ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State opts out of bowl per gopsusports.com***

And Michigan beat Minnesota.

Outside of Ohio State, Northwestern, Indiana and Iowa, all the other Big Ten teams seem equally mediocre. And we more or less beat Indiana.
Penn State is better than Indiana and Northwestern.

Ah,you can go no further than Coach Franklin as quoted prior t o the 2014 bowl. He stated "These bowl practices will be really valuable in terms of getting ready for our opponent, but also building for our future and development." Quoted Dec 6, 2014 by Greg Pickel on PennLive.

The fan boys who defend Franklin at all turns, who find missing bowl time this year as no problem, can take it up with Coach. Likely we will read more painful excuses.
When did a normal season end? Using logic from 2014 when the season ended November 29th and the Bowl Game was Dec.27th .....as a feeble argument for 2020 When the season ended December 19th and the projected bowl was Dec. 30.. tells me that your math or intelligence is lacking. Probably both. Oh, and did they deal with covid protocols in 2014? So assuming you travel on 12/29 and the team would suit up today......that would be a highly unlikely 8 or 9 practices. In 2014 PSU had at least 24 days to decide and pick and choose to practice....about 3X greater opportunities.
But hey, you never let facts get in the way of an opportunity to manufacture some bullshit.

Reactions: AWS1022
Ah,you can go no further than Coach Franklin as quoted prior t o the 2014 bowl. He stated "These bowl practices will be really valuable in terms of getting ready for our opponent, but also building for our future and development." Quoted Dec 6, 2014 by Greg Pickel on PennLive.

The fan boys who defend Franklin at all turns, who find missing bowl time this year as no problem, can take it up with Coach. Likely we will read more painful excuses.

Comparing 2014 to 2020? Vastly different.

Don’t know about NW opting out. Just watched Fitzgerald’s post game presser and he was pumped about playing and hopefully winning a bowl game .
Don’t think Indiana is opting out either . Hoosier best writer a few hours ago .
https://www.si.com/college/indiana/football/indiana-football-bowl-game-history-results
So far just PSU, Nebraska and Minny......unlikely to get or accept......Michigan, Rutgers, Illinois, MSU, PURDUE, Maryland
others....LSU, ASU, Pitt San Diego State, Virginia Tech, SMU, USC, UCLA, UTAH, Virginia, Washington and Washington State....to name most.....the list will grow.

But your Fighting Acorns persevered despite it all...wonder why? Undefeated and headed to the playoff. Illustrates the widening difference between the two programs.

And never thought I’d see the day when the on-field demeanor of O$U was better than PSU...but here we are...

Congrats on a great (half) season and best of luck in tbe playoffs. Unlike many here, I would not discount O$U... you have elite talent, a fantastic young coach, and you play sound, hard-nosed football.
hahaha persevered despite it all? they canceled games and had to have the rules changed for f's sake

Reactions: marshall23
You said you knew how the players voted - you really don't know if it's 50% +1 because you don't know if the vote was based on a majority or not. Perhaps their own version of the electoral college made a decision that was not consistent with the voter's wishes.

So, you really don't know.
I do know how they voted - not to play.

hahaha persevered despite it all? they canceled games and had to have the rules changed for f's sake
They sure did...that’s life in the Big10. Everything designed for O$U...been that way from day #1 this year...clarified this week for those who are slow on the uptake. The geniuses that run Penn State have still not figured that out yet.

He wouldn’t be considered a fantastic young coach by some on this board if he was our coach.
He has lost all of one game on last play of game on a bad route...he
Is top shelf for sure...Ohio State elevated him over others and other names. Perhaps we should watch and learn (and apply)?

What a couple of practices? Wow, how awful!

I think in this environment that’s actually who should vote and decide. Just wonder if they made this decision to allow Coach Franklin to spend Christmas with his family.

I think if you were going to opt out, opt out from the beginning. For all the fuss everyone made over not playing, opting out now mostly proves the B1G made the correct call initially. It was a hard year for everyone - ultimately doesn’t matter much but as a fan and alum it’s disappointing.On to next year. Will enjoy whatever bowl games are played in the meantime.

He has lost all of one game on last play of game on a bad route...he
Is top shelf for sure...Ohio State elevated him over others and other names. Perhaps we should watch and learn (and apply)?
He would have been skewered for the game against NW....absolutely crucified on this board for letting a team of 2 and 3 stars hang with them and then his piss poor clock management at the end....it would have been ugly. It’s not about winning and losing on this board, it’s about play to play and series to series calls...keep up.

I think if you were going to opt out, opt out from the beginning. For all the fuss everyone made over not playing, opting out now mostly proves the B1G made the correct call initially. It was a hard year for everyone - ultimately doesn’t matter much but as a fan and alum it’s disappointing.On to next year. Will enjoy whatever bowl games are played in the meantime.
Opting out 9 games later of a crap bowl shows the Big was right to cancel the entire season? Really? (Eye roll)

Are you really comparing 2014 to the pandemic year? The bowl would likely be held next week or a few days after. They would likely travel the day before. It wouldn't really be a "normal" bowl experience nor practice sessions. It really doesn't add much. Players wouldn't even have much time to recover and have played 9 weeks straight. Why make it 10?

Reactions: Cold Smoke
Selfishly, I would have loved to watch this team hopefully win one more game and avoid a losing season.

But I also recognize that thought as selfish, which is why I labeled it as such. I absolutely get why the team opted out of a bowl (in THIS year, under these crappy conditions) and I support them in doing so. I hope CJF gets some extra time with his family out of it that he otherwise might not have had.

I feel like we got to watch two mini seasons, an 0-5 one followed by a 4-0 one. I say that because I now recognize more clearly how tough it was for this team to learn from 3 new offensive coaches without spring ball and without normal practice conditions.

To those saying that these 4 wins were due only to the quality of the opposition... I would counter that with the trajectory we had 5 games into the schedule, none of the ensuing games was a “gimme” by any means. I truly believe we were headed for an oh-fer season at one point, and then instead we saw a team that refused to quit on each other, many young players starting to blossom after some experience, and a new offensive system starting to gel.

This team was far from perfect these last four games, but it was also far from the disaster it had well sunken into becoming after the first five. In this complete sh*tstorm of a year that is 2020, I’m content to look on the bright side of that and think ahead optimistically toward seeing some of these up-and-coming players perform in a 2021 season that is hopefully much closer to normal.

He would have been skewered for the game against NW....absolutely crucified on this board for letting a team of 2 and 3 stars hang with them and then his piss poor clock management at the end....it would have been ugly. It’s not about winning and losing on this board, it’s about play to play and series to series calls...keep up.
I think if Penn State would have had 2 consecutive appearances in CFP, lost one game in 2 years, and recruit Top 3, he would be embraced.

Here we make excuses for getting our heads handed to us at home by bottom dwellers like Maryland.

I just read that the Big Ten Conference is demanding that Penn State send the bowl revenue to the conference that we would have earned by playing the game.
After receiving this Big Ten request, Sandy and Barron reached out to Rodney Ericson for advice on how to handle it. Barron is in the process of drafting a 5 page letter apologizing for this decision and to inform the conference that Penn State will be sending 3 times the amount of bowl revenue Penn Sate would have received as penance.

Reactions: TheGLOV
After receiving this Big Ten request, Sandy and Barron reached out to Rodney Ericson for advice on how to handle it. Barron is in the process of drafting a 5 page letter apologizing for this decision and to inform the conference that Penn State will be sending 3 times the amount of bowl revenue Penn Sate would have received as penance.
There are enough tough guys posting BS here to suit up for the bowl and show us all including the team how its done.

I think if Penn State would have had 2 consecutive appearances in CFP, lost one game in 2 years, and recruit Top 3, he would be embraced.

Here we make excuses for getting our heads handed to us at home by bottom dwellers like Maryland.
No, he wouldn’t have....some of the fanboys on here are ridiculous. They’d be screaming about him losing in the CFP....not good enough to get to the elite level.

I feel like it should be up to the players, but I am frankly surprised. They seemed to be having so much fun tonight; I would think they would want to keep that going for one more game (especially given that it probably only means extending the season by 7 to 14 days).

But I respect their decision, despite my disappointment.
Wisconsin going to play Wake Forest in Duke’s Mayo. 3-3 record. Guess they are having fun and want to stay with their brothers. We’ll show them in Madison next year. LOL

Wisconsin going to play Wake Forest in Duke’s Mayo. 3-3 record. Guess they are having fun and want to stay with their brothers. We’ll show them in Madison next year. LOL
They've had 3 games cancelled that PSU played. So playing a bowl will end Wisky's season still 2 games short of the PSU season.....We've already "showed them."

Total, absolute, speculation.

More excuse making.

Tom Herman and Kirk Ferentz did not make any excuses. They just went Out and won.
Herman’s UT is 6-3 with a far better talent differential against its conference foes than almost any team (PSU included), and he would have gotten canned if UT had a big name who would take the job.

Plus, Herman’s been excuse-making all year. Where have you been? I live in Austin and all I hear is him blathering on.

Herman’s UT is 6-3 with a far better talent differential against its conference foes than almost any team (PSU included), and he would have gotten canned if UT had a big name who would take the job.

Plus, Herman’s been excuse-making all year. Where have you been? I live in Austin and all I hear is him blathering on.
James Franklin pissed in his Wheaties.....LOL

This team was far from perfect these last four games, but it was also far from the disaster it had well sunken into becoming after the first five. In this complete sh*tstorm of a year that is 2020, I’m content to look on the bright side of that and think ahead optimistically toward seeing some of these up-and-coming players perform in a 2021 season that is hopefully much closer to normal.

Good post.

Despite the overall losing record, I believe PSU goes into 2021 with positive momentum. The adversity of the 5 losses has taught some lessons to players and coaches. And some good young players gained valuable experience.

This might honestly be the dumbest take in this whole thread

Constructive criticism from someone who has no clue? That’s like a turtle giving an eagle criticism on how he flies. You don’t know enough to criticize a D-1 coach.
And you are making this assessment how? Because you are in position to know better? As I said, relax.

Yeah so why even play the season. Hell, why play next year? Why even have a team?

Good questions. If you’re gonna put in the work to make it through the season, why bail at the end? Bowl games are a reward for players - swag bag, travel, one last go with your team. Coaches get extra practices, bonus salary, etc. This team had a chance to get to .500 too. Not the end of the world but if we were 8-1 and turning down a NY6 bowl game invite, would you care then?

Good questions. If you’re gonna put in the work to make it through the season, why bail at the end? Bowl games are a reward for players - swag bag, travel, one last go with your team. Coaches get extra practices, bonus salary, etc. This team had a chance to get to .500 too. Not the end of the world but if we were 8-1 and turning down a NY6 bowl game invite, would you care then?
If you can’t see why a trip to a bowl during a pandemic when you’re 4-5 is different than during a normal year with a good record, then I don’t know what to tell you.

If you can’t see why a trip to a bowl during a pandemic when you’re 4-5 is different than during a normal year with a good record, then I don’t know what to tell you.

If we were 8-1 this year, do you turn down the bowl game?

If we were 8-1 this year, do you turn down the bowl game?
Nope, not at 8-1 because then you’re going to a top notch bowl against a top notch opponent...the sacrifice would be worth it. But not to go to the Orange Marmalade Bowl to play West Podunct University.

Nope, not at 8-1 because then you’re going to a top notch bowl against a top notch opponent...the sacrifice would be worth it. But not to go to the Orange Marmalade Bowl to play West Podunct University.

Fair enough.

So if you’re going to quit, don’t start? That’s your motivational poster? If you’re only going to do 90% of a job, do zero instead. Don’t think I’ve heard critiquing people for quitting and thinking the solution is to quit earlier

There is no travel- they’d fly down, go to a hotel, stay overnight, play and then leave. No one cares about the Mayonaise Bowl- in fact, most people think there are too many bowls anyway. If the players don’t want the ‘reward,’ why should we tell them they have to take it?

Players don’t owe the coaches a bonus and we’re talking about a few more days of practice. Thankfully, many people have learned a good amount of appreciation and perspective this year- unfortunately, many are still as oblivious as ever

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT