ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Penn State surives late 16-5 run from Indiana to win 77-73

Dylan Callaghan-Croley

Staff
Jun 14, 2020
Reactions: NedFromYork
No.10 Penn State survived a late 16-5 run from #Indiana to hold on for a 77-73 victory over the No.2 Hoosiers on Saturday afternoon in the Big Ten semifinals.

Penn State will play for the Big Ten title on Sunday afternoon against No.1 Purdue.

Boiler👎

Boiler👎
So after two brutal losses to Purdue, how does PSU defend them?
-Can't double Edy because they have other scorers.
--Have to try to make him uncomfortable by denying him the spots he likes to set? He is big & strong so that is difficult, but have to try.
--Front Edy and force them to lob, then ensure backside help?
-Have to limit the penetration kickouts by their Point Guards

Any suggestions?

--Have to try to make him uncomfortable by denying him the spots he likes to set? He is big & strong so that is difficult, but have to try.

Any suggestions?
Apparently the game doesn’t matter.

Any suggestions?
i think one of the only strategies that will work is getting Edy into foul trouble early

the other strategy is shooting 75% from 3

i don't like our chances but it is good to play a team like this since we are probably going in as a 9 and would get a 1 in the 2nd round

Any suggestions?
Double him, and cross our fingers! We can't just let him score at will, so I take my chances that they can't hit open looks all day...and then make him work at the other end.

I think we need to run a Senator Pat Geary maneuver on him tonight like Godfather II.

Any suggestions?
Play a zone and also full court press. Change things up and make them beat us from outside. If they do, so be it, but don’t let them beat us with their strengths.

Reactions: bison13
Yep have that quick as a cat freshman drive into the lane and draw fouls.
the problem is that the big ten refs aren't likely going to be calling it that tight (they just allow a rougher style), and he is probably not going to allow himself to get into foul trouble in the title game

I’d play more zone and have henn get more minutes to force Edey to play in pick and roll. there is no way that Gillis can go off for 30 again but if he does, oh well.

Reactions: Rip_E_2_Joe_PA
the problem is that the big ten refs aren't likely going to be calling it that tight (they just allow a rougher style), and he is probably not going to allow himself to get into foul trouble in the title game
They rarely call fouls on Edey.

Reactions: bdgan
I was texting some of my PSU friends from around the country to see if they went outside to listen for the cries of the IU alumni and fans, wondering how many states away their cries can be heard.....

A close friend in Iowa said he thought it was cyotes howling but that it could have been them..... ;)

Do you think they have the legs left to go full court? 4 games against 4 good teams in 4 nights is a tough task.
Then just play a zone. And the full court doesn’t have to be heavy pressure, just enough to use up some of the shot clock so they don’t have as much time to set up and run their offensive sets.

Any suggestions?
Try to get Edy in Foul trouble. However you can do it. Try to get in his head to make him angry, charges, flops, however you can do it.

Ok, called Shrews and laid it all for him.

First, rotate Henne and Njie every five minutes to keep them rested. Tell them to push, shove, lean on Edey nonstop to tire him out. Get on his head. Frustrate him.

When we get a defensive rebound, run a fast break to move up the court as fast as possible…… big guys don’t like to run. Don’t necessarily try to score quickly just move it up court as fast as possible.

Then set up the offense and have guys constantly rotating through the paint to keep Edey moving while Njie or Henne is hanging all over him. Even if we get a few fouls keep up the pressure.

Last have the best ball handlers and fastest guys drive on him. As he gets tired he will start to foul. Maybe get frustrated. Get in his head.

Shrews thanked me profusely…..😉

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT