ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Penn State vs. Ohio State Dual Thread (2/3/23)

Even gassed, he did defend McKee's last attack well and then he almost got another one of his own. To beat Spencer, you have to take him to the third and then do a Ramos move basically. Nobody in college can pull it off though.

The HR GOAT gassed in the 2nd period and McKee failed to take advantage.

Not a Hodge worthy performance at all.
And the turn for 4 should have been wiped out. I need to make time to go back and watch Spencer's matches this year. Alot easier to turn a kid when you have a handful of singlet to aid on the turn.

Reactions: nitlion6
It's hard not to be pretty happy with where PSU stands at this point and with how they wrestled tonight (given that we know they had another hard week). 125 is what it is and we're stuck with it unless Steen can really get his head together and find a way to qualify at the Big Ten tournament, but it sure doesn't look like we'd need him anyway. RBY trounced a really good and really dangerous young wrestler. Just trounced him and should have majored him. Bartlett picks up a hard-fought win against a kid that he later said he was 0-8 against in their careers. Van Ness still struggling to find his offense against the best guys, but geez, he's a freshman and the guys that he's lost to are far from chopped liver (and he did get a first period takedown against Sasso and that's not easy to do). He's right where you'd expect him to be and he's probably a really, really bad match up for almost anyone he's going to see at NCAAs. Haines looks otherworldly at times and positively thumps a decent opponent (which probably could have/should have been a tech fall). Facundo wins against a higher ranked guy who's a returning All American (and he deserved to win, regardless of whether the penalty point was justified or not). Starocci takes care of business, Brooks takes care of business against an opponent who doesn't want to engage. Dean just hurts his opponent and picks up the unexpected fall and Kerkvliet does as expected and gets bonus against a top 20 guy. I like it. Would love to see Steen gain some confidence and find a way to qualify. Would love to see Bartlett, Van Ness and Facundo continue working on their offense and getting off bottom quickly, but otherwise, it's just a joy to watch this team wrestle.

Last edited:
And the turn for 4 should have been wiped out. I need to make time to go back and watch Spencer's matches this year. Alot easier to turn a kid when you have a handful of singlet to aid on the turn.

Yes, it is illegal to grab the singlet - just getting your hand / fingers stuck for a moment is not illegal, but taking a handful and hanging on absolutely is illegal.

LOL at Tan Tom shouting "two shots to none!" in the 184 lb bout. This after Brooks chasing Romero all over the mat for the first two periods.

I don't doubt that Ryan's probably an OK guy in the end, but his on-the-mat antics are just clownlike. I get that he wants to win and wants to stand up for his guys, but he constantly tries to defend the indefensible and it gets really old. I'm surprised that he doesn't come to the mat with a sack full of bricks to throw.

It's hard not to be pretty happy with where PSU stands at this point and with how they wrestled tonight (given that we know they had another hard week). 125 is what it is and we're stuck with it unless Steen can really get his head together and find a way to qualify at the Big Ten tournament, but it sure doesn't look like we'd need him anyway. RBY trounced a really good and really dangerous young wrestler. Just trounced him and should have majored him. Bartlett picks up a hard-fought win against a kid that he later said he was 0-8 against in their careers. Van Ness still struggling to find his offense against the best guys, but geez, he's a freshman and the guys that he's lost to are far from chopped liver (and he did get a first period takedown against Sasso and that's not easy to do). He's right where you'd expect him to be and he's probably a really, really bad match up for almost anyone he's going to see at NCAAs. Haines looks otherworldly at times and positively thumps a decent opponent. Facundo wins against a higher ranked guy who's a returning All American (and he deserved to win, regardless of whether the penalty point was justified or not). Starocci takes care of business, Brooks takes care of business against an opponent who doesn't want to engage. Dean just hurts his opponent and picks up the unexpected fall and Kerkvliet does as expected and gets bonus against a top 20 guy. I like it. Would love to see Steen gain some confidence and find a way to qualify. Would love to see Bartlett, Van Ness and Facundo continue working on their offense and getting off bottom quickly, but otherwise, it's just a joy to watch this team wrestle.
Would like to see Bartlett, Van Ness and Facundo put a long, mean ride on someone too

LOL at Tan Tom shouting "two shots to none!" in the 184 lb bout. This after Brooks chasing Romero all over the mat for the first two periods.
I'm still wondering how you can get your fingers caught so deep in your opponent's headgear you dislocate a finger but the ref doesn't call you for grabbing it.

Reactions: donm and nitlion6
Only thing that needs done now is Vespa needs to be the 125 pounder. Otherwise...we're good to go.
LOL
vector-broken-record.jpg

Great wrestling tonight and happy with all the guys. Bartlett got to legs and got the win. SVN lost to sasso but he was shooting and got a takedown of his own. Levi Haines is super impressive. I know Paddy isn’t ranked but he was a high end recruit that gave Levi a tough match last year. This one wasn’t close. Facundo getting another big win was great as well.

I don't doubt that Ryan's probably an OK guy in the end, but his on-the-mat antics are just clownlike. I get that he wants to win and wants to stand up for his guys, but he constantly tries to defend the indefensible and it gets really old. I'm surprised that he doesn't come to the mat with a sack full of bricks to throw.
Totally agree. All evidence indicates that in the big picture Ryan is a good guy, but man some of his mat-side antics and (and off-mat quotes) sure are douche-like. Such as the timeless "Not how we would have handled it." LOL.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT