ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State defensive end Chop Robinson opts out of Peach Bowl

But that same injury could occur in game 12 against MSU. Or game 11 against Rutgers. Which, if you subscribe to some of the posters here, are games that do not matter because only games which affect the CFB championship game matter.

It just becomes a slippery slope of "either play or don't". I'm not making decisions for anyone, but I cannot imagine not playing if in their shoes.
But an injury on Jan 1 is far more impactful than one in early Nov. You can’t always recover and be at full strength from a sprained ankle, bruised thigh, or other mid level injury in time to start the NFL workouts. And since ‘measurables’ are so critical to the NFL it can make a big difference.

Reactions: PSUSignore
But an injury on Jan 1 is far more impactful than one in early Nov. You can’t always recover and be at full strength from a sprained ankle, bruised thigh, or other mid level injury in time to start the NFL workouts. And since ‘measurables’ are so critical to the NFL it can make a big difference.
right again. NFL combine is Feb 27 to March 4th. even a high ankle sprain will keep you from preparing properly and you won't be 100% for the combine.

Chops a good player, but sorry, he wasn't that dominant. But anyone who has been told they's be a top 2-3 round selection, they'd be stupid to play if its not a playoff game.

And out of the thousands of guys who played in bowl games, how many of them had career ending injuries?
There are 2 key elements to risk, likelihood and impact. Yes the likelihood is low, but the impact could potentially be devastating, worst case it could completely end his football career and the financial livelihood he's spent 15 years preparing for.

Maybe you are using a different operational definition of "official" and "counts" than everyone else in the world but according to the NCAA they count.

See page 14:

So if you think your opinion somehow carries more weight than the NCAA, I guess you can think that, but that's a pretty whacky assertion.
As I said, "just because something is counted for one purpose, doesn't mean it "counts" for another. Conferences don't care about bowl outcomes. They only care about the participation check. It's an exhibition that results in a check mark in a statistical W/L column, but nothing else."

They are exhibitions just as payday games are, between Penn State and Kent St. Sure they "officially count" but they don't really matter. Feel free to continue to die on the definitional hill to convince yourself that bowl games have meaning, matter, or actually count for anything beyond a check mark in the W/L column.

As I said, "just because something is counted for one purpose, doesn't mean it "counts" for another.
This is a nonsensical sentence.
Conferences don't care about bowl outcomes.
"Don't care" and "don't count" are two different things. I don't care about who wins the NBA Finals but by your definition of "counts" that counts.
They only care about the participation check.
Do you work for the Big Ten? Because this is a super weird position for a fan to take.
It's an exhibition that results in a check mark in a statistical W/L column, but nothing else."
Again, I've proven with multiple citations that bowl games are NOT exhibition games. You can have your opinion about your personal interest in bowl games but you are categorically wrong that they are exhibitions.
They are exhibitions just as payday games are, between Penn State and Kent St.
Also incorrect. Those game definitely count.
Sure they "officially count" but they don't really matter.
LOL @ the idea that games that "officially count" don't matter. Then what does "official" mean to you exactly?
Feel free to continue to die on the definitional hill to convince yourself that bowl games have meaning, matter, or actually count for anything beyond a check mark in the W/L column.
Feel free to die on the irrational hill that games that count in terms of team and individual records do not count. That is absurd.

Reactions: johnmpsu
I used to be opposed to the opting out of a bowl game, but these games were traditionally a way for the players to celebrate their season. They get to go to some place, have some fun, get some swag and then play some football.
That being said, it would be a whole lot more fun for us fans if we get to beat an SEC team in the bowl game.

You don't think Chop is going to be a day 1 pick? Most have him going in the upper half of the first round.
The NFL has become the league of corner pass rushers. The top ones are disrupters that are game changers.

Chop is amazingly quick off the line and could be one of those. Against huge NFL tackles his speed could be huge.

We shall see…..

Reactions: bison13 and Jerry
Exactly. The risk is extremely low, so dance monkey. Dance for me! My being entertained is almost a guarantee (unless of course you suck) whereas an injury is hardly likely. So dance monkey, dance for me!
If we didn’t watch, they’d be dancing at their jobs at the McDonalds drive thru, so there’s that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT