ADVERTISEMENT

Peach Bowl desperately wants Penn State

Most projections don't have us against Tulane or whatever random group of 5 team makes it.

If the 8 non playoff NY6 teams are.....Bama, Washington, Michigan, Texas, Mizzou, Ole Miss, PSU, Tulane.

Mizzou is not playing Tulane, bad ratings.

Bama, Michigan do not play them because they will want them playing each other.

That leaves us, Ole Miss, Washington and Texas as the 4 left. Hoping they stick them in Dallas vs Texas. They need a big brand to go against. In years past the group of 5 has played these games:

2014: #20 Boise State vs #10 Arizona in Fiesta Bowl
2015: #18 Houston vs #9 FSU in Peach Bowl
2016: #15 Western Michigan vs #8 Wisconsin in Cotton Bowl
2017: #12 UCF vs #7 Auburn in Peach Bowl
2018: #8 UCF vs #11 LSU in Fiesta Bowl
2019: #17 Memphis vs #10 PSU in Cotton Bowl
2020: #8 Cincinnati vs #9 Georgia in Peach Bowl
2021: #4 Cincinnati in playoff vs #1 Bama in Cotton Bowl
2022: #16 Tulane vs #10 USC in Cotton Bowl

Recent history shows a trend to pit the Group of 5 versus a big brand opponent that has a strong fan base and will garner good TV ratings....Auburn, LSU, PSU, Georgia, USC (USC does not travel well but has a huge brand name with good TV ratings). Also, the Peach or Cotton are the most common destinations for the group of 5.

There is no way Mizzou plays them. I see Ole Miss going to the Peach Bowl and I think we would be their opponent. They probably leave UDub in the Fiesta. I think Texas could be the odd man out if the playoff falls that way.
You listed it yourself--Tulane in the Cotton last year. Very unlikely they send them to the same bowl two years in a row. If it is a different G5 team, then sure.

Peach and Cotton were the common destination for G5 teams because Rose, Sugar, and Orange had secure conference affiliations.

If Ole Miss is in the NY6, then who drops out? They are #12 in CFP. Tulane or another G5 gets in so it's really top 11 who get in (barring an upset in a conference championship game where an unranked or very low ranked team gets the bid).

Reactions: Obliviax
I’ll be stepping aside from posting for a while. Because I intend on reporting every person that’s ever posted here, (in any thread) and all that keying in and concocting individual reasons is going to take some time

You listed it yourself--Tulane in the Cotton last year. Very unlikely they send them to the same bowl two years in a row. If it is a different G5 team, then sure.

Peach and Cotton were the common destination for G5 teams because Rose, Sugar, and Orange had secure conference affiliations.

If Ole Miss is in the NY6, then who drops out? They are #12 in CFP. Tulane or another G5 gets in so it's really top 11 who get in (barring an upset in a conference championship game where an unranked or very low ranked team gets the bid).
Louisville drops out. Thinking they lose to FSU.

Yeah, good point, if Tulane makes it again then they were in the Cotton bowl last year so they won't go again. Maybe they throw them out to the Fiesta vs UDub. I just don't want to play some group of 5 team and it sucks we have to worry about getting a crap matchup like that. Yes, I understand we could lose to a Tulane but the optics of playing them and the interest level are not good.

Louisville drops out. Thinking they lose to FSU.

Yeah, good point, if Tulane makes it again then they were in the Cotton bowl last year so they won't go again. Maybe they throw them out to the Fiesta vs UDub. I just don't want to play some group of 5 team and it sucks we have to worry about getting a crap matchup like that. Yes, I understand we could lose to a Tulane but the optics of playing them and the interest level are not good.
I hope Louisville does lose vs FSU. They should have lost to Miami last week. Missouri should have lost to Florida as well. Both would have pretty much secured a NY6 bid (with a win over MSU).

If anyone other than Texas wins B12 and Louisville wins the ACC, we are out.

I hope Louisville does lose vs FSU. They should have lost to Miami last week. Missouri should have lost to Florida as well. Both would have pretty much secured a NY6 bid (with a win over MSU).
Agree
Texas/Big 12 is likely the key team/conference, but not necessarily on Louisville. Right now both the Cards and FSU are in the NY6, so that could just be re-arranging who goes where.

Based off the Peach Bowl CEO's comments I would say we are getting a bid from them as long as we win Friday. 11th is good enough barring some wild finishes.

If Louisville beats UK then FSU then you could see something like this...

Playoff: Oregon/Wash, Mich/OSU, UGA, Texas

Peach: PSU vs Mizzou or OSU/Mich vs Mizzou or PSU vs Tulane
Orange: FSU vs Bama
Fiesta: Louisville vs OSU/Mich or Louisville vs PSU
Cotton: Tulane vs Oregon/Wash or Mizzou vs Oregon/Washington

We want FSU to survive and make the playoff or at least Louisville to get a 3rd loss. Otherwise you are stuck with both Tulane and Louisville in NY6 and I think they both represent unattractive opponents. We could end up having to play one of them. I don't think they will have a NY6 bowl of Tulane vs Louisville unless a network exec green lighting that matchup wants to get canned.

This would be better if FSU makes playoff then you could have something like this...

Playoff: FSU, UGA, OSU/Mich, Texas or Oregon/Wash

Peach: PSU vs Ole Miss
Orange: Bama vs OSU/Mich
Fiesta: Mizzou vs Oregon/Washington/Texas
Cotton: Tulane vs Texas/Oregon/Washington

Does anyone know how these 4 non playoff NY6 games are paired and put together? Is it a 1st pick for each bowl then a 2nd pick for each after each has their first pick? I know the ACC is locked into the Orange if they are not in a playoff game. I think the Cotton likes a B12 team.
we'd better be careful about who we want to play. We have so many seniors with NFL aspirations who might just opt out that we could duplicate our success against arkansas a couple of years back

Reactions: MacNit2.0
we'd better be careful about who we want to play. We have so many seniors with NFL aspirations who might just opt out that we could duplicate our success against arkansas a couple of years back

That team was pretty weak with its best players. 8 opt outs just spelled disaster as far as giving us a chance.

It feels like one of those years in regard to the bowl game. That happens sometimes. I don’t expect Penn State to show well this year, whereas last year we played really well in the Rose Bowl.

Truth be told, Mizzou led FL all the way in that game except when the Gators got the lead in the last two minutes. Mizzou got conservative and let them back in the game in the 4th qtr but had the wherewithal to pull it out in the end.

Reactions: djm_psu_alum
Agree. I think most likely opt outs are: Olu, Jacobs, King (DB), Chop, Adissa, and maybe Dixon. Those are the key members of this team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT