ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt and Penn State fans yesterday

Nitwit

Jul 18, 2001
Pennsylvania
There were fewer Pitt fans then I expected to see, but it was also a friendly and festive environment on a perfect football Saturday. Many tailgates included fans from both teams and I never once heard any disparaging or inflammatory comments from fans on either side. People were downright friendly, and it made for a great college football atmosphere. In fact the worst I saw was the Shitt on Pitt tee shirts on a few of our own fanbase. I think it's time we lost those. Fathers with young children wearing those? No thanks. And of course the booing of their team when they entered the stadium. I have no problem with that. It's sort of done in humor anyway. Their band and cheerleaders were great and added to the atmosphere. Overall a good day and I look forward to playing them again in 2 years at the Beav.

I still don't see it as a rivalry and don't feel that Penn State needs to play pitt, but I made the same observations yesterday. The experience at Heinz last year was better than I expected but not nearly as fan-friendly as yesterday.

Last edited:
I saw an incident in the stadium. From what I could gather, a 45ish Pitt fan had some kind of beef with a 19ish kid. Then was telling the kid's Dad (presumably), I'll eff you up. In fairness, I don't know who was the instigator, but seriously, grow the **** up (both sides)...........All in all, I thought it was a good crowd. With a buck 8 or 9 in there, percentages say there will be a few ass hats.

Mixed fans in my section. I did not see any bad stuff, thankfully, but I didn't have time to tailgate.

Reactions: PSUoh90
Agree with atmosphere. Must have had 10 young Pittsburgh fans at our tailgate and a few 40 somethings. Frankly almost no discussion of the game or what may have once been an intense rivalry. People were there to party and many on either side didn't go to game or seem to care to. Maybe that's the state of things now for many when it comes to this game.

Booing a visiting team as they enter the field is a tradition.
Should only be reserved for special schools, i.e. OSU, Michigan and Pitt.

I guess growing up in the 70's I remember most opponents were clapped for when they entered the stadium except for your archenemy rival. There has been a significant decline in sportsmanship over the years.

When I sat near the visiting team entrance, fans used to clap when the opposing team left the field, if they lost. I was impressed by that. Drew Brees seemed startled he got a standing ovation from PSU fans for his effort as he left the field.

There were fewer Pitt fans then I expected to see, but it was also a friendly and festive environment on a perfect football Saturday. Many tailgates included fans from both teams and I never once heard any disparaging or inflammatory comments from fans on either side. People were downright friendly, and it made for a great college football atmosphere. In fact the worst I saw was the Shitt on Pitt tee shirts on a few of our own fanbase. I think it's time we lost those. Fathers with young children wearing those? No thanks. And of course the booing of their team when they entered the stadium. I have no problem with that. It's sort of done in humor anyway. Their band and cheerleaders were great and added to the atmosphere. Overall a good day and I look forward to playing them again in 2 years at the Beav.

Agee I expected a lot more pitt fans, there were more in '99.
Yes they seemed to be pretty well behaved and as for those "shirts" that they were going to give away at the statue. LOL, yea nothing. Typical Lair posters All talk and absolutely no muscle.

When I sat near the visiting team entrance, fans used to clap when the opposing team left the field, if they lost. I was impressed by that. Drew Brees seemed startled he got a standing ovation from PSU fans for his effort as he left the field.

Every once in awhile, fans respect the opposing team or at least one of their players. Otherwise, it's indifference, disdain, or OUTRAGE. :eek: .

I had three Pitt fans sit directly behind me. The lady wouldn't sit so that pisswd the PSU faithful off behind her. They were ragging a lot on Trace, calling him small and inaccurate while they were down 14-3. I pointed out to my dad, who was wearing Pitt gear, that Max Brown was not better and not very fleet of foot. I was being nice. As the game wore on, the Pitt fans would comment that Trace looked bad and Barkley was a beast. After the safety, I commented that was a bad play call, but at least Max Brown got his target. One of the Pitt fans then said yeah, yeah he is our brother and grandson. I was very polite and then said, he is a beast with the shovel pass. They laughed.

One thing I noted to my wife, at Pitt there were many fans with "Joe Knew" tee shirts. However I didn't see one at Beaver Stadium. Smart idea on their part.

I was really surprised how few Pitt fans there were - I have seen more fans from Nebraska show up for a game and considering most of their fans have the same drive to PSU as Penn State fans is was surprising - I guess they really earn that rep as a zero support for your team group. All talk I guess - the ones I did speak to were just like any other fans and nothing like the half wit tools on the liar. I guess Dominos wouldn't give them the time off to go to be game - those people really give their other fans a bad rep. I am sure it's all hate over there today - but hey they have their key chains from last year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT