ADVERTISEMENT

Peach Bowl desperately wants Penn State

I agree about Louisville. It's clear the CFP committee views them as the worst 1-loss team and that single loss is only reason they are where they are. I suspect if they lose to Kentucky, they will plummet. If they lose a close one to FSU, maybe they drop 2-4 spots.
Agree. They have a tendency to pump up teams before big games. So PSU will jump them if they lose either of the next two games.

I am seeing less and less vs Tulane and more versus Washington, Alabama and others.

Reactions: step.eng69
I like it...however, Lousiville Strength of Schedule is 74th while Penn State's is 18th. They lost to Pitt and still have Kentucky and FSU to play (in the championship, although without FSU's star QB). Their big win was ND and Duke (after their star QB got hurt). Common opponent was Indiana whom they beat 21-14.
Losing to the pathetic pitters should disqualify Lousiville from any bowl consideration, let alone an NY6.

Losing to the pathetic pitters should disqualify Lousiville from any bowl consideration, let alone an NY6.
it's true. While our best win is Iowa, compared to theirs being ND, we lost to two top four teams while they lost to Pitt.

Reactions: bison13
Root against Louisville and for Texas and FSU to win their ccg to avoid 2 teams from the B12 and ACC getting into NY6. Also want Oregon and Wash playing in Pac 12 ccg so want them both to win this week. Need one of them in playoff and other in NY6. Can't have a third like Oregon St winning the ccg.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Peach Bowl rescheduled from 12/29 to
Saturday 12/30 @ noon.
I was hoping to have a nice evening party for the game, not a noon party.
Another freaking noon game. must be interfering with pro afternoon and evening games.

I can't take f'ing noon games any more.............. Though a bowl game is an exception.

• Love
I like the bowl, don't like the opponent. Tulane beat USC last year. They are dangerous but you gain nothing by beating them. it is expected. A loss is a disaster.

Tulane lost to Miss State in their second game. They play UTSA (U of TX at San Antonio) who is 8-3 so the last game isn't a gimme. it looks like they'll play SMU in their conference championship game. IF SMU loses to Navy, Tulane and UTSA would play again for the championship?
Um, I believe Tulane lost to Ole Miss in that game. Tulane played without their starting QB and should have won. (Not that I want to play them since we will likely have opt outs).

I like the bowl, don't like the opponent. Tulane beat USC last year. They are dangerous but you gain nothing by beating them. it is expected. A loss is a disaster.

Tulane lost to Miss State in their second game. They play UTSA (U of TX at San Antonio) who is 8-3 so the last game isn't a gimme. it looks like they'll play SMU in their conference championship game. IF SMU loses to Navy, Tulane and UTSA would play again for the championship?

My wife went to Tulane, playing them in a bowl game would suck. Thought G5s went to the cotton most seasons?

That would be horrible. Tulane’s not much better. They need to drop this G5 team guaranteed spot mess.

Can you imagine Penn State vs Liberty in the Peach Bowl?
No I can't so don't bring it up.

It was definitely anti-Penn State when we were there in 2017. I wrote out it as part of our weekend in town.

I don’t know if it got any better. Not having Paterno on the coach’s wall of quotes was what really ticked me off.

If you would have told me before the season we will be 10-2 and the peach bowl I would think that's a failure. Anyone not sure about that is lying.

It's good to be wanted. This would be a great landing place for PSU because the Peach Bowl has increased in relevance, and also the team that we would play would be a big name opponent. Hopefully, we don't lay an egg against MSU like in 2017.
Was 2017 the delayed game?

That would be horrible. Tulane’s not much better. They need to drop this G5 team guaranteed spot mess.

Can you imagine Penn State vs Liberty in the Peach Bowl?
Last night's rankings....validates this. Tulane has UTSA and SMU....the odds are they don't win one of those or maybe both. Liberty has two games left. If Tulane, Liberty and Toledo all lose, one of their last two games. It could be a 2 loss UNLV or SMU team as the G5 representative.

• Sad
Yup, the consensus is that we're a lock for NY6. I mean, the Peach Bowl honcho thinks so, and he's no doubt well connected.

Now just don't screw it up by laying an egg against Michigan State on Friday.
MSU is playing better then earlier in the year so a good thumping on Black Friday will help.Here’s hoping that happens

To be fair to Tulane, their starting quarterback didn't play against Mississippi St.

To be fair to Tulane, their starting quarterback didn't play against Mississippi St.
Thanks. I funny mean to diss them. They are a good team and beat USC last year. Just that they don’t lift our program.

For Christ's sake Lousiville lost to Pitt. They suck.
Yep....but think of how the committee is looking at this. If they lose to Fl St they'll drop below us as a two-loss team. But if they beat FL St and KY, they deserve to be ahead of us.

Interesting. Can you elaborate? Never been there.
Well, for starters there is not a single piece of PSU merchandise for sale (VERY conspicuous in its absence) but some things for all other teams of note (and may much, much less prominent in football than PSU.

And not a single mention of Joe Paterno (best big game coach ever and all-to e winningest coach).

I remember being furious at both. Never again.

Well, for starters there is not a single piece of PSU merchandise for sale (VERY conspicuous in its absence) but some things for all other teams of note (and may much, much less prominent in football than PSU.

And not a single mention of Joe Paterno (best big game coach ever and all-to e winningest coach).

I remember being furious at both. Never again.
There was substantial damage done in 2020 during the riots. Of note, CNN traditional HQ (they just stopped broadcasting anything there) is right across the street. There are several places to eat there. They sold it and moved out in Q1 of this year so it may be different as the new owners took over and may have changed it.

There was substantial damage done in 2020 during the riots. Of note, CNN traditional HQ (they just stopped broadcasting anything there) is right across the street. There are several places to eat there. They sold it and moved out in Q1 of this year so it may be different as the new owners took over and may have changed it.

South Bend is a hole. But may be better to move it back.

Most projections don't have us against Tulane or whatever random group of 5 team makes it.

If the 8 non playoff NY6 teams are.....Bama, Washington, Michigan, Texas, Mizzou, Ole Miss, PSU, Tulane.

Mizzou is not playing Tulane, bad ratings.

Bama, Michigan do not play them because they will want them playing each other.

That leaves us, Ole Miss, Washington and Texas as the 4 left. Hoping they stick them in Dallas vs Texas. They need a big brand to go against. In years past the group of 5 has played these games:

2014: #20 Boise State vs #10 Arizona in Fiesta Bowl
2015: #18 Houston vs #9 FSU in Peach Bowl
2016: #15 Western Michigan vs #8 Wisconsin in Cotton Bowl
2017: #12 UCF vs #7 Auburn in Peach Bowl
2018: #8 UCF vs #11 LSU in Fiesta Bowl
2019: #17 Memphis vs #10 PSU in Cotton Bowl
2020: #8 Cincinnati vs #9 Georgia in Peach Bowl
2021: #4 Cincinnati in playoff vs #1 Bama in Cotton Bowl
2022: #16 Tulane vs #10 USC in Cotton Bowl

Recent history shows a trend to pit the Group of 5 versus a big brand opponent that has a strong fan base and will garner good TV ratings....Auburn, LSU, PSU, Georgia, USC (USC does not travel well but has a huge brand name with good TV ratings). Also, the Peach or Cotton are the most common destinations for the group of 5.

There is no way Mizzou plays them. I see Ole Miss going to the Peach Bowl and I think we would be their opponent. They probably leave UDub in the Fiesta. I think Texas could be the odd man out if the playoff falls that way.

Most projections don't have us against Tulane or whatever random group of 5 team makes it.

If the 8 non playoff NY6 teams are.....Bama, Washington, Michigan, Texas, Mizzou, Ole Miss, PSU, Tulane.

Mizzou is not playing Tulane, bad ratings.

Bama, Michigan do not play them because they will want them playing each other.

That leaves us, Ole Miss, Washington and Texas as the 4 left. Hoping they stick them in Dallas vs Texas. They need a big brand to go against. In years past the group of 5 has played these games:

2014: #20 Boise State vs #10 Arizona in Fiesta Bowl
2015: #18 Houston vs #9 FSU in Peach Bowl
2016: #15 Western Michigan vs #8 Wisconsin in Cotton Bowl
2017: #12 UCF vs #7 Auburn in Peach Bowl
2018: #8 UCF vs #11 LSU in Fiesta Bowl
2019: #17 Memphis vs #10 PSU in Cotton Bowl
2020: #8 Cincinnati vs #9 Georgia in Peach Bowl
2021: #4 Cincinnati in playoff vs #1 Bama in Cotton Bowl
2022: #16 Tulane vs #10 USC in Cotton Bowl

Recent history shows a trend to pit the Group of 5 versus a big brand opponent that has a strong fan base and will garner good TV ratings....Auburn, LSU, PSU, Georgia, USC (USC does not travel well but has a huge brand name with good TV ratings). Also, the Peach or Cotton are the most common destinations for the group of 5.

There is no way Mizzou plays them. I see Ole Miss going to the Peach Bowl and I think we would be their opponent. They probably leave UDub in the Fiesta. I think Texas could be the odd man out if the playoff falls that way.
good points. I have to think the bowls want the ratings that PSU drives so all else being equal, they don't want PSU playing a team nobody cares about. A PSU vs Tulane would be very much less than AL/WA/O/OM/TX/MO.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT