ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State opts out of bowl per gopsusports.com***

At least 15 teams have opted out of playing in a bowl this year with more to come, I’m sure. Then throw in the bowl games that will get cancelled due to the virus and there will only be a few bowl games actually played. Folks are making a big deal out of nothing.

+100. I will be surprised if there are any many more games other than the playoffs and championship game.

I think it shows where they’re at as a team. Lack of toughness and competitiveness. You are a student-athlete. You don’t get to to opt out of the student part and you shouldn’t be able to, or want to opt out of the athlete part.

Reactions: NoBareFeet
1. As a fan I am disappointed since I would love to see the team continue its upward trend

2. I do however completely understand and respect their decision for the reasons that have been stated my many already

3. I do also believe that in the coming weeks, months, years.... many on the team will come to regret this decision

Reactions: scrivener
1. As a fan I am disappointed since I would love to see the team continue its upward trend

2. I do however completely understand and respect their decision for the reasons that have been stated my many already

3. I do also believe that in the coming weeks, months, years.... many on the team will come to regret this decision

Yea, in another 5, 10 years they will be all busted up on not going to that Guaranteed Rate bowl game. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Art and Erial_Lion
I see this amounting to three simple but important issues:

1. The players, college kids, haven’t seen their families in months and want to see them over the holidays.

2. The roster is thin due to COVID, making preparation for a bowl game difficult if not impossible.

3. With COVID positives spiking, the team could give up the holidays with their families for a bowl game, only to have the game canceled last-minute.

Dude, stop making sense.

Reactions: Thomas1945
So people who never played at this level don’t get to have an opinion on what they players want, but people who never coached at this level can second guess the coaches all day long....got it.
The guy is a a former Penn State athlete and said the players are going to regret not playing another game down the road. That's not attacking the players. That's his opinion and posters are acting like he's saying get out there and play.

Personally, I'm good with whatever the players and coaches want to do as long as it's not the athletic department doing the bidding. After what the players went through this season, it should be up to them.

Reactions: AWS1022
Dude, stop making sense.

I’m just a talking head.

41C1CZQFQJL.jpg

Reactions: PSUQBKeeper
Right, The best player on the team Dotson wanted to play a bowl game must be a divide somewhere among the leaders of the team. O well on to 2021
Do you know for a fact how he voted? Do you believe everything you read?

I am fine with it. 2020 has been such an effed up year. I've always said everyone needs to assess their risk profile and make personal decisions. I can't tell a kid to go put his health on the line, that is their decision.

I saw a lot of improvement during the season and a lot of young talent. I'll survive
You are entitled to your opinion....but you are breaking the rule!

This should not be a players decision. Fans have received no consideration this year. Sandy and her bosses voted originallhynot to play, then they voted for no fans in the stadium, and now they are allowing the players receiving big scholarship money to opt out of a bowl. Let PSU ask me for more money. The answer as long as Franklin and Barbour are there is NO NO NO. What a shame!!!
It's like Joe often said, "We want your money but we don't want your two cents."

I think people are assuming they would finish 5-5 if they played. Given the state of the team as described by Franklin they are just as likely to end up 4-6. I wanted another game as much as anyone but after hearing the PC I think it’s time to end 2020 and regroup for next year

Reactions: marshall23
I think people are assuming they would finish 5-5 if they played. Given the state of the team as described by Franklin they are just as likely to end up 4-6. I wanted another game as much as anyone but after hearing the PC I think it’s time to end 2020 and regroup for next year
Yep, sometimes it’s better to just cut your losses and call it quits. This year would fall into that category. I wish I could call it quits for the rest of the year.

Reactions: jayhawks65
I would have liked to see them in a bowl but at the end of the day it would be a lower tier rather crappy one so if they felt they would rather be home I am good with that even though it doesn’t and shouldn’t matter what I think. I am amused by the insanity being posted in this thread - the Test Board has nothing on some of these loons - my god you would think someone pissed in your Cheerios or something. Must be some people with some pretty shi$ty lives that somehow feel missing out on a toilet bowl ruins THEIR life.

And not knowing who would be opting out might change some minds. If I knew Dotson, Toney, Brisker, and some others weren’t playing, the chances of getting to 5-5 are a lot slimmer and I really would rather not go to a lower tier bowl and lose to a lower tier team.

I would have liked to see them in a bowl but at the end of the day it would be a lower tier rather crappy one so if they felt they would rather be home I am good with that even though it doesn’t and shouldn’t matter what I think. I am amused by the insanity being posted in this thread - the Test Board has nothing on some of these loons - my god you would think someone pissed in your Cheerios or something. Must be some people with some pretty shi$ty lives that somehow feel missing out on a toilet bowl ruins THEIR life.
Totally agree. The amount of stupidity in this thread has reached a whole new level.

You would think they would have better things to do over the holidays.

Lost in this bickering thread is the fact Pitt opted out long before we did. Pitt is the trend setter. We opted out because we're jealous of Pitt and we aspire to be like them. Hell, we even lost five games just like Pitt always does. We're just a bunch of Pitt wannabes.

The best part of the season being over is that some of these sh!tstains that call themselves “fans” but do nothing but complain will hopefully crawl back under the rock they came out of and we won’t hear from them for the next eight months.

Last edited:
Reactions: cjrugger
Right, The best player on the team Dotson wanted to play a bowl game must be a divided somewhere among the leaders of the team.
Do you know for a fact how he voted? Do you believe everything you read?
I don't know for a fact if he voted and I don't believe everything I read, I am basing my comments on a Tyler Donohue article on 24/7 on Dec 12 who is pretty credible covering PSU football.
In the aftermath of another lions win, players were asked if they'd want to suit up or sit out when it comes to a bowl game Junior receiver Jahan Dotson, who delivered his four 100-yard receiving performance of 2020 and scored on an 81-yard punt return, responded with a "definitely", followed an by an "absolutely"

Lost in this bickering thread is the fact Pitt opted out long before we did. Pitt is the trend setter. We opted out because we're jealous of Pitt and we aspire to be like them. Hell, we even lost five games just like Pitt always does. We're just a bunch of Pitt wannabes.
Reading the posts here this season, has given me ( once one of the biggest Pitt critics) a new appreciation for the faithfulness, fidelity and loyalty of many in their fan base. In addition, I think that some Pitt fans are on to something. There IS a disturbing arrogance that exists among some PSU fans. I guess being a PSU fan is contingent on 10 and 11 win seasons. After all WE deserve better!

I don't know for a fact if he voted and I don't believe everything I read, I am basing my comments on a Tyler Donohue article on 24/7 on Dec 12 who is pretty credible covering PSU football.
In the aftermath of another lions win, players were asked if they'd want to suit up or sit out when it comes to a bowl game Junior receiver Jahan Dotson, who delivered his four 100-yard receiving performance of 2020 and scored on an 81-yard punt return, responded with a "definitely", followed an by an "absolutely"I
I believe he spoke to 3 players....after the MSU game. Hardly an indicator of how 85 guys feel. Perhaps they were living in the moment?

Reactions: psuno1
In the aftermath of another lions win, players were asked if they'd want to suit up or sit out when it comes to a bowl game Junior receiver Jahan Dotson, who delivered his four 100-yard receiving performance of 2020 and scored on an 81-yard punt return, responded with a "definitely", followed an by an "absolutely"
And maybe after his performance yesterday he was notified he’s going to go higher in the draft than he thought, so he was going to opt out of the bowl anyway. Making uninformed opinions is not good.

I just read that the Big Ten Conference is demanding that Penn State send the bowl revenue to the conference that we would have earned by playing the game.

Yeah, I agree that it would have been nice to get back to .500 but it ain’t happening. This isn’t directed at you, Greg, but people need to deal with this as mature adults would.
Where is that PSU board at? I'd like to join.

Reactions: AWS1022
Here is another couch warrior. A guy living with his family that gets to see them daily. Again, this was voted on by our student athletes. Respect their decision to go see their families instead of playing in a game none of them care about anyways.

Seriously, if your life is so tied up in kids playing in a meaningless exhibition game then maybe it’s time for you to reevaluate your life or go root for another team cause apparently Penn State doesn’t do it right in your eyes. Oh yeah, this all based on the decision from young men who you don’t know.

Seriously Tom time for you to take out the trash on this board. These clowns that continue to take shots at our coaches and kids is ridiculous.
Seriously dude - try reading instead of assuming. If you know so much about me, then you should be able to figure out the PowerBall. Of course, you could not be more wrong. Project much?

If you could read, you would notice I specifically recommended to respect their decision.

Suggest you learn that disagreement can come without hostility. None is intended on my part.

If Tom eliminates all differing views, why would we need a message board. He could just provide a link to the official PR from SB’s office.

Seriously dude - try reading instead of assuming. If you know so much about me, then you should be able to figure out the PowerBall. Of course, you could not be more wrong. Project much?

If you could read, you would notice I specifically recommended to respect their decision.

Suggest you learn that disagreement can come without hostility. None is intended on my part.

If Tom eliminates all differing views, why would we need a message board. He could just provide a link to the official PR from SB’s office.
Pointing out that somewhere in your post you uttered "respect their decision," is a lot like starting a sentence with no "no offense but....." LOL what always follows?

Pointing out that somewhere in your post you uttered "respect their decision," is a lot like starting a sentence with no "no offense but....." LOL what always follows?

I respect their decision, but f*ck them. They owe us a bowl game. They work for us.

I just read that the Big Ten Conference is demanding that Penn State send the bowl revenue to the conference that we would have earned by playing the game.
Maybe if they would have made the right call in the Indiana game , or started the season in the first week of October, they might have just cause. Take it out of the BT Commish, Barry's or the Big Ten Refs salary.

Reactions: TheGLOV
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT