ADVERTISEMENT

Wrestling Penn State vs. Ohio State Dual Thread (2/3/23)

And to think, I was bummed when tOSU got Paddy.

Not to worry, Goggles crystal ball certified by Ernst & Young, accurate 34.72% of the time, down 0.09% with that call.

PS - Cael does it again. Levi, just a cub 3 months ago, turning into a rabid beast before our very eyes.
To follow up on your “PS”, if Paddy had gone to PSU, with a different coach and the best room in the country, his trajectory might have been different.

Did Ohio st get better on bottom? It doesn’t seem like it is as much of a liability as it has been in the past.
anyone there did they boo Carter at the start of his match, if so should we be starting a thread about it?
Yes, passive comments about it while even more passive comments about how great we are as a fan base will do.

I'll let it string out for a while and make a comment like people from Ohio don't know wrestling.

Someone can then make aggressive comments tying Jim Jordan's record to the entire state and fanbase.

We can then follow up with we are the greatest place on earth for wrestling and see what happens.

It's hard to say because he is literally leveling up every 2 weeks.
Is he? I mean this is who he was to begin the year sans a bad weight cut at the Army Open. Not to say he isn’t improving, that would be silly. But he was a very good, AA caliber kid to begin the year who has improved as he’s gotten more mat time. This is just sort of what he is and now everyone is being exposed to it

And to think, I was bummed when tOSU got Paddy.

Not to worry, Goggles crystal ball certified by Ernst & Young, accurate 34.72% of the time, down 0.09% with that call.

PS - Cael does it again. Levi, just a cub 3 months ago, turning into an rabid beast before our very eyes.
I have to admit to being bummed when we lost out on Chance Marsteller and had to settle for that Bo Nickal guy. My disappoint went away pretty fast.

I thought the ref was decent. I wish he would of had Iowa match. Quick on calling stalemate and nailed a kid for head tactics. We didn't see that last week.
I did think he missed a 2 count in Levi's match. Also not sure on what he saw on the Penn State challenge. If the announcers we're correct about the rule ,the kid certainly left his feet.??
He was wrong on the backtrip. The OSU kid was a definition of what is not allowed. But he evened things when he did not give OSU a point for PSU pulling on the singlet.

Reactions: Zukovski
It was. It may have been the most fun dual also. ISU showed to wrestle, not to keep it close.
It's like watching
Cenzo wrestle Isiah White. Van Ness forward stalking and Johnson never even leaning forward let alone actually stepping forward.

No stall calls. Total bullsh&t!

SVN goes down 3-2 after taking endless shots w/no stalls on Johnson

REF Make em wrestle.

That's not quite true -- Johnson got the PIAA Special stall call with under 10 sec left.

There was one stall at the very end. I thought Paniro should've had a stall call in the first.

Should have been stall call in 2nd as well.

5 minutes 50 seconds of no forward movement by Johnson b4 a stall call.

will Iowa State every shoot, back up, back up, rinse and repeat
Some quotes from the Penn St vs Iowa St thread.

try-hard-wannabe.gif

Dude. You have too much available time on your hands.

Your feelings are hurt because a couple PSU fans think the ISU match was more fun to watch than the Iowa match.
You’re mad because it shows your statement now didn’t match your comments during that match.

Reactions: NCPsuFan
You’re mad because it shows your statement now didn’t match your comments during that match.
Your reasoning and ability to process and think led you to conclude that my dislike for Johnson's wrestling style is absolute evidence that I could not have found the entire PSU v ISU more entertaining than the PSU v Iowa match?

For an intellectual reach that is rather pathetic. But, hey knock yourself out. I find it rather humorous you are offended by the thought PSU wrestling fans were more entertained by the Cyclones' efforts compared to the Hawks' efforts. Hell, if it turns out the Cyclones end up being that team that always finishes ahead of Iowa when Iowa is finishing somewhere behind Penn State I think you might join your typical HR brethren with the typical HR post nationals meltdown.

You all have become a little more accepting of your place in line, some place to the rear of Penn State. The idea of being second best in wrestling in the state of Iowa scares you guys worse than the realization you aren't catching PSU.

I don't think pointing out reality is trolling. I love this board, but during the ISU dual it seemed as if I had fallen into the cesspool. There were Cyclone fans saying pretty much the exact same thing during the Carr/Facunda that you guys were saying during SVN/PJ. We see the world how we want to see it.

Based upon your awesome research you posted about PSU fans complaining about the lack of excitement level in the ISU match in comparison to your Hawkeyes match, we have a couple of choices:

1. God bless you for taking the time to perform this vital research
2. Laugh in your face for spending the time to dig out those posts from 6 weeks ago on an uterly trivial subject

Really, who the hell cares if PSU posters found one match was more exciting than another, especially when the point of comparison was the recent PSU/Iowa match which had many matches that were about as exciting as watching paint dry.

This is a quote from a meme I received this morning and you should take it to heart "Life is short. Make sure you spend as much time as possible on the internet arguing with strangers about politics." For you, substitute wrestling for politics.

Before you fire back at me for being guilty of the same thing, I consider this post to be an attempt at an Intervention for you.

Have a nice day, I will go back to laughing at you now.

Malik never AAd.

To give up bonus points as easy as Gary has this year shows me lack of growth or effort. We have guys over the last few years clearly outmanned at this weight but would wrestle hard and keep their losses to a decision. This is my issue with Steen. Not ripping on him. Just stating the obvious.

I have a real appreciation for guys like Schnupp and Meredith the last few years
I stand corrected, he was a 2 time NCAA qualifier not AA.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Based upon your awesome research you posted about PSU fans complaining about the lack of excitement level in the ISU match in comparison to your Hawkeyes match, we have a couple of choices:

1. God bless you for taking the time to perform this vital research
2. Laugh in your face for spending the time to dig out those posts from 6 weeks ago on an uterly trivial subject

Really, who the hell cares if PSU posters found one match was more exciting than another, especially when the point of comparison was the recent PSU/Iowa match which had many matches that were about as exciting as watching paint dry.

This is a quote from a meme I received this morning and you should take it to heart "Life is short. Make sure you spend as much time as possible on the internet arguing with strangers about politics." For you, substitute wrestling for politics.

Before you fire back at me for being guilty of the same thing, I consider this post to be an attempt at an Intervention for you.

Have a nice day, I will go back to laughing at you now.
Who cares if someone thinks differently? I enjoy the matches and some are more exciting than others .
Iowa wrestling fans are similar to ND and Michigan football fans imo. They get amazed that you are not amazed at their amazing ness. Forgetting their history isn’t something most fans care about beyond a casual basis.
I have a surface level love for wrestling history ( very surface level) but I’m a big fan of PSU.
I wouldn’t even be watching wrestling if PSU was run of the mill. They have a hard time grasping this.

Reactions: PSU Fan in TN
Yes, passive comments about it while even more passive comments about how great we are as a fan base will do.

I'll let it string out for a while and make a comment like people from Ohio don't know wrestling.

Someone can then make aggressive comments tying Jim Jordan's record to the entire state and fanbase.

We can then follow up with we are the greatest place on earth for wrestling and see what happens.
so I guess tan tom thinks sit outs beat take downs??LOL

Who knew lovers of tough wrestling would become so thin-skinned?

When Junior avoiding bonus points is boast-worthy, and passive-aggressive posts dominate their contribution to our board, you know there is no joy in Mudville ... er, HR.

Last edited:
Yea, the 3rd takedown of the match was bittersweet. Starocci is one of my favorite non-Buckeye wrestlers and I was rooting for him to go the whole season without giving up a takedown. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that was the only takedown of the season against Starocci.
You are correct, he is about 60-1 on takedowns this year, depending on how many happened in that match. Going in he was 59-0

Look. I realize now it was one match where most of those comments generated. I didn’t realize it would cause quite this much uproar but I’m definitely not trying to troll anyone. My apologies for coming off that way.

All good. It just seems like since about 7 days before the Iowa vs PSU dual to present, there’s been nothing but calling out what folks posted. Never in a very bad way, mind you, but almost nothing else and at a very, very high volume. Maybe create a few handles and pretend to be different people. (Kidding)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT