ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State defensive end Chop Robinson opts out of Peach Bowl

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
thanks for coming here and best of luck in the future.

GAmZ_blaAAIw1h8

Last edited by a moderator:
On one hand I agree with you. On the other, CFB has evolved beyond end of season exhibition games. I believe CFB is headed for decline, but opting out of exhibition bowl games is not one the reasons.
I lean towards a more progressive stance on athlete benefits, but I do share the opinion that opting out of bowl games is lame. The season essentially concluded after the Michigan game, yet no one opted to skip the matchups against Rutgers or MSU to focus on draft preparation.

On one hand I agree with you. On the other, CFB has evolved beyond end of season exhibition games. I believe CFB is headed for decline, but opting out of exhibition bowl games is not one the reasons.
Bowl games are not exhibitions. They count for the record books (both in terms of W-L and individual records).

Please stop perpetuating this nonsense.

Having said that, given that Chop had a moderate concussion in the latter part of the season, I do not fault him for sitting this one out.

Bowl games are not exhibitions. They count for the record books (both in terms of W-L and individual records).

Having said that, given that Chop had a moderate concussion in the latter part of the season, I do not fault him for sitting this one out.
100% exhibitions

I am old school and agree. Taking the counter position, you go to college to get a better career. I would never begrudge a kid in graduate school who quits before getting his masters or PhD because his dream job came a calling.

A good friend of mine always says "I am just a coin-operated monkey. You put in the coins and I'll bang the symbols".

monkey-cymbals.gif

Maybe the opt outs just don't want to practice for 3 weeks to play 1 game. It seems like they get to go to the bowl destination anyways

Reactions: PSUPride1

Umm...the Peach Bowl has no bearing on anything official. It doesn't impact the B1G standings. It has no involvement in determining the CFP champion. It is literally the definition of an exhibition game.

Umm...the Peach Bowl has no bearing on anything official. It doesn't impact the B1G standings. It has no involvement in determining the CFP champion. It is literally the definition of an exhibition game.
Incorrect.

The Blue White game is an exhibition.

The Peach Bowl counts in multiple ways:

1) At the end of the game one team's OFFICIAL record for the year will be 11-2 and the other will be 10-3.

2) And stats accrued during the game count both in terms of single reason record keeping and career records.

You can choose not to care about the bowl games, but they DO in fact count.

Exactly! NFL preseason is exhibition, not college bowl games so I agree stop saying this like it’s fact. Tell that to Barkley who played in the Fiesta Bowl when he was going to be a top 5 pick. Teams use the bowl game as building blocks for the next season and seniors are playing football potentially for the last time in their life. I knew Chop would be the first to opt out and I get it. Our best DE this year was Adisa Isaac and it wasn’t close. I fully expect Adisa to play even though he has already played his way into rounds 2-3 and already came back from a serious injury. Why? To me it’s character and commitment. I wouldn’t be surprised if Olu suits up, but I’m sure Franklin would probably limit his snaps. Last year we had one opt out on a team that won 11 games and the Rose Bowl. Compare that with the 2021 team that had 7-8 opt outs and finished 7-6. We all know the issues with the 2021 team with a lack of leadership and character. Again if your pretty much a guaranteed 1st round pick I get sitting out, but let’s stop with this made up narrative that bowl games are exhibitions.

Late first early second round. Made the correct decision. Marvin Harrison Jr will go at least 15 spots in front of him so STFU all those saying Harrison should stay: You can't have it both ways. You support chop leaving? Then you support Marvin too.

• Haha
Reactions: Westcoast24
I lean towards a more progressive stance on athlete benefits, but I do share the opinion that opting out of bowl games is lame. The season essentially concluded after the Michigan game, yet no one opted to skip the matchups against Rutgers or MSU to focus on draft preparation.
Yep, most of the 130+ teams season's end with their first loss according to that logic According to that logic their seasons are over and the rest of the games are exhibition games.

By that logic it could be said that all the games are exhibition games. Any player that plays in any further game after they are logically out of the chase for the MNC would be playing in an "exhibition game". But in reality the whole season for any team is an "exhibition". The players don't make significant money by playing more games, even into their bowl game or playoff game for playing in those games. So why play in them, other than to put on an exhibition of their talents and further audition for the next level.

Oh, they play it for their team mates and/or for their fans. If they were really doing that they'd finish the season out and play in every game they can play in to finish up their careers with their team mates and in front of their fans.

The reason they opt out is because they believe they have already participated in enough exhibition games for the NFL scouts and teams and they have no further need for more exhibitions/auditions, so why risk injury.

Yes, opting out, judging when players have put on enough exhibitions of their talent, is a part of the degredation of college football.

Reactions: bono47
Exactly! NFL preseason is exhibition, not college bowl games so I agree stop saying this like it’s fact. Tell that to Barkley who played in the Fiesta Bowl when he was going to be a top 5 pick. Teams use the bowl game as building blocks for the next season and seniors are playing football potentially for the last time in their life. I knew Chop would be the first to opt out and I get it. Our best DE this year was Adisa Isaac and it wasn’t close. I fully expect Adisa to play even though he has already played his way into rounds 2-3 and already came back from a serious injury. Why? To me it’s character and commitment. I wouldn’t be surprised if Olu suits up, but I’m sure Franklin would probably limit his snaps. Last year we had one opt out on a team that won 11 games and the Rose Bowl. Compare that with the 2021 team that had 7-8 opt outs and finished 7-6. We all know the issues with the 2021 team with a lack of leadership and character. Again if your pretty much a guaranteed 1st round pick I get sitting out, but let’s stop with this made up narrative that bowl games are exhibitions.
Didn't we have two (2) opt outs for the Rose Bowl last year? Joey Porter, Jr. & Parker Washington?

Reactions: bison13
I’m sure Lane’s all broken up about it.

No shocker that Chop opted out. I'd have been more surprised if he played.

But Lane Kiffin's reaction? Please. Dude's got to be trolling with that.

He had a great interview after the Sparty game. Talked how it was so much more than football. How Franklin and school helped him grow and become a man.

Should be shown to every recruit,

Thanks Chop, for the great effort and memories. Nothing but the best in your future football career and in your life’s work afterwards.

Last edited:
100% exhibitions
Perhaps, but valuable nonetheless. Three to four weeks of additional practice for returning players and evaluation of underclassmen.

Even the opt outs can serve a purpose. Someone is going to get more playing time and experience.

Bowl games are also a nice reward to the players, they usually get some nice gifts and have fun activities planned for them.

Last edited:
Didn't we have two (2) opt outs for the Rose Bowl last year? Joey Porter, Jr. & Parker Washington?
Both were coming off injuries/not 100%. But yes.

Given Chop's midseason concussion, it's understandable that he is sitting this one out. I have less of an issue with that than if a fully healthy player decides to sit.

Late first early second round. Made the correct decision. Marvin Harrison Jr will go at least 15 spots in front of him so STFU all those saying Harrison should stay: You can't have it both ways. You support chop leaving? Then you support Marvin too.
???

Perhaps, but valuable nonetheless. Three to four weeks of additional practice for returning players and evaluation of underclassmen.

Even the opt outs can serve a purpose. Someone is going to get more playing time and experience.
Oh I agree--there's a ton of value in the practices and guys moving on skipping the game allow extra reps for the young returning (ideally)...it's just the game it's self that doesn't have value. Win or lose.

Incorrect.

The Blue White game is an exhibition.

The Peach Bowl counts in multiple ways:

1) At the end of the game one team's OFFICIAL record for the year will be 11-2 and the other will be 10-3.

2) And stats accrued during the game count both in terms of single reason record keeping and career records.

You can choose not to care about the bowl games, but they DO in fact count.
"Official" huh? 😳😳

Yep, most of the 130+ teams season's end with their first loss according to that logic According to that logic their seasons are over and the rest of the games are exhibition games.

By that logic it could be said that all the games are exhibition games. Any player that plays in any further game after they are logically out of the chase for the MNC would be playing in an "exhibition game". But in reality the whole season for any team is an "exhibition". The players don't make significant money by playing more games, even into their bowl game or playoff game for playing in those games. So why play in them, other than to put on an exhibition of their talents and further audition for the next level.

Oh, they play it for their team mates and/or for their fans. If they were really doing that they'd finish the season out and play in every game they can play in to finish up their careers with their team mates and in front of their fans.

The reason they opt out is because they believe they have already participated in enough exhibition games for the NFL scouts and teams and they have no further need for more exhibitions/auditions, so why risk injury.

Yes, opting out, judging when players have put on enough exhibitions of their talent, is a part of the degredation of college football.

I would deviate on the point of exhibitions and say that conference games are, definitionally, not exhibitions. Conversely, an invitational, and optional game, not sanctioned by your conference, at the end of the season that doesn't affect anything IS.

Booooooo. Low character move.

Dennis-Sutton offered more production when Chop was out anyway. The hit to the depth hurts, but in some ways it is addition by subtraction. Only want guys playing if they are all in.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT