ADVERTISEMENT

Football Penn State defensive end Chop Robinson opts out of Peach Bowl

Maybe the opt outs just don't want to practice for 3 weeks to play 1 game. It seems like they get to go to the bowl destination anyways
And I don't think they should be taken to the bowl game if they opt out. If they are done - and I respect their decision to do so - their season is over. There is nothing they can contribute to the actual game.

Booooooo. Low character move.

Dennis-Sutton offered more production when Chop was out anyway. The hit to the depth hurts, but in some ways it is addition by subtraction. Only want guys playing if they are all in.
I don't think DDS was more productive than CHOP and that is not minimizing DDS's play or potential.

Dennis-Sutton offered more production when Chop was out anyway. The hit to the depth hurts, but in some ways it is addition by subtraction. Only want guys playing if they are all in.
How dare he skip a scrimmage to move on with his life and career?
Low character? lol
If you only want guys playing that are in you shouldn't watch any bowl game--no team is "all in"

You’re all wrong, here’s the correct answer.
All bowl games other than playoff bowl games are not meaningful for the selection of the National Championship. All non playoff bowl games are meaningful for the organizations that promote them, the players who play, and fans who attend or watch. Furthermore, the statistics complied and the won and lost records are officially recorded. Any opinion other than mine is irrelevant.

Dance monkey! Dance for me, dance for me!!! Entertain me! Career ending injury be damned!
How dare you ruin the fulfillment of my football watching season by not playing in a meaningless bowl game. God damn you, DANCE MONKEY!!!

I would deviate on the point of exhibitions and say that conference games are, definitionally, not exhibitions. Conversely, an invitational, and optional game, not sanctioned by your conference, at the end of the season that doesn't affect anything IS.
Conference or non-Conference, for the players that are only showcasing theselves for the NFL there is no difference.

But fortunately for the fans some players actually enjoy playing the game to the extent that they will enjoy playing with their team mates in games up until their team has no additional games on the schedule.

Last edited:
Reactions: NoBareFeet
Incorrect.

The Blue White game is an exhibition.

The Peach Bowl counts in multiple ways:

1) At the end of the game one team's OFFICIAL record for the year will be 11-2 and the other will be 10-3.

2) And stats accrued during the game count both in terms of single reason record keeping and career records.

You can choose not to care about the bowl games, but they DO in fact count.
That’s going to go on your OFFICIAL permanent record young man.

They count sorta. It’s like missing the playoffs and the teams that miss have another game. It counts about that much.

Extra practice might actually be how they count the most with all the practice restrictions ncaa has.

Chop's a great player, but the D performed at a very high level without him for a couple games this year. Granted, the competition was not awesome.

I think the two other most likely opt-outs would be Olu and Kalen. Both would be tough to lose but not deal-breakers in terms of beating Ole Miss.

Hopefully we won't have another scenario like the Arkansas bowl game a couple years ago. Some of those opt-outs were honestly ridiculous...late-round draft picks who never played a game in the NFL.

Conference or non-Conference, for the players that are only showcasing theselves for the NFL there is no difference.

But fortunately for the fans some players actually enjoy playing the game to the extent that they will enjoy playing with their team mates in games up until their team has no additional games on the schedule.
Agreed. For guys who are purely "me first", they don't matter. For team guys, they do.

You’re all wrong, here’s the correct answer.
All bowl games other than playoff bowl games are not meaningful for the selection of the National Championship. All non playoff bowl games are meaningful for the organizations that promote them, the players who play, and fans who attend or watch. Furthermore, the statistics complied and the won and lost records are officially recorded. Any opinion other than mine is irrelevant.
If it's not meaning for the National Championship it's not meaningful. Anything else is propaganda.

I'm not sure which is greater - the chances of suffering an injury in a bowl game so catastrophic as to materially affect a player's NFL career earnings, or the chances to win the lottery. But either way, I guess it is well worth it to bail on your team and not finish out your commitments.

Reactions: PSUPride1
National championships are going to get these players paid. They are dumb to play in those playoff games.

Or is it not possible to get hurt in playoff games? Hard to follow the insane logic...
A playoff game is contending for a title which is why people play sports
A scrimmage is not

Bowl games are literally nothing but a reward a great, good, mediocre and sometimes awful (see Minnesota) season. If players want to skip it go that's great. Others get an opportunity!

A playoff game is contending for a title which is why people play sports
A scrimmage is not
Why do the Northwestern football players play sports? Or Florida International football players? Or Penn State basketball players? Should they all quit?

Reactions: johnmpsu
I wish these kids would finish what they started, but it's a new era now. Good luck to him. Hope he's the last to skip PSU's bowl game.

Yes, are you suggesting that bowls are not counted in the way I stated above?
Who exactly is counting in an "official" capacity? And just because something is counted for one purpose, doesn't mean it "counts" for another. Conferences don't care about bowl outcomes. They only care about the participation check. It's an exhibition that results in a check mark in a statistical W/L column, but nothing else.

Why do the Northwestern football players play sports? Or Florida International football players? Or Penn State basketball players? Should they all quit?
Each of those teams competes in a conference. NW has won their div and the B1G.

Not surprising. As a fan I hate the opt outs but if I were in Chop's shoes I'd do the same thing. It's silly for him to risk injury in a game with almost team or individual upside when he's poised to make millions as a high draft pick.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I would feel differently had he not had a pretty serious concussion. Not For Long is what he should be focusing on right now. I don't blame him a bit for playing it safe. I hope he makes it into the 1st round.

Reactions: RickinDayton
I don't agree with opting out as it seems to let teammates, school and supporters down. When you're on a team, you're on the team for everything. Sorry, but that's how it should be. It seems that teammates and coaches and NFL teams don't seem to care, so that lessens my disdain a bit.

Dance monkey! Dance for me, dance for me!!! Entertain me! Career ending injury be damned!
How dare you ruin the fulfillment of my football watching season by not playing in a meaningless bowl game. God damn you, DANCE MONKEY!!!
And out of the thousands of guys who played in bowl games, how many of them had career ending injuries?

Exactly! NFL preseason is exhibition, not college bowl games so I agree stop saying this like it’s fact. Tell that to Barkley who played in the Fiesta Bowl when he was going to be a top 5 pick. Teams use the bowl game as building blocks for the next season and seniors are playing football potentially for the last time in their life. I knew Chop would be the first to opt out and I get it. Our best DE this year was Adisa Isaac and it wasn’t close. I fully expect Adisa to play even though he has already played his way into rounds 2-3 and already came back from a serious injury. Why? To me it’s character and commitment. I wouldn’t be surprised if Olu suits up, but I’m sure Franklin would probably limit his snaps. Last year we had one opt out on a team that won 11 games and the Rose Bowl. Compare that with the 2021 team that had 7-8 opt outs and finished 7-6. We all know the issues with the 2021 team with a lack of leadership and character. Again if your pretty much a guaranteed 1st round pick I get sitting out, but let’s stop with this made up narrative that bowl games are exhibitions.
Respectfully, nothing you said suggests they are not exhibitions. You literally called a bowl game a building block for the next season, which, and call me crazy, sounds a lot like blue/white.

They are exhibitions the same way a payday game is an exhibition. Sure, the W/L "counts" but it doesn't matter to anything.

I am old school and agree. Taking the counter position, you go to college to get a better career. I would never begrudge a kid in graduate school who quits before getting his masters or PhD because his dream job came a calling.

A good friend of mine always says "I am just a coin-operated monkey. You put in the coins and I'll bang the symbols".

monkey-cymbals.gif
But does the masters student or PhD candidate drop out to prepare for a career?

Reactions: step.eng69
And out of the thousands of guys who played in bowl games, how many of them had career ending injuries?
Exactly. The risk is extremely low, so dance monkey. Dance for me! My being entertained is almost a guarantee (unless of course you suck) whereas an injury is hardly likely. So dance monkey, dance for me!

I get why he opts out. He does it because he can. In the current system it makes sense. We have reached a point in cfb that contracts are required which clearly spell out the requirements of the job.

I get why he opts out. He does it because he can. In the current system it makes sense. We have reached a point in cfb that contracts are required which clearly spell out the requirements of the job.
Bowl games would never be required

On one hand I agree with you. On the other, CFB has evolved beyond end of season exhibition games. I believe CFB is headed for decline, but opting out of exhibition bowl games is not one the reasons.
The free agent aspect as well as
The rating system and the opt out ability of post season games is sad.Here old bowls are some. Scraps for you This system will take getting used to.Reminds me of young Frankenstein when he discovers the abnormal brain switch.
What could go wrong?
Just Kidding but maybe all the bowl game scores should come with asterisks.

Who exactly is counting in an "official" capacity? And just because something is counted for one purpose, doesn't mean it "counts" for another. Conferences don't care about bowl outcomes. They only care about the participation check. It's an exhibition that results in a check mark in a statistical W/L column, but nothing else.
Maybe you are using a different operational definition of "official" and "counts" than everyone else in the world but according to the NCAA they count.

See page 14:

So if you think your opinion somehow carries more weight than the NCAA, I guess you can think that, but that's a pretty whacky assertion.

A more relevant question is ‘Out of the thousands of guys that played in bowl games, how many had injuries that affected their draft status?’

Dropping from 2nd round to 5th means a lot of money.

A more relevant question is ‘Out of the thousands of guys that played in bowl games, how many had injuries that affected their draft status?’

But that same injury could occur in game 12 against MSU. Or game 11 against Rutgers. Which, if you subscribe to some of the posters here, are games that do not matter because only games which affect the CFB championship game matter.

It just becomes a slippery slope of "either play or don't". I'm not making decisions for anyone, but I cannot imagine not playing if in their shoes.

totally agree. for us it in fun and games, entertainment. for them it is cold hard business.

the poster child is former Cowboys linebacker Jaylon Smith. He was projected as a top-five pick but got hurt in the Fiesta Bowl in 2016. He fell to 34 overall. UM's Jake Butt is another. That injury nagged him his entire NFL career. He fell from the second round to the 5th.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT