been, he responded, “Not here.” The rest of them must have missed a lot of practice time.

Narduzzi is only entering his fourth season, obviously, so he’s not comparing Pickett to dozens of guys or anything. It’s also worth pointing out that he’s not necessarily declaring Pickett to be the best quarterback - only that he has made the fewest mistakes of any Pitt quarterback during camp. That said, that was comparing Pickett’s camp against two camps from Nathan Peterman, who eventually went on to become drafted in the NFL last year. Yep, that's why we know it is B.S. - comparing basically a first year starter to Peterman, the last real QB to play for pitt.

We still have to temper expectations until Pickett gets on the field this year. There are a lot of factors such as a lack of known playmakers (yep, as in NONE) on offense as well as a retooled offensive line ("retooled", another name for a hope and a prayer by plugging in Seniors that were not good enough to start their first 4 years at pitt, the kid that demo derby'd Oakland, and a grad transfer that could not find a better home than a team coming off a 5-7 season with no real hope of improvement) But indications out of camp this year are that Pickett is the real deal. Yep, the real deal!!!

When will you learn about the ineptitude of our mods? Pitt people can post anything they want here. We, on the other hand, cannot post on the Lair even if one of our neighbors' relatives even breathed in a single molecule of carbon dioxide that was once near the body of a PSU fan or graduate.

The only thing that makes our mods move quickly is a political response that is in contradiction to their own beliefs. When that happens, they move at the speed of light.
Oh really? Our own political beliefs? No, there's no reason a civil discourse should not be allowed. If it's such a problem, don't read it. Really that simple. As far as politics, my record is very clear and I ban all politics. That's for the test board.

This is like a fillibuster.

Maybe we should post pics of Pitt’s empty stadium for every pointless article this guy c&p’s.

IMG_8359.jpg

I don't see how that translates (adds up) to 41K normal (non PSU/ND/WVU) game attendance. But then again I didn't get my engineering degree from pitt.....

Oh really? Our own political beliefs? No, there's no reason a civil discourse should not be allowed. If it's such a problem, don't read it. Really that simple. As far as politics, my record is very clear and I ban all politics. That's for the test board.

Could you stop the guy constantly cutting and pasting Pitt articles, please? That’s not dialogue. It’s spam.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT